Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid Appreciation Thread

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
kxGtieT.png
RBbDGSV.png

Has anyone played "Aliens: Infestation" for the Nintendo DS?

5eDBLyR.png

As I understand it, they made a Metroid game out of Aliens.

It's on my play next list. Metroid owes a lot to Aliens.
Yep. Cool game but very short. I wish there had been more levels and that most of the focus was not on the Sulaco only, for example the Weyland Yutani cargo ship mentioned during the game. Also wish the player could carry more weapons other than a main weapon, the pistol, and grenades. Interesting idea that all lives were their own characters.

This is probably the second best game that came out of the Sega Alien license.

Beastro

Arcane
Best romhacks for the series?

Too many to count, mainly for SM.

Start browsing: https://metroidconstruction.com/

Top hacks:
https://metroidconstruction.com/tophacks.php

A good channel to check out many before playing them: https://youtube.com/@ShyGuyExpress

There's also hacks like SMZ3 that combine and randomize item locations in both Super Metroid and A Link to the Past which you can then play together and switch between with some doors modded to act as portals.

Here's an example:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Completed Zero Mission. Cool metroid game, but terrible last stretch of the game.

The combination of Mother´s Brain bossfight, No suit "stealth section" and annoying last part of the map steals the game at least 2 points in rating.

Also the labyrinth is underwhelming if you played Super Metroid before. Not a big fan also about focus on grabing ledges in a lot of platforming sections. Movement doesn´t flow as well as Super Metroid, even the latter being slower.

Kind of linear but worse than Fusion in bosses, action and atmosphere. Overrated by some nuts saying is better than SM.

Overall, Fusion is better game.

Rating: 7

Next on to first AM2R and Prime walkthrough, and replaying Super Metroid.

Elthosian

Arcane
Completed Zero Mission. Cool metroid game, but terrible last stretch of the game.

The combination of Mother´s Brain bossfight, No suit "stealth section" and annoying last part of the map steals the game at least 2 points in rating.

Also the labyrinth is underwhelming if you played Super Metroid before. Not a big fan also about focus on grabing ledges in a lot of platforming sections. Movement doesn´t flow as well as Super Metroid, even the latter being slower.

Kind of linear but worse than Fusion in bosses, action and atmosphere. Overrated by some nuts saying is better than SM.

How linear is it really prior to the annoying stealth section? I haven't played ZM in over 10 years, but I recall being able to walljump and bombjump my way into zones that would have required suit upgrades otherwise. That alone amounted to more freedom than what you could get in Fusion (the main instance of sequence breaking is super convoluted) and even the Prime games (sequence breaking was only possible by exploiting bugs).

Regardless, can't see how anyone would think ZM is better than SM. One of the crazies takes I can think of.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

How linear is it really prior to the annoying stealth section? I haven't played ZM in over 10 years, but I recall being able to walljump and bombjump my way into zones that would have required suit upgrades otherwise. That alone amounted to more freedom than what you could get in Fusion (the main instance of sequence breaking is super convoluted) and even the Prime games (sequence breaking was only possible by exploiting bugs).

Regardless, can't see how anyone would think ZM is better than SM. One of the crazies takes I can think of.
Not so linear. But not so compelling as Super Metroid either.

Totally true about bombjumping, I had two instances going where I shouldn´t thanks to the trick.

I liked it but got annoyed by the last stretch of the game.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I didn't like the last bit where Samus lost her powers either.

In general I prefer a game to just stick to it's mechanics throughout, without gimmicks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played metroid dread on the (handheld) switch during my vacation. It's the first 2d metroid I have played, and I struggled a bit with some of the bosses. The second stage of the final boss in particular kicked my ass for a long time, think I spent an hour on various attempts on that boss before winning. I didn't get 100% items, because there was one I just could not manage to do (the speed boost timing was waaay too precise for me) and a few I couldn't even figure out what sequence of platforming actions could possibly lead to success.

I struggled with some of the controls the entire game, I am not used to having to hold down two buttons at the same time in order to modify the behaviour of a third button to do what I want. But the core jumping and shooting felt pretty solid. The slide move felt like a nice way to let morph ball powerup be a later addition. It looked really good for a handheld, but I also haven't owned a handheld since GBA. Performance was good except for the loading screens between areas, those took a really long time.

The plot twists at the end were very lulzy.

Samus, I am your father! Also you are the metroid! And the x parasite is friendly now!
Samus being a genetic abomination consisting of human/mawkin/chozo/metroid dna is pretty funny.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I found the plot twist rather convoluted. Some of the fans claim that it was suggested in the old Metroid Zero Mission manga but that is absolutely not the case. This was a retcon that really came out of nowhere and really feels unnecessarily tagged on as it has no emotional impact because the reveal makes not really any sense.

I find the controls of Metroid Zero Mission in general 'friendlier' than those of Super Metroid such as the wall jump which was just a source of annoyance in the SNES game. Zero Mission is definitely a more linear experience though, especially the last two areas. It makes it easier to go through if one is in the mood for a quick Metroid experience but it is not as deep as Super Metroid. Still I prefer the map design over that of Dread which for some reason is rather tiresome the second time one plays it.

I recently replayed Metroid Dread again but by the time I reached the surface zone I had just become tired of it like I did a couple of months ago when I tried to replay it. Some of the Shinespark puzzles and bomb puzzles are just really annoying sometimes. I am getting better at the bosses though as some I could defeat in three or two retries, and a couple even in one go. The EMMIs remain a pain in the ass though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The EMMIs remain a pain in the ass though.
I had to try some of them multiple times, especially the one that can see through walls but they weren't that bad imo. The timing to stun them is tricky but not *that* tricky considering you only lose like 20-30s of playtime if you die.

Beastro

Arcane
I found the plot twist rather convoluted. Some of the fans claim that it was suggested in the old Metroid Zero Mission manga but that is absolutely not the case. This was a retcon that really came out of nowhere and really feels unnecessarily tagged on as it has no emotional impact because the reveal makes not really any sense.
The story in the Metroid games stopped being good with SM.

The shit added from the mangas is stupid and makes everything about Samus' life revolve around Chozo, Metroids and Space Pirates.

After SM they really should have had her do other srufd that didn't involve Metroids or Space Pirates.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

The shit added from the mangas is stupid and makes everything about Samus' life revolve around Chozo, Metroids and Space Pirates.

After SM they really should have had her do other srufd that didn't involve Metroids or Space Pirates.
For me Fusion is worst in the series due to the writing, in SM Samus was more like a Space Marine in Fusion she became a dumb puppy

Beastro

Arcane

For me Fusion is worst in the series due to the writing, in SM Samus was more like a Space Marine in Fusion she became a dumb puppy
Fusion introduced story as it came to be into the series but it was already there in the 90s manga shit that was finally put into the games themselves through Zero Mission.

Ridley, the leader of the Space Pirates, is the one who killed Samus' family when she was a kid? She's then adopted and raised by Chozo... on Zebes of all places?

It's such incestuous story telling. Everything loops back in on itself and there's no broader world to the setting. Everything revolves around the Space Pirates, Chozo, Metroids, and Samus and she'll always be encountering various combinations of them over and over.

Why couldn't we have a bounty hunter unconnected to any of these things beyond get sucked into a fight with Space Pirates over Metroids in three games who then move on to other missions in a universe scattered about with Chozo ruins?

I hate this crap in modern story-telling. See Star Wars where Luke is originally hidden away in the ass end of the galaxy on some backwater desert planet. Only later we find it's not only where his father's from but soon everyone seems to be finding a way to have some story take place on the fucking planet like they're social media influencers trying to get pics of themselves infront of some famous landmark.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Fusion introduced story as it came to be into the series but it was already there in the 90s manga shit that was finally put into the games themselves through Zero Mission.

Ridley the leader of the Space Pirates is the one who killed Samus' family when she was a kid? She's then adopted and raised by Chozo... on Zebes of all places?

It's such incestuous story telling. Everything loops back in on itself and there's no broader world to the setting. Everything revolves around the Space Pirates, Chozo, Metroids, and Samus and she'll always be encountering various combinations of them over and over.

Why couldn't we have a bounty hunter unconnected to any of these things beyond get sucked into a fight with Space Pirates over Metroids in three games who then move on to other missions in a universe scattered about with Chozo ruins?
I probably should be thankful I never read the manga. But yeah, the original trilogy stands well on its own

The whole story design that the main character is connected to everything is a common problem in series where basically fans take over story-telling and always return to the material that made them fans and don't bring new ideas to it. As much as I liked Dread gameplay-wise, the story went back to the same well and I expect any future Metroids to do the same, sadly

Beastro

Arcane

Ridley the leader of the Space Pirates is the one who killed Samus' family when she was a kid? She's then adopted and raised by Chozo... on Zebes of all places?

I probably should be thankful I never read the manga. But yeah, the original trilogy stands well on its own

The whole story design that the main character is connected to everything is a common problem in series where basically fans take over story-telling and always return to the material that made them fans and don't bring new ideas to it. As much as I liked Dread gameplay-wise, the story went back to the same well and I expect any future Metroids to do the same, sadly

They do bring new ideas, only they manage to ruin eatablished stuff.

Everyone no matter their place in the culture wars hated what Other M did to Samus. It added to the problem of already adding Malkovich and Samus having a past in the Federation with Fusion.

It's too much background. Everything from the first few games painted Samus as a career bounty hunter, a professional whose only life was her job that needed no background and only desired the next mission to move onto.

Samus is like The Man With No Name. Don't flesh his history out or else you'll ruin him by "giving him a name".

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Samus is like The Man With No Name. Don't flesh his history out or else you'll ruin him by "giving him a name".
Good analogy. Sadly, the really "into it" fans want to know everything to the point of exhaustion

Beastro

Arcane
If people want lore they can read the manga.
That's the thing, though. Metroid game's had story, but it was silent environmental story-telling and emerged as the series built itself up (like the ruins of Old Tourian in SM). The only time words are ever really brought into it is the intro roll in SM, and that was mainly to bring people up to snuff about the events of Metroid 2 that not everyone could have played back then because of it being a Gameboy exclusive.

Samus isn't just a silent protagonist, everything in those early games is wordless and SM is the apex of the series because it did thay so well... and then they threw that and all the atmosphere of the setting away ever since to tell not show.

An aside, but the whole the EMMI thing in Dread I almost laughed at at first. Someone on the dev team watched Red Planet and decided to make a Metroid game with Amee in it as if one of the countless Alien inspired game devs in the 80s watched Aliens and made a game that included Zenomorphs:

EMMI:

Switch_MetroidDread_EMMI_01.jpg

AMEE:

54969e5ef26c22d75231e2c3eb2c0a0f.jpg

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I like parts of Fusion's storyline but I also understand that it really breaks with what Super Metroid did, and the games that followed though I really like the Prime series.
Fusion introduced story... of some famous landmark.
This is when "small universe syndrome" started to take place with everything have to be connected with another in some way. Writers but also some fans have this idea that this makes the setting even better. We see it also in other IPs. As someone who wants to be a writer I feel very divided about it, sometimes it works but so many often the connections feel so convoluted and unnecessary or answering a mystery that does not need an answer. In a forum I mentioned that I did not like at the idea at all that the Metroids were created by the Chozo and that their creation was relatively recent. I preferred the initial idea of the creatures having been created so long ago that its origins or and the name of who created them has been long lost to time.

Forgive me if I am mistaken but I have the idea that this is also a very Japanese thing. As Sakamoto seems to be want to write such types of stories I feel that that was what made him do all these connections.
Yeah, that is also my frustration with various other IPs including Fallout, the people who work on these IPs now and the fandoms, especially the new fans, thinking that these IPs revolve around recurring staples that must re appear in every new entry as otherwise they can not use the brand name. I was happy in how Fusion brought back the Metroids and the X parasites were a cool new foe now that the pirates were gone. But after Fusion I really had no idea how the IP should continue other than with the 'evil Federation faction'. Plotwise I don't find the Dread storyline a 'logical' progression of the series as it required a retcon done in a remake of an old game, and I really think the 'evil members of the ancients' is such a tired trope that it should be avoided.

Maybe it would have been better had the series moved on other stories and settings after the end of Super Metroid, leaving the Metroids, Space Pirates, Mother Brain, Ridley, and Kraid behind so that there could have been something completely new.

I think the Chozo really only became a thing in Zero Mission and Prime 1. Before that I can't recall the species really playing much of a role other than having left ruins and artifacts behind but not playing any role for the rest. The first story connection I can recall between Samus and the Chozo was in an old Super Metroid comic that appeared in a Nintendo magazine. The Japanese actually based the appearance of the old Chozo on the one in this comic, and an alien politician that appeared in it would also appear in the Metroid Zero Mission manga. One may say continuity but it could also be suggested that the writers of the later media could not come up with their own ideas.
As for the Space Pirates, in an old Japanese "Choose your own adventure" book based on the first Metroid game the Space Pirates were actually humans.
It's too much background. Everything from the first few games painted Samus as a career bounty hunter, a professional whose only life was her job that needed no background and only desired the next mission to move onto.

Nintendo itself objected to that, apparently having the idea that Samus did mission for money make her less honorable or something. When Retro wanted to put bounty hunting assignments in Metroid Prime 3 Nintendo did not want that as they see Samus more as a noble knight figure.

Elthosian

Arcane

Not so linear. But not so compelling as Super Metroid either.

Totally true about bombjumping, I had two instances going where I shouldn´t thanks to the trick.

I liked it but got annoyed by the last stretch of the game.

SM is simply a masterpiece. Extremely non-linear, had fairly interesting power-up combos that you could turn on or off depending to get an edge on certain situations and the narrative was very elegant. The only frequent gripe from people is the control having too much "inertia" or whatever but anybody complaining about that clearly wasn't good enough of a player to master them.

Elthosian

Arcane
Good analogy. Sadly, the really "into it" fans want to know everything to the point of exhaustion

With how much of a mess Other M was I'd have imagined most people would stop pushing for that but even then Metroid Dread is heavier on the plot than average for the series. It's really been a blessing for the Prime games to be "spin-offs" and Nintendo doesn't allow Retro Studios to drive the overarching plot.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

With how much of a mess Other M was I'd have imagined most people would stop pushing for that but even then Metroid Dread is heavier on the plot than average for the series. It's really been a blessing for the Prime games to be "spin-offs" and Nintendo doesn't allow Retro Studios to drive the overarching plot.
Tastes really differ on this one. I found the Prime games much more enjoyable at a certain point. I would still rather play Metroid Prime Corruption again than Dread.

Elthosian

Arcane

Tastes really differ on this one. I found the Prime games much more enjoyable at a certain point. I would still rather play Metroid Prime Corruption again than Dread.

I didn't explain myself adequately, sorry.

What I wanted to say is that Retro Studios is banned from driving the plot of the series so their games have very little plot when compared to the recent "main" games, making them much more enjoyable and gameplay focused. Corruption was the exception and even then cutscenes happened very sparsely after the first 2 hours where they tried to copy Halo.

IMO, all Prime trilogy games are better than Dread.

lightbane

Arcane
Dread's plot is explained in a literally 5 minutes-long exposition from a character that is killed shortly afterwards, then 10 minutes more tops right at the end. It's making Samus quite OP, but that would be solved by having her go somewhere else and fight a new enemy. Or hell, have someone else other than Samus be playable, if only briefly (and not make Samus retarded like Federation Command did).

Beastro

Arcane
Nintendo itself objected to that, apparently having the idea that Samus did mission for money make her less honorable or something. When Retro wanted to put bounty hunting assignments in Metroid Prime 3 Nintendo did not want that as they see Samus more as a noble knight figure.
Then they shouldn't have called her one in the first place.

And she doesn't have to be one with a mercenary mentality. The principled gun for hire has a well established history in fiction, especially in Westerns, we just don't need to know why she is one. The main focus is what we see in the Metroid games IS Samus. She is so focused on what she does that she doesn't have a privite life and doesn't need a past to explore, she lives to go into the dark corners of planets tucked away in the galaxy alone and surrounded by threats.

Metroid 2 continued what Metroid 1 established that way as she got a new contract to wipe out the Metroids once and for all. In a way, things went wrong in Super Metroid by returning to Zebes, but it was a rehash that didn't overstay its welcome like the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom