Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Quick question about barbarian. What stats should you raise? Might, Vitality but what about Destiny? Did you go for Medium armor or Dodge?
I just pump might with some vitality here and there. Went for medium armor and endurance.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Beat it.
Pleasantly surprised by ending (not story-wise, but... presentation-wise?).

Anyway,

luzzan.jpg

:D

I'll write a proper AAR.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Beat it.

:D
So, how do Daggers scales compared to swords late game? Also, any opinions on the magic school and the Armor/Evasion choice?
Never had any points to put into daggers. I was happy with swords.

Regarding armor/evasion, I went a third route. Because I had an Elder Druid with party-wide regen AND auto-heal, I just pumped damage-output on my bladedancer and my runepriest. Sure, they got knocked out, but they instantly revive on my turn because of the heal being active even on KOs. So, in the last dungeon, my blade dancer would in one turn completely wreck faces, then sometimes get knocked out, then healed back up to wreck more faces next turn. The Healer hireling really helped too (in case anyone actually died) because I only put a few points in Light (didn't have resurrection myself).
But between armor and evasion I suppose evasion since I pumped Destiny and only had armor on my runepriest (medium relic armor). All my other characters relied on Celestial shield and my druid's healing and buffs for defense.

Stabwound

Arcane
I haven't been reading the thread much because of spoilers, but has anyone actually finished the game? From what I've read, there are game-breaking bugs with some of the scripts that make the game impossible to finish past certain points without manually editting files. And this isn't just a "cracked" version problem; people with legit copies of the game have the same issue.

I believe it may have something to do with people who had Early Access game and then patched to the full game. For example, the biggest and most common problem is being locked out of the option to move from chapter 1 to 2, which is fixable by editing a line in one of the game's files.

So yeah, this game has some problems atm.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The amount of resource recyling from MMHVI is really quite impressive. Makes me think that we might not get MMXI until there's another MM-franchise game to salvage for assets.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Not necessarily...MMX was more about testing the waters than anything, MMXI will probably have a decent budget.

Quatlo

Arcane
Holy fuck those ravenous ghouls are fucking ripping my pants. One failed dodge and my dagger bites the dust.
Do I really have to juggle them with gusts of wind untill they die?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Julien said:
My repeated attempts to get this game made is going down in Ubi's history as "the great harassment war" :p

:lol:

God bless that red-headed bastard.

God, what I'd give for a beer and a recording machine with that dude somewhere more quiet than a fucking showhall where all you could do was stand up and try to out-shout the crowd.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
- identifying is expensive as fuck on Warrior, 300 gold a pop? Isn't there a cheaper way to do this for chrissake?
Get Prime to Expert and buy Identify ASAP. If you throw all skill points into it (I did on my Freemage) you can get it at lvl 3, with only a short trip into the Peninsula (where the Prime Expert is conveniently located anyway).

So far I like the game, and it keeps growing on me, but I'm not at the unconditional love stage yet.
- Early game combat is boring. Everyone misses all the time, you get poisoned all the time, so you spend more time in the inventory screen chugging potions than in the actual fight screen. HP bloat on spider queen doesn't help - it was a boring, long, easy fight.
- Overreliance on ambushes gets old very fast and makes ranged attacks useless. Ambushes from chests/barrels are fine and were done in the old games, but enemies spawning behind me whenever I pass choke points is what I expect in Doom 3, not in my Might and Magic.
- Game generally feels slow-paced. The typical M&M formula (in 3-8 at least) was to throw a lot of enemies at you, which were pushovers individually but would eventually wear down your resources. MMXL prefers to have fewer enemies that hit harder, have more health and take longer to dispatch. In this respect it feels more Wizardry than M&M. The outside world is large but a little empty, with encounters being dozens of squares apart (when the entire length of an area in MM3-5 was 16 squares).
- Getting raped because you zipped through a large empty region and hit the next one, populated by enemies that can one-shot you, is awesome.
- Loading screens take FUCKING FOREVER.

It does have this M&M "just one more quest/level/zone" feel. The only thing that's making me take breaks are the interminable loadings.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Is it just me or is Act III a huge difficulty spike?

And yeah, the loading screens are killing it for me. I'd be fine with reloading a lot on some of these fights if it didn't take 15-30 seconds every time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
- Game generally feels slow-paced. The typical M&M formula (in 3-8 at least) was to throw a lot of enemies at you, which were pushovers individually but would eventually wear down your resources. MMXL prefers to have fewer enemies that hit harder, have more health and take longer to dispatch. In this respect it feels more Wizardry than M&M. The outside world is large but a little empty, with encounters being dozens of squares apart (when the entire length of an area in MM3-5 was 16 squares).
Yeah I find the overworld to be a bit empty, but on the other hand the few fights are generally more tactical so I'm not sure if it's good or bad.

- Loading screens take FUCKING FOREVER.
This. And also I hope there aren't more dense forest areas after Act 2 because holy shit, the game is running like crap.

So this game turned out good? It seems my cunning plan of completely ignoring this thread and being pleasantly surprised on release has paid off.

Going to back completely ignoring this thread till I finish. I could use a good blobber. :thumbsup:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How many hours did it take you?
I did everything I could find beside a GM quest for some skill I didn't use and some other irrelevant thing.

According to steam, I have 64 hours. But this probably includes Early Access and my first attempt (which ended near the beginning of Act 1).
I must have spent more than 40 hours on my playthrough tho.

By the way, Uplay doesn't register completing Act III and IV (at least not for me) so I couldn't try the bonus dungeon.

Stabwound

Arcane
Can anyone tell me if the darkness spell that lets you see "hidden shit" is worth it? My party didn't consist of a character with darkness magic so I don't have it, and I don't know if it's worth picking up. Can you learn new skills like in MM6+? Is the skill even worth getting? Also, I assume there's no other "perception" ability? I liked that shit in other CRPGs where a member might notice a hidden item/wall/whatever.

The game is pretty fun, but it seems rather linear and railroaded. Then again, I just barely finished the first spider cave.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Can anyone tell me if the darkness spell that lets you see "hidden shit" is worth it?
Yes it is, the characters give audio cues when you walk by a secret area with it on, and it highlights secret passages when you're facing them. You still need a might/perception/magic test to get through, tho.

The chick that joins the party for the thief hideout quest provides that passively iirc, so you probably won't need it until she's gone.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
Played this for around 10 hours, (ironically) good for what it is. I hope it does well and the next game has slight improvements and innovations in many areas and we'll have a great blobber.

Stabwound

Arcane
You guys recommend Warrior difficulty or is it too punishing?
Warrior or nothing.

Although in Xeen it was basically just an artificial hp bloat thing. In MMX it does more than just bloat, although I'm not entirely sure what.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'd go for adventurer if I were you. Warrior probably ruins the pacing.

Although in Xeen it was basically just an artificial hp bloat thing. In MMX it does more than just bloat, although I'm not entirely sure what.
Vendors and NPC services are more expensive I think. Also resting consumes more rations or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom