Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Thank you!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
People get mad at me for saying Crusader sucks, but I think Druid is a million times better as a healer (GM Earth, GM Mysticism >>>> GM Light). Druid Elder also gets a superb auto-heal (heals lowest hp in party for three turns). Defender is also obviously better as a pure tank if you want that.
Also so many classes have Light (for Celestial shield) that picking Crusader just for that is in my opinion rather silly. For instance rune priest (best damage caster) is better at Light since he'll have higher Magic power and bigger mana pool.
Crusader lacks DW/2H specialization and is obviously meant for sword/board which isn't very good for damage-dealing (unless someone with experience knows otherwise? is there dmg abilities from shield?.

If I played again, I think I'd go with:

Hunter - Physical Damage (Master 2h, GM Spear, rest whatever) traps/harpoon seem to support my "lure around corner"/positioning playstyle (but I suppose most people play like that)
Shaman - Support (Master Mysticism, GM Earth, probably pick Air too, rest whatever) basically play it like I played my druid because he was fuckin bonkers
Mercenary - Physical Damage, occasional taunt (Master DW, master Axe, master Sword) mostly because there seem to be a lot of quest shit for this class
Freemage - dunno lol (GM Dark, GM Primordial) just wanna see those schools of magic a bit more

two human, two orc :P

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm pretty happy with Bladedancer/Bladedancer/Freemage/Rune Priest.

You get every single buff in the game, both of your casters can be defensive or incredibly offensive as necessary, and your single turn burst is so high once bladedancers are outfitted with good daggers. Plus agony is hilarious.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah I find the overworld to be a bit empty, but on the other hand the few fights are generally more tactical so I'm not sure if it's good or bad.
It's good in general, but it's not what I expected from a Might and Magic. But the real problem is from the load times; more tactical fights means you reload more often, and it's really starting to drain me. And I'm not even that far into the game. Usually I have 2 approaches if I hit something hard: try different tactics until I can develop one that works, or backtrack to another area and come back later. Normally I love to do the latter in M&M, but both alternatives involve several minutes of staring at a loading screen. Alt-tabbing to do something else interrupts the game - including pausing the loading. Ugh.

And also I hope there aren't more dense forest areas after Act 2 because holy shit, the game is running like crap.
Aside from the interminable loads it runs pretty smoothly for me. Then again I kept AA off and have most settings at high, not highest.

Although in Xeen it was basically just an artificial hp bloat thing. In MMX it does more than just bloat, although I'm not entirely sure what.
It's both HP bloat and price inflation. The price inflation bit is great, especially compared to all non-WOX M&Ms where you're basically swimming in money halfway through the game, but I find even Adventurer to have too much HP bloat as it is. I'd actually recommend Adventurer for a first playthrough - it is certainly NOT press-A-for-awesome easymode, unless you picked the ideal party composition (I didn't).

Looks like your ranger will be spread too thin.
Ranger sucks. I expected to get the Archer from MM3-6 (which was an awesome class) and instead got something even worse than the MM7 archer. They're actually like the Ranger from WOX (and MM7 too I think) - bad at everything and a waste of a slot.

Yeah, I have a dwarf defender and I kinda regret it. Would rather have a crusader.
Same. I dislike the whole taunt mechanic (reminds of DAO and WOW, not of M&M), and it's so extremely limited in usage since the game loves to throw ambushes at you with 4-5 attackers coming from multiple directions - and of course the taunt only works on one per round.

"lure around corner"/positioning playstyle (but I suppose most people play like that)
Encounter design and how hard enemy ranged attacks hit encourages this playstyle. Heh, reminds me of MM6.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ran fine first time, now black screen, put Uplay online, says it needs an update, but update won't download.

Serves me right for not pirating.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Characters should really be more compared to their own classes - warrior, hybrid, mage, than from one class to the other. Every character can have a role in a party, it's basically up to you to build 'em how you want.

For the Crusader, I think they're pretty solid, but you can build them a number of different ways. Mine just kinda fits into every role for the party. She can tank, do some average damage, and she can burst health, party heal, resurrect, debuff, buff, etc. High-end Light and Magic-pumping leads to very spiky heals and large Celestial Armors. Second-tier Shields give a retaliation attack on blocks, so that's nice. Properly fitted, the Crusader is easily the most indestructable character in the game, so that's gotta stand for something.

I do think the Ranger is the worst character by a very large margin simply because of how the mechanics work.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's released released.

Yeah, I have a dwarf defender and I kinda regret it. Would rather have a crusader.
Same. I dislike the whole taunt mechanic (reminds of DAO and WOW, not of M&M), and it's so extremely limited in usage since the game loves to throw ambushes at you with 4-5 attackers coming from multiple directions - and of course the taunt only works on one per round.
Yeah I really hate it too, aggro mechanics always come out as dev laziness to me. Would much prefer some sort of positioning mechanic.

Stabwound

Arcane
The game is released, but as far as I can tell some people have game-breaking script issues. I'm thinking it stems from having played the Early Access game, and then updating to retail. There are scripts that block access to chapter 2/3 etc, and you have to manually edit them by hand with a text editor in order to proceed in the game.

Game is fun, but yeah, it has some problems. I'm hoping the first thing someone mods is the ability to give any race any class. It's a minor thing, but it bothers me.

And yeah, the game is surprisingly difficult. I think I'm going to eventually get butt-raped on Warrior with my setup because I didn't plan much.

Zeriel

Arcane
You can't really mod the class system very much. Modding mostly entails changing values of stuff that's already there, and making new maps/quests.

List of reasons why this game is shitty and should be treated as such:

Tech issues

1) Atrocious loading times. Your mage got killed (not ko'd) by a lucky crit on a 3rd level of generic dungeon #23 ? Enjoy your 15 minutes run to nearest town through 5 loading screens.
2) Uplay.
3) Poor optimisation. It looks (and plays for that matter) like a tablet game, yet manages to run hot and drop frames occasionally even on top tier machines.

Gameplay

1) Incredibly shitty combat - Open the door, pull over corner, absorb/regen whenever you start to go low, rinse and repeat. There's no room (or mechanics for that matter) for any tactical play, difficulty comes in a form of hp bloat, AI targeting and abundant misses/blocks or random ambushes. Speaking of mechanics, since pretty much every battle happens either in a corridor or close quarters, half of the spells that root or knockback target become useless (and most bosses and elites are immune anyway). Yes i played on warrior.
2) Combat aside, there's nothing else in the game worthy of mentioning. Story ? Please. Puzzles ? too easy and for the most part, plain annoying. Grid based movement is more of hindrance and a hassle (since combat and puzzles suck ass) than a feature.
3) Albeit simple, skill system is unbalanced as fuck. Spells are a mess too. On one hand you have completely useless light radius enhancers, on other hand you have shit like regeneration or burning determination (immunity to the most CC effects for 3 turns, seriously?)

I'm disappointed codex, is that a "Legacy" part that got you ?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Excidium is such a dedicated contrarian that he brofists that despite liking the game. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Excidium is such a dedicated contrarian that he brofists that despite liking the game. :salute:
Me liking the game doesn't really change the fact that all of it is valid. But apart from the technical issues it's business as usual for Might and Magic, not exactly some extremely high standards of CRPG design to live up to. Where this game fails to live up to the name is on exploration, not sure if it's the lack of enemies or the corridor-like nature of maps, but it feels a lot more restricted.

And I don't know if my game is glitched but I haven't run into a single trap and I'm nearing chapter 3.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
you know what time it is

Okay, what's your idea of a grid-based game that did much better?

And if you can only provide one answer, there's a good chance your standards are ridiculously high.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps Excidium just enjoys fisting random strangers he met on the Internet a little too much ^^

Anyways MMX certainly has some shortcomings, still it's the most fun I have had in a long time with a RPG. Perhaps the long drought we had is to blame too, so that we all start cumming into our pants as soon as something remotely resembling half a decent new RPG game arrives.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It does but it's p. weak. Those relic items just sitting there on those super in-your-face one-room dungeons that exist just to house them and that you'll bump into eventually anyway. And talking about dungeons, any significant one is part of the main quest in some way.

There's almost no treasure to find, you mostly roam the map to scrounge as much xp as possible from enemies that are at your level range.

Last edited:
you know what time it is

Okay, what's your idea of a grid-based game that did much better?

And if you can only provide one answer, there's a good chance your standards are ridiculously high.

World of Xeen ? Wizardry 7 ? Even Paper Sorcerer was more enjoyable and its a one man effort.

Perhaps Excidium just enjoys fisting random strangers he met on the Internet a little too much ^^

Anyways MMX certainly has some shortcomings, still it's the most fun I have had in a long time with a RPG. Perhaps the long drought we had is to blame too, so that we all start cumming into our pants as soon as something remotely resembling half a decent new RPG game arrives.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it doesn't make a game any less shittier.

What I don't get is ubi praise, its just a smart move from a business point of view, when you have bunch of assets and a brand lying around . But when oldfags are fiending like that

and are willing to gobble any shit you produce as long as it has a name of the series that was good 10-15 years ago... Can you really blame them ?

Zeriel

Arcane
Paper Sorcerer? Are you serious?

Oh, jeez. I can't even continue this conversation.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK J_C, you can quote his join date now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom