Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Stabwound

Arcane
Lol shit, I thought people were overly whining about the game's performance, because it works like butter on my rather old desktop, but it's arguably unplayable on my 1-year old Dell laptop. Yeah I know laptops aren't for gaming and especially not budget Dells, but I can play a lot of games at some sort of framerate with it. Hell, there isnt even a lot of action going on at any given time in MMX.

No, but with every setting set to the absolute lowest, my frame rate drops to what appears to be about 5-6 and stays that way. The game is actually painful to try to play at that point since it looks so bad and shit pops up every 5 minutes.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Lol shit, I thought people were overly whining about the game's performance, because it works like butter on my rather old desktop, but it's arguably unplayable on my 1-year old Dell laptop. Yeah I know laptops aren't for gaming and especially not budget Dells, but I can play a lot of games at some sort of framerate with it. Hell, there isnt even a lot of action going on at any given time in MMX.

No, but with every setting set to the absolute lowest, my frame rate drops to what appears to be about 5-6 and stays that way. The game is actually painful to try to play at that point since it looks so bad and shit pops up every 5 minutes.

Especially on tiles with trees, or next to river, performance goes downhill. Yet another Unity game with poor optimization.

aris

Arcane

Relatively bad optimizing aside, the game actually seems very solid! Seeing that it seems to sell well on steam, there might be hope for more games like this from publishers in the future, which IMO is always preferable to kickstarters.

I'm now on Act 3 and the game is pissing me off with the crits on my squishies and the silly ambush fights everywhere (things popping up out of nowhere, happens so often, the first half of the game didn't bother me that much but it's getting really old now).

It's cool that they tried to make the combat more tactical compared to previous M&Ms, by giving the monsters unique abilities and so on, but the game doesn't support a tactical approach because there's no front/back rows. It's not the end of the world, but it gets annoying having to savescum to get through some part because your caster got instagibbed by a 350 crit that went through celestial armour (granted, my party is pretty shit given that I have a totally useless Ranger, but I'm sticking to it before starting a new playthrough). My taunts miss very often even though I have over 100 attack rating with my meat guys, it's pretty frustrating.

Also the load times seem to be getting worse the farther along I get. Maybe it's just an impression...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ranger really looks like crap, thinking about re-rolling with another class because most of the fights come down to melee range slogging.

Zeriel

Arcane
Think I'm going to try ranger on my second playthrough to see if I can turn it into a monster contrary to expectations, since I already have an idea that would lend itself to that.

Visperas

Augur
Is adventurer mode challenging enough or is it a walk in the park? Can you change the difficulty mid-game?

Monocause

Arcane
Finished up to Portmeyron. Been good so far w/ Berserker/Bladedancer/Runepriest/Freemage. So far my main complaints with the first section is that the class opportunities are simply badly balanced. Certain classes don't seem to have trainers (Spear and Two Handed, which means my Berserker is sitting with 9 skill points unused, and my Freemage is holding out for a Dark trainer), and item selection from merchants is horrible (I couldn't equip my blademaster with daggers until after finishing the Lighthouse). Nonetheless, it's been pretty easy.

Stat-wise I've been going 100% glass cannon. Casters get a bit of mana but otherwise it's pedal to the metal on power. I see absolutely no reason to pump vit when Celestial Armor scales with Magic and prevents 100% of damage. Between that and simply regenning through fights it's been easy to get through most battles, and I've cleared each dungeon in a single run without more than 1 or 2 potions during boss fights.

Once you finish portmeyron and another fairly short dungeon after that you'll have access to all the trainers you need. And I suggest you rethink your glass cannon party and start dropping some stuff into vit/endurance fairly soon.

Most shopkeepers seem to restock every day so if you haven't found what you need rest and reenter.

bonescraper

I haven't finished the game yet, but i want more. Oh, i really hope it sells well enough so that Limbic can make another. And then another and antoher one.

:love:

Giskard

Augur
Started a new playthrough this arvo, went in to identify items and to my suprise she only charged me 150.

Are they doing small balance updates through steam without telling anyone?

bonescraper

No, and that would suck. I'm already swimming in gold on Warrior difficulty. Seems like you chose Adventurer this time.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
it seems you don't need much perception for the secret doors btw. I have no characters in my party that I put points of perception into, just the white barrels and maybe a few points from gear, and with the eagle eye spell ive been able to open all the "perception" secret doors so far after a few tries.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Thinking about restarting my party. It's quite okay, but I feel like I've cocked up some shit and it could've been much, oh so much better if I had the knowledge that I do now. I ran with a Crusader, Bladedancer, Freemage and Druid. Idea was to tank and do some magical support with the Crusader, Bladedancer minces everyone in melee, Freemage casts some shit like chain lightning and the Druid heals, poisons, whatever. But warfare and taunt seems to be utterly useless for the Crusader and I've specced Swords on the Bladedancer when it's painfully obvious now that I'd get thrice more bang from my buck if the BD was using daggers and the Crusader was focused more on Magic. Taunt is shit and unreliable since it can (and quite often does) miss while the Crusaders shield spell is awesome and reliable, not to mention that he can buff my Bladedancer to do a lot of damage, much more if he had daggers for the extra attacks. Eh, I wouldn't mind doing it all again if it wasn't for the load times and bugs. God damnit.

Monocause

Arcane
it seems you don't need much perception for the secret doors btw. I have no characters in my party that I put points of perception into, just the white barrels and maybe a few points from gear, and with the eagle eye spell ive been able to open all the "perception" secret doors so far after a few tries.

The amount needed increases the further in the game you are. Recently i found a secret door that required 25 perception to open (guessing that cause my 21 per crusader couldn't, but my 25 per bladedancer could). The first few passages I found 15 was enough.

Monocause

Arcane
Thinking about restarting my party. It's quite okay, but I feel like I've cocked up some shit and it could've been much, oh so much better if I had the knowledge that I do now. I ran with a Crusader, Bladedancer, Freemage and Druid. Idea was to tank and do some magical support with the Crusader, Bladedancer minces everyone in melee, Freemage casts some shit like chain lightning and the Druid heals, poisons, whatever. But warfare and taunt seems to be utterly useless for the Crusader and I've specced Swords on the Bladedancer when it's painfully obvious now that I'd get thrice more bang from my buck if the BD was using daggers and the Crusader was focused more on Magic. Taunt is shit and unreliable since it can (and quite often does) miss while the Crusaders shield spell is awesome and reliable, not to mention that he can buff my Bladedancer to do a lot of damage, much more if he had daggers for the extra attacks. Eh, I wouldn't mind doing it all again if it wasn't for the load times and bugs. God damnit.

Warfare skills CtH is exactly the same as your ordinary CtH, so it's not warfare that's messed up, you need more attack value. Buff your weapon skills and put a couple of points in perception.

A DW swordwielding bladedancer should be a perfectly viable build.

Also, guys - if you have someone capable of using water magic, do spend at least a single point in it. The reason for it is that Ice Bolt is an awesome spell; doesn't deal a lot of damage but check the debuff it applies. Works in boss fights.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyone redeem the relics from the Uplay store, got the mage companion or tried the Meow dungeon? Curious about those. Only have 20 points and not sure where to spend when i get enough.

Zeriel

Arcane
Mage companion is fairly meh--casts most of the combat buffs, but they have very short durations (2-12 turns), and it's once a day. Compared to buffs like +10% XP from monsters or +10% gold/+15% items.

bonescraper

I got the mage companion, but Uplay stopped registering my progress after act 1... I want to go to the Supreme Temple of Meow ;(

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Warfare skills CtH is exactly the same as your ordinary CtH, so it's not warfare that's messed up, you need more attack value. Buff your weapon skills and put a couple of points in perception.

A DW swordwielding bladedancer should be a perfectly viable build.

Also, guys - if you have someone capable of using water magic, do spend at least a single point in it. The reason for it is that Ice Bolt is an awesome spell; doesn't deal a lot of damage but check the debuff it applies. Works in boss fights.

My Crusader does have quite a bit of perception and is well invested in the Weapon skill. I just feel that I'm spreading him a bit thin right now and I invested more in the Magic stats and Light Magic skill he could be a much better asset to the team. Swords have worked well for my BD so far, but I feel Daggers + the Light Magic weapon buff would have greater synergy. My Druid has Water magic and Ice Bolt is awesome, I agree.

By the way are Relics hand placed or is finding them random as well?

Monocause

Arcane
My Crusader does have quite a bit of perception and is well invested in the Weapon skill. I just feel that I'm spreading him a bit thin right now and I invested more in the Magic stats and Light Magic skill he could be a much better asset to the team. Swords have worked well for my BD so far, but I feel Daggers + the Light Magic weapon buff would have greater synergy. My Druid has Water magic and Ice Bolt is awesome, I agree.

By the way are Relics hand placed or is finding them random as well?

I'm pretty sure the placement is static, what can be randomised would be the relics itself. Let's check this out:

In the mysterious crypt (next to portmeyron) I found a pair of boots called "Holy Sandals", i think. Their second lvl up grants +8 to magic. Did you get the same?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Start the game, quit it, re-launch again through Uplay (and not steam) and your shit will get unlocked.

Relics are static drops, yes.

BTW A nice relic you won't find by puzzle-solving or killing stuff
The Trader in the thief house in Slums sell a pair of unidentified relic gloves

Monocause

Arcane
How OP is the relic set unlocked via Uplay? It sounds like something that could ruin the balance :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom