Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Lhynn

Arcane
Ok, can someone please give me a breakdown of each skill in the game? detailing what do points do and the special effects at novice, expert, master and grandmaster?
What i would also love to see is the formula for blocking.

Im actually disappointed on the mercenary, no weapon grandmastery (all masteries, cpt bow with expert in the biggest whogivesashit i have seen), grandmastery on dodge AND medium armor, plus mastery on heavy armor (what the fuck). mastery on dual wield, two hands and shield (again, what the fuck), warfare seems unimpressive .

So its like a class that tries to avoid the biggest bonuses in the skills that matters like they would burn him if he took them.
Guess i could go warfare + dodge + armor and have a beautiful golden snitch.

Arkeus

Arcane
So its like a class that tries to avoid the biggest bonuses in the skills that matters like they would burn him if he took them.
Guess i could go warfare + dodge + armor and have a beautiful golden snitch.
While i don't know if it works because i don't have a Mercenary myself, both Dodge grandmastery and shield mastery gets you a retaliatation attack on dodge/block.

This means that if you use the Warfare grandmaster taunt Aoe, you can then do up to two retaliatory attack on each enemy around. From then on, if you have a sword that gives you double attacks, or if you crite, it multiplies.

Basically, Mercenery is a weird kind of character that does more damage when attacked (think Ravenous Ghoul).

Swords too?

Swords = 1 extra attack on crits.

Daggers = 2 extra attacks per dagger, so 6 attacks per round at GM.

Dual-wielding also gives you an extra attack on your offhand at GM iirc, so it's 7, without counting special daggers.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah arkeus, but you are listing 2 skills at grandmaster and another at master for the thing to bloody work. I mean, talk about a later bloomer.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Daggers become very good once you hit either Expert or Master, the one where your crit chance goes way up. My Bladedancer saw an immediate spike of damage once that happened. My Scout dual-wields axes and he hits like a truck when he crits, too.

I'm wondering how deadly a variety dual-wield combo would be. Like two daggers, two swords is one thing... but what about an axe/mace combo, or a dagger/sword, etc. Problem would be spreading points, obviously, but a character like the Barbarian isn't going to be spreading very many points anyway.

Finished up to Portmeyron. Been good so far w/ Berserker/Bladedancer/Runepriest/Freemage. So far my main complaints with the first section is that the class opportunities are simply badly balanced. Certain classes don't seem to have trainers (Spear and Two Handed, which means my Berserker is sitting with 9 skill points unused, and my Freemage is holding out for a Dark trainer), and item selection from merchants is horrible (I couldn't equip my blademaster with daggers until after finishing the Lighthouse). Nonetheless, it's been pretty easy.

Stat-wise I've been going 100% glass cannon. Casters get a bit of mana but otherwise it's pedal to the metal on power. I see absolutely no reason to pump vit when Celestial Armor scales with Magic and prevents 100% of damage. Between that and simply regenning through fights it's been easy to get through most battles, and I've cleared each dungeon in a single run without more than 1 or 2 potions during boss fights.

Where's the Mace Expert trainer? I'm almost done with Act 2, but I can't find it either in Seahaven or Sorpigal.

I checked your post on the Steam community page (excellent post btw), but unfortunately it's not in Sorpigal's Training Center - you can only train Bows, Crossbows and Air Magic there.

Nevermind, I missed the extra portrait there - duh. Thanks!

Last edited:
Finished up to Portmeyron. Been good so far w/ Berserker/Bladedancer/Runepriest/Freemage. So far my main complaints with the first section is that the class opportunities are simply badly balanced. Certain classes don't seem to have trainers (Spear and Two Handed, which means my Berserker is sitting with 9 skill points unused, and my Freemage is holding out for a Dark trainer), and item selection from merchants is horrible (I couldn't equip my blademaster with daggers until after finishing the Lighthouse). Nonetheless, it's been pretty easy.

Stat-wise I've been going 100% glass cannon. Casters get a bit of mana but otherwise it's pedal to the metal on power. I see absolutely no reason to pump vit when Celestial Armor scales with Magic and prevents 100% of damage. Between that and simply regenning through fights it's been easy to get through most battles, and I've cleared each dungeon in a single run without more than 1 or 2 potions during boss fights.

Are you playing on Warrior? Because it's pretty common to get one-shot critted on your squishies - if your taunts fail or get blocked - on Warrior later on, even through Celestial Armour.

Last edited:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Are you playing on Warrior? Because it's pretty common to get one-shot critted on your squishies - if your taunts fail or get blocked - on Warrior later on, even through Celestial Armour.

Even if your taunts succeed, sometimes. Those Crush spells don't give a damn about taunts or Celestial Armour.

I'm playing on Warrior. By my calculations with Grandmaster Light Magic Celestial Armor should give returns of either +3 or +4 per point of Magic, which is as good or better on single turn survivability as boosting Vitality with all the benefits that Celestial Armor brings. In the meantime, I've not had anything pierce it in a single shot. Only time I've even gotten hurt was when I tried stretching it over 2 turns vs. bosses, and regeneration clears that right up.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm playing on Warrior. By my calculations with Grandmaster Light Magic Celestial Armor should give returns of either +3 or +4 per point of Magic, which is as good or better on single turn survivability as boosting Vitality with all the benefits that Celestial Armor brings. In the meantime, I've not had anything pierce it in a single shot. Only time I've even gotten hurt was when I tried stretching it over 2 turns vs. bosses, and regeneration clears that right up.

It'll happen once spellcasters start critting you for 400 a pop, or if you don't watch what you're doing and feed Ravenous Ghouls extra attacks. That said, still fantastic spell, at GM it's absorbing about 260~ for me per cast.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think heals are kind of underrated. If you use them to top people off they suck, but if you use them to recover unconscious people (and you have perfect turn order control so why not let people fall unconscious, they don't miss attacks) you won't over heal, and it's *way* more efficient than armor. Even with no points in skill or mastery, regen heals like 50 hp to the entire party, that's 200 fucking hp for 30 mana. Celestial armor is like 55 or some shit for 25 mana. As long as your healer doesn't bite the dust and you have a big enough hp buffer to keep people in a useful zone where they're not being overhealed and not staying unconscious after being healed, you're golden.

funkadelik

Arcane
Just got done with a 30-hour marathon of MMXL. Oh my god this is what I've been waiting for so long. Time to hit the sack HARD!!!

Edit: The Jaguar Warrior Orcs can pierce through the Celestial Armor. Also some enemies reflect lots of damage back and the celestial armor doesn't get taken into account.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just read Zed's guide and I agree with everything apart from going endurance on the blade dancer.
I think you're better of pumping dodge. Combined with destiny you'll never get hit AND you'll retaliate, making him even more deadly.

Endurance is better on barbarian. It gives him a huge health pool so you can let him sit at 50% health with celestial shield up to pump his damage without being in immediate danger.

Lerk

Learned
Help a :retarded: newfag out guys. Just started out with this party:
Mercenary, Blade Dancer, Rune Priest, Shaman
Seems a pretty solid team so far (playing on Warrior) but I've only just cleared the spider caves in Sorpigal, so yeah.
I've noticed a glaring omission though, I've not specced my Shaman into any melee skill, derp. Is there somewhere I can train him up nearby or am I better off rerolling?

Zeriel

Arcane
Doesn't really matter? Just put a point into whatever skill you want when you level up. There is no "novice trainers".

If you are planning to primarily cast spells with a hybrid spellcaster, you should probably go foci as long as they can get it to at least expert.

aris

Arcane
Playing it now! Seems really fucking good so far! Massive improvement over the early access, and it's pretty hard too.

Lerk

Learned
Doesn't really matter? Just put a point into whatever skill you want when you level up. There is no "novice trainers".

If you are planning to primarily cast spells with a hybrid spellcaster, you should probably go foci as long as they can get it to at least expert.
I guess in the great scheme of things it probably doesn't, just seems that starting out it'd be nice to have a melee attack that doesn't cost resources, as it is now on the shaman I'm passing up free damage when I'm out of mana and hitting block instead. Guess this is only an issue starting out, though.

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Does anyone know, if there is any way to regenerate mana different than resting/potions? Like a mage hireling who can do that once a day?

April

Educated
Promoted shaman getting hit and various weapons with mana leech.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hardest fight so far was against the earth elemental boss in the forge, playing on warrior difficulty, those petrify spells were a problem due to limited protection scrolls and he hits like a train.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
at expert warfare there's an unavoidable, sure-to-hit attack for only 10 mana.

Unstoppable attack only guarantees you won't miss, but it can be blocked, so it's not as great as it sounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom