Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, there are differences between power disparities and a broken mechanic. It does appear that range is a broken mechanic, though i am tempted to try out a range-centric team to really check if that's true soon.

Zeriel

Arcane
I want to try 2x Windsword + 2x ranged, but eh, seems like a lot of bother for no actual gain. I mean, even if you can kite indefinitely on any fight, ranged still don't do as much or more damage than bladedancers, so it's all hand-wavey why bother.

Of course much of it is encounter design, not so much combat mechanics themselves. In a MMXL mod in which the game never spammed ambush spawns on your ass and you could always see your enemies coming, ranged could be quite strong, maybe even too strong.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't like that solution. I'd just rejigger the skill bonuses to be more rational--increased range effectively does nothing in 95% of all combat scenarios, I'd replace things like that with additional attacks or more damage. But "doubling" is way too much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LbLKdRI.png

:lol: No Cleveland Mark Blakemore reference? Maybe in M&MXI.

Is it me or does air magic damage suck balls? I'm doing lots of damage with my fire mage, but shaman with air magic on expert gets his spells resisted 60% of the time and if he hits, he does like 30% of damage compared to fire magic. Entangle does more damage than his lightning bolts.

For some reason they decided to put massive air resistance on every enemy. Pretty disappointing. That said, when it does work, air magic easily does the most damage.

Really? Because when I created a new character and looks at the skills Fire definitely did far more damage with all stats and skills equivalent. And the Runepriest's Searing Rune looks like it should essentially be a double-damage cyclone with greater area of effect.

Zeriel

Arcane
Is it me or does air magic damage suck balls? I'm doing lots of damage with my fire mage, but shaman with air magic on expert gets his spells resisted 60% of the time and if he hits, he does like 30% of damage compared to fire magic. Entangle does more damage than his lightning bolts.

For some reason they decided to put massive air resistance on every enemy. Pretty disappointing. That said, when it does work, air magic easily does the most damage.

Really? Because when I created a new character and looks at the skills Fire definitely did far more damage with all stats and skills equivalent. And the Runepriest's Searing Rune looks like it should essentially be a double-damage cyclone with greater area of effect.

Fire is fairly decent aoe, but it scales less aggressively than air. Fire does a flat amount per spell, chain lightning scales off number of targets, and does absurd amounts at 3. Lightning bolt has lower minimum than fire bolt, but higher max. In addition, if you are playing a Freemage you can Master Fire, and GM Air.

However realistically fire resists are much lower across the board, so fire will be more effective overall. If resists were equal, cyclones + chain lightning would demolish everything.

I don't like that solution. I'd just rejigger the skill bonuses to be more rational--increased range effectively does nothing in 95% of all combat scenarios, I'd replace things like that with additional attacks or more damage. But "doubling" is way too much.

It would be cool if Warfare had separate skills for Ranged. Say, your Ranger could activate a defensive firing mode, which defensively fired on all attacking enemies and would stop their attack on a crit. Then the 50% damage malus would be bearable, still allowing you to deal decent damage overall but unfocused and therefore more useful for the utility.

Fire is fairly decent aoe, but it scales less aggressively than air. Fire does a flat amount per spell, chain lightning scales off number of targets, and does absurd amounts at 3. Lightning bolt has lower minimum than fire bolt, but higher max. In addition, if you are playing a Freemage you can Master Fire, and GM Air.

However realistically fire resists are much lower across the board, so fire will be more effective overall. If resists were equal, cyclones + chain lightning would demolish everything.

Chain lightning at level 1: 15-36. Fire Burst: 73-86. Searing Rune 60-73. Fire Burst is over 3x as powerful in base power than Chain Lightning, and Searing Rune is almost at that point. I'm pretty sure that all magic scales the same with stats/skills, and only lightning can scale up to 3x from more targets in the square (where it is still outclassed by fire).

Zeriel

Arcane
Searing Rune is a class promotion, not really a fire spell even though technically it is. Also, it's comparable to Cyclone, which I'd argue is much better.

Not going to argue on Chain Lightning, though I think it suffers from the same problem (or bonus!) as Lightning Bolt: much wider range in damage, but potentially also significantly higher max.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally finished it with my party ending up at level 32. Good fun, the whole game, very good; even if the final stages started to wear my enthusiasm down with the grind a bit. Another go at some point, but now I'm just going to wallow in this sweet sensation of accomplishment for a moment.

Searing Rune is a class promotion, not really a fire spell even though technically it is. Also, it's comparable to Cyclone, which I'd argue is much better.

Searing Rune does nearly 50% more damage and and affects the enemy square and all adjacent squares instead of just the enemy square. Searing rune lasts 3 turns while Cyclone lasts 4. Aside from the enemy hunting ability how is Cyclone anywhere near better?

And seeing how Runepriest is the only class that can GM fire anyway I don't see why Searing Rune shouldn't be lumped together with the other GM skills.

Arkeus

Arcane
Chain lightning at level 1: 15-36. Fire Burst: 73-86. Searing Rune 60-73. Fire Burst is over 3x as powerful in base power than Chain Lightning, and Searing Rune is almost at that point. I'm pretty sure that all magic scales the same with stats/skills, and only lightning can scale up to 3x from more targets in the square (where it is still outclassed by fire).
...Chain lighting is 16-37 , and x3= 48-111 for 30 mana, at expert. Fire Burst is a grandmaster spell, and it costs 60 mana. If you want to make that comparison, compare it to the "improved" version of chain lightning, Thunderstorm, which is 31-49 for 50 Mana. 31-49x3= 93-147.

So, no, you have your math wrong.

Sorry, i need help again: in sacred grove level 1, i have a silver key, but i can't manage to open either of the two blocked doors. where are the levers?

Edit: nevermind, it was something in the next level. I do wonder though what's up with the star i see on the bottom left of the area map- i can't get there :-(

Last edited:
...Chain lighting is 16-37 , and x3= 48-111 for 30 mana, at expert. Fire Burst is a grandmaster spell, and it costs 60 mana. If you want to make that comparison, compare it to the "improved" version of chain lightning, Thunderstorm, which is 31-49 for 50 Mana. 31-49x3= 93-147.

Chain lightning average damage = 25.5. Fire Burst average damage = 79.5, which is over 3x ahead of Chain Lightning in base damage. Even a 3x modifier puts Fire Burst ahead in damage.

Ahh, OK, thunderstorm is pretty beastly. I thought Cyclone was the Grandmaster spell, previous posts said it was Cyclone and Chain Lightning that were OP. But even Thunderstorm can't match Searing Rune, since Searing Rune has nearly 2x the base damage (before thunderstorm is tripled), while also dealing damage for 3 turns in a row and having a larger AoE.

Zeriel

Arcane

Searing Rune does nearly 50% more damage and and affects the enemy square and all adjacent squares instead of just the enemy square. Searing rune lasts 3 turns while Cyclone lasts 4. Aside from the enemy hunting ability how is Cyclone anywhere near better?

And seeing how Runepriest is the only class that can GM fire anyway I don't see why Searing Rune shouldn't be lumped together with the other GM skills.

Chain Lightning isn't GM.

Anyway, Searing Rune vs. Cyclone... first of all, probably not fair of me to compare them, because Cyclone is best spell in game if you ignore resists. Cyclone is the only damage spell in the game that can be "pre-loaded" in the same fashion Celestial Armor can be. Approach enemies around corner. Cast cyclone. Cast it a few times if you like. Aggro enemies with 3-4 cyclones approaching them, unload chain lightning. Not feeling cheesy enough? Cast a full mana pool of cyclones around the corner, rest, repeat.

Do I need to go on?

Zeriel

Arcane

Sorry, i need help again: in sacred grove level 1, i have a silver key, but i can't manage to open either of the two blocked doors. where are the levers?

The blocked doors (if they are the glowing colored ones) require the appropriate blessing from the Elemental Forge.

Chain Lightning isn't GM.

Anyway, Searing Rune vs. Cyclone... first of all, probably not fair of me to compare them, because Cyclone is best spell in game if you ignore resists. Cyclone is the only damage spell in the game that can be "pre-loaded" in the same fashion Celestial Armor can be. Approach enemies around corner. Cast cyclone. Cast it a few times if you like. Aggro enemies with 3-4 cyclones approaching them, unload chain lightning. Not feeling cheesy enough? Cast a full mana pool of cyclones around the corner, rest, repeat.

Do I need to go on?

Yes, but that's intentionally cheesing the game. Searing Rune is still the flat out most damaging spell in the game.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

The blocked doors (if they are the glowing colored ones) require the appropriate blessing from the Elemental Forge.
No, they open automatically after you get the stone from level 2.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In the sacred grove, I think the glowing doors at level 1 open on their own after you kill the madman downstairs.

Gah, beaten to it...

Zeriel

Arcane

No, they open automatically after you get the stone from level 2.

Oh, whoops. My bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finally playing this. So far, looooooooooooooooads of fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. Like... fun. Remember that? Shit was fun. So is this. So far.

Zeriel

Arcane
"Please buy this game. Don't pirate it, please." - Julien.

Let the guilt tripping begin, gentlemen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom