Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't like that solution. I'd just rejigger the skill bonuses to be more rational--increased range effectively does nothing in 95% of all combat scenarios, I'd replace things like that with additional attacks or more damage. But "doubling" is way too much.

It would be cool if Warfare had separate skills for Ranged. Say, your Ranger could activate a defensive firing mode, which defensively fired on all attacking enemies and would stop their attack on a crit. Then the 50% damage malus would be bearable, still allowing you to deal decent damage overall but unfocused and therefore more useful for the utility.
Yeah, that's kinda what sucks about ranged combat in this game. If it had some utility, the lower damage might be worth it. But it is just low damage, period, with no mitigating circumstances or effects to make that not suck donkey balls.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finally playing this. So far, looooooooooooooooads of fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. Like... fun. Remember that? Shit was fun. So is this. So far.
Where you at? The game doesn't really kick off until you hit Seahaven.

Only started, so finished a couple of beginning quest, just roaming around the countryside, explored Sorpigal, and did two dungeons. Lacks a little more freedom (especially in dungeons, but the basics are really compelling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting, they're talking about why Ubisoft felt they couldn't retain the scifi elements in M&M.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hmm. Would people suggest Warfare or Mysticism as a 6th skill on a Crusader that is planning GM Sword, Heavy, Light Magic and Master Shield + Endurance? Or maybe Sceptic is right and I should master Warfare instead of Endurance?
Heh, I saw this when the thread has already moved 4 pages.... I guess you've already decided on what you're doing. I'll reiterate that I'd take Warfare over Mysticism, also because Warfare will give you some mana on top of everything else it does, and while your Crusader is casting spells (not just his Warfare abilities) that's not what he'll be doing ALL the time (otherwise what's the point of GM Axe), so a huge mana pool is not needed. If you do end up having mana issues then you can switch to pumping more into Mysticism, but I'd at least get Expert Warfare for the silence (invaluable, and even more useful on multiple characters - you're gonna get ambushed by multiple casters a LOT in act 2 and up).

To be honest I'm not sure if you can find secrets without the spell or a follower that provides it passively, I just assume you can. I walk with it on p. much all the time.
You can, that's how I found my first secret (was a crack, I think in Den). Didn't even have the spell, and didn't have the hireling (still don't).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'll reiterate that I'd take Warfare over Mysticism, also because Warfare will give you some mana on top of everything else it does, and while your Crusader is casting spells (not just his Warfare abilities) that's not what he'll be doing ALL the time (otherwise what's the point of GM Axe)

Crusader is using a sword :P

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Rosalie (the chick that gives you a quest to go to the thieves den to get the book) finds secrets for you though.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Livestream on the Ubisoft channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/team/ubisoft

Their PC is positioned behind them, as evidenced by the burning GPU.
1_30_2014_1_20_16_PM.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Julien reveals that the MMX DLC will take place after the main game ends. Further DLC and/or sequels dependent on the game's success. They're not sure if they'd want to make additional DLC or go straight to a sequel.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Did someone say something about piracy?

Just dropping by to say that the pirated installer I have is also pretty pleasantly old-school, it even has 8bit musix :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ubisoft defines good sales of this game as "several hundred thousand". The game was viable only due to its heavy asset reuse, and future sequels (if we get any) are expected to continue doing that. Ubisoft are in fact putting together an "Ashan asset library" that all M&M games will use.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ubisoft defines good sales of this game as "several hundred thousand". The game was viable only due to its heavy asset reuse, and future sequels (if we get any) are expected to continue doing that. Ubisoft are in fact putting together an "Ashan asset collection" that all M&M games will use.

That's not a bad idea at all. I have reiterated many a time my belief that BG2 and some of the old M&M's were grand because of constant asset re-use that enabled them to expand content instead of building everything from scratch.

Asset re-use should be standard industry protocol if you ask me.

Arkeus

Arcane
That's not a bad idea at all. I have reiterated many a time my belief that BG2 and some of the old M&M's were grand because of constant asset re-use that enabled them to expand content instead of building everything from scratch.

Asset re-use should be standard industry protocol if you ask me.
Yeah, i am not bothered by asset reuse at all for those kind of games. I'd much prefer they make bigger and bigger MM games with more polished mechanics than spend all the budgets on building everything from scratch.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, assest reuse is a great idea and allows for a ton of gameplay evolution; just look at King's Bounty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They're talking about Dark Messiah now. They say they might conceivably make a game like that in the future, but its plot won't be as dark. They think Dark Messiah was too grimdark for a Might & Magic title.

They also regret releasing it at the same time as Oblivion. Julien seems to think Oblivion kinda sucked and prefers Morrowind. :)

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Someone ask them in the chat window if they are going to fix the goddamn ranged combat.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shit. I may have screwed up my game for good. I went to Skull Rock to get the Sword for the Naga and found Blackfang's Chest there as well. Now I'm on the part of the main quest where I need to give it to some bandits, except the quest log wants me to find it first before it will let me give it. Any ideas or is that it?

Zeriel

Arcane
Shit. I may have screwed up my game for good. I went to Skull Rock to get the Sword for the Naga and found Blackfang's Chest there as well. Now I'm on the part of the main quest where I need to give it to some bandits, except the quest log wants me to find it first before it will let me give it. Any ideas or is that it?

You first have to go to the Sun Hind (ship in the same general area), then it'll send you to the Skull Rock. If you follow the quest it will resolve itself.

Arkeus

Arcane
You have to find the shipwreck and THEN go back to skull rock. Apparently it unbreaks it (someone else mentionned having to do that).

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You first have to go to the Sun Hind (ship in the same general area), then it'll send you to the Skull Rock. If you follow the quest it will resolve itself.

I did. Didn't work. Will try some more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom