Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I got my quote in the official trailer, Ubisoft doesn't even have to pay me to be a shill for their products. :troll:

Zeriel

Arcane
It's rather telling to me that the majority of complaints leveled at MMXL can be leveled at the previous titles, or are even worse in the previous titles. People on one hand declaimed that MMXL was going to be a pile of shovelware trash, and then on the other hand criticize it for not being perfect.

Mortmal

Arcane
Reading metacritic theres many might and magic , oldschool, fans that arent too pleased , thats not so surprising sceptic does not like it . I think the game is lot of fun , its better than the sum of its parts none of them especially shine. Fights are rarely strategic , except boss battles but they rely mostly on luck, one missed block and bye bye party members, most of the time enemies popup out of thin air and you are flanked . Theres lot of criticism about grimrock and its waltz combat, but this one isnt any better. Unbalanced classes, the game is not forgiving to an suboptimal party like the premade party , puzzles already seen ages ago, how many times did i solve the three levers three doors puzzles ? Lot of backtracking to refill rations and potions to artificially make the game longer. A very generic fantasy world, no risks at all,no sci fi , no sillyness, understandable seeing even warhorse studio cant publish their game nowaday, but still....

There is quite a lot of silliness and Cameos of Sci-fi stuff.

Other stuff i don't know, as they almost solely hinge on 'you are playing a suboptimal party' so i guess if you get a bad party you might rely on luck or need to backtrack for rations.

EDIT: It does seem to me that a lot of the complaints are things that would only happen if you are unlucky enough to both get the default party and then not be careful about potion/ration management (and increase the wrong stats/spells/gear).

Maybe a LOT of my 'Crusaders don't suck from the get go' from me being ridiculously lucky and getting a relentless sword in the Lighthouse (that i kept until act III), as it meant my crusader never had issues using warfare, for example.

Thats what happened i made a party quite similar to the premade one and it wasnt good at all , now with my new setup i stormed through the same encounters without problems. Another BIG issue is your characters dont get xp if uncounscious or dead , xp is not party shared, so if any slight trouble happen during fight you are forced to reload a save,if you dont they will lag behind . I dont remember might and magic requring so much savescumming. I am sure they will lose many people too with the very first dungeon where everything poisons you and you get no antidotes. I 've seen people asking if the game is a good introduction to the genre , hell no, its unforgiving and harder than many blobbers , a good thing for veteran like me, but not for a begginner , 3-4-5 are much easier.

Arkeus

Arcane
It's rather telling to me that the majority of complaints leveled at MMXL can be leveled at the previous titles, or are even worse in the previous titles. People on one hand declaimed that MMXL was going to be a pile of shovelware trash, and then on the other hand criticize it for not being perfect.
Just saw a guy complaining that "there are not enough spells, even MMVI had 11 per schools" and "you got something better with expert/master in earlier MM, while in this one you don't get anything better with the spells. You could have had regenerations going from 2 turns on novice to 4 grandmasters!".

Made me facepalm rather hard, given that no one was going O.o

Thats what happened i made a party quite similar to the premade one and it wasnt good at all , now with my new setup i stormed through the same encounters without problems. Another BIG issue is your characters dont get xp if uncounscious or dead , xp is not party shared, so if any slight trouble happen during fight you are forced to reload a save,if you dont they will lag behind . I dont remember might and magic requring so much savescumming. I am sure they will lose many people too with the very first dungeon where everything poisons you and you get no antidotes. I 've seen people asking if the game is a good introduction to the genre , hell no, its unforgiving and harder than many blobbers , a good thing for veteran like me, but not for a begginner , 3-4-5 are much easier.
*Cough Cough* you get two antidotes (or 4) when you talk to Marcus, and then every spiders has high chance of dropping one on death.

But yeah, knowing the game changes everything, as you know you should get Burning Determination as fast as possible (goodbye stuns/paralysis, no savescumming required!), that you have enough money BEFORE going to the spider queen to buy Cure poison or/and regeneration (depending on drops in chests), etc etc.

Also, i never reload after killing a group of mobs even if someone is dead when i killed them, but i can understand people that do (and i have a crusader with light magic, so that almost never happens).

Zeriel

Arcane
For what it's worth, I consider "the game is complicated and unbalanced" to be a compliment, not an insult. It's pretty funny to me seeing this stuff on the Codex. Games that are hard enough to make people reroll being frustrating? Well, that's why the industry makes boring games that require nothing of the player. You got lost and didn't know where to go, then died when you wandered into the wrong area? Well, that's why the much-hated quest compass exists.

Why these very same people aren't happy with the industry as a whole confuses me. When an alternative is presented they slag it off for the very reasons I consider it good.

I am sure they will lose many people too with the very first dungeon where everything poisons you and you get no antidotes.

Please stop trolling, antidotes drop from every spider and are in many of the chests. In fact, the best part of all this is that when EA first launched, there were people in this exact thread complaining how dumbed down it was that antidotes were dropping from the same monsters that poison you.

imweasel

anybody have coordinates for the dog? I am so fucking tired of keeping that spell up.
I don't think you can hire the dog (Spike) unless you have the warden promotion quest. Anyway, Spike is near the entrance to the Lost City in the Yon Chal forest, there are some bandits there that you need to do away with first though. BTW you can discover secrets with the blessing of Malassa too, you wouldn't need the dog then.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
This game... I'm not exactly fully convinced yet, but I have some serious trouble enjoying it.

Arkeus

Arcane
Please stop trolling, antidotes drop from every spider and are in many of the chests. In fact, the best part of all this is that when EA first launched, there were people in this exact thread complaining how dumbed down it was that antidotes were dropping from the same monsters that poison you.
I go FFF at the complaints on 'unfair' RNG, given that's it very much NOT unfair.

The people who do played MMVI/MMVII a lot but still have trouble with MMX being 'linear' or 'unfair' are probably those who are too used to knowing exactly what you can do when in those games, and having a hard time to anticipate stuff in MMX.

It's... kinda ridiculous, given how heavy-handed MMX is about this:
Players need to know about secrets = we force Rosalee in your team, and have the Den of thieves have a secret for getting to level 2, so you are forced to learn about them.
Players need to know about bad status? poison first quest, with antidotes given.
Players need to know about prevention of bad status? Elemental forge boss is a paralyze/stun one, and you get a Burning Determination scroll just before fighting it (no RNG there, everyone gets it).
You are entering a dangerous zone? you get 'gateway monsters'.

Etc etc etc.

Mortmal

Arcane
For what it's worth, I consider "the game is complicated and unbalanced" to be a compliment, not an insult. It's pretty funny to me seeing this stuff on the Codex. Games that are hard enough to make people reroll being frustrating? Well, that's why the industry makes boring games that require nothing of the player. You got lost and didn't know where to go, then died when you wandered into the wrong area? Well, that's why the much-hated quest compass exists.

Why these very same people aren't happy with the industry as a whole confuses me. When an alternative is presented they slag it off for the very reasons I consider it good.

I am sure they will lose many people too with the very first dungeon where everything poisons you and you get no antidotes.

Please not this argument, its not because someone criticize the game that he's trolling, i was expecting better from codexers. The loot generation is a bit random then it seems, during my firt attempt there was barely enough drops, next try the bladedancer was dodging everything so it was not an issue. It seems i am not getting the same relic items either , lot of talk about ton of relic swords i got a few relics but no sword yet.

Also as i said for the veterans like me its a good thing the game is hard, but its indeed easy to wander in the wrong area , for exemple the lost city , first 2 levels are the main quest third is much more hard and likely for a later stage of the game. The only way to know that is to die, not even a possibility to flee when you see the ghouls vastly overpower you, while earlier ghouls are doable. its sometimes needlessly frustrating.

Zeriel

Arcane
Re: wandering into your death...

This is the DNA of the series, though. This is the shit that when they talked about it before release we were like "Bravissimo, Julien, Bravissimo!" and now it's a legitimate line of criticism? Bitch about the ranged combat. Complain about the rather fenced-in world that uses a lot of railroading even after Act I (Karthal IMO and every other town should be reachable as soon as the game starts, for instance). Anything but mistaking a virtue of the series as some "gotcha!" journalism moment.

Arkeus

Arcane
Please not this argument, its not because someone criticize the game that he's trolling, i was expecting better from codexers. The loot generation is a bit random then it seems, during my firt attempt there was barely enough drops, next try the bladedancer was dodging everything so it was not an issue. It seems i am not getting the same relic items either , lot of talk about ton of relic swords i got a few relics but no sword yet.
Being given antidotes while being told to kill a spider queen kinda tells you you better gear up first, though.

The relic swords are definitely you either not being in ACT II, or somehow not doing something i would think anyone does (go into shops)

Also as i said for the veterans like me its a good thing the game is hard, but its indeed easy to wander in the wrong area , for exemple the lost city , first 2 levels are the main quest third is much more hard and likely for a later stage of the game. The only way to know that is to die, not even a possibility to flee when you see the ghouls vastly overpower you, while earlier ghouls are doable. its sometimes needlessly frustrating.
Gateway monsters: you get two ravenous ghoul next to the door to level 3, and if they almost kill you it should tell you that your party will get slaughtered. There are ALWAYS gateway monsters in this game, though some are more forgiving than others.[/quote]

Lhynn

Arcane
Its indeed easy to wander in the wrong area , for exemple the lost city , first 2 levels are the main quest third is much more hard and likely for a later stage of the game. The only way to know that is to die.
Yes, and its good enough, if the load times were faster id have no problem with that whatsoever.

Zeriel

Arcane
Let's take another tack.

Mortmal

What is your opinion of Might and Magic 6 and 7? If you find them flawed for the same reasons, I will respect your standpoint and shutup. If you don't, however...

bonescraper

He's also the only notable people who did not met the developpers nor got a vip copy for free , wich makes his review unbiased.

Reading metacritic theres many might and magic , oldschool, fans that arent too pleased , thats not so surprising sceptic does not like it . I think the game is lot of fun , its better than the sum of its parts none of them especially shine. Fights are rarely strategic , except boss battles but they rely mostly on luck, one missed block and bye bye party members, most of the time enemies popup out of thin air and you are flanked . Theres lot of criticism about grimrock and its waltz combat, but this one isnt any better. Unbalanced classes, the game is not forgiving to an suboptimal party like the premade party , puzzles already seen ages ago, how many times did i solve the three levers three doors puzzles ? Lot of backtracking to refill rations and potions to artificially make the game longer. A very generic fantasy world, no risks at all,no sci fi , no sillyness, understandable seeing even warhorse studio cant publish their game nowaday, but still....

I am happy i got it, it mostly plays and almost feel like the 90's game, but it wont be GOTY for me , there's lot of room for improvment .Oh yes and memory leaks,slow downs ,textures pop up and shame to be you if you use a 32 bit os.
Fights are really strategic but aren't better than Grimcock's derpstepping? Are you reading your own words? Boss battles rely on luck? Well, then i must be really lucky. I happen to luckily prepare for every boss fight, luckily try to use the best of my party's abbilities, and luckily position myself to gain advantage in raged encounters. And all that luck pays off really well so far.

The game is not forgiving if you don't fucking plan your party composition, yes. And that's a huge motherfucking plus. Try to beat a D&D game with party full of rogue(y)s. Good old RPGs required planning and some minimal brain effort. These days you're expecting games to play themselves. In B4 why can't i repsec, baaaw!!! ;((((

20 rations is not enough for you? The rations mechanic is actually a very good idea. I understand why it pisses off savescummers such as yourself though. You probably reloaded every time some mobs jumped you when you were resting in BG/IWD/NWN, amirite.

And yeah, they should take even more risks, and make the most niche blobber of all time for your satisfaction. Because we're swimming in turn-based, oldschool blobbers. And it's a well known fact that AAA publishers just love to greenlight niche products.

Mortmal

Arcane
Being given antidotes while being told to kill a spider queen kinda tells you you better gear up first, though.

The relic swords are definitely you either not being in ACT II, or somehow not doing something i would think anyone does (go into shops)

Gateway monsters: you get two ravenous ghoul next to the door to level 3, and if they almost kill you it should tell you that your party will get slaughtered. There are ALWAYS gateway monsters in this game, though some are more forgiving than others.
[/quote]

Past act 2 and i swear i dont have any relic swords ,and not in shops, here i removed them from characters thats the relics i got:

W4Ol04z.jpg

You dont need a screencopy of the achievements too ? A receipt of the purchase to prove i use a legit copy ?

Arkeus

Arcane
You dont need a screencopy of the achievements too ? A receipt of the purchase to prove i use a legit copy ?
the weapon shop in Seahaven very obviously gives you a quest to forge you a relic sword.

EDIT: also, goddamit, pump more STR on your Blade-dancer, man.

Mortmal

Arcane
He's also the only notable people who did not met the developpers nor got a vip copy for free , wich makes his review unbiased.

I am happy i got it, it mostly plays and almost feel like the 90's game, but it wont be GOTY for me , there's lot of room for improvment .Oh yes and memory leaks,slow downs ,textures pop up and shame to be you if you use a 32 bit os.
Fights are really strategic but aren't better than Grimcock's derpstepping? Are you reading your own words? Boss battles rely on luck? Well, then i must be really lucky. I happen to luckily prepare for every boss fight, luckily try to use the best of my party's abbilities, and luckily position myself to gain advantage in raged encounters. And all that luck pays off really well so far.

The game is not forgiving if you don't fucking plan your party composition, yes. And that's a huge motherfucking plus. Try to beat a D&D game with party full of rogue(y)s. Good old RPGs required planning and some minimal brain effort. These days you're expecting games to play themselves. In B4 why can't i repsec, baaaw!!! ;((((

20 rations is not enough for you? The rations mechanic is actually a very good idea. I understand why it pisses off savescummers such as yourself though. You probably reloaded every time some mobs jumped you when you were resting in BG/IWD/NWN, amirite.

And yeah, they should take even more risks, and make the most niche blobber of all time for your satisfaction. Because we're swimming in turn-based, oldschool blobbers. And it's a well known fact that AAA publishers just love to greenlight niche products.

Rarely strategic i said, rarely....

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

Lots of bullshit design decisions are kind of making me raeg.

- Overreliance on potion quaffing in combat is a stupid, stupid mechanic that has always been stupid in every game that used it to extreme ends.
- No frontline/backline distinction is bollocks.
- Inability to use healing potions on KO'd party members.
- ENEMIES SUDDENLY POP UP TO RAPE YOU WITH MASSIVE RAPE IN THE CHOKEPOINT OF ANAL INTRUSION!
- Some fights feel way too damn gimmicky (naga boss), and some enemies have abilities that are simply bullshit (moonsilk spider aoe mana drain, arbitrary immunity to mind effects)
- Some of the shit feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overliant on RNG - moonsilk spider either hits you with an attack and effectively disarms all your mages + does heavy damage to everyone, or it doesn't do shit. Hello, I'm a kenshi and I blockblockblockblockblock everything. Generally it seems to try very hard to be "difficult and tacticool" but it simply doesn't cut it properly.
- When you keep stumbling upon the same pair of kenshi/coral priestess for the nth time, it starts getting old soon.
- Lacks the previous MM charm so far.
- No retreat button is seriously uncool.

Obviously supposedly it magically gets better (tm) later on, so I'll keep on going, but I just don't really feel like playing it more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In the specific case of the one handed relic swords that's not entirely true. Because:

One is a reward for finding all the obelisks and the other for praying to all dragon shrines at the correct days.
Both tasks can take a lot of time and aren't exactly unmissable. If you're a konsole kid noob you probably won't get them.

Can't seem to find any Water Expert spells in either Sorpigal or Seahaven. Is that corrent?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom