Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Mortmal

Arcane
Naivety or stupidity.. i was hooked by the first trailer , nowadays we are getting promises of great games, the new wasteland , the new baldurs gate, the new torment, and even the new ultima 7 (by larian). So why not new a true might and magic , it was following the pattern, the astral conjunction . I even anticipated lord british new project, deep beneath the jaded old nerd, theres the soul of a little boy believing in christmas still.

And what is the difference, hmm? How much of your money have they gotten so far?

Fan communication is extremely time consuming, so for a small team I can well understand why they'd limit the interaction.

I spent a lot already on pretty much anything space sim/rpg/strategy like i could find , not blaine style with an average of 500$ by kickstarter but still a lot :) .The difference is for all the title i quoted i get much more info,and all of them are from small teams. I am no prophet but i can already tell for sure that DDOS or underrail for example will rock . I dont see how much more time consuming it can be for developers ,if they really want to know what a great rpg is, to just come here and discuss. I loathe their "VIP" system , and that half assed attempt to make a rpg.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
if they really want to know what a great rpg is, to just come here and discuss

You mean the developers should come here into this forum and discuss with us? On second thought I understand the VIP system, because the tone at the rpgcodex might be too harsh...

narupley

Scholar
On second thought I understand the VIP system, because the tone at the rpgcodex might be too harsh...

And often childish, with bandwagon hatemongering and almost no understanding of (or sympathy for) what it takes to run a business.

Zeriel

Arcane
On second thought I understand the VIP system, because the tone at the rpgcodex might be too harsh...

And often childish, with bandwagon hatemongering and almost no understanding of (or sympathy for) what it takes to run a business.

Because when you are trying to make a good game, the thing that ensures quality is sympathy for people running a business.

Mortmal

Arcane
if they really want to know what a great rpg is, to just come here and discuss

You mean the developers should come here into this forum and discuss with us? On second thought I understand the VIP system, because the tone at the rpgcodex might be too harsh...

If they are making a good game, they have nothing to fear from here. Being harsh is granting them a favor, nothing good can come if you only select a few fanboys and yesmen.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If they are making a good game, they have nothing to fear from here. Being harsh is granting them a favor, nothing good can come if you only select a few fanboys and yesmen.

Back in the day, the game makers got absolutely no fan feedback, not even letters. Yet they made great games for some reason?

Very few people are able to take criticism, not to mention skywayism. If you don't have exceptionally thick skin, I'd say it is better to focus your energy in making the game instead of fighting windmills on the interwebs. Just look at Vault Dweller.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I don't think the verbal abuse really serves much of a purpose either. It tends to be a side-effect of not fellating every developer, though. RPGCodex is a reaction to the disease, not necessarily a cure. The cause? People wanting to make money more than quality products. Kickstarter is probably the closest thing we have to a treatment.

narupley

Scholar

Because when you are trying to make a good game, the thing that ensures quality is sympathy for people running a business.

Well, I'm not saying it's ideal, I was only pointing out why Ubisoft did what they did with the VIP forum. Ensuring quality is one thing, but businesses are in the business of making money after all...

Luzur

Good Sir
well, i dont know about C_H_U_C_K_L_E_S anymore but im most certainly not a yes man.

only if i see they are going the right way will i say yes.

Mortmal

Arcane
well, i dont know about C_H_U_C_K_L_E_S anymore but im most certainly not a yes man.

only if i see they are going the right way will i say yes.

No you arent but only one guy like you in a forum of yes men, its a diluted dose like homeopathic medecine. Homeopathy wont cure the decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems they've begun a series of posts introducing areas from the game. The first area is "Shantiri's Ruins": http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-GB/world/index.aspx

THE WORLD
The Agyn Peninsula is located in the south-west of the continent of Thallan, and is surrounded by the Irisus Sea to the north, the Savage Sea to the south-west, and Tirya Bay to the south-east. Whereas the eastern part of the Peninsula is civilized, the western part remains an inhospitable land, with dark forests, thick bogs, perilous mountains and desolate barrens, roamed by wild animals, brigands and other dangers, while pirates terrorize its coastline.

Landmarks include the high peaks of the Vantyr Range, the Yon-Chall Forest, and the mysterious Elemental Forge of the ancient Shantiris. In the Elven language, Agyn means "the Untamed Wing".

While not a Duchy itself, it is considered a part of the Holy Falcon Empire, although the Elves of Irollan and the Wizards of the Seven Cities have had their sights on this region for a very long time…
might-and-magic-the-map_87999.png
Elemental_Forge_95589.png
SHANTIRI’S RUINS
Centuries ago, a great civilization appeared on the shores of the Jade Ocean: the Shantiri Empire. The Shantiris were a gathering of various Elder Races, mostly Humans, Dwarves, Nagas and Elves. The Shantiris spread across the face of the world, building titanic cities and temples.

Then came the Elder Wars. Angels and Faceless, children of Light and Darkness respectively, consumed their hatred in a genocidal war. In a single night, most inhabitants of the Shantiri Empire vanished and their magnificent cities were cast down.

The Agyn Peninsula harbours many Shantiri ruins, attracting all kinds of treasure-hunters and lore-keepers who hope to unlock their secrets, while ignoring the persistant rumours claiming the ruins are haunted – or worse…
m%26m-x-deco_95042.png

Dat high fantasy!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
At least we got a handdrawn map. I like that. Not like the map from the "Realms of Arkania"- Remake, which is just a top down screenshot of an ugly minimal version of the landscape.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Every single one of these names is so generic I cringe every time I read one.

Otherwise there's really no tangible information on anything, it's just a collection of names.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Just caught the trailer, didn't know about this. :oops:

That "Old School New Rules" plastered in your face made my "danger sense" tingle like that time Dr Doom and Dr Octopus were comparing the merits of a new Jagged Alliance over those of a new X-Com. Fortunately, it didn't happen. Or did it ?

tindrli

Arcane
It seems they've begun a series of posts introducing areas from the game. The first area is "Shantiri's Ruins": http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-GB/world/index.aspx

THE WORLD

might-and-magic-the-map_87999.png

Elemental_Forge_95589.png
SHANTIRI’S RUINS

Centuries ago, a great civilization appeared on the shores of the Jade Ocean: the Shantiri Empire. The Shantiris were a gathering of various Elder Races, mostly Humans, Dwarves, Nagas and Elves. The Shantiris spread across the face of the world, building titanic cities and temples.

Then came the Elder Wars. Angels and Faceless, children of Light and Darkness respectively, consumed their hatred in a genocidal war. In a single night, most inhabitants of the Shantiri Empire vanished and their magnificent cities were cast down.

The Agyn Peninsula harbours many Shantiri ruins, attracting all kinds of treasure-hunters and lore-keepers who hope to unlock their secrets, while ignoring the persistant rumours claiming the ruins are haunted – or worse…

Dat high fantasy

i dont like the style at all.. we are waiting for decent MM for like 13 years now.. i think we deserve the best.. shit a child could draw this... wait a sec..that design must be like 300.000 $ worth:troll:this reminds me of some kind of web based flash format crap. or even worse .. tower defence game map for mobile phones

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i dont like the style at all.. we are waiting for decent MM for like 13 years now.. i think we deserve the best.. shit a child could draw this... wait a sec..that design must be like 300.000 $ worth:troll:this reminds me of some kind of web based flash format crap. or even worse .. tower defence game map for mobile phones

Uh these aren't gameplay graphics

Every single one of these names is so generic I cringe every time I read one.

Otherwise there's really no tangible information on anything, it's just a collection of names.

Holy Falcon Empire bro.

taste it.

tindrli

Arcane

Uh these aren't gameplay graphics

i was pointing at map design not a gamplay..

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
There is also a french interview here: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...ux/2013/05/17/interview-might-magic-x-legacy/

The interesting thing is, that he says, that unofficial versions of the level editor were sent to groups which previously wanted to create Might & Magic 10, so they could integrate their game into this (assumingly as a mod). Is he talking of the developer of "Might & Magic: Children of the Void"? Now that would mean lots of additional content. Also he says that experienced modders may totally change the game. Does this mean enthusiastic modders might change the code even to a free movement?

As it looks like, we shouldn't miss this title. Even if the contents are only average, it seems we get lots of additional content later on from the community.

Wizfall

Cipher
Everything about this map is disappointing.
From the graphic style to the lack of location.
I don't know how they could have made a map more uninspiring.
Well at least it's not that important but still.

Dorateen

Arcane
Charles' map for Sovereign is a true Might & Magic map.

However, having said that, I'm not sure what was presented wasn't anything finished at this stage. They still have the entire summer of development and polishing in front of them. I want to learn more about who let the Nagas into the gathering of elder races.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom