Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Wolfus

Arcane
Trolling aside, what really astounds me are the people raging that they bought the game and are upset that it's not like MM6+. Is the actual MM community so biased toward the free-roaming games? I guess that even in the official poll here, MM6/7 have slightly more votes than MM3/4/5, but judging by the Steam forums, there are a ton of people outraged that the game "isn't like MM6."

I know the grid-based vs free-roaming debate has been done to death, but what's up with this? I imagine a good majority of people complaining about this weren't even around when MM6/7 were released, so I don't really get it. Even nonsensical arguements like "Why isn't this free-roaming like the old MM games!!!!!!" - by my count, there are more grid-based games than free-roaming ones. Especially if we're counting only good games.

Is this just Skyrim syndrome or what?

well, most M&M fans are 90's kids (and alot of them are russian/eastern europeans..?), which first game they played was MM6, so naturally they would think that all MM's should be like that.

its the same over at Celestials Haven, it was at most me and like 2 other that even voted on MM1-5, the rest of the fandom almost bloated the MM6-8 option.

My first MM game was Isles of Terra on Amiga which I didn't finish. Few years later I play MM6 which I liked more but I voted for MM7 because MM6 dungeons are too confusing for me.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
well, most M&M fans are 90's kids (and alot of them are russian/eastern europeans..?), which first game they played was MM6, so naturally they would think that all MM's should be like that.

its the same over at Celestial Haven, it was at most me and like 2 other that even voted on MM1-5, the rest of the fandom almost bloated the MM6-8 option.

I used to think that Celestial Heavens was just a skewed sample because it mainly catered to Heroes fans, but Ubi forum's have shattered my innocence.

Luzur

Good Sir

its the same over at Celestial Haven, it was at most me and like 2 other that even voted on MM1-5, the rest of the fandom almost bloated the MM6-8 option.

I used to think that Celestial Heavens was just a skewed sample because it mainly catered to Heroes fans, but Ubi forum's have shattered my innocence.

as i said, they are mostly MM6-8 fans over there, except for me, GreatEmerald (the guy who post the music from MM3-5 on youtube)
and maybe 2 more, who are of the old guard.

also, dangit, misspelled the damn name.

Resurectra

Novice
Both, my dad and me, have played MM3 to 9. His favorites are MM3 and MM6, he also prefers free roaming. He often says that, comparing both of his favorites, he prefers the movement and skill system of 6 but he rather have the monster design and the riddles/puzzles of MM3.

I, on the other hand, also like the monster design and the riddles/puzzles of MM3 better than those of MM6+, but I like the skill system of MM7 better and I prefer grid-based movement over free roaming (though I don't dislike it).

I often wonder if I would have liked MM6 better (it's the only MM I played that I haven't finished) if the characters weren't all human and it didn't have that massive amount of monsters everywhere. I really didn't like that all-human party bit and the hordes annoyed me from time to time.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
CaptainNealHallford.jpg

:lol:

Neal is such a BRO. Makes me even more sad that his book KS failed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's still working on the book, though. He found some kind of alternate funding.

Anyway, it's funny to me that the MMX official blog is doing games journalism now. It's so meta

Luzur

Good Sir
He's still working on the book, though. He found some kind of alternate funding.

Anyway, it's funny to me that the MMX official blog is doing games journalism now. It's so meta

yeah guys, come on, get that interview with Caneghem beofre Ubi does!

Luzur

Good Sir

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
wow, an unnoficial patch already released, looks like the modding community's strong in this one

EDIT: Apparently the "unnoficial" patch is in reality pseudo-oficial, disregard what I said

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane

Guy is only at Gamescon because Ubisoft invited him, and he's still inserting bullshit in questions to see if anyone notices (amazingly, this is the SECOND time they invited him).

Edit: One highlight of the interview: MM10 guy notes that "we can't all be Skyrims"

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Haha, oh wow.

The "feedback meant to inspire developers" includes the line "the game runs like total shit". Limbic is nothing if not honest with themselves.

Bros bros bros bros.

-Ubisoft PR, 2013

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom