Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monsters & Memories - Old School Style MMO by Niche Worlds Cult

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I like all of the videos that have this guy in it. I get a very strong feeling that he's secretly pretty based due to little hints I've seen him give in his streams. He's definitely some kind of thought criminal.

Yeah thats Shawn Lord. Creative Director / Producer. He has a pretty cool EQ memorabila collection.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Not much interest in this game overall but I'll keep posting anyways. I found the spell particle creation to be fascinating. Getting some serious EQ1 vibes and its awesome. Here is an in-game clip of a work in progress spell particle he was working on.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I have a ton of interest in the game and I'm constantly watching their streams, reading the news letter, and chatting in their discord. There just hasn't been anything worth posting about here.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I have a ton of interest in the game and I'm constantly watching their streams, reading the news letter, and chatting in their discord. There just hasn't been anything worth posting about here.

I am super excited about this game. I don't care for discord. Is it fairly lively?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Discord is picking up to the point that I don't participate as much anymore. It's getting too big for me to keep up with. That and there are some furries in there and it's really hard for me to not tell them to kill themselves every time I see one of them.

Once in a while you get a decent dev comment in there but its mostly retards throwing out their shit tier ideas for the game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Discord is picking up to the point that I don't participate as much anymore. It's getting too big for me to keep up with. That and there are some furries in there and it's really hard for me to not tell them to kill themselves every time I see one of them.

:negative:
Staying away from Discord sounds like a reasonable decision.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm just in there to kiss ass occasionally and keep my name in their minds for when beta testing roles around. That and I could probably talk one of them into doing an interview with me for the Codex. I've done interviews for a few different sites in my time. They are way too early in development for that right now though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm interested but I've seen too many stillborn MMOs to care about any more games until I'm actually playing it for myself. There are also games that start great then become shit by release. Also as great as EQ was it has a lot of shit that needs changing which would be a hell of a job. I trust them just not sure to what extent they could do a good job of all this. Also if it's too much like EQ it would not be much fun for EQ players. Also EQ had a huuuuge amount of content at release which is something I've never seen any other game come close to. I see hundreds of indie games these days with open world, crafting, combat, etc. They all have 3 mob types, 5 items, 5 spells, and 0 dungeons. Mother fuckers your games are SHIT compared to a 23+ year old game. So yeah not sure where they stand on this. The cutesy look and music does not inspire confidence. Release this with a handful of items and nameds and I doubt it will even have 100 players. Make it like EQ with so much stuff it's a huge mystery for the players, and it might have a chance to attract a new generation.

Also I am convinced that games like this tread a weird line between being a cult game with 1000 passionate fans, and having 10+ million sales in a week. It's all about understanding whatever the fuck Valheim did and then applying it to a far superior EQ type game.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The fact that they aren't going to have raids is enough to make me confident that they will fix a lot of problems that EQ has

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Also EQ had a huuuuge amount of content at release which is something I've never seen any other game come close to

Yeah nothing has been able to come close, all this time later. Everquest 2 had a nice amount of content, and while I have very fond memories of it, it didnt quite resonate with very many other people. I have been playing FFXIV with a friend and it has been fun. But the speed at which you level through ARR feels like they are just rushing us to the end. I wish more games followed EQ's design philosophy (The Vision™, remember that?) which is why I am intrigued by Monsters and Memories. I have my doubts though.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Both the Elementalist and Necromancer gameplay that I have seen is back from 2021 when the models were still capsules. Its quite far from being finished and a bit funny to look at if you aren't familiar with game development.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Here's the class video in case it hasn't been posted yet. Hopefully they just clone the EQ bard and automate twisting. If they do I am definitely going to be playing bard. Otherwise maybe shaman or archer. The races are pretty interesting too. The fact that Ogres can be monks is pretty unique and I'm really digging both the Deep Gnomes and Goblins.

Edit: Went back and saw it was already posted so enjoy a link to the race/class matrix instead: https://mandrakefarms.azurewebsites.net/en/classes

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Apologies for the double post, but I thought some of you might want to see the results of the class and race survey as well

Survey_1__Race__Class_Classes_01252022.png

Survey_1__Race__Class_Races_01252022.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Based on the concept art the Deep Gnomes are my favorite race by far. I'm surprised that they came in last in the poll. Their class options suck though. I hope they get bard and/or shaman added when they update the race/class matrix. I'll probably play one as an Archer assuming Archers are actually good and fun to play. There is a chance they will get merged into the Ranger class though.

Otherwise Ogre Monk is the most interesting combo. Hopefully goblins get a ton of classes to choose from because I'm interested in them too. I just want to play something I've never played before.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I? Human necromancer, unless I can make a cryomancer with elementalist.

About gameplay, I found this in their channel. Much more up to date. 5 days ago.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I basically picked the coolest looking male for all melee and cutest female option for the rest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom