Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most deranged Codex hatedoms

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmmm......
22 June 2001

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
EngineInfinity Engine
Platform(s)Windows, Macintosh
Release22 June 2001
Genre(s)Role-playing

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
First released
June 27, 2001

Sure a lot of Bhaal or Baal lovin going on at that time.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Hmmmm......
22 June 2001

EngineInfinity Engine
Release22 June 2001
Genre(s)Role-playing

First released
June 27, 2001

Pure coincidence, I recon. Both Bhaal and Baal were set up as major elements of their respective video game franchises years earlier. Decades in the case of BG's pnp source material.

Sometimes lots of Codexers will appear to vocally hate on a particular game, series or studio. And sometimes other people might think that hate is inexplicable and self-destructive. It might be anti-Larianism, anti-Owlcatism or perhaps a reflexive mistrust of indie titles in general.

Which Codex hatedom do you think is the most deranged? What games or developers do you think Codexers should show more appreciation towards?
Someone's butthurt.

The hatedom of objectively correct posters, i.e. myself, is the most deranged part of the codex. Fortunately, it's but a tiny minority, and the rest of the codex rightfully celebrates when I share barely relevant unfunny jokes.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
BG1 is the first game that I played back in 1999. That's the year that my parents bought us PC, after the tumultuous spring of that year for our country, being bombarded by benevolent NATO and shit... Older dudes that introduced me earlier to DnD burned me discs and set me on a quest to finish it in a couple of weeks. Since it was the first year of my high school, I had a lot of obligations and my parents had a lot of expectations... Instead of proving to them and myself that I'm reliable and responsible teenager, I was circling around my building till I saw my parents backsides and returning to my house to wander the Sword coast.. Oftentimes they would come home for breakfast break, and I would hide under the bed. I'll never forget sensation of approaching fourth level of Nashkel mines... I really thought that I was going to encounter dragon down there. Still being low level greenhorn I feared that my character, half-elf Asfaloth Horselord, was going to be decimated... I had so many unexcused absences in school that year, that my father had to beg his friend doctor to write me an excuse so that I would not be kicked out of school. For me it was a perfect game, surpassed only after I played Morrowind. I'm a nature person and the slow pace of it, atmosphere and wonder of discovering all those little details hidden in the vast maps, accompanied by chirping birds, whose sounds still wake me up till this day, and elaborate framework story, give me goosebumps whenever I remember it. I still worship BG1 and never in my life would defile its altar by playing unclean EE version of it. I wasn't impressed by its more compacted sequel, another proof that more of a good thing does not necessarily mean an advantage, but I still think it's worthy successor. The thought of Larian's BG3 terrifies me, but I will give it a shot after some years have passed and the dust of fanboyism and animosity settles. So, rusty_shackleford my man, you're feeding the Molochtron's maw by spreading that unfounded, toxic hatred towards BG2, which I can understand if you, when coming back from work, cought your beloved being stuffed with risotto of your close friend, who happens to be massive BG2 fan, and besides they were listening Aerie's romance theme while doing it... If not,
penn-jillette.gif
or I'm gonna kick you in the head till you're dead!

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Sometimes lots of Codexers will appear to vocally hate on a particular game, series or studio. And sometimes other people might think that hate is inexplicable and self-destructive. It might be anti-Larianism, anti-Owlcatism or perhaps a reflexive mistrust of indie titles in general.
Chances are, something you like very much sucks.

I don't understand the hate towards BG2. In particular from people who like BG1 instead, since both games suck at the same level.
Some of it's definitely backlash. Nobody would bother hating on TES games if they were unknown indy games, but they dominate the conversation so why not talk about every little thing you hate about them?
BG2 was THE crpg for a lot of people, so it's going to get a lot of it's flaws nitpicked, especially for the people who didn't find it to be as great as everyone else.

BanEvader

Sometimes lots of Codexers will appear to vocally hate on a particular game, series or studio.
Yeah on those, but also on moderators, and then they'll dox the mod by posting his picture and his first name, after being warned not to, resulting in a permaban.
Some really dumb motherfuckers frequent this forum.
Not me though, I've got an Einstein tier intelligence.

Hobknobling

Learned
Hmmmm......
22 June 2001

EngineInfinity Engine
Release22 June 2001
Genre(s)Role-playing

First released
June 27, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_video_games

What an absurdly good year that was. Good old tech bubble days.

Conker's Bad Fur Day hit the stores in the beginning of March and you got 2-3 genre-defining classics every single month after that. GTA 3, THPS 3, Pikmin and Civ III were all published within 8 days of each other.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LmaO Asking why they didn't just call BG1 the Bhaalspawn Saga is plain retartet. FFS The big twist you learn while playing the first game us that you are a Child of Bhaal, you fukkin retart. You want the title to give away such a spoiler. BG is used because it is just a city so purposefully vague snd meaningless. The series is literally known as the Bhaalspawn Saga for a reason. It is. about the Bhaalspawn.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Conker is probably a much edgier game. I've heard things about that squirrel.

Novice
Hating on Larian is unironically great, albeit a display of monkey genes and low IQ. What is even better are the tears once Larian, once again, delivers a top tier game that people will remember for longer than these particular Codexers immediately after their funeral.
  • DOS1: made CRPG financially viable again & set the grounds for contemporary TB RPG game design
  • DOS2: one of the greatest games ever made, flaws are either nit-picking, bitching about the game's intentionally light tone and how it blends with the more serious topics, or getting filtered by the armor system like an outright retard
  • BG3: getting some extra money from D&D and BG fags while delivering a game with a higher production value than their previous games, but not overall quality - BG3 will not be superior to DOS2 in terms of how everything blends together
  • DOS3: the RPG that will dwarf them all & the greatest game that will EVER get made
    (after this, Swen will die and Larian will become a Ubisoft-tier corporation that will be acquired by some Chinese company or whatever)

Novice
Hating on Larian is unironically great, albeit a display of monkey genes and low IQ. What is even better are the tears once Larian, once again, delivers a top tier game that people will remember for longer than these particular Codexers immediately after their funeral.
  • DOS1: made CRPG financially viable again & set the grounds for contemporary TB RPG game design
  • DOS2: one of the greatest games ever made, flaws are either nit-picking, bitching about the game's intentionally light tone and how it blends with the more serious topics, or getting filtered by the armor system like an outright retard
  • BG3: getting some extra money from D&D and BG fags while delivering a game with a higher production value than their previous games, but not overall quality - BG3 will not be superior to DOS2 in terms of how everything blends together
  • DOS3: the RPG that will dwarf them all & the greatest game that will EVER get made
    (after this, Swen will die and Larian will become a Ubisoft-tier corporation that will be acquired by some Chinese company or whatever)
Also, for contrast with DOS2 being one of the greatest games ever made:
  • BG2 is one of the O.K. games ever made
  • meanwhile, BG1 is just one of the games ever made
Just for contrast.

Harthwain

Magister
Nice try, Rusty.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I often feel marginalized on the codex for being a straight male.

I don't get the hate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ok swen....

:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom