Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh, RNG was fucked up in Dragonfall, XCOM 1 and god knows how many other games. I still enjoyed them. Dragonfall is in my TOP 10.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don’t wanna know.
Why? I mean, I don't generally sperg out over this shit, but it actually was really helpful to know if I'd actually be able to hit a redshirt on my dude's turn since I knew that his hit chance increases by each bullet fired by, say, 5%. That gave me an option to make, say, 3 quick shots, and then the "spend all AP" shot to more or less guarantee a hit.
Instead I am supposed to play a weighted hit-roulette, because someone can't figure out how instead of 35% they suddenly have 40, why, this is some arcane shit right there.
I agree with musty. While I don't like being lied to, it's also fine if the game plays well and I never find out about it. Only when it's done poorly and makes the game actually harder to play* is it a problem. Sounds like the reason they did all this is to increase playability. Fine with me.
*To be clear: I don't mean harder to win, just harder to play.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don’t wanna know.
Why? I mean, I don't generally sperg out over this shit, but it actually was really helpful to know if I'd actually be able to hit a redshirt on my dude's turn since I knew that his hit chance increases by each bullet fired by, say, 5%. That gave me an option to make, say, 3 quick shots, and then the "spend all AP" shot to more or less guarantee a hit.
Instead I am supposed to play a weighted hit-roulette, because someone can't figure out how instead of 35% they suddenly have 40, why, this is some arcane shit right there.
I agree with musty. While I don't like being lied to, it's also fine if the game plays well and I never find out about it. Only when it's done poorly and makes the game actually harder to play* is it a problem. Sounds like the reason they did all this is to increase playability. Fine with me.
*To be clear: I don't mean harder to win, just harder to play.
Well, it likely stems from the (surface) simplicity of the 2-action model as well, there's little point to be as precise as with the AP model.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh, RNG was fucked up in Dragonfall, XCOM 1 and god knows how many other games. I still enjoyed them. Dragonfall is in my TOP 10.

For nuXCOM 1 & 2, it's only on the lower difficulties and it's applying aiming bonus to the player after missing (and malus to the enemy after getting hit), it's not round up to the next multiple of 25 like this one.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

For nuXCOM 1 & 2, it's only on the lower difficulties and it's applying aiming bonus to the player after missing (and malus to the enemy after getting hit), it's not round up to the next multiple of 25 like this one.

And after further research I was wrong, there's also flat bonuses applied to all hit chances on the first two difficulties.

nuXCOM:
from https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Chance_to_Hit_(EU2012)#When_The_Game_Cheats...
Easy & Normal modes

• Chance to hit is 120% of the displayed value. Hence if you see 84% or above, the shot should always hit.
  • Alien aim get a cumulative -10% for every consecutive hit on your units, resetting when they miss.
Easy mode only

• Missing a shot which had at least a 50% chance to connect adds +15% to the next such shot you make, cumulative. The counter resets when a shot hits, and is capped at 30%.
If the number of soldiers is 4 or less, and your squad has taken casualties (KIAs or Critical Wounds):

• Your aim is increased by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 15%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +45% aim bonus.
  • Alien aim is reduced by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 25%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +75% defence.
Normal mode only

• Missing a shot which had at least a 50% chance to connect adds +15% to the next such shot you make, cumulative. The counter resets when a shot hits, but otherwise has no cap.

nuXCOM 2
from https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/254347/how-do-the-different-difficulty-levels-vary

On every difficulty except Legend, the game applies a number of modifiers to both your attacks and the aliens' attacks. There are five categories:

• Base aim multiplier (Rookie and Veteran): Your shots have an invisible multiplier applied to make it easier to hit.
  • Miss streaks (Rookie, Veteran, and Commander): For each consecutive miss in a turn, your soldiers are given an invisible aim bonus.
  • Hit streaks (Rookie only): The aliens take a penalty to aim for each consecutive hit they have in a turn.
  • XCOM hit chance for dead soldiers (Rookie and Veteran): For each soldier you've had die on the current mission (below 4 soldiers), your soldiers are given an invisible aim bonus.
  • Alien hit chance for dead soldiers (Rookie and Veteran): For each soldier you've had die on the current mission (below 4 soldiers), the aliens take a penalty to aim.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone here finished this?
How long is the campaign and does gameplay hold till the end?

I'm just watching a playthrough on YT. Seems the campaign is about 20-30 hours long and the gameplay is solid throughout, altho enemy encounter gets a bit repetitive (circle the map, pick off stragglers and then fight the map boss in the center).

Anomander

Educated
I checked on steam a I have 16 hours. I've visited all the maps and collected all the secrets but one. I played on Hard.
Game is good and if it was longer it would start to get boring.

So, I've been playing through this over the past couple of days. I'm at the point in the main quest where you need to investigate the crash at the house of bones. I got there at level 9, and it's level 20, so I've been going back and doing any fights I bypassed before. The thing is, I'm at level 12, and I have maybe 3 encounters missed. On top of that, I barely, barely beat the boss at the sea titans.

I've been spending my XP, upgrading my weapons and so on, and stealth killing as many enemies as possible, but as for the combat itself, I've been playing it like you would X-Com, trying to stick to cover, and so on, but it seems like cover doesn't do much, and fights are basically a DPS race once you've broken stealth. I'm playing on Hard, and when I beat the Sea Titans boss, it took 3 medkits, and it was with 2 characters bleeding out, the last at 1HP, and it felt like I got lucky. Is there something I'm missing?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm watching a Very Hard playthrough and the dude seems to be keeping with the mob levels with no problems. Maybe you've missed some easier locations or mobs to level up on?

He relies heavily on crowd control - Hog Rush for living mobs and the disabling ability or EMP for robots. So far he's killing everything almost without taking any damage.

Anomander

Educated
You have to pick out single enemies. Silenced weapons are a must. Also CC. In every map you can eliminate most of the enemies that way.

Balor

Arcane
You have to pick out single enemies. Silenced weapons are a must. Also CC. In every map you can eliminate most of the enemies that way.

I think there is a certain difficulty spike once you get to sea titans.

By the way, is loot random or fixed? I've only found one weapon (gaper). Pipe rifle being sold does not seem like much of an improvement.

Vatnik Wumao
Partial cover does not do much, especially against the ghoul hunters and the apostles. Use full cover, the hide option, or if necessary, smoke grenades to block line of sight. Also keep upgrading your weapons. Being able to kill an enemy in one turn with a full volley from your party makes the mobs more manageable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/760060/announcements/detail/3692292987278448913

Stalker Trials Coming to PC February 26
19 FEB @ 3:53PM - JENS ERIK (COMMUNITY MANAGER)

a01fe14a49bd02cd388a02f6ed5c5810841b74b0.jpg

Greetings mutants and stalkers!

Today we are incredibly excited to announce that Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is expanding with the addition of Stalker Trials, a challenge mode that will truly put your skills to the test. We’re re-populating the game’s maps with different types of enemies to create new challenges for you and your chosen team of stalkers.

de356267f0b21170458287624de40cc208104746.jpg

We’ll be rolling out the Stalker Trials on PC in a free update next week, on February 26th, so mark your calendars and get ready to gear up! Consoles will get this update at a later date.

a8525b055fb429d77085129d83d7a43033f23d0a.jpg

Sneak and fight to impress Pripp

The Stalker Trials give you access to all characters, with all mutations and skills unlocked, but you will have to buy and upgrade your weapons and armor before heading out. Once you’re satisfied with your loadout you can journey into the Zone and link up with Pripp, the bartender. He’s the brains behind the Stalker Trials, and will score you on your progress as you fight your way through an area. Your rewards will be new items and equipment that you can either use on a new map, or sett at Iridia’s shop.

Your progress will be noted down on the in-game leaderboards and the weekly and all-time top Stalker will have an NPC named after them for other players to take down. Pripp will also reward you with extra points if you clear a map in certain ways, for example by not taking damage or not using explosives.

f721a3ce3fa9290c9fd0700f13872562d129168e.jpg

97c8610063b40ca0ea126541f5f87173b64f3e2d.jpg

Watch this space

It’s been a fantastic two months since the launch on Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden in December, 2018. We’ve been following your tweets, forum and Reddit posts, YouTube videos and Twitch streams and it’s been an absolute blast to see what you’ve thought about the game.

During the time since launch we’ve been working on fixing bugs and issues with the game. Several of those fixes will come out alongside the Stalker Trials, on February 26. We will also continue to roll out additional patches as needed.

Keep watching this space. We’ve got even more stuff coming down the line, but we’re not quite ready to talk about that just yet.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/760060/announcements/detail/1809789503306475132

Free MYZ: Road to Eden Demo out now on PC

151d82a2179881942af55f2cd736431e53883132.jpg

The good news train keeps-a-rollin'! Today we have rolled out a free demo of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden on PC, which you can download through your Steam client.

All content from the beginning of the game, up and including reaching the Ark, will be available in the demo, so you’re getting a decent chunk of the game. If you’ve been on the fence about buying Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden you can check out the demo and try before you buy. Or send it to that friend who’s looking for a new game to play.

It’s the perfect opportunity to see if the game is for you.

Also Funcom sees this game as a success: https://investors.funcom.com/funcoms-fourth-quarter-2018-financials/

* Successful Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden launch. Established Funcom position as a reputable publisher of third party developed games

Calls this a revenue driver of the quarter along with continued sales of Conan Exlies.

I really liked this game. It shows it has a limited budget, so it's a little rough around the edges, but gameplay is solid and I liked the settings and characters.

Jinn

Arcane
Perfect. Was waiting for the game to drop to around $15 on sale before I grabbed it, so this is an insanely good deal for me. Will gladly play Northgard sometime in the future, and Absolver might serve as a fun distraction at some point. Hopefully there are a couple good games in the hidden batch.

Anyway, finally going to give this a go!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom