Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Have Diamond already and not a fan of EE but

NwN EE is like 3 dollars on steam right now, around 90% discount

so I bought it cause i wanna try that Dark Sun server which requires it, the assets are insanely good and fit with NwN which surprised me

Lacrymas Volourn Lilura

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I know

but despite everything it does offer expanded functionality and stuff

hate bumdog but I think its better than other EEs

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Which mods from the Steam workshop are you guys using for EE?

I use these

R1HOcKL.jpg

Gargaune

Gargaune

Magister
Which mods from the Steam workshop are you guys using for EE?

I use these

R1HOcKL.jpg

Gargaune
None, I'm using the GOG version and get my stuff off the Vault. Actually, I barely use any modifications on NWN, I'm more interested in modules. I like to have Customize Character on to change armour looks in-game, and I recommend installing the Mischa Waymeet mod for SoU to have a tank henchman available. I've also been meaning to try out this NUI Spell Widget mod, basically a backport of NWN2's Quickcast, but it's apparently still crash-prone and I haven't gotten around to it.

Separately, I've been interested in Balkoth's Minion Control and moving SoU and the OC to a 2-henchman system, but that'll take some work and I don't have an immediate plan. Actually, I'd have loved to make a general Override Hak that would "just work" for most modules, but that doesn't appear feasible since everyone seems to have modified the base scripts instead of extending them.

Anyway, going back to that list you posted:
- For the UI, I wouldn't actually bother with any mods, looks fine out of the box. And you can replace the main menu background yourself, put a gui_pre_bknd3.tga image of your full screen resolution in Documents/Neverwinter Nights/Override.
- The HD Art Pack is also available from Beamdog's own website, but your mileage may vary. It's still got a couple of bugs and the tint schemas aren't consistent with the original art, I like the old stuff better.

But I'd also add some configuration tips:
- Force V-Sync on your GPU for NWN EE. You don't wanna run the framerate uncapped 'cause it'll rev your GPU up all the way, but you don't wanna use the in-game frame limiter either, since that seriously fucks up input (camera rotation and zoom increments, and it even messes up the Toolset's Test Module).
- You also can force Anti Aliasing on from the GPU, just be aware that you might get some minor visual artifacting with a white outline on objects displayed over water if you also use the enhanced water shader. A matter of personal preference, but I like the AA.
- Do skim through the new in-game Graphics settings, there's quite a few things you can tweak to your liking.

Finally, if you ever just wanna dick around with a module or you decide to start building, you might want to know the EE has a new Debug Menu which can be accessed via CTRL + Shift + F12.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I know

but despite everything it does offer expanded functionality and stuff

hate bumdog but I think its better than other EEs

NWN:EE is the one EE that did right by. They actually enhanced it in multiple ways. Everything looks better, it's easier than ever to download the good stuff, it spurred on the creation of a few big projects yet to be released, etc.

Gargaune

Magister
This slipped past me, but it was NWN's 20th birthday on June 9th and a Vault post led me to a long Twitter thread where Trent Oster was summarising a roundtable he ran on User-Generated Content, you can follow it there if you're curious:

In particular... Roguey, you remember our recurring little arguments where I claim Skyrim's modding community acts as a valuable form of viral marketing and you button me
crazyrobot.gif
?

Trent Oster said:
PR / Marketing -> Viral marketing
With user extensions to your game you gain a great deal of hype and talk about your title without your direct involvement. The payoff off this free no effort marketing can be huge.

Ongoing sales
With a constant supply of content your game can have constant appeal to some people. The side result of this ongoing play is the constant word of mouth which can continue to drive sales long after the initial hype has worn off..

[...]

Free content
With people creating content for your game you have a pool of free content which further justifies the purchase of your game.

Would you care to update your .txt? :smug:

Or am I getting another button?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In particular... @Roguey, you remember our recurring little arguments where I claim Skyrim's modding community acts as a valuable form of viral marketing and you button me
crazyrobot.gif
?
I stand by what I said about Skyrim because mods mean nothing to console users. Of course mods will be a big draw for NWN, a PC game.

Codex Year of the Donut
massive majority of skyrim sales weren't on PC, people who think mods factor into their sales are clueless

otoh, NWN was created as a game designed to sell based on user-generated content. That was the entire selling point once it released.
Prior to release, they had a different line which is why you'll find many people who bought it at release are still angry about it because it was a bait and switch. iirc the official codex review even goes over this.

Gargaune

Magister
In particular... @Roguey, you remember our recurring little arguments where I claim Skyrim's modding community acts as a valuable form of viral marketing and you button me
crazyrobot.gif
?
I stand by what I said about Skyrim because mods mean nothing to console users. Of course mods will be a big draw for NWN, a PC game.
Mods don't much matter to console users, but they keep PC users playing and talking about the games themselves. And when the dirty console peasant runs into the prestigious PC gentleman by the water cooler, all he gets is that it's 2015 and this superior PC specimen is still playing Skyrim, so he gets curious and ends up feeding Todd Howard's infinite wallet.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Lmao at some of the tweets in that thread

Well well well. Looks like someone says we should discriminate against minorities!

Cael

Arcane
Lmao at some of the tweets in that thread

Well well well. Looks like someone says we should discriminate against minorities!

"We will hear only what we want to hear, and fuck everyone else!"
- cuckdog

SpoonFULL

Novice
What Trent said is fair enough - if someone don't like the game or its description/details/developer, then don't buy it or get a refund and then shut up. You are not entitled to anything!

Sarathiour

Cipher
If you go around having scummy business practice and try to forcibly insert dogshit in the hobby, I'm going to throw shit back at you and you're certainly not entitled to demand that I keep quiet.

Gargaune

Magister
If you go around having scummy business practice and try to forcibly insert dogshit in the hobby, I'm going to throw shit back at you and you're certainly not entitled to demand that I keep quiet.
After all this time, I still don't know get what Beamdog's "scummy business practices" are supposed to be. Fixing up some old games for modern PCs and asking another €8 for it? Oh, the humanity. About the only crummy thing they did business-wise was splitting the soundtracks into separate purchases, that wasn't cool but hardly something to build notoriety around.

P.S. Just for the record, pretty sure Oster's Twitter thread is recounting NWN back during its BioWare development, not the Beamdog revision.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Locking existing product under your own and asking for double the prices is not ok, especially when your version is released with shitton of bug.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If i understand that tweet correctly he doesn't demand that you keep quiet, he is just not going to listen to your noise.

Gargaune

Magister
Locking existing product under your own and asking for double the prices is not ok, especially when your version is released with shitton of bug.
They didn't "lock" the damn thing, they bought it, updated it and added a premium for their trouble. Whether you think the premium's worth it or not - I do, but I know many of you don't - doesn't change the fact that you're arguing the price of a Happy Meal on a non-recurring purchase. And whichever way you turn it, Beamdog's offering is still fantastic value in the market, e.g. BG2 EE at €16 vs. PoE at €36.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
I guess some people are just born to be eternal cuck.

He tweeted that he need to hire a CM to filter all the negative feedback he did not want to hear.

Cael

Arcane
They didn't "lock" the damn thing, they bought it, updated it and added a premium for their trouble. Whether you think the premium's worth it or not - I do, but I know many of you don't - doesn't change the fact that you're arguing the price of a Happy Meal on a non-recurring purchase. And whichever way you turn it, Beamdog's offering is still fantastic value in the market, e.g. BG2 EE at €16 vs. PoE at €36.
Then how do you get the original games without having to buy the EE shit? Please do tell.

Sykar

Arcane
After all this time, I still don't know get what Beamdog's "scummy business practices" are supposed to be. Fixing up some old games for modern PCs and asking another €8 for it? Oh, the humanity. About the only crummy thing they did business-wise was splitting the soundtracks into separate purchases, that wasn't cool but hardly something to build notoriety around.

P.S. Just for the record, pretty sure Oster's Twitter thread is recounting NWN back during its BioWare development, not the Beamdog revision.
What a retarded post. The initial price for the BG collection was around 20 Euros and they added more bugs than fixes. Most of the functionality they added was straight up ripped from existing mods or added stuff from BG 2 into the base BG game. For crying out loud they actually hired one of the modders. Then they added their own horrific content, completely superfluous garbage NPCs and even worse "expansion" for whatever reason, as if BG was not already big enough with TotSC already. Also their work in UI graphics was mediocre, at best. Never mind those damn outlines and circles under the feet which were just jarring to look at.
Oh and the new "cut scenes" were shoddily made drawings which somehow in late 2010s looked worse than the 3D rendered custscenes in 1998. To add insult to injurty they also removed the Black Isle logo, the actual creators of BG. Beamturd are parasites, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Has anyone made a mod that removes their shitty movies and replaces with the original ones upscaled by AI?

If not, this mod needs to happen. Where do I post about it? Let's make it happen.

Gargaune

Magister
What a retarded post. The initial price for the BG collection was around 20 Euros and they added more bugs than fixes. Most of the functionality they added was straight up ripped from existing mods or added stuff from BG 2 into the base BG game. For crying out loud they actually hired one of the modders. Then they added their own horrific content, completely superfluous garbage NPCs and even worse "expansion" for whatever reason, as if BG was not already big enough with TotSC already. Also their work in UI graphics was mediocre, at best. Never mind those damn outlines and circles under the feet which were just jarring to look at.
You not liking the optional new content doesn't make it a "scummy business practice", you paintlicking gobshite. As for "ripping off" modders - if you've got an old game with popular mods, of course you're gonna replicate and prepackage some of those features for a remaster, because customers obviously like them. Your head's so far up your own ass that you think hiring a fan is a negative.

You think the product's shit, fine, you think it's bad bang for buck, fine as well, but there's nothing deceptive about that. Baldur's Gate slumped to €8 because interest had dropped and that's where the license holder estimated maximum aggregate profits. Beamdog picked it up, invested in whatever they thought would add value and priced it where they thought it would best perform commercially, pretty standard stuff.

To add insult to injurty they also removed the Black Isle logo, the actual creators of BG.
Dumbass, Black Isle is a commercial fucking trademark! You don't get to plaster another publisher's brand on your product, it's both credit and liability. And yes, once you've bought the thing and put it up on the store shelf, it's your product. The actual in-game end credits are still the original developers.

Oh, what's this? The Bard's Tale Remastered opens with inXile and Krome? That darned Brian Fargo snubbing poor Interplay again!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom