Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

felicity

Scholar
I use voicechat command tell my hench to stand ground then go alone and cast, or just aim well.

Solivagant

Novice
Due to my PC specs and poor optimization of NWN2's engine, playing SoZ is a nightmare because of the amount of loadings one has to go through to play for 5 minutes.

So I went and unpacked every archive in the Data folder and then repacked with the lowest compression method, "Store", in which the resulting files are actually bigger than the files you pack.

That smoothed the loadings quite a bit, but they were still a pain in the ass.

What if I just unpacked all that stuff to folders with the same name, would that work?

Also, doing this kinda breaks the updating system, because the updater validates the existing files and the checksum isn't the same. So not a very good solution. But I was desperate.

felicity

Scholar
The load time does suck. I'm playing Subtlety of Thay. The author went all the way to make the Velprintalar city as beautiful and lively as possible, with no compromise to performance hit. 30 seconds to load the map, it is wearing thin my patience to the point that I'm glad to leave the city.

Solivagant, maybe try this: in console command type rs gr_dm. It will spawn a DM NPC who you can ask to teleport your party to another area. You need to know the area tag however. Sorry it isn't a real solution, but it should let you skip the loading of a few large areas, just use it with caution as you may skip some important triggers.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yesterday i downloaded a character sheet from nwvault,which had custom gear and some pretty heavy stats.So i loaded a hero creator mod and lowered his stats (using the DebugMode->SetSTR/CON/etc),got rid of his weapons (which were too much) and basically left him with his badass looking armor (changed it's modifiers,to be more fit for a low level/medium level campaign),and then i started SoZ.I also premade my 3 other characters in the same mod,only giving them some items like chainmail shirt+1,longsword +1,thats all,no stats modifying or the sorts.
And here comes the bad part: at first the game crashed when i exited that goblin-like tribe cave,and then it crashed when i got out of the main city,shortly after.Now it crashes when i try to load the game.
I'm asking if the game has issues with custom content,since I've read somewhere that soz doesnt like the override/localvault filled with custom stuff.
I'm not sure if this is the case mainly becouse i've played OC/am playing motb with a different pc,which I made at the beginning of the oc,no custom stuff or the like,and that basically all the custom files (armor revamp,cloaks with hoods,etc) I've just recently added specially for this playthrough.
I didn't want to start a different thread, since my problem regards both nwn 2 and mods/custom content.
I'd appreciate any suggestion regarding how to solve this problem,but please no answers such as "Just quit the game,it sucks anyhow".I want to try it for myself.
Thanks in advance.

felicity

Scholar
I've experienced wierd things in SoZ with custom contents, mainly the latest Kaedrin's PRC. I suspect it's because it replaces some SoZ scripts. There are many things that may crash NWN2 but I doubt changing stats and item enchantments are the causes. I'm not sure mods that change item appearance on character would cause problems since I don't use any. It's easy to test, delete everything in your override folder (back up first) then run the SoZ campaign and see if it crashes less, if the problem persists then it's probably not related to custom contents.

The latest patch 1.23 is unstable I'd bet it's the culprit if you have used the autoupdater recently. There supposed to be a hotfix coming soon.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I've played for 1-2 hours the motb campaign from where i left it, and no crashes so far, and again, in this expansion I play with a character I made and finished OC, without any Stats Tweaking,etc.
The only reason I wanted to try SoZ was becouse I really liked the idea of a low-leveled custom made (partially, from what I've heard 2 more npcs can join your group of 4, making it a total of 6 characters to control), since I really liked IWD,and this game felt like the exotic version of previously mentioned game, which was great.
Well seeing that motb get better and better (I've reached Ashenwood forest, and got the planetar-like character from the shadow version of the town), I think I'll try SoZ after I finish Motb.

And I guess that this mod will offer me a treat once it's done.

The character I downloaded was Artemis Entreri, which required these 3 mods installed:
- Arsan's Hood
- Cleitanious' Tintable Clothing Compilation Pack
- Kaedrin's PRC pack
and these are the only 3 custom content mods I've installed, plus other 3 playable mods (the hero creator,a hunt through the dark remastered,and its sequel).

Thanks again for the help, I'll respond later on when I'll retry SoZ.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm really enjoying it so far. I mean really. My two favorites before I started this one have been Mysteries of Westgate and Pool of Radiance Remastered, and I think it's every bit as good as those two, less perhaps some production quality compared to MoW.

It's rich in dialog and FR lore, is extremely well done for a "fan-made" module (although it's been developed by a private production studio) and does some really neat things I haven't seen in other modules.

The best thing about it so far, though, is that it's very finely well-balanced in terms of enemy strength, loot and overall feel.

If you're into authentic-feeling Forgotten Realms stuff, highly recommended.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=405

Disclaimer: I'm far from completing it -- taking my time to savor.

Murk

Arcane
!!! I downloaded this module along with Misery Stone (also rather well done, very bleak) but haven't gotten to it yet.

somewhat disappointed that they didn't just include a built in level-up feature but eh.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
latexmonkeys said:
Or has someone managed to fix that?

That's never happened to me. Seriously. What the fuck did you guys do to screw up the NWN2 camera so much?

Whisperer

Novice
Trinity, along with the first 2 acts of "Asphyxia" (too bad that mod falls apart after that), are THE best written and most atmospheric NWN2 mods. No overland map bullshit, but some carefully designed areas, enough lore, the use of the Search skill and great combat made Trinity the closest thing to an IWD spiritual successor (it really borrows a lot from IWD2 during the first hours ). And the ending...man, the ending.
So if you have 6-7 hours at your disposal and can ignore the crap about the camera, this is the mod to play.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Mikayel said:
somewhat disappointed that they didn't just include a built in level-up feature but eh.

Included in Trinity as of ver. 1.05.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom