Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there any mod that add spells, prestige classes, and such?

I know PRC exists, but I find that to be way overkill.

I am thinking more of Call of the Wild mod for PfK which doesn't transform the game into some unbalanced mess, but more of a simple addition of base game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Are there different versions of the EE NWN PacKages (ie new content?). I have an EE but on gog i notice its showing a version not in my cache:

https://af.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_enhanced_edition_digital_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

The only stuff in this version i see that i don't recall is:

Three premium modules:
Discover over 40 hours of new stories, then go on to sample the hundreds of modules created by community members just like you.
  • Kingmaker
  • ShadowGuard
  • Witch’s Wake
The Aurora Toolset: Build your own world full of unique monsters, items, traps, encounters, and settings, then share your creation with the rest of the Neverwinter Nights community. (Windows only)
Dungeon Master Client: Become the storyteller! Control monsters, creatures, and characters your players will meet over the course of an adventure.

I can't say i recall the aurora toolset builder. Is this pack just updated because of Tyrants of moonsea DLC? GoG has issue on packets at times. I swore mine was complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Re: building principles

Do you guys generally prefer min-maxing or having a wider spread? For example,

STR 10 DEX 20 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 8 CHA 8

or

STR 12 DEX 18 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 8

Seeing how increasing attributes from 14 to 15/16 costs 2 points, and from 16 to 17/18 costs 3 points (in most cases), the former could be regarded as inefficient.

I would agree it is possible to carry min-maxing too far in NWN, and I would tend to prefer something like the second spread myself for a more versatile character. Ultimately though it depends on the specific build and environment. A more thoroughly min-maxed build would likely make more sense in a pure hack & slash module, for example, and less sense in one with lots of opportunities for skill use, role-playing, etc. And of course most NWN modules are easy enough that an optimized build is rather wasted on them anyway.

Are there different versions of the EE NWN PacKages (ie new content?). I have an EE but on gog i notice its showing a version not in my cache...

I do not know anything in particular about the GOG version specifically, but it appears that the "Deluxe edition" you link to is simply bundling a lot of the Premium Module DLCs that were previously being sold separately? The toolset and Dungeon Master client are standard features of any NWN download, and since Diamond the Kingmaker, Shadowguard and Witch's Wake modules have been as well, so those are not new, and you should have had them (though perhaps not used them) all along. Beamdog did recently release a new patch for NWN: EE and there is often a delay before new patches become available on GOG. Aside from that, I doubt you have anything to worry about unless you are interested in one of the new premium modules.

Sabotin

Scholar
Soooo, there's a new premium module that came alongside the 1.80 EE patch a bit ago, anyone tried it? I did and regret it...

There's barely any gameplay (something like 3-4 fights, 2-3 persuade checks, 2-3 alignment shifts) and the story consists of mostly background loredumps. Some attempts at non-linearity perhaps in the way the days are structured? You have two basic areas you can visit freely and then every day you can explore an additional plot related area. Then you go to sleep and pick between another two areas. I assume these are different paths but I don't really want to play through again. There's some side/background stories from certain NPCs of which you unlock a piece every day.
Companions, there's 2 I think that'd qualify? At least those two have some background info ready if you ask them. There's some more henchmen you can have but they're almost literaly "Hi I'm a rogue, pay me 50g to go with you." types... In general the NPCs seem very sloppy, with looping "first encounter" talks or not having reactions at all, chatting with other NPCs that are not there anymore. Some inkeeper even sells maps for OC NWN areas. Dialogues just made me sigh. Your investigation is basically going around "HI WHERE CAN I BUY THIS ILLEGAL DRUG AND WHO IS YOUR SUPPLIER" to everyone until you hit the right NPC with it. I mean, the enemies aren't much better, with the classical detailed plan monologue before combat.
Man even the combat music I've found annoying, fully aware that it only play a couple of times. The opening movie is even too tiny/blurry to read (must be 640*480 or something?) and again a log-ass narration that makes you lose interest before even starting. How is that even possible with Planescape?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
There has been some discussion of the latest "premium" module in other threads: here and here.

Reports on it seem to be universally negative. That would not be surprising on the Codex, but even commenters on the Neverwinter Vault forums and Beamdog's own forums, where the general attitude to Beamdog products tends to be more positive, have been singularly unimpressed by it, with one of the latter proclaiming it to be "the worst RPG I've ever seen."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am a proponent* of SoD too, but their track record is of awfulness.

*it's fine

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Something released by Beamdog is awful? Utter shock and bewilderment!

Based on reports (admittedly I have not played this module myself, and doubt I want to), this appears to be noticeably below even Beamdog's usual standards, which actually is somewhat surprising.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Well, I guess you learn new things every day, even after 20 years.

• Apparently, there is a "Take 20" mechanic present in NwN; namely when you use the following skills outside of combat - Animal Empathy, Set Trap, Disable Trap, Heal - you automatically roll a 20. Didn't know that.
  • Also, while I knew about the hidden bonuses linked to Tumble, I didn't know that having 5 hard points in Set Trap provides a +2 synergy to Disable trap (and vice versa).
  • The hidden Spellcraft bonus uses modified ranks, not only hard points. Which means that taking a Skill Focus or Epic Skill Focus directly boosts your saves vs. spells.
  • Standing still grants you the full benefits of active detect mode, even if not actually in that mode.
  • I didn't even know that pre-epic BAB is the only way to increase the number of attacks per round. This one I'm actually ashamed of.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Do you guys think Epic Dodge is worth it on a ranged character?

It probably is. Just because you are trying to avoid getting into melee range does not mean you will always succeed, and if you are DEX-based in any case, the pre-requisites will mainly be stuff it will be useful to have regardless.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
SoD wasn't awful. Had some good encounters, nice dungeons, and good art.
If they hired competent writers it actually would have been decent. Shame.

Well, storyfags have picked SoD apart if you care to look into it (I'm not a storyfag so it didn't bother me). I agree that combat encounter design was good (aVENGER).

Poseidon00

Arcane
All styles are viable, go with flavor or preference.

Also install alternate combat animations if you haven't. They gud

Poseidon00

Arcane
Dark Dreams of Furiae. Lord almighty, there is so much incompetence surrounding everything that BD touches it never gets old.

Which is a shame, because I want premium modules.

Poseidon00

Arcane
i mean, do shield get redudant like in the later stages of bg2/tob?

No, not really. They will provide a much bigger AC boost and some other benefits besides. If you are using a Paladin you can further stack armor class with skills like Divine Shield, and you can get into the mid-40's of AC with little trouble, and further if you put some effort in. You will be difficult to hit by all save the most powerful of enemies.

Poseidon00

Arcane
This reminds me. The Shield of Prator is for sale in Cania. Pick that one up, it's perfect for a Paladin and probably one of the best in-game pieces of equipment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom