Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Andysks

Novice
Thanks!

Is there any reactivity one should be aware of before starting? Is there more content for certain classes or races etc?

None whatsoever. You can play any class or race you want, from the ones available. Only two have been removed for lore reasons. Divine Agent and NW Nine. There is available loot from all possible weapons and armors and shops where you can find any item you wish for. Furthermore, there may be situations where an NPC will react different depending on your class, but in a non hindering way. For example, if you play a fighter and the NPC wants to talk to a wizard, just get the wizard companion with you. Although this only happens 1-2 times.

The only situation where there is really more content depends on your actions. Depending on how you play the game up to a certain spot, you might end up getting more content because of a branching path. Can't say more without spoilers :D.

Andysks

Novice
I feel I also need to mention that it might be worth waiting until february to play Return of the Exile because I am currently working on an enormous update which will add some content, fix various minor issues/typos and balance combats.

It is of course playable as is, and (hopefully) enjoyable .

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Lilura, would you recommend playing through Swordflight with Diamond or EE? I have tried Swordflight and played through CH1 and a little of CH2 in EE (with PRC Pack integrated) and really liked what I played, but I found the PRC Pack too bloated for my tastes, yet I would still like to play with some additonal prestige classes. I know of PRC lite but that does not work with EE, so I guess my primary question is, is the performance of Swordflight in Diamond any good? I remember trying to play aielund in Diamond but getting consistently 30 fps and lower while getting 60+ in EE at all times.

Farewell young Prince into the night

would you recommend playing through Swordflight with Diamond or EE?

Some users have cited issues when using the EE to play through Swordflight, although they may have been resolved by now. Also, he (rogueknight333) still uses the Diamond edition to develop the series, and as far as I am aware, stays away from the EE.

I would assume the safe/intended option is to use Diamond, but Lilura will be able to give you a more authoritative response if she chooses.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I recommend that Swordflight be played with Diamond if it is practical to do so (i.e., you actually have Diamond and are not one of those unlucky people who cannot get it to work correctly on modern operating systems). This is simply because the series has been developed on Diamond and has been extensively play-tested in that version, so the probability of running into a serious bug is low, which unfortunately cannot be said about EE. That said, the latest patch for EE allegedly fixes the known issues specific to Swordflight (though quite possibly introducing others) and some people managed to get through EE play-throughs without issue even before that. Whether or how well each version performs can unfortunately vary considerably from one player's specific computer system to another's, so it is hard to generalize about that.

Lilura's preference for orignal versions and disdain for EEs is well enough known that she probably considers this a stupid question unworthy of response.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura, would you recommend playing through Swordflight with Diamond or EE?

I recommend playing Swordflight any way you possibly can.

I remember trying to play aielund in Diamond but getting consistently 30 fps and lower while getting 60+ in EE at all times.

If the glove fits...

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
As I have bitched and moaned so often previously about EE on this forum, I wonder if the game would run smoother with an updated 64-bit binary. The starting tavern of Swordflight 1 seemed to run particularly awful with EE on my mid-end rig (GTX 1070, i5 3.9 GHz), enough to make me throw up my hands and ragequit EE forever. On Diamond SW1 runs flawlessly. Another thing is that when I look at all the "enhanced" visual features of EE (which in all fairness are optional and can be turned off in menu I understand) where everything has this godly, golden glow, it reminds me of a lines from a funny sketch from a certain famous UK comedy troupe: "Your Majesty is a stream of bat's piss. One of Shaw's! One of Shaw's!" "What I meant, Your Majesty, is that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark." Diamond just looks better. EE is bat's piss. Beamdog spins that it shines out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark. We know better.

Antigoon

Augur
Lilura, would you recommend playing through Swordflight with Diamond or EE? I have tried Swordflight and played through CH1 and a little of CH2 in EE (with PRC Pack integrated) and really liked what I played, but I found the PRC Pack too bloated for my tastes, yet I would still like to play with some additonal prestige classes. I know of PRC lite but that does not work with EE, so I guess my primary question is, is the performance of Swordflight in Diamond any good? I remember trying to play aielund in Diamond but getting consistently 30 fps and lower while getting 60+ in EE at all times.
I am currently playing swordflight in EE (end of chapter 3) and so far everything works well. There is just one area in chapter 2 which is re-used in chapter 3 (Bandit Fortress) which has massive performance problems (fps < 20). Not sure if the same problem is present in diamond.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Playing through Swordflight CH2 and I came across the haunted house quest. Having trouble with it though as after I have assembled the seal of truth, I go to the room with the portal and cast true seeing on myself, but the portal is not giving me any options to go anywhere. Any console commands I can use to progress this quest?

EDIT: NVM just edited the script that checks for true seeing, fixed now (well, a work-around, but whatever).

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Playing through Swordflight CH2 and I came across the haunted house quest. Having trouble with it though as after I have assembled the seal of truth, I go to the room with the portal and cast true seeing on myself, but the portal is not giving me any options to go anywhere...

In what version did this bug occur? I checked it in Diamond and EE and it worked correctly for me in both, so I am not sure what happened, but that sort of information is usually relevant to investigating such things.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Playing through Swordflight CH2 and I came across the haunted house quest. Having trouble with it though as after I have assembled the seal of truth, I go to the room with the portal and cast true seeing on myself, but the portal is not giving me any options to go anywhere...

In what version did this bug occur? I checked it in Diamond and EE and it worked correctly for me in both, so I am not sure what happened, but that sort of information is usually relevant to investigating such things.
I doubt it had anything to do with Swordflight itself, but with PRC that was added to it, or maybe it had something to do with EE. I'm using the PRC'd Swordflight modules Stratovarius uploaded to the vault.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Henchmen are probably the single worst thing about Swordflight. The AI is so, so bad. It's been a while since I played OC, but I don't remember it being this bad during it, though maybe thats because it was so piss easy. I'm in Telbas Village and the only companion who even does anything is Kelem, who promptly dies because he has no support because Barazah is completely bugged and doesn't even fight, just stands there completely immobile and it doesn't matter what commands I give him, the only solution is to kill him and raise him but even then the problem returns at random or on a reload or area transition. Talu is almost as useless because all he does is spam color spray over and over which doesn't even work the majority of the time and sometimes even stuns me and gets me killed. The henchmen actually make the game HARDER instead of easier, its ridiculous.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Complaints about the henchman AI in Swordflight are quite common. It is the same AI used in the OCs and many other modules, where it attracts comparatively little notice, so I assume the problem is precisely that Swordflight's greater difficulty makes the henchmen's incompetence actually matter. Henchmen have always had a tendency to make the game harder rather than easier. I remember one of the relatively hardest parts of the OC being simply trying to keep the henchman alive, when I endeavored to do that just as a larping exercise, there being no actual reason to bother keeping them alive (in fact doing so would penalize you XP). It is just that when they raise the difficulty from super-easy to merely easy one tends not to notice it as much.

However, it is odd you are having such problems with Barazh, who in my experience is generally one of the more useful henchmen. It seems possible that the PRC or some other add-on might be making the AI act up even more than usual. It is true that even with the default AI henchmen will occasionally bug out and stand around doing nothing, but it should not be happening that often. Further, it is most common with stealthed or invisible henchmen and rarely happens to straight-forward fighter-types.

While not the only possible tactic, often the simplest, if counter-intuitive, method of effedtively employing caster henchmen is to instruct them not to cast spells in battle, use them for buffs only, and just have them act like fighters in combat.

Inf0mercial

Augur
One of the sanity saving tips that i got from lilura was to bind follow stand and fight on f1-3.

It lets you spam commands like stand still for follow to get them away from enemies, which is vital later on when you want them to avoid running into a dozen water elementals because you don't have a death warding spell, saves your sanity and raise dead scrolls, or avoid them charging into a group of berserkers.

Also well how do i say this, Talu is the worst just the absolute worst, even on my lawful good characters i take Zagash because holy fuck is talu bad with spell choices and dies in a second, i like to think this is intended because Good is a harder overall play through but it could be my PTSD from the desert location speaking where you suddenly go from Zagash to him and if you forget to rest right away he doesn't have any spells memorised leading to him just using a level 2 magic missile wand the entire time.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Complaints about the henchman AI in Swordflight are quite common. It is the same AI used in the OCs and many other modules, where it attracts comparatively little notice, so I assume the problem is precisely that Swordflight's greater difficulty makes the henchmen's incompetence actually matter. Henchmen have always had a tendency to make the game harder rather than easier. I remember one of the relatively hardest parts of the OC being simply trying to keep the henchman alive, when I endeavored to do that just as a larping exercise, there being no actual reason to bother keeping them alive (in fact doing so would penalize you XP). It is just that when they raise the difficulty from super-easy to merely easy one tends not to notice it as much.

However, it is odd you are having such problems with Barazh, who in my experience is generally one of the more useful henchmen. It seems possible that the PRC or some other add-on might be making the AI act up even more than usual. It is true that even with the default AI henchmen will occasionally bug out and stand around doing nothing, but it should not be happening that often. Further, it is most common with stealthed or invisible henchmen and rarely happens to straight-forward fighter-types.

While not the only possible tactic, often the simplest, if counter-intuitive, method of effedtively employing caster henchmen is to instruct them not to cast spells in battle, use them for buffs only, and just have them act like fighters in combat.
My comment sounds a bit harsh in retrospect, sorry, I was just frustrated yesterday. I think you may be right in regards to PRC and Barazh, but I do not know why that would be the case, every other companion/summon that I played with so far works fine, its just Barazh thats messed up. When I first encountered him in Dark Calimport, I saw his petrified body hovering above the ground and when I un-petrified him he dropped back down to the ground, don't know if that's relevant at all, but I got some kind of feeling that has something to do with his messed up behavior. He doesn't follow me at all either btw, he just stays in one spot (usually the point where he transitions into an area) unless I get into some conversation with someone that involves him or something like that at which point he teleports to me.

Mod wise, the only other overrides apart from PRC that I have are some models that remove the FPS-killing sparkle from the pixie and faerie dragon familiars and CCOH.

Overall, apart from the henchmen, I am really liking this module.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
My comment sounds a bit harsh in retrospect, sorry, I was just frustrated yesterday...

I have heard worse, and it is basically true that the AI is terrible. I would like to consider this a flaw in NWN rather than Swordflight in particular, which it technically is, but I clearly underestimated the extent to which Swordflight's increased difficulty also increases the frustration it causes. My optimistic assumption was that anyone playing NWN in the first place would just take the bad AI as a given of that game. Albeit in the case of Zarala in particular, the frustration is actually intentional. She is supposed to be annoying and incompetent.

However, it does seem that in your game Barazh has bugged out somehow, which is unfortunate as he is usually one of the more useful henchmen. I have no idea whether this was caused by the EE, PRC, or something else, but whatever is going on with him is definitely not typical. I may look in to trying to replicate the issue at some point, but am not sure when I will have the time.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I've played the official campaigns a long time ago and even enjoyed the main one which everyone seems to hate. I've been feeling nostalgic lately though. Are there any good undead focused modules I should play? Maybe something with vampires?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked it too. Not one of my favorites but it was ok and got pretty good near the end. Being a high level mage was really fun. The expansions were much better though, one was especially good.

Any cool classic module pnp conversions that you would recommend? I played a couple, but they were so so.
Only one I really liked was The Accursed Tower, set on Icewind Dale.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Any cool classic module pnp conversions that you would recommend? I played a couple, but they were so so.
Only one I really liked was The Accursed Tower, set on Icewind Dale.

Some of the better PnP conversions:

C2 - The Ghost Tower of Inverness and S4 - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, by SirOtus
N1 - Against the Cult of The Reptile God by Rich Barker
Uk2 - The Sentinel by heresiologist
S1 - Tomb of Horrors by Ghool

If you liked Accursed Tower, you could always try some of Udasu's other conversions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom