Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Fable from Playground Games

Larianshill

Arbiter
You think there's any chance of this game being taken out the back and shot, with everything that's going on?

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Yes, maybe. If they're in the position they were like 3 times already where they feel like yeah we need to start again then that's it for Fable as franchise. If it still meets deadlines etc. then the development will continue as for all we know it'll be open world third person action rpg and that tends to sell well when it works.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I believe they are rebuilding the game. Regardless of their conceit and ESG, they also care about money.

That doesn't mean the latest iteration will be worth looking at the trailer for.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Yes, maybe. If they're in the position they were like 3 times already where they feel like yeah we need to start again then that's it for Fable as franchise. If it still meets deadlines etc. then the development will continue as for all we know it'll be open world third person action rpg and that tends to sell well when it works.
How do you fuck up an open world RPG so much, you need to start over three times?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Release timeline

I think i found the entire Lost Chapters stuck on someone's google box years back. I go hmmm, FREE GAME. It was ok to fuck around in for a bit. I should have finished it but instead I made like 10 alts to try some different shit which was pointless. Just a meh time waster.

Eh, checking steam I must've gotten Fable Anniversary in a Humble Bundle with other games because I sure as hell didn't purchase it. If i purchased, I would have bought DLC.

Odd, they never released a complete Fable pack on steam or elsewhere just to put PC on top for completion. And yeah, include pub games, coin golf, and Fortune. Someone would buy it. Console exclusives annoy me at times.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Odd, they never released a complete Fable pack on steam or elsewhere just to put PC on top for completion. And yeah, include pub games, coin golf, and Fortune. Someone would buy it. Console exclusives annoy me at times.
I think one of the fable games got broken cause it relied on windows game live service as drm, and I guess they're too lazy to remove that and don't want to risk packaging it with a crack.
Also, fable 2 not on PC either.

I actually quite enjoyed fable the lost chapters, I played it many times over. I really liked the "fable" type atmosphere, tbh I wish they pushed more into it.

A-Minish

Educated
I think one of the fable games got broken cause it relied on windows game live service as drm, and I guess they're too lazy to remove that and don't want to risk packaging it with a crack.
Also, fable 2 not on PC either.

I actually quite enjoyed fable the lost chapters, I played it many times over. I really liked the "fable" type atmosphere, tbh I wish they pushed more into it.
Probably the third game or one of the few that followed.

Fable 2 is unofficialy on PC but you have to use an emulator(Xenia) and have a PC powerful enough to run it. Mine is getting too old to handle it unfortunately.

https://vimm.net/vault/78736 and https://vimm.net/vault/78367 for the iso.

Molyneux sweet little lies aside, Fables game were always with an absurd humor with a few gimmicky features here and there. It is a bit like Naheulkbeuk(podcast, books, games, etc), if you do not get the humor then there is a good chance you will never be into it. Alas, like many, the serie regressed more and more into nothingness.

Technomancer

Liturgist
if you do not get the humor then there is a good chance you will never be into it. Alas, like many, the serie regressed more and more into nothingness.
Coz key mind behind it, Dene Carter left early during 3. He was one of the core people that brought creative vision of the fable games. He is in fact true person behind fable, Molyneux did jack shit when it came to actual dev. Beyond forcing everybody to do shitty "killer features" that he could upsell and market. Like fucking dog in 2 that nobody in Lionhead wanted. And in 3 it was hand holding feature, pointless distraction that ate dev time and killed actually important for the series features, like extreme hero morphing.

Carter has a Fable AMA channel on his Fluttermind discord, where he shares insides from fable days. There is a lot of suppressed resentment, he didn't even care to visit when there was a big former Lionhead meet up a few years ago. But he learned to not open his mouth too much after someone ratted him over and he realized he can potentially get sued for libel and shit. Still, lots of interesting trivia there and various bits of unpublished demi-canon fable lore.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
N87cfNg.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The smarmy mockumentary framing they're going for here is a lot more clever than what the original games did.

TheSoul

Scholar
That dialogue..."you are like literally my favorite person" and mentioning haters and fanclubs. At this point just set every game in current year and call it urban fantasy.

Modron

Arcane
For every 20 writers/designers a game studio has they should have at least one employee whose job is to backhand staff members everytime they say or write literally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom