Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

Redlands

Arcane
I just wanted to inform those who have not played that there is a character named Mr. Fancycakes in this reboot of KQ.

Well...

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Fifi_le_Yipyap

One of the things I have disliked about this new game is that there is a very bi-sexual vibe to the game.

Well, don't worry! According to tumblr there's something called "bisexual erasure" that will get rid of that pesky unpleasantness for you HHR Korgoth! Granted, I don't know what it is, but I think this can help:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seemed to me the Sierra Humble Bundle was a fundraiser for finishing this game since Activision doesn't want to waste any more pennies on it themselves.

This. They're dumping it out, just praying to reach the finish line - the game was not what Activision had hoped for, in terms of sales or popularity, and they're not about to invest any more money in "Sierra". That's it, folks!

Bt

Seemed to me the Sierra Humble Bundle was a fundraiser for finishing this game since Activision doesn't want to waste any more pennies on it themselves.

This. They're dumping it out, just praying to reach the finish line - the game was not what Activision had hoped for, in terms of sales or popularity, and they're not about to invest any more money in "Sierra". That's it, folks!

Bt

Are you saying this based on inside knowledge, as you were with TTG losing the KQ license, or just speculation? I'm not asking you to name names or anything. Just curious.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Are you saying this based on inside knowledge, as you were with TTG losing the KQ license, or just speculation? I'm not asking you to name names or anything. Just curious.

Nobody at IQ had "inside knowledge" of TTG losing the KQ license. It was blatantly obvious from the way they announced it and then never said anything about it again for years, all the while moving further and further away from creating anything resembling traditional adventure games. We just said it out loud.

Nobody at IQ had "inside knowledge" of TTG losing the KQ license. It was blatantly obvious from the way they announced it and then never said anything about it again for years, all the while moving further and further away from creating anything resembling traditional adventure games. We just said it out loud.

Telltale's deal with Activision expired; the license is being held by Activision, as are all the Sierra IPs. They're "doing something of their own" with them, as far as I know. The only reason the Larry remake happened is that Codemasters bought the IP years ago, and now licensed it to Replay game.
Activision has their own plans, evidently, so look out for whatever that lump of shit might be.

Sorry to join the forum to reply, but you've repeated this many times in the Telltale forums, but as far as I can tell it is just your speculation (however informed). While it's very likely the case, and was also Josh Mandel's reading of the situation, can you support it with any actual evidence?

And the reply, after the info came out that TTG axed KQ:
Heh - it's funny. I'd known about this deal for almost a year now, and I tried telling people not to expect it from Telltale, and the amount of hate I got for it was AMAZING! So much so that even one dude followed me over here to ask me for proof. (It was in private conversations with friends of mine in the business that I knew this, and I didn't want to discuss that.) Yet it turns out, I was the only one being straight with all those sycophants for a year. (With them yelling at me, accusing me of spreading lies and rumors about Tellltale.)

I drank a nice glass of Scotch in my honor last night. Heh.

Bt

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/whats-up-with-kings-quest-these-days.81403/page-3

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I personally knew from an associate of mine, about the state of licensing, and I called it three years ago - lump of shit. I'm going to drink another scotch in my honor this evening.

Lambonius is right - there was no behind the scenes IQ knowledge of such things - it was just something I knew personally.

Bt

So one of the first puzzles in the new chapter is changing baby Alexander's diaper, heating baby Rosella's bottle and feeding her, and there's a QTE sequence wherein you have to burp her.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Jesus-tapdancing-christ, that trailer? Seriously? They're really doubling down with that asshole over-excited Graham thing. What the absolute fuck. Seriously. I know some assholes out there are going to like this, but I feel so goddamn bad for their poor wasted and useless souls. I might be hyberbolic, but really - the writing and characterization in this game sucks dead sweaty donkey balls. Dead. Sweaty. Donkey. Balls.

Bt

According to a playthrough I watched, total playtime is around 1 hour, 20 minutes (and that's taking into equation some errors the longplayer made).
Also, "Cone-itch-wa Riches!" and "No ducks were given" are quotes.

Also, Cassima's name in KQ5/6 is pronounced as Cass-Eem-Ma. It's now pronounced Cass-Emma in this new game.

Minor quibble, but if they're such big KQ fans as they claimed, how could they fuck up one of the main character's names?

Jackalope

Arcane
if they're such big KQ fans as they claimed, how could they fuck up one of the main character's names?

Heh, they fucked up a lot more than that.

I'm very amused at the way they try to fit the new King's quest with the old timeline, yet manage to contradict it most of the time and it ends up like quite the mess. On the one hand you have new players, who have no idea what's going on, because every episode jumps a few years between the old games. And on the other hand, old fans are scratching their heads, while trying to figure out how the new pieces fit with the old games (Spoilers: They don't).

I'm going to play this episode later today, from that trailer I don't expect much. The dramatic evil wizard versus the retarded guards is so bad... These guys have no idea of tone.

if they're such big KQ fans as they claimed, how could they fuck up one of the main character's names?

Heh, they fucked up a lot more than that.

I'm very amused at the way they try to fit the new King's quest with the old timeline, yet manage to contradict it most of the time and it ends up like quite the mess. On the one hand you have new players, who have no idea what's going on, because every episode jumps a few years between the old games. And on the other hand, old fans are scratching their heads, while trying to figure out how the new pieces fit with the old games (Spoilers: They don't).

I'm going to play this episode later today, from that trailer I don't expect much. The dramatic evil wizard versus the retarded guards is so bad... These guys have no idea of tone.

They're outright ignoring the existence of original games at this point. KQ3 and KQ4 did not happen.
No, they don't. A few minutes before Alexander is kidnapped, you're changing diapers and Graham says to Alexander how he knows he'd rather have a burger than the milk he's feeding him. A burger. In a medieval-esque universe. Then a few minutes later, the family is having a staring contest...

George Lucas was better at writing real human emotion than this.

Also, one of the characters says "Kon'nichiwa, Riches!"

And, Graham says, "No ducks were given." In response to a character not giving them novelty rubber duckies on their vacation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Jesus-tapdancing-christ, that trailer? Seriously? They're really doubling down with that asshole over-excited Graham thing. What the absolute fuck. Seriously. I know some assholes out there are going to like this, but I feel so goddamn bad for their poor wasted and useless souls. I might be hyberbolic, but really - the writing and characterization in this game sucks dead sweaty donkey balls. Dead. Sweaty. Donkey. Balls.
And this was the perfect opportunity for a game based around Dad-jokes... such a pity.

BR4ZIL

Novice
At this point its more fun to watch you guys comment on the game than anything else. I am glad i didint gave these devs a cent.

Also, isnt Kon'nichiwa a russian word? I clearly remember Ivan from Jagged Alliance 1 saying that each time he took an enemy down.

Was he actually a russian that spoke japanese? Or is there a very similar sounding word in russian?

Jackalope

Arcane
What did I just play? I really wasn't expecting anything much, but boy was it bad. A bunch of sliding puzzles to pad the game time and some forced over-the-top drama mixed with cheepest comedy ever. You can't be dramatic and funny at the same time...

The only thing I kinda liked was the Sphinx and they managed to ruin that at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom