Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ahh thanks for all the different ending stuff. I'll assume they may be possibly going with the Destroy (Best) ending.

Reapers and synthetics are destroyed, Earth is saved, Shepard survives.

Still a bit curious how they will approach this next games story/setting.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Remember that time someone datamined information proving that there weren't enough war assets for the best ending without playing multiplayer, which was a doubly fucked up because xbox players had to pay for multiplayer, and the only way to play and import your character from the first game was to on xbox. But please, do open your wallets, as I'm sure EA totally intends to make the best gaming experience possible this time around.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'll assume they may be possibly going with the Destroy (Best) ending.
There is no such thing as "best" ending, all of them are beyond shit. Refusal was okay, could have been great if Shepard didn't give some cringe speech about "hope", but that's all ruined when they said how the next cycle wins by just using the crucible and choosing one of the 3 colour endings.

Remember that time someone datamined information proving that there weren't enough war assets for the best ending without playing multiplayer, which was a doubly fucked up because xbox players had to pay for multiplayer, and the only way to play and import your character from the first game was to on xbox. But please, do open your wallets, as I'm sure EA totally intends to make the best gaming experience possible this time around.
That hasn't been necessary for almost a decade at this point.

They should just move on to a different continuity so they don’t even have to deal with the endings. Nobody actually gives a shit about a new Mass Effect being connected to the other ones. Just let the first three Mass Effect games and Andromeda be their own thing. And some new Mass Effect game be it’s own thing. Final Fantasy does it all the time. Those Call of Duty games do it to some degree I think. The audience will be OK with it. Just like, keep the aliens, keep the Spectres, maybe keep the look or maybe do something different, and people will be fine. They won’t do that, but they should do it.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll assume they may be possibly going with the Destroy (Best) ending.
There is no such thing as "best" ending, all of them are beyond shit. Refusal was okay, could have been great if Shepard didn't give some cringe speech about "hope", but that's all ruined when they said how the next cycle wins by just using the crucible and choosing one of the 3 colour endings.
I'll assume you didn't like that you were forced to use the Crucible and then pick one of three endings?

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'll assume you didn't like that you were forced to use the Crucible and then pick one of three endings?
No, I didn't like the crucible. It's retarded. But even then it could've been passable if what you do with it makes any sense. If you're going to use such a blatant deus ex machina device, you can do so much with it, so the Crucible should be the worst part of the ending. In practice, it's actually the best and most fleshed out part of the entire outro starting at Cerberus Base. That takes some special skill, I still don't know how they did it.

MerchantKing

Learned
I'm assuming that since Bioware is going to have to outdo all the other pronoun games it's not only going to include bestiality but it's going to include pedophilia and necrophilia as well.

keep the Spectres
Nobody cares about this. The spectres were only relavent in Mass Effect 1, the other two games just shifted to "shepard can do it because plot" and no one batted an eye.

It’s a fun conceit for the series. Secret Agent in Space. It’s also something you can basically do anything with, so it’s the kind of umbilical core you can have running through any changing setting that feels connect to the first game, but would still allow for whatever.

keep the Spectres
Nobody cares about this. The spectres were only relavent in Mass Effect 1, the other two games just shifted to "shepard can do it because plot" and no one batted an eye.

It’s a fun conceit for the series. Secret Agent in Space. It’s also something you can basically do anything with, so it’s the kind of umbilical core you can have running through any changing setting that feels connect to the first game, but would still allow for whatever.
Yes but you said "audience is okay with it". I'm saying the mass effect audience doesn't give a fuck about it, that's why you get shit ME2 as a critically acclaimed game.

keep the Spectres

Yes but you said "audience is okay with it". I'm saying the mass effect audience doesn't give a fuck about it, that's why you get shit ME2 as a critically acclaimed game.

You are still a Spectre in Mass Effect 2.

Maybe they wouldn’t care. Who gives fuck? I just seems like a fun little idea for the series to hang its hat on. You keep the same alien races, you keep the idea of being a secret agent in space, (being a Spectre) and that’s about all you need. Could keep the Syd Mead aesthetic as well, but it could also be good for the series to do other things too; and then when they do return to the Syd Mead look people might be like: Oh, the classic Mass Effect style is back.

skaraher

Cipher
You are still a Spectre in Mass Effect 2.
No you're not. You can be spectre again only if Anderson is councilor and the only impact it has on the game is bypassing an interrogation sequence in Thane's quest that's impossible to fail anyway.

Also Shepard being a specter really dont had much to ME1 story.

Shepard being a spectre was a decent reason for why he could do a lot of things in the plot and paved the way for some world building. It was used pretty well. It's completely useless in ME2 & ME3.

That reminds me how much the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC pisses me off. Another spectre calls you out on your hypocrisy and you just have to kill her no matter what because she's a "bad guy".

Hagashager

Educated
Shepard being a spectre was a decent reason for why he could do a lot of things in the plot and paved the way for some world building. It was used pretty well. It's completely useless in ME2 & ME3.

That reminds me how much the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC pisses me off. Another spectre calls you out on your hypocrisy and you just have to kill her no matter what because she's a "bad guy".
The Spectre schtick was really neat when I first played it. It felt cooler than even being a Jedi in Kotor.

You were a lone agent, a ranger, a badass super spy. It felt awesome, and the world made it feel awesome.

ME 2 just dropped it completely though, even going so far as to imply it had almost no meaning in the first game.

Evidently, the line between Spectre and random citizen with a gun is really thin.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Ahh thanks for all the different ending stuff. I'll assume they may be possibly going with the Destroy (Best) ending.

Reapers and synthetics are destroyed, Earth is saved, Shepard survives.

Still a bit curious how they will approach this next games story/setting.

It's pretty weird as when the game was released, I obviously thought that the synthesis ending was best. However, a decade later, post social media hate implosion, post-Trump, post-ChatGPT, post-TechBro techno-fascist shit-show, I'm now a full on luddite, and were I to play again, the Destroy ending would seem like the obvious best choice.

Strange the difference a decade makes.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You can be spectre again only if Anderson is councilor and the only impact it has on the game is bypassing an interrogation sequence in Thane's quest that's impossible to fail anyway.
Actually no, you get the same Renegade check even if you're a "former Spectre" with the same outcome.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
It's pretty weird as when the game was released, I obviously thought that the synthesis ending was best. However, a decade later, post social media hate implosion, post-Trump, post-ChatGPT, post-TechBro techno-fascist shit-show, I'm now a full on luddite, and were I to play again, the Destroy ending would seem like the obvious best choice.
An old fashioned African-American liberal that still believes in the retarded concept of free speech buys Twitter and Wrong Carlo wants to delete the internet. Checks out. Welcome to team natural selection, enjoy your very short stay (in corporeal form) before nature runs her course if we actually get what we want.

Vyvian

Educated
It's time to wake up Commander Shepherd, a new crew of diverse and inclusive newbies are ready to scold you and piss on everything you sacrificed for previously.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's time to wake up Commander Shepherd, a new crew of diverse and inclusive newbies are ready to scold you and piss on everything you sacrificed for previously.
111.jpg

Rhobar121

Scholar
Even Bioware's idiot management knows they are very close to losing their jobs. Of course there will be a lot of woke stuff, but even they are not stupid enough to deliberately shit on previous games. If they overdo it, they can be sure that EA will kill the studio, unless it does so after the failure of Dreadwolf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom