Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

racofer

Thread Incliner
There are still people that think player decision from past Bioware games matter in later games?

nCS9ioJ.jpg
RINE ENDS HERE
DING DONG BANNU

Modron

Arcane
Peak BSN will always be Tali sweat and that autist reading that frog alien prayer at his grandpa's funeral and looking around imagining his family was proud of him after it.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
They might as well make a prequel about the Skyllian Blitz or some such event without having to deal with the ME3 endings, but yeah... the red ending being canon is the only way forward for the series if they want to continue the timeline.

I dont hold much hope for this, but the first three entries in the series were p. gud. Plus the MP in ME3 was rad as hell - perhaps it wont be at least offensively bad...

Learned
I gave up on Mass Effect after 2. Can someone summarize what the red ending was?
Vanilla: All reapers, synthetics and relays are destroyed. Now buy downloadable content.

Extended cut: All reapers and synthetics are destroyed, relays are damaged. Now buy downloadable content.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
I gave up on Mass Effect after 2. Can someone summarize what the red ending was?
Red : Any computer more complex than a modern PC is destroyed. The current galactic civilizations receive a massive setback, but will recover, and the reapers are gone forever... although the balance of power will be severely shaken.
Blue : Shepard 'uploads' him/herself, via disintegration, to become the hivemind in control of the reapers. The reapers are then used to repair all damage done in the war and maintain peace (implied through force)... for now.
Green : Sigh. All life is merged with 'synthetic life'. Everyone magically gets circuits on their skin and everyone is mentally linked to everyone in the universe, leading to universal peace. All questions about "what separates synthetic life from organic life?" are reduced to 'silicon bits' vs 'fleshy bits'.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Red : Any computer more complex than a modern PC is destroyed. The current galactic civilizations receive a massive setback, but will recover, and the reapers are gone forever, although the balance of power will be severely shaken.
Blue : Shepard 'uploads' him/herself, via disintegration, to become the hivemind in control of the reapers. The reapers are then used to repair all damage done in the war and maintain peace (implied through force)... for now.
Green : Sigh. All life is merged with 'synthetic life'. Everyone magically gets circuits on their skin and everyone is mentally linked to everyone in the universe, leading to universal peace. All questions about "what separates synthetic life from organic life?" are reduced to 'silicon bits' vs 'fleshy bits'.
Given those 3 options, red is most certainly the better one. It at least opens up an interesting balance of power between the different races.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No love for blue machine god shep?

It's a classic trope for the hero of the previous installment to be the new villain.

And it keeps the status quo from the previous games, red and green leads to drastic changes.

There is something funny about BioWare ditch open worlds for their new Mass Effect in favor of a “classic format,” when “classic format” could be said to be larger open zones since that’s what the first Mass Effect did. Sure, Mass Effect 1 did it badly, but when they were talking up that shit before it came out they were making it sound like a larger open game where you’d need to drive and out thin might run into stuff like sandworms and stuff.

Oh well, watch this game get trounced by that new open world Star Wars game UbiSoft is making where you can get into ship battles. This is probably going back to the “classic format” because it’s cheaper.

Orud

Scholar
Patron

It's a classic trope for the hero of the previous installment to be the new villain.

And it keeps the status quo from the previous games, red and green leads to drastic changes.
I'll tolerate the stupid uploading via disintegration to become space god-hitler, as long as we all agree that 'green' is just a dumpfuck ending that only becomes dumber the more you think about it. BSN's favorite ending was, ofcourse, the 'green' ending.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vanilla: All reapers, synthetics and relays are destroyed. Now buy downloadable content.

Extended cut: All reapers and synthetics are destroyed, relays are damaged. Now buy downloadable content.
Red : Any computer more complex than a modern PC is destroyed. The current galactic civilizations receive a massive setback, but will recover, and the reapers are gone forever, although the balance of power will be severely shaken.
Given those 3 options, red is most certainly the better one. It at least opens up an interesting balance of power between the different races.
The red endings also change based on your readiness score. If that score is low, the ending is a catastrophe and Shepard does not survive.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Feros is easily my most favorite Mass Effect zone, across all entries. The ancient collapsed world's depiction was excellent, along with the Thorian subplot. The Maco section was also great, the layout of the level made it feel like you were (for a moment) driving a light tank through a warzone instead of a dune buggy.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
The red endings also change based on your readiness score. If that score is low, the ending is a catastrophe and Shepard does not survive.
Your 'readiness' score affects even more than that. While I don't have the exact list in front of me, here's what I can remember from the top of my head:
  • Red was always available, no matter how low your score. 'Low' red meant everyone gets wiped out in the Sol sector, including The Normandy. 'Mid' red meant the damage is limited, only Shepard dies. The ending where Shepard survives, 'high' red, required the highest readiness possible.
  • Blue required a score quite a bit above the minimum, unless you saved 'The Collector Base' in Mass Effect 2 (then it's always available). Iirc there were only 2 options, 'low' blue meant everyone in Sol was fried, 'high' blue meant everyone (apart from Shepard) survived.
  • Green required the second highest rating of all, although still quite a big below 'high' red. Everyone survives everytime.

Hagashager

Educated
Feros is easily my most favorite Mass Effect zone, across all entries. The ancient collapsed world's depiction was excellent, along with the Thorian subplot. The Maco section was also great, the layout of the level made it feel like you were (for a moment) driving a light tank through a warzone instead of a dune buggy.
Same, Feros holds a special place in my heart. That whole section felt like peak "Star Trek" or "Battlestar Galactica"

RepHope

Savant
To add to what everyone else has said, the “good” Destroy endings just kill the Reapers, the Geth, and EDI. The relays got damaged but the good ending Destroy slides show them being repaired and life getting back to “normal”. Since we saw some concept art teasing Geth, I’m sure BioWare will undo the Geth all being wiped out, so it is literally just EDI who is permakilled with the Reapers.

As a status quo I think it’s the best option. You have some interesting potential - the races have all been devastated which means galactic politics have been overturned. The humans and turians got fucked really bad, but they also have a shitload of Reapers they can dissect for tech advancements. The Asari were the peacemakers but they probably took a huge PR hit if people found out their advancements came because they were keeping a Prothean beacon secret despite them being the ones to make it illegal. The yahg are apparently on the verge of space flight and they’re as strong/violent as krogan and as smart as salarians. The quarians have their homeworld back and are presumably one of the strongest races now since they have most of their ships and people still. The batarians got fucking destroyed and are all refugees.

There’s a lot of potential for a Post WWII in space story about a Galactic Cold War forming where there’s no big war but there’s lot of little ones breaking out as society starts to rebuild. Will BioWare actually deliver on that? No.

It would be a rehash and not worth doing. Literally so since BioWare went out of their way to beat you over the head in 3 that nothing but the Crucible can defeat the Reapers, meaning it would have to be another story building one, getting it to the Citadel and hoping the next guy picks Destroy this time. Also the teaser showed a bunch of dead Reapers - clear intent that the Reaper storyline is over.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
As a status quo I think it’s the best option. You have some interesting potential - the races have all been devastated which means galactic politics have been overturned. The humans and turians got fucked really bad, but they also have a shitload of Reapers they can dissect for tech advancements. The Asari were the peacemakers but they probably took a huge PR hit if people found out their advancements came because they were keeping a Prothean beacon secret despite them being the ones to make it illegal. The yahg are apparently on the verge of space flight and they’re as strong/violent as krogan and as smart as salarians. The quarians have their homeworld back and are presumably one of the strongest races now since they have most of their ships and people still. The batarians got fucking destroyed and are all refugees.
Don't forget that the Krogan basically lost nothing compared to the other races, and potentially had their explosive breeding rate restored via Shepard's doing or the natural resistance resurging (since the Salarians would be in no shape to stop it this time).

If Bioware would still be capable of writing good stories, we might see a resurgence of the Krogan threat. I'd love to see them going ape-shit on a shattered galaxy... but we all know that Bioware will just make them 'nice' and 'friendly'.

Hagashager

Educated
Don't forget that the Krogan basically lost nothing compared to the other races, and potentially had their explosive breeding rate restored via Shepard's doing or the natural resistance resurging (since the Salarians would be in no shape to stop it this time).

If Bioware would still be capable of writing good stories, we might see a resurgence of the Krogan threat. I'd love to see them going ape-shit on a shattered galaxy... but we all know that Bioware will just make them 'nice' and 'friendly'.
Or have the ME4 PC sic them on the Yahg. That way you have your good-guy noble-savages (Krogan) and your evil, tribal cannibals (Yahg)

Modron

Arcane
If Bioware would still be capable of writing good stories, we might see a resurgence of the Krogan threat.
That is actually a good idea have Mass Effect 4 be a couple thousand years in the future and have the alliance facing all kinds of threats resulting from paragon shepard's actions: resurging krogans, independent nation of geths, and even a threat they thought was eradicated in the form of a massive horde of arachnids since your mc could spare a queen in the first game IIRC.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
If Bioware would still be capable of writing good stories, we might see a resurgence of the Krogan threat.
That is actually a good idea have Mass Effect 4 be a couple thousand years in the future and have the alliance facing all kinds of threats resulting from paragon shepard's actions: resurging krogans, independent nation of geths, and even a threat they thought was eradicated in the form of a massive horde of arachnids since your mc could spare a queen in the first game IIRC.
...like a huge Terran Empire because Sheppard sacrifised filthy xenos in a battle with Sovereign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom