Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I listened through the whole remastered soundtrack for Replicant. I hope I can switch to the original. A lot of songs have been made slower and ruined. It's really fucking terrible. Why couldn't they just leave the original OST as it is.

Divinity: Original Sin
I noticed a lot of praise for this game recently (which I find odd given the game has been out for a few years now) and so I decided to play the game myself to see what all the fuss is about. All the talk about Yoko Taro and the 'true endings' and the big reveals got me hyped. It sounded like the kind of game I would like.

I finished it yesterday and feel disappointed. The combat was ok I guess, not really a fan of the whole Platinum style combat, I played Metal Gear Rising and I liked that more. Did not mind the shooty segments, the hacking I despised. The leveling seemed pointless. At one point I started to skip a lot of combat. As a result, I was slightly underleveled for some of the fights, which made them not harder, but more tedious. The chip system is nice but manually placing the chips is needlessly awkward. I found the world very bland. Not sure if this is a budget issue, but all the corridors in between large empty spaces made of copy pasted assets in washed out colours didn't do it for me. The amusement park level was the nicest albeit a bit small feeling. That and the frequent invisible walls coupled with shitty loot killed the exploration for me. I read that the side quests flesh out the world, but the ones I completed were too much of a chore for little to no payout so I skipped more than half of them.

All the above made me sprint through the game just to see the story unfold, it was the only saving grace left. Having finished endings A through E, I'm not sure which part I'm supposed to gasp at. I started to read around the net to see if I missed something, but it seems I didn't. I noticed that some stuff isn't even agreed upon, being more speculation than fact. I think that the story and all the sci-fi elements aren't meant to be taken too literally, so I guess what's left is the game's themes and atmosphere? The latter is at points great, I admit, but I think this is in large part due to the great soundtrack. For me this game has the 'Gothic 3 syndrome'; when you hear the soundtrack it evokes good feelings and recalls all the fond memories about the game, even making you want to play it again. But like Gothic 3, the game itself isn't actually fun to play (for me at least, even though I didn't enjoy Automata I realize that comparing the gameplay with that pile of shit is unfair).

To the people who enjoyed the game - what makes NieR: Automata great for you? I would appreciate if you could be specific and not say just 'the story' or 'the music'. I read the previous posts and all I got was "just play the game you'll see bro". Well, I played it, and now I'm trying to see if I can justify the 30 or so hours I spent on it by reading a different take on it.

I finally finished my playthrogh till ending E. I had previously played until before the flooded city EMP monster attack, back in 2017.

I loved Nier Gestalt, and as my increasing steam backlog of games that will never be finished, the whole nier replicant remake got me interested in finishing nier automata.

I liked the game, but I finally finishing it, I had the same feeling of disappointment. Obviously, I did a lot of the side quests, and read through some internet materials, discussions, and so on, but somethings I don't really get it:

If 2B is actually 2E, and killed 9S many times previously to prevent him from discovering the truth about humanity, does it actually mean that every event of the game is a repetition cycle, with the bunker and yorha being implemented everytime it is destroyed? just like the Matrix explanation of zion, when after sometime the wipe zion and those humans and start all over again? Did 9S repeatedly discovered about humanity's fate?

Also, it's implied the machines know this cycle repeats, as the boss fight against the cute red girls in the tower shows: that they evolve more if they let the androids live, because they will return stronger next time or something like that. Is this kind of meaning that the machines are project yorha creators too?

The bunker is made with a backdoor so it can be destroyed/infected by machines. How does this keep the humanity charade safe?

I feel that game events like destruction of the bunker happen for the first time just by the beginning of route C. So, the 2b killings of 9s were useless? Also, everytime 9S is killed is also before he is even close to the truth. And when 2B kills 9S in ending A and B, It's clearly because he was infected by the machine and not because he discovered the truth.

So I think this 2B idea of killing 9S all the time is there just for shocking value and it's not backed by the story and makes no sense. Even so because 9S is alive and discovered the truth anyway, and 2B makes no move to kill him after the fact.

Anyway, about the sidequests being a chore, well, for some one who played gestalt, it's a lot less tedious this time. I actually liked the hacking sessions. I liked the atmosphere and fluidity of the game. It has some anoyances, but mostly involve with forgeting to save the game in the final sections where you can't be ressurrected and try to recover you body.

well, I now will search for previous posts in this thread to see if something about it was already discussed and can elucidate me.

Sentinel

Arcane
Good, fuck that clown and his patch. Probably won't update his patch because of denuvo removal, since his patch has DRM and he's butthurt about square removing drm.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The patch is coming in few days, here are patchnotes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/524220/announcements/detail/3006699289308512390

Notice about the planned release of the Steam patch

The following fixes will be applied in the Steam patch scheduled for release on 15/07/2021.

▼ Changes made
• Borderless Video Settings
Borderless video settings have been implemented.
• Fidelity FX
A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.
• HDR
The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.
• Anti-aliasing
Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality
• UI textures (4K)
Approximately 270 UI textures for icons, backdrops and UI elements etc. now support 4K resolutions.
• Cut scenes
The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cut scenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60FPS and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.
• Global illumination
A new “Global illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels; High, Medium or Low.
• Ambient occlusion/ bloom
The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.
▼ Bug fixes
• It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
• The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
• The frame rate has been stabilized at 60FPS under default settings.
Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I finished Nier: Automata and towards the end of the game I noticed that it was published by Square Enix. It all clicked for me at that moment. This is a typical Square Enix teen angst game that I increasingly have trouble getting into as I become increasingly older and literate.

+ The main game is the right length since Nier: Automata has several tricks to play to keep things somewhat interesting. Despite the melee combat, it’s more of a ranged bullet hell shooter with different modes from over-the-shoulder combat, 2D aerial combat, and a 2D cyberspace mode. Changing the combat up between modes keeps things fresh.

+ 2B’s character model is both sexy and hilarious. There’s some constant fan service here that I’m surprised PlatinumGames got away with, and I kept chuckling as it made sense that none of the androids would have enough cultural knowledge to question why each of them look like underwear models. Humanity isn’t around to answer such questions even if the androids became curious.

+ The developers change things up enough to stave off the boredom, with fun locations such as the robot amusement park and environments that go through catastrophic changes as the story progresses, creating new pathways and areas to battle through.

+ I thought the ending to the first playthrough was pretty perfect despite the loose ends in the story.

+/- The writer’s were not up to trying to write about the higher philosophical ideas they attempted to play with. But they at least made an attempt to do something different and memorable. I applaud the effort even if it fell short.

- You can’t take a tale of existential angst, struggles with faith and religion, and scenes of cannibalism and mix it with panty shots, cutely dressed robots doing comedy tropes in a bright amusement park, and teen romantic drama.

- The additional playthroughs are a selling point of the game… play again for more content and the real story. But except for a few boss fights, the game just reuses some of the same scenes, same opponents (but with increased health bars), and the same locations. And each ending gets progressively worse until the True Ending. It becomes a real slog, and unless you really love bullet hell shooters I would almost recommend just playing through the initial playthrough and just watch the New Game+ scenes on YouTube. The gameplay is just not interesting enough to justify the slog.

The game wasn’t a bad experience, but the hype didn’t match my experience. The game caters to more casual players who care more for spectacle than gameplay. I would still recommend the game as a decent palate cleanser if it goes on sale, and if you keep to the initial playthrough which should only take 15-20 hours.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- The additional playthroughs are a selling point of the game… play again for more content and the real story. But except for a few boss fights, the game just reuses some of the same scenes, same opponents (but with increased health bars), and the same locations. And each ending gets progressively worse until the True Ending. It becomes a real slog, and unless you really love bullet hell shooters I would almost recommend just playing through the initial playthrough and just watch the New Game+ scenes on YouTube. The gameplay is just not interesting enough to justify the slog.
Ehhh. The B playthrough is definately a bit of a slog, but C is entirely new content. I think it's worth slogging through B to get to C, it's not the same watching an LP, there are some segments where having it be non-interactive means missing the point.

- You can’t take a tale of existential angst, struggles with faith and religion, and scenes of cannibalism and mix it with panty shots, cutely dressed robots doing comedy tropes in a bright amusement park, and teen romantic drama.
I beg to differ. The game is like 40 hours long, it can easily fit tonal depth.
The game caters to more casual players who care more for spectacle than gameplay.
It is a Platinum spectacle fighter spliced with a Yoko Taro tragedy. The gameplay isn't bad by any means, but you should show up for the spectacle and the story.

spekkio

Arcane
Deuce Traveler said:
You can’t take a tale of existential angst, struggles with faith and religion, and scenes of cannibalism and mix it with panty shots, cutely dressed robots doing comedy tropes in a bright amusement park, and teen romantic drama.

rating_racist.png

If you thought this game was kinda wild or that several things made no sense, wait until you play the original Drakengard, or Drakengard 3.
Is this the land of the Gods???

TOKYO, JAPAN

MasPingon

Arcane
This is a typical Square Enix teen angst game that I increasingly have trouble getting into as I become increasingly older and literate.
As an increasingly literete person, which game doesn't give you a trouble getting into?
Why not? You need it to be exalted? How is that better and more insightful? I wouldn't call 9s and 2b relation a teen romantic drama, as long as we don't call Akira teen romantic drama.

Last edited:
The thing is, the player is led to believe androids behave like 2B because that's the first character you control but it's not the case. Most androids are more like 9S, but then you learn that 2B has to keep up a facade to accomplish her mission. There's a little bit at the end of ending E that shades some light into this situation. However, this iteration of the cycle seems to have "broken" something since now even now the pods are self aware, and this makes the data deletion make sense in a story and gameplay level.

In the end it's Yoko Taro, though. It's probably the least convoluted game he's made too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
However, this iteration of the cycle seems to have "broken" something since now even now the pods are self aware...
Always have been. :M Something needs to reset the "world" periodically, considering that the entire world seems to consist of nothing more than one city and a single orbital base.

However, this iteration of the cycle seems to have "broken" something since now even now the pods are self aware...
Always have been. :M Something needs to reset the "world" periodically, considering that the entire world seems to consist of nothing more than one city and a single orbital base.
That begs the question. Are the memories that the resistance leader and A2 have of the past fake? I can't remember if it's stated as such. But Devola and Popola are at the very least new versions of the ones you find in Gestalt/Replicant. They went through heavy reprogramming, and so did Emil, so yeah, nothing really connects one game with another, which only makes the androids' situation much more terrible.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just got my copy from Amazon yesterday and played for an hour! I'm digging everything about the game so far.

Just wish someone had warned me to not die on the first boss :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom