Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

sullynathan

Arcane
What's the problem with factory settings? Mapping it to be like Souls is not a good idea imo due to stance switching.
Thing is - how often do you actually switch stances? Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've done two missions so far and I do it like twice per mission. I haven't had any major problems so far either, except the first boss, that motherfucker is a pain in the ass, with his retarded spinning and only 3 heals.

Btw I don't suppose you can find a map of kodamas for individual areas or some such? I read the amount of healing you get while resting at the shrine is based on how many of kodamas you have found but some of these little bitches are hiding so well I barely find any. I found like four in the first area (burning village). It seems like a super important feature but I don't want to bust out walkthrough for every area.
A lot once you've unlocked some decent moves that are only available in a certain stance. Some give block breaking, parrying, area of effect, etc.

Nioh can be really easy though if you're a bit competent. I've rarely died since I started playing so you might not give a shit about stance switching if you're making up for it by cheating (low stance) or using a lot of magic and ninja tools.

Hyperion

Arcane
Thing is - how often do you actually switch stances?
After every single combo to regen more Ki. In terms of actually using them, I default to Low Stance because you can block while dodging. When I wasn't comfortable fighting something, Mid Stance because stamina loss on block is reduced. Also for multiple enemies, since the movesets tend to have wide, sweeping attacks. I never stay in High Stance. It's for when I want to attack, usually a Ki depleted enemy. Once my offensive is finished, back to Low Stance I go.

Btw I don't suppose you can find a map of kodamas for individual areas or some such?
Keep an eye out for an accessory with the 'Kodama Sense' mod. It'll make them appear as green dots on your radar.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I rarely ever switched from the Axe High Stance (did some dojo bosses in low stance, though).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I default to Low Stance because you can block while dodging

You using a custom controller setup then? Coz by default block is X and dodge A. Kindda hard doing both at the same time, unless you have a mighty fat thumb.
Ps4 Controller setup. Hold L1 to Block. Press X to Dodge.
L1 by default is for the Ki pulse and also the trigger for stance swap (L1+triangle/circle/x). How do you do that?

I keep asking because I'm still experimenting with the buttons, looking for the best setup.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just got to the Sekigahara stage. Man, this shit makes me wish for a Team Ninja Samurai Warriors title...

Currently maining Odachi with Axe as an auxiliary. Keep mainly using the following combo chains:

Strong Axe attack ---> switch to Odachi at Full Ki Pulse (thus attack with weapon swap) ---> grapple attack (usually the enemy has 0 ki at this point) ---> if still alive after grapple, already have switched to low stance and do one slash & use that skill that throws you in the air and drops you behind the enemy.

If there is no grapple chance after switch to Odachi, usually go for Moonlit Snow.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well some impressions.

The combat system is not as good as the one from Dark Souls. Let me repeat this with underline: the combat system is not as good as the one from Dark Souls.

Weapons have no weight. Wtf!? That was the 1st sign that the combat mechanics are not as deep as they should be.
Stances are a bad mechanic at least with Kb + M. I've tried to bind them to keys or to mouse wheel but I simply could not make them work efficiently. In fact, I ended up unbinding them. Normal stance is enough. It's like playing Sekiro.
Side dodge/dash is problematic/clunky. Again maybe this is only a Kb + M issue but sometime the avatar simply doesn't dodge even with full Ki. I have to mash Space (my dodge/dash button) to make it work. Absolute shitshow.
There are not many types of enemies but their behavior is disgusting. They have eyes in the back of their head and some of them are super aggressive. I lost several thousands "amrita" because some fucker with an axe decided to spin out of the blue.
They also have homing attacks with no tell and some retarded reach. Most of them kill you in two hits or even one hit. I think the designer was in love with this mechanic but it doesn't feel fair.
However you can beat everything using the same tactic: dodge/dash out of enemies combos, punish them, retreat and rinse and repeat. I killed the 1st boss in one try and the 2nd boss in two tries. This never happened with me and a new DaS game.
Overall the combat is less tactical, more offensive, faster and more similar to Bloodborne/Sekiro than DaS. Which is not good in my opinion.

On the other hand, the game is not bad. I actually like the levels design and ... I did not uninstall it yet although I'm already bored. There is so much trash, mobs and loot, and I need the power of Christ! to ignore it.
The loot system is basically ported from some retarded asian MMORPG or Borderlands. Absolute garbage.
Edit: I forgot to mention that aiming is piece of cake with Kb + M.

Anyway, for me it's obvious that Sekiro's combat was inspired by Nioh but thanks to Miyazaki Sekiro's combat was better and more fluid.
Choosing between Attack/Martial Art/Deflection/Jump/Dodge is much more satisfying that switching between Stances/Attack/Dodge and performing some combo.
It's true that Nioh combat is not limited to Stances, there are tons of combos/movesets but honestly don't see a reason to learn them when the most basic strategy works in almost all cases (!?)
Yeah, I'm one of the retards which finished Sekiro without using Martial Arts because I gave up on learning combos/fatalities around the time I was playing MK2 with my friends.
The game is not for me. Unfortunately I've put 8+ hours into it therefore I cannot refund it but I'm pretty sure I will skip Nioh 2.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I prefer FromSoft combat too, some of the attacks and moves in Nioh have zero tell or windup, that's a bit too animu for my taste. Like I spent 30 mins. trying to beat fucking Muneshige with his insta-swings and insta-kill combos. Eventually I figured you're not supposed to beat him on lvl 20 but I imagine even 20 levels later this guy will be a pain in the ass.

For that reason parries are completely impractical in Nioh, they only work on slow-swinging mobs and those are usually just basic bitches so it doesn't matter. So the way combat against strong mobs or bosses works is to bait them in combos, then dash up to them, get in a swing or two and gtfo. You can't be pro-active at all or you'll get sliced up in 0,2 seconds. Not my preferred style, especially right after my 2nd playthrough of Sekiro where calculated aggression is the way to go and it's sooo much more enjoyable.

Also I don't like how poise in Nioh works. Afaik you don't have any, even in heavy armor. Plus swings are so animu fast that if you get hit by one swing of a combo you'll get stunlocked and get the full combo chain in your face.

Oh and if I could pay someone to do the inventory management for me after every mission - sell or offer or disassemble all the bloated shit you collect, forge or reforge or soul match some gear - I would. I like involved itemization but only up to a point.

These are my gripes about Nioh so far but despite all this I am having a lot of fun. I had to accept I'll never be able to do the combat properly, i.e. using the stances swap constantly, in the middle of combat, using Flux and all the related abilities. Fingers too clumsy, too stiff, too accustomed for K&M. So the higher difficulties are a no-go zone for me. But I am having fun and I'll keep playing as long as it's viable with my mediocre abilities.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I prefer FromSoft combat too, some of the attacks and moves in Nioh have zero tell or windup, that's a bit too animu for my taste. Like I spent 30 mins. trying to beat fucking Muneshige with his insta-swings and insta-kill combos. Eventually I figured you're not supposed to beat him on lvl 20 but I imagine even 20 levels later this guy will be a pain in the ass.

For that reason parries are completely impractical in Nioh, they only work on slow-swinging mobs and those are usually just basic bitches so it doesn't matter. So the way combat against strong mobs or bosses works is to bait them in combos, then dash up to them, get in a swing or two and gtfo. You can't be pro-active at all or you'll get sliced up in 0,2 seconds. Not my preferred style, especially right after my 2nd playthrough of Sekiro where calculated aggression is the way to go and it's sooo much more enjoyable.

Also I don't like how poise in Nioh works. Afaik you don't have any, even in heavy armor. Plus swings are so animu fast that if you get hit by one swing of a combo you'll get stunlocked and get the full combo chain in your face.

Oh and if I could pay someone to do the inventory management for me after every mission - sell or offer or disassemble all the bloated shit you collect, forge or reforge or soul match some gear - I would. I like involved itemization but only up to a point.

These are my gripes about Nioh so far but despite all this I am having a lot of fun. I had to accept I'll never be able to do the combat properly, i.e. using the stances swap constantly, in the middle of combat, using Flux and all the related abilities. Fingers too clumsy, too stiff, too accustomed for K&M. So the higher difficulties are a no-go zone for me. But I am having fun and I'll keep playing as long as it's viable with my mediocre abilities.

I think I found my new brother :)

Hyperion

Arcane
The stat is called Toughness. Once you hit 200, the number turns blue and literally nothing but a select few boss attacks in the game can stop you. As for the wombocombo stunlocking thing when your Toughness isn't at that threshold, stop trying to dodge out of it, and use block instead. It's not Souls, stop trying to use every tactic from those games and bitching when it doesn't work.

some of the attacks and moves in Nioh have zero tell or windup, that's a bit too animu for my taste. Like I spent 30 mins. trying to beat fucking Muneshige with his insta-swings and insta-kill combos
Git gud. The tells are there, you're just too slow.

For that reason parries are completely impractical in Nioh
Wrong. Parries dominate all non-Oni / Guardian Spirit charged humanoids, even bosses. The game is faster than Souls, thus tougher parrying. Once you get to parrying Okatsu's charge kick you'll feel differently.

You can't be pro-active at all or you'll get sliced up in 0,2 seconds
Pay more attention to their Ki Bar. Enemies are subject to pretty much the same rules as you. Once their Ki is drained, super armor goes out the window till they use their regen move (if they couldn't do that there would be 0 challenge once it was drained). Or you can make an element focused build that specializes in quickly building Discord so you cam stunlock enemies till they die.

Oh and if I could pay someone to do the inventory management for me after every mission - sell or offer or disassemble all the bloated shit you collect, forge or reforge or soul match some gear
The game lets you sell / disassemble / offer every single item of a particular rarity, every single item not equipped, or every single item except the ones you 'locked' with a single button press. You can sort by stats, item level, or rarity. You can go through most stages' selling in 30-60s.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I knew all that except the Toughness thing. I assumed it's dmg reduction.

And yeah, I should start blocking more, especially when I'm rocking heavy armor. I'll have to rebind buttons tho because the default is X-block and A-dodge which makes you neglect block in favour of dodge.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like my graphic card is shit (GTX 1060) because it cannot keep 60 fps during fights.

I've uninstalled the game and I will revisit it after I've upgraded my card.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I played this on a 1060 and it worked perfectly.

1080p or 1440p?

Wow, really? That's still a decent card all things considered.

Looks like it cannot handle 1440p. I've installed DS3 and it's the same shit.

I had a 980 Ti before and that card is +32% better than 1060. I bought this card just a temporary replacement.

I have to upgrade to 1660 Ti at least (+24% better than 1060).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom