Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Team Ninja presentation and level design are definitely inferior to FS but their combat mechanics are a lot more fun to me, and that's what gets me addicted to games. Nioh 2 is the most addictive game I've played in many years, I already have 440 hours in it and there's still many weapons left to properly try. And still gitting gud.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Presentation is the whole array of audio-visual elements
Fromsoft might do more things better but not all, animations for one...

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So what are those Twilight Missions? There's one that's about my level, 15, i think i'm gonna plunge in.

Can you nope out of missions or do you have to finish them to exit? Just did the one on the Island as a test. Didn't seem i could quit until i killed the samurai guy boss dude.

I tried Twilight Missions few times and they seemed like waste of time to me. I didn't even notice loot being any better. My favorite way to play is definitely to just progress to higher level missions as fast as possible. I only do select few side missions now too, though of course I did all of them on my first run. If I end up under leveled for missions even better. Previous time I reached highest difficulty in Nioh 2 I was 150+ lv below recommended for missions and was getting 20+ level ups per mission for a while. I love shit like that.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Twilight missions aren't worth your time until you're into NG+ cycles. Before that, anything you find in them will be eclipsed by whatever you pick up in the next main mission.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i gave the 15 level one a go.

It was ok. I liked the atmosphere but now it's the third time i basically redid the same level. Tomorrow i'll move on to the next "story" mission.

BTW, apparently there's a limit to how much shit you can carry around. A single glance at my stuff and i was reminded why i fucking hate the Diablo loot system but more specifically the type used by the more recent Diablo clones. So many items where the only difference is a percentage here or a percentage there on some effects half of which i have no idea what they even do.

There's also a crafting system apparently 'cause why there wouldn't be. Right now i see various options to get rid of gear. Sell them for gold, offer them or dissassemble them. I think i'll just google what to do with this stuff.

I don't remember if you have all the same inventory filtering options in 1 as in 2 but if yes then loot shouldn't take too long to deal with, provided you don't sperg out over insignificant shit. Just filter by level, quick glance at the gear that ends up on top of list to see if there's anything you'd want to equip then rest either sell for amrita or disassemble. In Nioh 2 once I level the chance to get rare materials when dissasembling I just do that to all the equipment I don't use. It becomes reliable source of materials for forging tools like amulets or special ammo for rifle and bow and umbracite for tempering. That's the only forging I actually use, I don't bother making armors or weapons. Just use what I get as loot and do a little tempering with special effects if some of them seem useless to my build. Only sell for Gold if I actually need to. That has happened only couple times so far.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i just noticed all the start gear from the prologue area was actually in my box.

I assume you can't get higher level version of this stuff so you can't LARP as a medieval knight in Japan lol.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I never finished Nioh 1. Does the “remastered” ps5 version change things for a better experience? Or does it just bring it to a closer parity with the PC version at high graphic settings? Looking it up leads to mixed answers, sounds like LOD is better on console now at least

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Will be grorious to see Lyric buttblasted by Warrior of the West soon.
Nah, he's a pushover and Lyric is a pro at these games.
Even a poor reflexes guy like me didn't having much trouble with him.
He'll butcher him in High Stance.
Frankly pretty much all human bosses are pushovers that can be stamina broken easily.
Honorable mention to a dojo fight with the axe sensei... one of those trainings wasn't so easy.

Considering the early levels, that vampire lady... that was fun.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

It was ok. I liked the atmosphere but now it's the third time i basically redid the same level. Tomorrow i'll move on to the next "story" mission.

BTW, apparently there's a limit to how much shit you can carry around. A single glance at my stuff and i was reminded why i fucking hate the Diablo loot system but more specifically the type used by the more recent Diablo clones. So many items where the only difference is a percentage here or a percentage there on some effects half of which i have no idea what they even do.

There's also a crafting system apparently 'cause why there wouldn't be. Right now i see various options to get rid of gear. Sell them for gold, offer them or dissassemble them. I think i'll just google what to do with this stuff.
Note that if an equipment piece has a property you really like, you might want to hang on to it - you might eventually be able to copy certain properties from one piece to another AFAIR.
Not that it matters at the beginning of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Note that if an equipment piece has a property you really like, you might want to hang on to it - you might eventually be able to copy certain properties from one piece to another AFAIR.

Ok that's annoying now. How do i know what to keep? And are good inheritables found on all rarity levels? Like, can i safely just get rid of yelow or blue items but watch the purple ones or do i have to keep an eye on ALL weapons?

[EDIT] Ok wait, do i have to look for items that have this icon, those two gray squares:

Nioh_00041.jpg

Like, if i don't see that icon i can just safely discard the item since i can't inherit anything. Is that correct?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see no armor piece has that icon. I guess i can only inherit abilities from weapons, right? So all armor i don't ned can safely go to the trashbin.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, second boss down:

Like the other guy, getting the timings was tricky but i think i'm starting to figure out how dodge works in this game. I wanted to be a show off and stick close to her body but high stance is too slow and she could just chain combo me to oblivion.

BTW, it seems i'm horribly overleveled already. All i did is try the side mission and the twilight one just to see how they worked and i'm already twice the level i'm supposed to be.

Oh, also, it seems i missed one of those little guys. Can i get him on a side mission or a twilight version of this map or do i have to redo the regular version (hope not).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Ok that's annoying now. How do i know what to keep? And are good inheritables found on all rarity levels? Like, can i safely just get rid of yelow or blue items but watch the purple ones or do i have to keep an eye on ALL weapons?

[EDIT] Ok wait, do i have to look for items that have this icon, those two gray squares:

Nioh_00041.jpg

Like, if i don't see that icon i can just safely discard the item since i can't inherit anything. Is that correct?
Think so. It's not like I remember the details after so much time :P

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
On one hand, the idea of combinding Diablo with Ninja Gaiden/Dark Souls or what have you is interesting if anything for the novelty. On the other i just hate the endless stream of useless loot, so i basically i just disassembled everything except white common items which i sold for gold. No idea if that's what you are supposed to do, but screw it.

Equipment special effect bonuses aren't that exciting mostly in NG anyway, so all I really would care about is up to date weapon damage, armor defense and Toughness - I always go for A rating as soon as I can, 200+ Toughness. 300+ later game. If you happen to get some better bonuses on equipment then cool but if not no reason to worry, as long as equipment level is up to date. Sperging out about it at this point in the game would be a waste of energy.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, just pretty much trashed everything except for the stuff i'm actually using. Screw it. A google comment says it's not worth worrying about inheritables until divines so i unloaded those on the blacksmith too.

Last game i played that had this loot system was Inquisitor Martyr and i stopped playing it because after a while i just couldn't deal with it anymore. There's just something about the newer Diablo clones that annoys me in ways the original Diablo didn't. Not sure what it is. Probably the fact it was a bit more intuitive in Diablo to gouge the worth of an item at a glance even without knowing much about the theory behind the system. Newer Diablo clones have been getting a bit more esoteric and require a lot of prior knowledge. Grim Dawn too was like this.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I did enjoy my High Break bonuses on whatever axe was my best at the time.
High Stamina reductions too, I think.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm confident i can just outskill anything in NG if it comes down to it.

I just wasn't expecting a Diablo loot system so i wasn't mentally prepared for the loot hoarding and minute theory crafting that goes with those games. For now i just wanna learn the combat and spank demons around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom