Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So no, I don't own the DLC. I'm short on money right now, but I have Playstation Now and have been downloading and playing games from that list. I just finished Nioh, but I'm not in a financial position to purchase the DLCs or Nioh 2 right now.

As for the caterpillar boss, I hated the mines, but thought the boss was fun. I really liked it when Nioh allowed me to use the environment to cheat a little bit, and I was able to use the environment to fuck up that boss in a few tries. Dropping on it with an axe allowed me to wipe out several of its segments at a time. Then I'd fuck it up some more when it regrew those segments. Easy and fun. I avoided going face-to-face with it.

Another fun bit about the environment was fighting the clones. They fucked me up twice, until I figured out that I could shoot out several of the clone vats before stepping into the room. After doing that I only had to contend with three of the clones and they came at me in a staggered formation instead of all at once. Same with the serpent fight at the end where you can use some of the crystals as cover as you take out one head at a time. The game is best when it gives you some small ways to gain an advantage.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Today I started my third and final attempt to play this game. If it doesn't happen now, I won't try again.

The first time I couldn't kill the first mission's boss. Uninstalled. The second time I struggled to reach the second boss, an old hag that kept paralyzing me. When I did, I couldn't kill her. Uninstalled. Both times I played this after finishing a From game.

So, once again I installed Nioh. My last "souls" experience was Elden Ring back in February. So, I come with a fresh mind. Things are going well during the first mission. I block, which is a first because I thought dodge was optimal and who the hell blocks with his weapon? Turns out blocking is legit. Second point is Ki pulse, I always forgot to do this and now I don't and, who would have thought, now I have stamina. Third are skills and shooting from far away which are very handy tools.

I died a couple of times but reached the boss easily. While combat is fast, it rewards patience and I like that. Anyway, after preparing myself to die some times, I kill the boss first try, was hit only once. Hmm.

Then I do the sub mission without dying even once. Nice.

Now I'm in the second mission and reached halfway without dying. I even have max elixirs because I barely use them. I stopped because I'm tired but things are looking pretty well.

I know the game will fuck me hard when it needs to, but now I'm enjoying it. Too early of course.

I don't know which weapon to pick, which armor and traits to use, even what to level up, because every skill seems fine to pick.

The thing is, it's a good game, that's why I come back to it. I'm having a good time not because I don't die, but because I get what the game expects from me and when I'm having trouble with a fight I know what I did wrong. I hope I got gud and they didn't nerf the first levels or something.

Ivan

Arcane
you will eventually come up a brick wall boss. it happens time and time again. at least that was my experience. my stubbornness pushed me through to the credits.

somerandomdude

Learned
Nioh 1 has some hard cheese you can implement to beat the content pretty comfortably. If you're just gonna beat the 1st playthrough, and not do the additional difficulties, sloth talismans will rek anything in normal mode. Regardless of your build, going a little bit into Omnyo and Ninjetsu is good just for the buffs and debuffs. Stack buffs before the boss, then debuff the boss with sloth, defense down, land 2 elemental debuffs to put discord on them, etc. Bosses resist debuffs in later difficulties, but buffs are always good. Weapon choice doesn't matter that much, because you can make a living weapon build with any type of weapon. I used spear, and never really looked back, because it worked good early on, basic bread and butter move set with good reach, I mostly used mid stance pokes, it was fairly defensive because you could block as well, and could press a reach advantage against lots of mobs and just lock them down with spear. Had good grapple moves, once you unlock some new moves, you can grapple into a finisher, very effective against humans.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
No need to cheese imo. First Nioh has 3 moments that may filter out some players:

1) Hino-enma -> get equipment with high paralyze resistance + learn to dodge well
2) Umi Bozu -> fire is your friend, make sure to explore the level completely
3) Yuki-onna -> get good :)

If those 3 are taken care of, most players should be able to finish the game.

Now DLCs are another story of course.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Ivan

Arcane
I'd advise enjoying the game and not seeking out these other strats people are handing out like candy...wtf

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just booted this on Epic breaking my sacred rule never to actually play anything on Epic. Now i feel dirty.

Still mulling over whether i should fork the 10 buckos of getting it on steam. Paid exactly that for Nioh 2 on the last Humble Choice thingy my inner Jew is kicking in.

Anyway, so apparently, in this game you play as Samurai Gerard. Tried kicking some guy in the face and he one shot me with an overhead charged attack. Had to do it over but now i'm running around in my undies with a giant broad sword in my hands.

What do? Continue and allow the Chinese to spy on me or get it on Steam?

I heard the sequel is an outright improvement maybe i can just get over the first quickly and move on to Nioh 2.

I heard the sequel is an outright improvement maybe i can just get over the first quickly and move on to Nioh 2.

Or just go straight to Nioh 2? I didn't play more than a third of NG of this before switching to Nioh 2 and really don't feel like I'm missing anything important by not finishing this first. Unless you think the story is important somehow lol.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Or just go straight to Nioh 2? I didn't play more than a third of NG of this before switching to Nioh 2 and really don't feel like I'm missing anything important by not finishing this first. Unless you think the story is important somehow lol.
Nioh 2 is superior all around but I don't regret playing N1, there are a couple of great levels and boss encounters. Worth it.

Nioh 2 is superior all around but I don't regret playing N1, there are a couple of great levels and boss encounters. Worth it.

Maybe I'll return to it one day if I feel like I've gotten my fill of Nioh 2. Don't remember exactly why I even stopped it, I think it was the gamepad crapping out. And then soon after I had to reinstall windows so I ended up never reinstalling this game. Would probably be weird to play Nioh now and not have Yokai abilities.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Maybe I'll return to it one day if I feel like I've gotten my fill of Nioh 2. Don't remember exactly why I even stopped it, I think it was the gamepad crapping out. And then soon after I had to reinstall windows so I ended up never reinstalling this game. Would probably be weird to play Nioh now and not have Yokai abilities.
Yeah you have living weapon but Nioh 2 is way better in this regard. Actually not sure how N1 would feel if I played N2 first but playing them in the correct order I really enjoyed the first game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The first is still a lengthy game, don't rush it
The sequel is more complex and varied, but it's also much more demanding and faster paced
So it is better you start off with 1 before moving on to 2 - specially as 1's combat already asks more commitment from the player than even From's soulborne's and it is also closer in speed to those games

So it is better you start off with 1 before moving on to 2 - specially as 1's combat already asks more commitment from the player than even From's soulborne's and it is also closer in speed to those games

I had no problem getting into 2 without finishing 1 and he seems to be better at these games than me, so I doubt he would have much issue as well. And there are a lot of people online claiming that 2 is actually easier than 1.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I had no problem getting into 2 without finishing 1
Ok, but you still played 1 alot before moving on to 2 right?
If he goes immediately to 2, he's going to get bogged down in all the shit he has to learn right from the start, because 2 was made for people that played 1 and wanted greater challenges and variety of options
And there are a lot of people online claiming that 2 is actually easier than 1.
Fucking hell, how?

I had no problem getting into 2 without finishing 1
Ok, but you still played 1 alot before moving on to 2 right?
If he goes immediately to 2, he's going to get bogged down in all the shit he has to learn right from the start, because 2 was made for people that played 1 and wanted greater challenges and variety of options

Well I am not sure how long I played it but I doubt I reached even halfway point of first NG cycle. I remember killing Umi-Bozu and not getting much further after that.

And there are a lot of people online claiming that 2 is actually easier than 1.
Fucking hell, how?

Obviously I cannot say for sure because my knowledge of 1 isn't anywhere near as good as that of second game. One of the things that come to mind though is burst counters. After I get the shiftling tree skills that make burst counters refill Ki and heal when performed at low health they become a fairly reliable comeback mechanic to me that can make me go from being almost dead to destroying the enemy. Also that heal on Yokai grapple skill too, because when burst counter breaks enemy posture I can immediately press strong attack to Yokai grapple and heal myself up. Then there's the fact that no bosses in 2 were anywhere near as hard as Hino-Enma from 1 was, I spent fucking days on that bitch. I beat a lot of bosses in 2 in 1-2 tries even on my first run, and even hardest ones were nowhere near as hard as Hino-Enma. So I guess I can assume there were more bosses that were equally tough as she, I just didn't reach them. Plus I guess just having more options in combat in helps, like Yokai abilities. I love "Life Drain (Yokai Ability Hit)" bonus, for example. Combine it with ability that hits a lot of enemies at once and you have insane healing potential. Like Ryomen Sukuna spin, that shit is godlike when combined with AA life drain bonus from Kasha soul core. In general having more options = more flexibility in combat. Yeah learning to juggle all these options might make for a higher mechanical challenge at first but once that shit becomes muscle memory then I can see how it makes for easier game.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i'm a completist autist so i think i'm gonna for Nioh 1. Only thing that was stopping me is that i didn't want to play it on Epic but fuck it. It seems Epic can't connect to Steam players (while Steam can connect to Epic) but it seems the only multiplayer you get here is co-op and i don't care about that.

So i played a bit around the starting area. Why does this game have Grim Dawn itemization?

[EDIT] Erm, i just quit the game for a second to post this and upon reloading seems i lost my progress. Guess the only way to save is that pray altar thing.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fucking hell, how?

Point of comparison. If you jumped into Nioh at release, the easiest comparison was Dark Souls 3 and Nioh is much more difficult. Nioh 2 can be compared to its predecessor and it's easier to set expectations.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, itemization is... I prefer the Souls.
Still, the game is mad fun.
Glad you've started with 1.

The Yokai abilities in 2 are a step too far for me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why does this game have Grim Dawn itemization?
Itemization is Diablo like with upgrades, not really like Souls games in anyway on that front. Also farming levels/maps is a thing like Diablo again and it got higher difficulty tiers like it.

Oh, that's a new one. But how does this loot system work in a skill based game? Seems like an odd match.

Why does this game have Grim Dawn itemization?
Itemization is Diablo like with upgrades, not really like Souls games in anyway on that front. Also farming levels/maps is a thing like Diablo again and it got higher difficulty tiers like it.

I keep seeing people say this shit about farming but I don't get it. At least from my Nioh 2 experience I am fine just progressing missions and using whatever I pick up along the way. Plus higher level missions = better loot so why would anybody stop progress to farm shit? Seems like best way is just to progress as fast as possible.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom