Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Skdursh

Savant
Edit: Turns out there is already a thread about this game on the forum, though I swear I checked the search for "Prometheus" first before posting this and nothing came up.

Potentially interesting turn-based RPG Indie project with a semi-modern setting (description says the setting is "post-technology", taking place after some sort of global catastrophe). Seems to be the work of a sole dev, but I can't say for sure, it's possible there may be a few others. Recently got an updated demo which I haven't personally played yet, but it looks like it's been progressing enough to be worth sharing.

LINK ---> Prometheus Wept <--- LINK
DragDocks4.png

Dialogue.png

WolfHunt.jpg

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Potentially interesting turn-based RPG Indie project with a semi-modern setting (description says the setting is "post-technology", taking place after some sort of global catastrophe). Seems to be the work of a sole dev, but I can't say for sure, it's possible there may be a few others. Recently got an updated demo which I haven't personally played yet, but it looks like it's been progressing enough to be worth sharing.

LINK ---> Prometheus Wept <--- LINK
DragDocks4.png

Dialogue.png

WolfHunt.jpg
This is a game by resident Timeslip who also made Vigilantes

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/prometheus-wept-turn-based-rpg-from-vigilantes-developer.132804/

Skdursh

Savant
I checked the search for "Prometheus" before posting this and nothing came up
The thread is on the first page of results whether you search for "Prometheus" or "Prometheus Wept".
I'm aware of that. I'm saying when I searched the first time literally no results turned up leading me to believe it had not ever been mentioned. Not a "first page", not nothing. I'm guessing it was an error of some sort.

Risewild

Savant
"Erannorth Reborn" and "Erannorth Chronicles" are two obscure indie games that are quite fun.

Reborn was the first game from the developer Spyridon Thalassinos. It's a Roguelike Deckbuilder game with interesting character creation and a RPG system. It's more focused on a Gauntlet type of playstyle.

Chronicles is the sequel (and kinda like a remake) of Reborn. This time the game's engine and systems had several years of upgrades/updates. The game is now more focused on a sandbox world map with quests, hideouts/player home, exploration, etc. It's not much of a roguelike anymore, but it's more RPG. There's still a gauntlet mode for those that enjoy that type of game style too. It's a much bigger game, with thousands of more cards, many new races and classes (each with several subraces and subclasses too), more organizations, more in-depth character creation, more enemies, more enemy actions, better art, more modding capabilities, way more QoL improvements, etc.

I haven't really touched Reborn since before Chronicles was released (since I was lucky enough to have access to the game before the release) except to update some mods I made for Reborn. Although I pretty much 100% Reborn before that, and I am not a completionist or care for 100% games, I just couldn't put that game down.
But I do prefer Chronicles. I prefer sandbox map to gauntlet style, the game is way more polished, has more modding capabilities, has way more content than Reborn with all its DLCs, and the developer keeps adding more stuff in free official updates and free mods all the time.

For a one-man development studio, these games are hidden gems. Definitely worth the full price for those that enjoy sandbox, deckbuilding RPGs.

Late Bloomer

Educated
"Erannorth Reborn" and "Erannorth Chronicles" are two obscure indie games that are quite fun.

Reborn was the first game from the developer Spyridon Thalassinos. It's a Roguelike Deckbuilder game with interesting character creation and a RPG system. It's more focused on a Gauntlet type of playstyle.

Chronicles is the sequel (and kinda like a remake) of Reborn. This time the game's engine and systems had several years of upgrades/updates. The game is now more focused on a sandbox world map with quests, hideouts/player home, exploration, etc. It's not much of a roguelike anymore, but it's more RPG. There's still a gauntlet mode for those that enjoy that type of game style too. It's a much bigger game, with thousands of more cards, many new races and classes (each with several subraces and subclasses too), more organizations, more in-depth character creation, more enemies, more enemy actions, better art, more modding capabilities, way more QoL improvements, etc.

I haven't really touched Reborn since before Chronicles was released (since I was lucky enough to have access to the game before the release) except to update some mods I made for Reborn. Although I pretty much 100% Reborn before that, and I am not a completionist or care for 100% games, I just couldn't put that game down.
But I do prefer Chronicles. I prefer sandbox map to gauntlet style, the game is way more polished, has more modding capabilities, has way more content than Reborn with all its DLCs, and the developer keeps adding more stuff in free official updates and free mods all the time.

For a one-man development studio, these games are hidden gems. Definitely worth the full price for those that enjoy sandbox, deckbuilding RPGs.

In Chronicles, do the Leyline Affinty and Leyline Aversions become irritating? Besides some of the unappealing artwork on some of the characters its the only reservation I have.

Risewild

Savant
In Chronicles, do the Leyline Affinty and Leyline Aversions become irritating? Besides some of the unappealing artwork on some of the characters its the only reservation I have.
They can if you rely too much on one element. On the other hand, if it's an affinity, then your one element is more powerful.
Although, the game is supposed to be played in a way where you shouldn't be a one-trick pony (or at least until you have learned a lot about how the game works). It also allows you to make and have several decks that you can switch at any time, so you can have decks with a different focus and change them depending on what enemies or areas you're dealing with.

But the game is very customizable, it has plenty of options to make "custom modes" and you can disable Leyline effects in any of those.

Top Bottom