Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Dycedarg

Learned
I'm going to do a 4 hour long talk about nail clipping in rpgs. Topics include sharpening tools, finger damage, skin care, nail biting, hand hygiene and whatever else I can think of.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well it'll accomplish more than whatever drivel that asswipe would discuss. The guy has had multiple times and ways of creating this, and surprise surprise he can't create a good system.

I mean fuck. Why does he need to recreate the god damned wheel every fucking time.

Can't he just realize there's no perfect system that's gonna satisfy his shit and just work with something?

What was wrong with FONV system? It did armor class and dr pretty well I think. He'll, adapt the original fallout and fallout 2 systems a bit and change things up.

You don't need to be autistic about it. Just build something that seems to work on paper, design a few encounters around it, and change stuff.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FNV systems weren't great, TBH. I mean that was basically modded F3 foundation, how much can you expect?

DT/DR/crits worked so much better in the old Fallouts... in general their systems were far superior.

Codex Year of the Donut
plenty of ttrpgs that have far better systems than basically anything you'll find in crpgs and would lend themselves well to the benefit computers have over tabletop
rpg devs seem to be allergic to anything that isn't D&D though, so here we are.

Latelistener

Arcane
I mean fuck. Why does he need to recreate the god damned wheel every fucking time.
Technically we can do a lot more complex than FNV, starting with different armor pieces protecting different body parts unequally.

I think Fallout 3 and FNV armor systems can only differentiate between head and torso.

I did enjoyed FNV systems, especially the added wear threshold. In FO3 armor and weapons simply melted in your hands like ice cream.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DT/DR/crits worked so much better in the old Fallouts... in general their systems were far superior.

The system where the best armor would make you nigh-invincible to anything except an unlucky crit that would take you from full health to instantly dead? Where armor piercing ammo either did nothing (Fallout 1) or the "fixed" version, revealing that the damage formula they came up with made them inferior to non-armor piercing ammo? That system? :roll:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, that system. I like that heavy (power) armor actually has impact.
I fail to see how adjusting the Armor Piercing rounds work would be a big deal.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't believe people are honestly defending Fallout's crit-tag. That's pure cargo cult mentality. If you want to see power armour done right, play Silent Storm Sentinels. Same high DT, but with actual tools in play to handle it beyond gambling for instakills.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, that system. I like that heavy (power) armor actually has impact.

It's not like New Vegas power armor doesn't allow you to tank a lot of hits.

I fail to see how adjusting the Armor Piercing rounds work would be a big deal.

Yeah, well Interplay couldn't be bothered to do it. They did make a new AP ammo type for the needler which simply just did more damage, making it a superior ammo choice regardless of what you were fighting. Pretty lousy system designers if it takes a guy like Sawyer to think up of "What if they just did slightly less damage and subtracted a lot of DT?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sounds like Sawyer's true calling was writing weapon descriptions for Icewind Dale and he should avoid all other kinds of game writing.

Quillon

Arcane
last time he said "this game's pretty great" during late development playtests, it became a commercial failure :D

but I guess its no concern now with MS/gamepass...

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This is just so sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom