Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
hes kind of rite if u rely think about it

Fairfax

Arcane
There's Paradox, but I don't know what we could expect from that partnership.
Yeah, and when their partnership was announced and we had those interviews it really looked like they were working and getting to know each other for the first time. The deal was announced in March 2014, but this project began in January 2014.

I love reading this thread.

Next time I stream, if I ever do again, I should post here and then you guys/girls/trannies can come ask me questions.
That would be something, eh? Didn't know Obsidian devs posted here, btw.

Fairfax

Arcane
Can't edit my post, but I meant Bandai Namco has never published a western RPG ever since the two companies merged in 2006.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Another twitter account by a QA lead Alex Scokel

https://twitter.com/likeares

SJW (To be fair not at all obsessivly) and ME3 ending defender to the point where it changed his life

https://othertongues.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-changed-my-life/
I probably would have ended up cutting that last sentence and anything that grew out of it – I was starting to wander off-topic. What I’d intended to talk about was how the final moments of Mass Effect 3 (the original ending, not the extended), drove home what I felt was a central aspect of the choices you made over the course of the trilogy – they’re further reaching than you can know. Ken Levine has spoken about how in Infinite, he’s less interested in how players’ choices change the game story and more interested in the moment of choice itself. I think Mass Effect is equally interested in this and that the ending of the trilogy drives home the idea that you are the culmination of your actions. Your experience is all you have. What happens next, that’s out of your hands. And so when I finished the game, I was heartbroken for those Shepard left behind, but I was glad that I’d had the experience, and confident that I’d done the best I could.

:troll:

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
That would be something, eh? Didn't know Obsidian devs posted here, btw.

I know of a few Obsidian devs that read the Codex. I read it sporadically myself. Anthony is by far the most avid poster, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know of a few Obsidian devs that read the Codex. I read it sporadically myself. Anthony is by far the most avid poster, though.

Hey Brandon. Have you guys arranged with Larian to give The White March a shoutout when their Kickstarter launches a day after its release? :cool:

Last edited:

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Hey Brandon. Have guys arranged with Larian to give The White March a shoutout when their Kickstarter launches a day after its release? :cool:

Nope. We haven't had any talks with Larian. Or, at least I haven't. It is possible that Feargus has contact with them.

Fairfax

Arcane
Nice. Also, any news on the modtool for PoE? I'm looking forward to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feargus said something about Obsidian's next crowdfunded game in an interview about Fig: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-schafer-on-board.102204/page-5#post-4081770

GamesBeat: Feargus, we know we’ll see some sort of Obsidian games on here. Is this going to be what people would expect from an Obsidian game, an RPG sort of experience?

Urquhart: We can probably say it’s going to be an RPG. [Laughs] Obviously we like certain genres and setting. It wouldn’t be for our first one, but there’s definitely a setting we’d love to return to and make an awesome game in. That’s something we’ve been talking about a lot lately.

...Star Wars?

More stuff:

Urquhart: For our next games, absolutely [we won’t use Kickstarter]. But to be clear, we just worked with another company to do a board game. We did thePillars of Eternity card game. That would still be something we’d use other crowdfunding sites to do, just because it’s not what we do, but it’s connected. I don’t want to say we would never do anything affiliated with any of the other crowdfunding outlets. But for games, this is why we’re getting together to do this together. And I’ll say together once more.

Urquhart: To answer the why of it, it’s not just about how to be different from an Indiegogo or Kickstarter or things like that. It’s about having things keep on moving forward from 2012, when there was that huge boom in crowdfunding for video games. That changed our company immeasurably. We have our own brand now. We get to make Eternity games now, so long as we make good ones. That’s awesome. Allowing game-makers to have that opportunity is great.

Now, the difference is, what can we do from there? That’s what Fig does. That’s the connection. It’s not just crowdfunding. If we want to make bigger stuff, if we want to involve people even more in what we’re doing, this takes crowdfunding to a point where people can fund $50,000 games, or $2 million games, or $5 million games. Hopefully we can even get to $10 million and $15 million games. That’s great for the independent game development scene, allowing that. That’s what the difference is. It’s about why we want to do it.

Urquhart: I get asked a lot about how publishers have responded to us doing crowdfunding. Unfortunately some of the funniest stories I probably can’t tell you. But the thing is — if I had to guess, they watch it, but it’s not — take Activision and Call of Duty. One, they can fund it themselves and it’s $100 million they’re spending a year, I’m guessing. It’s just not a part of their world. We’re talking about the next Star Wars movie relative to something like Clerks. They’re in totally different worlds.

But because, as you see studios like us, the studios that have been successful, even in comparison to something like Gearbox — they haven’t done crowdfunding. Because of Borderlands, they have a firm base like the rest of us. That changes the conversation when we’re talking to publishers. We have our own brand, more of our own brands. We’re a little bit more financially secure. And so I think it’s changing the conversation between the bigger independent developers and publishers. I think they like it.

What’s interesting, I think, is that if you look at more of the boutique publishers — sometimes I don’t know if they like to be referred to that way, but if you look at something like Deep Silver or Paradox or 505, for them, that changes it a lot, because it all depends on how much we want to do the publishing of our own games. It can create these interesting partnerships, like we did with Paradox and inXile did with Koch for physical distribution of Wasteland 2. That’s where it’s changing in particular.

What’s great for us is that we can also look at it like, what can we do with Eternity now? How big could we take Eternity now that we have it and it’s ours? What I mean by that is, you’ll start seeing larger ripples in the impact on the larger publishers. Not this year, but in years to come.

I've made the Gearbox<>Obsidian comparison before.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Kickstarting the funding of their outsourced game does sound like something up Bethesda's alley.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Alpha Protocol without Avellone would be "What's the point?" for a lot of people.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alpha Protocol without Avellone would be "What's the point?" for a lot of people.

Same for Star Wars.

It would be pretty ironic for them to finally do a new Star Wars RPG precisely when Avellone has just left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom