Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But i bet the "colonists" (humans) are going to be evil and racist, while the colonized (non-humans) are going to be noble and pure. Mind you though, there's not going to be any politics in this game, no sir. :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But i bet the "colonists" (humans) are going to be evil and racist, while the colonized (non-humans) are going to be noble and pure. Mind you though, there's not going to be any politics in this game, no sir. :troll:

Actually, no. The colonizing culture consists of all three races, mostly humans and elves. Read the fucking lore.

Aedyr - People from the expansive Aedyr Empire and its former colonies, Dyrwood and Readceras. Aedyr literally translates as "Many Deer", but means "People of the Deer", referring to a 2,500 year-old tribe that became a kingdom 600 years ago. It merged with the elven kingdom of Kulklin in 2399 AI. Among the Aedyr, there is no significant cultural divide between humans and elves. Because of their close contact and integration in spite of physiological differences (such as longer elven lifespans), their culture and legal system have developed a variety of unique concepts such as the haemneg, or ceremonial marriage. Ethnic Aedyr (mostly humans and elves) have fair skin and a variety of hair and eye colors, with blue and green being common. Among other cultures, Aedyr clothing is known for being relatively simple in construction and often using large, colorful striped or checkered patterns for accents.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But i bet the "colonists" (humans) are going to be evil and racist, while the colonized (non-humans) are going to be noble and pure.

And, if i may ask, from where did you pull that marvelous insight (other than your ass, i mean) ? :lol:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually, no. The colonizing culture consists of all three races, mostly humans and elves. Read the fucking lore.

Aedyr - People from the expansive Aedyr Empire and its former colonies, Dyrwood and Readceras. Aedyr literally translates as "Many Deer", but means "People of the Deer", referring to a 2,500 year-old tribe that became a kingdom 600 years ago. It merged with the elven kingdom of Kulklin in 2399 AI. Among the Aedyr, there is no significant cultural divide between humans and elves. Because of their close contact and integration in spite of physiological differences (such as longer elven lifespans), their culture and legal system have developed a variety of unique concepts such as the haemneg, or ceremonial marriage. Ethnic Aedyr (mostly humans and elves) have fair skin and a variety of hair and eye colors, with blue and green being common. Among other cultures, Aedyr clothing is known for being relatively simple in construction and often using large, colorful striped or checkered patterns for accents.

MULTI KULTI DECLINE.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MULTI KULTI DECLINE.

True dat. You just can't win against librulism. More:

Dyrwood, Free Palatinate of - The independent nation that was formerly a colony and later a large, remote duchy of the Aedyr Empire. Led by their duke, Admeth Hadret, the people successfully fought for their independence over an excessively burdensome campaign to colonize the dangerous ruins of Eír Glanfath. Despite the fact that they are no longer, properly speaking, a palatinate (nor a duchy), the people of Dyrwood continue to refer to their home as a "Free Palatinate" out of pride. Most residents of the Dyrwood are Aedyr humans, elves, and dwarves, but many are also culturally integrated orlans or children of Glanfathan elves. Despite having fought a war with the Aedyr Empire in the past, they are now trading partners and have maintained few grudges. Their one continued point of contention is exploration and colonization of Eír Glanfath, which Aedyr continues to push through official and unofficial means.

And the following suggests that the Aedyran elves are actually the most :obviously: part of their nation, speaking the archaic form of their language (equivalent of Latin?)

Hylspeak - An old dialect of Aedyran only spoken by rural communities and older elves in the Aedyre heartlands. It is grammatically almost identical to Aedyran, but contains a large number of archaic words that have either disappeared from contemporary use or taken new forms over time. Speakers of contemporary Aedyran can understand Hylspeak, but it can sometimes be confusing. Hylspeak is only commonly heard in folk songs and poems that have survived over the centuries. Some people associate the spontaneous speaking of Hylspeak with an awakened soul. As a result, superstitious folk are easily angered when they hear it spoken, believing it may cause their soul to remember a past life.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was just making a joke. The guys at Obsidian have never been particularly political (even back in the Black Isle days) so i doubt they are going to start now.

Dexter

Arcane
This is so fucking stupid - you aren't a savvy consumer for doing this, you're just someone who spends way too much time thinking about this shit. It all comes down to this for the majority of the Kickstarters we've seen: do you miss good RPG's? Do you want to take a chance on Obsidian/Brian Fargo making another good RPG? If you are willing to take that leap of faith (and that's what these projects are, a leap of faith), then pledge money. I was willing to trust Obsidian, so I pledged $20 bucks because I'm poor and I didn't really think on it further.

And if you aren't willing to pledge, that's cool too, but how the fuck could you possibly waste so much mental energy thinking it over this long? Same with Wasteland 2, either you like the idea and you pledge or you don't. I don't see how there's anything more to think about here.

There's also the amount to think about :P

Personally I pledged the Minimum, which is 20 dorrahs the moment it came out and didn't feel the need to retract it at any point, and since then I'm waiting to hear something that persuades me to put down more than that, at this point with the info we got and the screenshot I'd be willing to at least go for the physical box if there wasn't the concern that Sawyer and in larger Obsidian would turn it into feminist propaganda, wish he would sound less like Roguey and more like a normal person xD

Now you faggots know why I defended the honor of 2D/hand-painted/pre-rendered games so valiantly over here over the retarded "we wunt 3D!!!" masses:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/heresy-there-is-no-reason-to-expect-a-2d-isometric-engine-again.76197/
You can simply put ANYTHING you can, pre-rendered or painted at any level of detail and even "touch it up" with Photoshop (which is actually part of the process/design to producing an actual background and not a marketing gimmick to make screenshots look better as with 3D games), fuck the idiots not realizing this and calling it "concept art". An artwork created can almost directly be translated to an in-game "image" this way instead of having to worry about polycount, shaders, amount of objects and low performance machines. The concept of what is "artwork" and what is "in-game" loses all meaning when you can pre-render a scene, then load it in photoshop and paint a bush and a few trees over it, then touch it up somewhat with other stuff and then load effects in engine over it. You could take an imagine of your cratery face, 3d-ify it a bit to create some depth for those craters and make a game background out of it.

3D vs 2D game in 2014, same engine:

JroxW.jpg

PE-TempleEntrance01-1920x1080.jpg

Here's an article about how they made the environment maps in Icewind Dale: http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/features/wonder/wonder022200/index.shtml

The designers and artists discuss the overall goal for the area, and what the art feel is going to be.
The concept artist gets a map from the designer as well as a written description and does a concept in pencil.
If necessary, the pencil concept will be taken a step further with colors after approval, as in this case.
The modeler takes the concept and builds the model, the sample of a finished one being the wireframe.
The model is then passed to a texture artist who works in tandem with a 2D artist to texture the level.
In the case of Kuldahar, the lighting was then applied by the texture artist.

KuldaharConceptPencil.jpg

KuldaharConceptFinal.jpg

KuldaharWireframe.jpg

icewind-dale-wyrms-tooth.jpg

Also VOTS turned full retard last few pages.

It is certainly refreshing to have someone take their historical inspiration from actual history and not Ivanhoe.

In a fantasy game with elves and dragons and dwarves and magic and shit...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have these things Sawyer says about the screenshot been posted here already?

JS said:
It's at a more "Fallout" angle than Icewind Dale/BG angle, but also it's an orthographic projection, which may be what you're getting at.

Yeah, though really it's extraordinarily rare for a game to be "truly" isometric even when it's orthographic. This is a trimetric projection, like Fallout.* When we looked at the IWD angle, even that wasn't purely isometric, though it was closer.

*Some folks have called this cavalier oblique in the past but oblique projections have one plane parallel to the camera. Fallout doesn't.

I can almost guarantee that the orthographic projection is a big part of it. All structural elements in the shot were built out in a 3D scene, so it's not a matter of our 2D artists drawing in something new to throw off the perspective. When viewed as a "real" 3D scene instead of a projection, it's much easier to understand the spatial relationship of things.

When you look at this screenshot of Diablo 3, it's easy to understand the scale and perspective of things because you're actually seeing structures and characters rendered in "real" 3D instead of an orthographic projection.

We're trying out various animation solutions for the waterfall, spray, and the pool/river. They will definitely be animated, but we want to leave our options open to support a wide range of hardware without making the area art files even larger.

Starting from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=195#post408444856

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah, there was actually a giant debate about it with analysis of screenshots from various games -- even superimposed grids to compare angles. You should probably read the thread. :thumbsup:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I was just making a joke. The guys at Obsidian have never been particularly political (even back in the Black Isle days) so i doubt they are going to start now.

Well, they are pretty political. They just don't say *You have to think like us!*. There are lots of political topics in BI/Obs games. It's just up to you how to approach them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't want to go into a W2 vs PE debate (since I love both of them), but I also noticed that W2 looks bad compared to PE. Of course I'm judgeing them based on 2 screenshots, this might change later. This is why prerendered 3D (2D) > full 3D.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Yeah, there was actually a giant debate about it with analysis of screenshots from various games -- even superimposed grids to compare angles. You should probably read the thread. :thumbsup:

There was a debate, but those Sawyer quotes had in fact not been posted yet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But i bet the "colonists" (humans) are going to be evil and racist, while the colonized (non-humans) are going to be noble and pure.

And, if i may ask, from where did you pull that marvelous insight (other than your ass, i mean) ? :lol:

The Witcher did it like that. All the human characters were evil and despicable, while the non-humans were driven to evil acts only out of desperation or revenge. Of the three choices you have in the game, siding with humans was obviously the evil one. And when the subject of race came up in the game (Gerard being human and all), they claimed that a witcher was now "raceless" due to his chemical mutations, which was quite the weak cop out. The game was supposed to be deep and mature and came out as utterly childish and one sided.

Other examples supposedly include Skyrim, where siding with the Nord nationalists was the "evil" choice, but since i never played the game, i wouldn't know that.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Apart from the fact that what you say is highly questionable, I wouldn't compare The Witcher's writing with the work of Obsidian. Way too different.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
All the human characters were evil and despicable,.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Other examples supposedly include Skyrim, where siding with the Nord nationalists was the "evil" choice, but since i never played the game, i wouldn't know that.
I haven't played it either, but from what I've heard the most evil people in Skyrim are a group of High Elves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom