Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Dexter

Arcane
Josh Sawyer certainly is.

I mean in their games. I don't recall many instances where you were beaten in the head with politics, not in the way the Witcher did, or the way Biowhore tried to do with their whole homo-faggot shtick (that went down well, did it). Certain nods to political correctness are so ingrained now (like putting women in typical "masculine" roles) that you can just expect them as a matter of course, that doesn't mean one is trying to be overtly political or ideological.
Is including homosexual companions an intrusive political commentary?
Every single person you meet in any game could be gay as long as not expressively stated otherwise, your entire party in Icewind Dale could be a band of merry gays killing gay orcs and gay undead soldiers. It's when you make a big deal out of it e.g. the character goes around the world going "Look at me, I love sexing up other people's behinds" and there's character choices and plotlines based on that driving the point in with a sledgehammer when you bring politics into it, which Biowhore did as he said, repeatedly and over and over.

Regarding Sawyer, someone linked this over on the Obsidian forums at some point: http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/156947574/

And comparing this game to Fallout, Alpha Brotocol or even Dungeon Siege doesn't exactly take, they had publisher influence on that one allowing things like this to exist:
dungeon-siege-3-release-date-delay.jpg

tumblr_lmjlf8L5WR1qd6se7o1_500.jpg

KickStarter gives Mr "gamer misogyny!!!" carte blanche.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

I mean in their games. I don't recall many instances where you were beaten in the head with politics, not in the way the Witcher did, or the way Biowhore tried to do with their whole homo-faggot shtick (that went down well, did it). Certain nods to political correctness are so ingrained now (like putting women in typical "masculine" roles) that you can just expect them as a matter of course, that doesn't mean one is trying to be overtly political or ideological.

Obviously. What else?
Acknowledgment of reality?

By your argument, why not also include pedophile companions as well? Or companions suffering from cerebral palsy? Hey, its reality.

If one in ten people worldwide would be a paedophile or have cerebral palsy then yes, they should be included.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm not sure we should be enlightening Lyric Suite about the nature of Obsidian's politics. Let him remain blissfully ignorant.

Contrary to popular belief, i don't mind opposing political views, within a reasonable level. What i do mind is stupidity, all the more when its laden with black and white political condescension.

And speaking of Obsidian in particular, i just don't get the same juvenile vibe from them that i do with Bioshit or any other developer. Even if they were to indulge in heavy political lopsidedness, i still trust them not to be so petty about it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If one in ten people worldwide would be a paedophile or have cerebral palsy then yes, they should be included.

Faggots are not one in ten people, either.

Shit argument nonetheless. If pedophiles were one in two people, they still should not be included.

asper

Arcane
Rapists and mass murderers are in games, so I don't see what excludes paedophiles exactly. Or do you have a rule in your strange head that games shouldn't include negative aspects of reality? It's funny seeing you deride "black and white political condescension", while you yourself are a proud proponent of this, with all of your unverifiable, baseless, grounded in fantasy, ridiculous opinions, which you never hesitate to bluntly state as heavenly truth...

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Every single person you meet in any game could be gay as long as not expressively stated otherwise, your entire party in Icewind Dale could be a band of merry gays killing gay orcs and gay undead soldiers. It's when you make a big deal out of it e.g. the character goes around the world going "Look at me, I love sexing up other people's behinds" and there's character choices and plotlines based on that driving the point in with a sledgehammer when you bring politics into it, which Biowhore did as he said, repeatedly and over and over.

Regarding Sawyer, someone linked this over on the Obsidian forums at some point: http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/156947574/

And comparing this game to Fallout, Alpha Brotocol or even Dungeon Siege doesn't exactly take, they had publisher influence on that one allowing things like this to exist:
dungeon-siege-3-release-date-delay.jpg

tumblr_lmjlf8L5WR1qd6se7o1_500.jpg

KickStarter gives Mr "gamer misogyny!!!" carte blanche.

Boobs.
What's the name of the game? I want to aquire it.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
No, i didn't play New Vegas. That's besides the point though, because what we are talking about here is the developer's own political preference seeping into the game, not whether the game was "political", in a general sense.
it actually was pretty one sided and sometimes bordered on propaganda. the NCR is for the most part the "best" faction to side with. they have the most quests, rewards and generally are pictured as the "good guys". they try to downplay them a bit by showing a little bit of corruption and hinting at incompetence and other questionable things like borderline genocide(khans), but if you compare that to the way the legion is portrayed (bunch of slaver rapists that crucify people for the most trivial crap) i can't help but feel that very special tingling in my "this is bullshit"-sensing tissue in my brain. josh said that this was because they didn't have enough time to flesh out the legion, but little things like ncr elite units that swarm with women, the genocide being downplayed to a communication fuck up and a bunch of other crap actually makes me doubt the planned content involved more than just adding a bunch of "playername, enslave this town or the glory of the legion" type quests and a few more slaver NPCs.

hell, the first time you meet legion npcs, they just finished crucify- and enslaving an entire town, and then this foxhat asshole shows up and explains to you how awesome it is purifying things with nails and fire.

all in all it may not be on the level that is is detracting from the game, but the modern liberal retardation is there.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I wonder if Tim Cain is gonna make this game all gay too...

Just because he's gay, he feels like he has to convert us or some shit.

Dexter

Arcane
Boobs.
What's the name of the game? I want to aquire it.
It's Dungeon Siege III, by Obsidian, their last game xD

It's not very good though, kind of a bland ARPG with extreme consolitis and camera issues, could only get through like 7 hours on it in CoOp and didn't continue after that :P

Imo their worst game so far, nothing to do with boobs though, but with game design, I don't think they can into ARPGs.

allowoup.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Or do you have a rule in your strange head that games shouldn't include negative aspects of reality?

Yes, its called good taste. :hmmm:

A lot of weird shit happens in the world. But the fact it does happen doesn't give it any form of legitimacy in the slightest.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Just saw this in the George Ziets thread

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...llion-stretch-goal/page__st__280#entry1235081

Don't confuse my passion for the success of this project for trolling. I want the best for P:E. I want Planescape Torment. I want Icewind Dale. I want Baldurs Gate.

NWN2 was not successful. It barely even launched, never mind on time. To say that it was a hit because it had expansions is a fallacy. I can name any number of movies and games that got undeserved sequels or expansions despite having a lackluster reception.

Again, not successful: LOTRO. You know what MMORPG's do when they start failing miserably? They go free to play where they slowly become forgotten and irrelevant. Do you want me to entertain you with some examples?

Speaking of not launching, anyone who does a moderate amount of digging can find why Ziets left Obsidian.

We might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie and Nickleback do the score if Ziets is joining the team. They're successful right? They must be great!

:hmmm:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wonder if Tim Cain is gonna make this game all gay too...

Just because he's gay, he feels like he has to convert us or some shit.

I think Tim Cain, being the smart man that he is, probably feels like the Codex on this particular subject. That is, romances are just totally gay and should not be included in the first place. :troll:

asper

Arcane
Or do you have a rule in your strange head that games shouldn't include negative aspects of reality?

Yes, its called good taste. :hmmm:

A lot of weird shit happens in the world. But the fact it does happen doesn't give it any form of legitimacy in the slightest.

Including something in a game does not immediately mean giving it "legitimacy", for fuck's sake. Only fairyland fantasies qualify then? Is that how you approach literature and other art as well? You are complaing about others including issues in games, but actually you are the one that sees games, and everything else, purely as moral or political statements.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just saw this in the George Ziets thread

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...llion-stretch-goal/page__st__280#entry1235081

Don't confuse my passion for the success of this project for trolling. I want the best for P:E. I want Planescape Torment. I want Icewind Dale. I want Baldurs Gate.

NWN2 was not successful. It barely even launched, never mind on time. To say that it was a hit because it had expansions is a fallacy. I can name any number of movies and games that got undeserved sequels or expansions despite having a lackluster reception.

Again, not successful: LOTRO. You know what MMORPG's do when they start failing miserably? They go free to play where they slowly become forgotten and irrelevant. Do you want me to entertain you with some examples?

Speaking of not launching, anyone who does a moderate amount of digging can find why Ziets left Obsidian.

We might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie and Nickleback do the score if Ziets is joining the team. They're successful right? They must be great!

:hmmm:

Notice how he contradicts himself, first saying Ziets is a failure because NWN2 was not successful (an unsuccessful game that got two expansion packs, lol) and then doubling back and saying that Ziets IS successful (as successful as Michael Bay, even!)

Obvious troll is obvious.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Including something in a game does not immediately mean giving it "legitimacy", for fuck's sake.

That's not what i said.

Why not include a companion that likes to eat feces and get pissed on? Hey, it happens in real life, so why not put it in the game?

asper

Arcane
Including something in a game does not immediately mean giving it "legitimacy", for fuck's sake.

That's not what i said.

It is exactly what you said, and you are repeating it again in this post, and your next one. You think art should only contain and be about acceptable things.

That's not what i said.

Why not include a companion that likes to eat feces and get pissed on? Hey, it happens in real life, so why not put it in the game?

I imagine your answer is that he shouldn't be included because eating excrement is disgusting?

Do you really have no imagination? There are games in which such a companion would be very fitting, for example the surreal horrors made by Frictional, that at some points do invoke disgust.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You are complaing about others including issues in games, but actually you are the one that sees games, and everything else, purely as moral or political statements.

That's because art and morality are inseparable from one another.

asper

Arcane
How can art be about what is good when you reject it portraying anything that is bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom