Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Other examples supposedly include Skyrim, where siding with the Nord nationalists was the "evil" choice, but since i never played the game, i wouldn't know that.

Or maybe your own preconceptions colour your impressions, because that was not what I saw in the game at all.

EDIT: LS vs the Race Traitors, hehe

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Josh Sawyer certainly is.

I mean in their games. I don't recall many instances where you were beaten in the head with politics, not in the way the Witcher did, or the way Biowhore tried to do with their whole homo-faggot shtick (that went down well, did it). Certain nods to political correctness are so ingrained now (like putting women in typical "masculine" roles) that you can just expect them as a matter of course, that doesn't mean one is trying to be overtly political or ideological.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Apart from the fact that what you say is highly questionable, I wouldn't compare The Witcher's writing with the work of Obsidian. Way too different.

If you mean that the writing in the Witcher was much shittier, then yes, they are "different".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But i bet the "colonists" (humans) are going to be evil and racist, while the colonized (non-humans) are going to be noble and pure. Mind you though, there's not going to be any politics in this game, no sir. :troll:
Vailians - Most Vailians come from the Vailian Republics, a federation of independent city-states made up of former colonies from the Grand Empire of Vailia. They are a powerful mercantile force in the southern hemisphere, trading with more partners than any other nation or empire. Five cities are considered "grand" republics and have greater voting power in their electoral council: Spirento, Ancenze, Selona, Ozia, and Revua. The federation is widely known for its access to most major commodities in the world, including slaves, and for its habit of impressing (abducting) foreigners into service on their naval vessels. Ethnic Vailians (humans and a small number of dwarves) have dark brown skin and tightly spiraled, dark brown hair. They most commonly have brown or black eyes, but occasionally have green, hazel, or grey eyes. Vailians pride themselves on their well-made and intricately-decorated clothing, often made with rare materials and dyes to which they have easy access.
Black dwarf slavers, what will they think of next?

I mean in their games. I don't recall many instances where you were beaten in the head with politics, not in the way the Witcher did, or the way Biowhore tried to do with their whole homo-faggot shtick (that went down well, did it). Certain nods to political correctness are so ingrained now (like putting women in typical "masculine" roles) that you can just expect them as a matter of course, that doesn't mean one is trying to be overtly political or ideological.
Did you play New Vegas? It was all about choosing your Political Ideology.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

Is including homosexual companions an intrusive political commentary?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I mean in their games.

Yes, "in their games". Whole New Vegas was based around politics, power play and equilibrium between factions and unaligned communities, all having a valid agenda. That's what Sawyer's interested in, in-game politics, and that's what he does best.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Obviously. What else?

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Obviously. What else?
Acknowledgment of reality?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Fallout: New Vegas was a fuckin homo-liberal fag bible with nipple tassels then :mhd:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't tell LS about Arcade and Veronica. Or Cherchez la Femme or Confirmed Bachelor.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

No, i didn't play New Vegas. That's besides the point though, because what we are talking about here is the developer's own political preference seeping into the game, not whether the game was "political", in a general sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure we should be enlightening Lyric Suite about the nature of Obsidian's politics. Let him remain blissfully ignorant.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Definitely mined gold nuggets out of another dude's anus in Fallout 2.

evdk

Patron
I knew I would not regret purchasing this tag!

race_title.png
:love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

No, i didn't play New Vegas. That's besides the point though, because what we are talking about here is the developer's own political preference seeping into the game, not whether the game was "political", in a general sense.
21jujbo.png

The lead designer/project director of Eternity. :smug:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
That's besides the point though, because what we are talking about here is the developer's own political preference seeping into the game, not whether the game was "political", in a general sense.

Everyone knows what you mean (you're not exactly unpredictable, you know :lol:). Unfortunately not everyone's willing to follow you up on your delusions...
And shame on you for not seeing the difference between Bioware ("in your face" marketing ideology) and Obsidian, whose New Vegas you didn't play. Too bad it's the best possible point of comparison to this project.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Obviously. What else?
Acknowledgment of reality?

By your argument, why not also include pedophile companions as well? Or companions suffering from cerebral palsy? Hey, its reality.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Companion suffering from cerebral palsy would be AWESOME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom