Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
I saw Terranigma brought up but no one ever mentions Illusion of Gaia. While the game is simple, it's story and music are really great.
It's also not a very long game so like Chrono Trigger can be revisited and enjoyed without a huge time sink.
IoG1.jpg

illusion-of-time-super-nintendo-snes-027.jpg

illusion-of-time-super-nintendo-snes-026.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Dragon Souseiki, a 1992 PC98 rpg by Basho House.

397316-dragon-soseiki-pc-98-front-cover.jpg

397315-dragon-soseiki-pc-98-back-cover.jpg

Setting is a pre-Incan civilization called Tiawanoko near Titicaca lake (≈ 1000 BC).

Main characters are Guy Pendragon and his friend Topa. In the game intro it is shown they are born in an underground city in Yucatan which is destroyed by a dragon. Guy and Topa both lose their parents and eventually make a journey to Tiawanoko together.

Arriving in Tiawanoko Guy and Topa apparently are on a quest for a chosen woman (the daughter of the sun). Topa is apparently the leader of the “Buu” tribe of the underground Rorutoon empire destroyed by black magic. The true quest though is unravelling Guy’s legacy.

Exploration is first person but combat works like Phantasy Star, with the characters visible on screen doing shit.

Game features a ‘learn by doing’ magic system where spells become more powerful the more they are cast. Leveling is slow, money hard to come at least in the beginning. The dungeons are p. fun to go through, not too long and not too short and a good balance of puzzles and combat.

Artstyle is somewhat different but overall I liked it.

I liked how the entire area in the game was interconnected; you start at Tiawanoko town and slowly explore the entire environs around lake Titicaca from there (even the bottom of lake Titicaca) – initially this means quite a lot of backtracking although sometimes there are “shortcuts”.

Cusco (future capital of Inca empire) and Nazca highland are also prominent locations in the game. There’s actually a decent puzzle on Nazca where the “mouth of the condor” needs to be found.

The game is very story driven, as the plot progresses Guy acquires new party members, first of which is a girl called Chiki. When you get her Chiki is rather frail and has naught but a puny dagger but her critical attack rate is very high.

Second party member is a big burly warrior called Gus who has information on the chosen woman in exchange for some assistance. Gus is strong but also very slow in comparison to Chiki… basically p. useless.

During the journey Guy occasionally is contacted in his dreams by a blonde woman called Myui telling him he is from the red tribe… the black tribe are his enemies.

Game is fairly challenging; party members will never have a lot of HP in comparison to enemies who can sometimes land a critical hit and do over 100 damage if you’re not careful – magic is useful and meant to be used often. Unfortunately for a very large chunk of the game you are forced to take along the stupidly inept Gus (it’s game over if any party member dies).

The bulk of experience in the game is gained not by combat but by furthering the storyline or completing side events.

Unfortunately, after defeating Kordoon Topa is killed in a cutscene by the main villain losing a very valuable party member. Luckily at that point a new p. powerful party member shows up; Myui herself shows up, a cleric of the white tribe.

Myui is basically the “chosen woman” Guy was looking for but at this point this is no longer the main plot point. She belongs to a tribe of protectors of the royal bloodline who’ve been living in Machu Picchu for 2,000 years.

It is also revealed Guy has royal blood; his father (who belonged to the Dragon tribe – red/white/black tribes are all offshoots of the Dragon tribe) was the founder of the primordial Inca empire. Not to mention Guy is 700 years old (Toba was 500 years old).

After Myui joins Gus (finally) leaves and Chiki can be added to the party again. Both ladies are way stronger than Gus. Myui is immediately useful with an arsenal of support spells (including a teleport spell) that come in handy when getting through a temple filled with gold golems that hit like trucks. However her best spell is called Quetzal that transforms her into a feathered serpent that is ridiculously powerful in melee combat. But even without any magic Myui is a better fighter than Chiki.

The final dungeon in the game is ridiculously big (a very long way to backtrack should you teleport out) with a lot of tough “minibosses” before the final boss that most of the time can be cheesed with the Sleep spell.

At the very end, though, Guy faces the Big Bad on his own which is p. badass. The game was engineered so that Guy only reaches the level cap of 20 after beating the boss’ first form; the boss’ second form is fought in dragon form – the spell which Guy learns at level 20.

The ending could nary be happier, as Topa is brought back to life and both Guy and Gus get the girls.

Overall, this is a good game. There’s a hint at a sequel at the end but it never came.

TwPEFrt.gif

QG9mwYh.gif

0QTIHKc.gif

AVwOxqJ.gif

vYGKF9j.gif

m3vyUh7.gif

iL1cWBy.gif

DZQtA1W.gif

VxxSxS9.gif

0Vvvopc.gif

P3dklIz.gif

scjY8Xw.gif

yvoHrES.gif

bdOUvMW.gif

mz6SjlI.gif

UrbN16T.gif

1jaEDsh.gif

6xYCuKo.gif

ZM1thRK.gif

u7brtHD.gif

XoF4am7.gif

9QEX9R6.gif

255uEIP.gif

Nmofmec.gif

fNADF2K.gif

PQ9SG1F.gif

z3GjLmK.gif

EApQo2o.gif

kbPIp5k.gif

41PIGrz.gif

SyLxZ8Z.gif

UsJcnLD.gif

X2E0yng.gif

GTghS7M.gif

qpo0bhY.gif

ZhH64zy.gif

i67ZiZ2.gif

XkJVGAM.gif

8xxREks.gif

laclongquan

Arcane
Nagai Go is obsessed with the theme of final battle between Armies of Heaven lead by angels against Armies of Devils lead by Lucifer, and Armies of Beast lead by Satan. Most of his major series revolve around it.

Finished Shuten Douji (手天童子), a 1990 PC98 rpg by Enix.

This is based on a 80s manga series by Nagai Go but I hadn’t previously heard of it. There’s also an 1989 animu but also p. obscure.

iIPcJd0.jpg

I have to stress that while Nagai Go is a pervy shitlord, his works are by all means p. tasteful. The game is not an eroge.

The main character is a boy that was gifted by an oni to a Japanese couple as a baby. His full name is Shutendou Shirou (his adoptive parents’ last name is actually Murasaki, I guess under Wapanese adoption law adopted children only enter family register at age 21?).

Shutendou literally means “boy from a hand of heaven”. As soon as the boy turns 15 years old all hell breaks loose.

The game certainly has one of the craziest beginnings I’ve ever seen – first saving his crush Miyuki from a group of bullies, then saving a teacher from more of the same bullies who turns out to be controlled by a demon. Then the boy’s powers awaken and he tears everyone apart. Turns out his main enemy is the demon king who wants to kill him at all cost – tricking the boy into entering the demon realm to save his waifu again (and he does, after strangling his own (fake) mother).

Typical Wapanese schoolday.

Enix managed to convey the typical Nagai Go artstyle p. well, wouldn’t be surprised if the man himself worked on the game.

The game may look primitive but it manages to build a p. believable community of a small Wapanese town. At the beginning of each chapter you start at home and can talk to the main character’s parents for advice.

Storywise an awful lot of Buddhist/Shinto terms come into play (terms even difficult for Wapanese to read it seems, considering the amount of furigana) and as I’m not too familiar with those religions I didn’t get everything (lots of talk about mandala and such). Basically the main character was fated to destroy the demon world. In order to succeed the main character needs to gather specific companions, who are needed to create the ultimate weapon the main character needs to succeed.

Gameplay wise there are random encounters but 99% give very little experience; bulk of experience is gained by fighting story related battles.

Game is very short, it consists of four chapters. In the final chapter the boy’s mother and waifu are kidnapped. Also all companions die gruesomely (almost arbitrarily) right before taking on the final boss.

I suppose this game (and the animu) covers the first manga chapter(s) since apparently in later chapters the main character even goes into spaaaace.

Overall, interesting game that gave me some insight in Shinto/Buddhism/Wapanese mythology.

BPRGXTa.gif

ZvaQ3wN.gif

SLGVqle.gif

ttmH5TB.gif

nz1fukg.gif

q02ZVAO.gif

i4YeYi7.gif

PkcoE7c.gif

xAyaDMj.gif

bITpX9X.gif

4aDC6D3.gif

XuO3LUQ.gif

sER1Obt.gif

K025kQX.gif

lPbSGp2.gif

y7PxLtM.gif

C8Phjiv.gif

p5f6jaL.gif

5GYd1sf.gif

fb4HlmS.gif

JeFgSRp.gif

nM4m8TU.gif

xWdVrNv.gif

nRkbZuY.gif

tvqBA0V.gif

CaFfgkl.gif

2b6j7MH.gif

koLnDXr.gif

TTtBC2V.gif

Bz07op3.gif

zvTiSL0.gif

U4xisNt.gif

kqo1OrH.gif

3OfL9C0.gif

WoLF0TC.gif

N4tmJ3i.gif

8zBG87F.gif

PGiwjR2.gif

ASFAl7Q.gif

dFMC8zA.gif

Tc6XcO7.gif

Fmwou8R.gif

csTCsG8.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Illusion City [Gen’ei Toshi], a 1991 PC98 rpg by Micro Cabin Corp.

80227-illusion-city-gen-ei-toshi-msx-front-cover.jpg

The setting is future Hong Kong which was turned into a cyberpunkish dystopia after a demon invasion.

The main character is a “DIVER” (Demon Intercept Vital-Erase Runner) called 天人 and a police officer called 美紅, which are Ten’nin/Tien’ren and Miku/Meiphen depending on whether the names are read in Wapanese or Chinese.

In the very beginning of the game Tien’ren is hearing a voice in his dreams referring to itself as Daasa. Daasa wants to be freed by Tian’ren to reawaken the latter’s apparent own ‘divine’ power.

After he wakes up Meiphen arrives with a girl called Houmei who was attacked by demons and SIVA hoodlums – SIVA being the corporation in charge of Hong Kong. Furthermore Houmei’s twin sister Shaomei was kidnapped – SIVA is joined at the hip with a weird demon worshipping cult who want to involve her in a ritual. Their exact motive is to summon forth Agartha (a legendary city tied to Hollow Earth mythos).

Tien’ren and Meiphen have various weapon specializations, the skill level of which gets better with use. In the beginning of the game Tien’ren is good with handguns and swords, whilst Meiphen is good with rifles and a cord-like weapon called zanshi.

Third companion slot is for temporary characters of which there are various: the main characters’ adoptive father (a priest), a hoary mercenary (who dies in dramatic fashion). Near the end of the game even Houmei becomes party member – she fights with claws like Nei used to.

For such an old game the game is very “cinematic”, not only are there many cutscene but basically every conversation with a plot important person is completely automated. The in-game cutscenes and animations are certainly technically impressive for a game this old but I found it a bit excessive.

Like in Phantasy Star games, the entire party is visible moving around the map and doing shit during combat. In fact, considering Tien’ren’s looks calling this game a mix of Phantasy Star and Snatcher would be an accurate description.

Basically the point of the game is to find and defeat the 8 SIVA underling each of which rule a part of Hong Kong. Each of the 8 has a piece of the Daasa statue that needs to be reassembled. Upon recovery of each piece new elemental spells are unlocked.

Combat encounters come in the form of thumbleweeds/clouds that can be dodged if one is so inclined.

There’s a very large assortment of weapons in the game but the more exotic ones are extremely expensive. In fact, even very basic items are quite expensive – a simple mana potion costs 2,100. At least in the beginning of the game one needs to be p. frugal with money and it’s never really worth buying scrolls and special ammo.

For some reason though melee damage seems to be much superior to guns. Meiphen with her whip-cord-thingie killed probably 90% of enemies, at least until she is briefly kidnapped near the end of the game.

There are many magic spells in the game but little to no feedback on what they do. Luckily game manual and information is available on MSX Repository.

Like in Phantasy Star, there are very powerful armour and weapons available to purchase right at the start so once these are acquired after some grinding the rest of the combat in the game is mostly trivial. Level doesn't need to be absurdly high to beat the game either.

I didn’t grind in the beginning due to too much backtracking so the first bossfight was p. challenging due to low on resources and likely being underleveled, I won it by a hair.

A couple of bosses in the game are introduced during an intimate moment with their ‘significant other’, who later tag along in the boss fight and get killed along with the boss.

Furthermore two of the male bosses are shown to be sexually manipulated by a female boss and tricked into death at the hands of the main characters.

It’s not a bad attempt to make the main villains seem human despite their powers in comparison with the Big Bad, a generic demon king. Indeed another of the major villains is shown falling in love with Shaomei and rebels against the demon king after her untimely death. In the end he even becomes an ally.

In the end of the game it turns out the game’s plot is basically “what’s in a name”, e.g. the 天 and 人 part of 天人are reunited. Of course main character refuses to become a god and ends up fighting his other half in a p. kewl but overly long magic duel (but who thought it was a good idea for the boss’ final form being a giant lobster/shrimp).

Last but not least, the OST is quite memorable.

OxvFXqD.gif

2tDz0Df.gif

DKCt0B3.gif

Yf9WoOm.gif

Fu4OpaV.gif

MSO0RHz.gif

3kq3vGX.gif

9OzZ8zr.gif

jq3Ql3P.gif

05GckoB.gif

gdDEHvM.gif

3XvyrrO.gif

XnAyCfI.gif

JXHBBQf.gif

XNrjSRn.gif

GV1CPzz.gif

OH3AJE3.gif

lnxjV2B.gif

uvak5yy.gif

0CmwZfh.gif

HFztxSF.gif

jUlnVMP.gif

IDdDb8R.gif

A7uu1Zq.gif

0ZL6p7m.gif

vYfWW6U.gif

gsLgdy1.gif

PYEB80p.gif

vkGcFH9.gif

zIbiglH.gif

fMJrEKs.gif

MMGC9Lo.gif

dEk5tw6.gif

mJNSN2o.gif

gcG2614.gif

i29uO5W.gif

PFMWgvI.gif

elW8uNr.gif

lOfdiIk.gif

muTnFnC.gif

50zhQPK.gif

Seems the MSX version which looks better than the PC-98 version, is partially translated. However the emulation for this device is apparently far from perfect.

For comparison this is how the intro looks on Sega CD:

SkyeWelse

Barely Literate
Just out of curiousity, why did you say that you thought the MSX version of Illusion City looked better than the PC-98 version? I know it's a good version but I've personally found the PC-98 version superior in terms of appearance and sound. I mean generally a version for a 16 bit system is usually going to outshine a 8 bit system. I'm a big MSX fan as well as Pc-98 and while this game was made during the end of days for MSX exclusively for it's Turbo R system which did beef up the computer in terms of using a much faster R800 processor, it was still limited to the resolutions set by various MSX screen modes, and a 16 color pallette. To me the colors and sound on the PC-98 version pop out more for me. Also I think the last two disks for the MSX version has some kind of issue which halted the project from a hacking standpoint whereas the PC-98 version may be different. Since I'm personally invested in the PC-98 version getting a fan-translation it could be that I'm a bit more biased towards that version though. I also own it CIB for PC-98 so I plan on preserving scans of all the contents at a later time.

Also neat that that game had a release on the Mega CD. I had not seen that until now. Love the animated openings that are different but not sure I love much else about that version so far. The in-game graphics look very washed out.

-SkyeWelse

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Character portraits look better to me plus no separate dialogue screen when using the TALK command which annoyed me a lot in the PC98 version.

The Mega CD version likely censors the (p. tame) sex scenes.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
2 decent short translated free RPG Maker indies with interesting combat if nothing else :
- StandStll Girl :
The game is a very linear dungeon crawler with a ridiculously dark story.
You control only one character with only 3 stats (damage dealt, speed and hit points) but you've got to equip the 5 skills (and/or items) you'll bring to battles and new skills have to be unlocked via hidden requirements. Enemies' skills as well as yours are varied, with a couple of status alterations. Battles are short, the combat system is simple but efficient, basically you get one action point per turn, actions require a different number of action points, you don't spend any action point if you guard and guarding at the right moment is the key. The game isn't hard mostly because you can save wherever you want but still enough to be fun.

- Liar Jeannie in Crucifix Kingdom (you need to install RPG Maker XV RTP or whatever it is to play the game, there's a link on the page) :
It is also a very linear dungeon crawler, with classic phase-based combat. You control 2 base characters + up to 2 summoned ones. Monsters appear on the map and you can generally avoid them if you want. The twist is that there's no experience and your skills and stats are entirely determined by your equipement consisting of items crafted from material left by dead enemies. Non-boss enemies respawn so you're not punished for experimenting.
The game is fun, well balanced and definitely not easy. There are a couple of elemental weaknesses and status alterations. Battles are short but interesting, monsters as you can deal a lot of damage, I often died against roamming monsters. The boss battles are fun.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Alshark, a 1991 PC98 RPG from Right Stuff (same developer as Chilam Balam).

199938-alshark-turbografx-cd-front-cover.jpg

199940-alshark-turbografx-cd-back-cover.jpg

Main character is a young man called Shion Asman (Assman?). The childhood friend/girl next door is called Shouko Penrose.

The setting is a sci-fi universe with three major players: the Mars Federation, Zolius Empire and Willian Kingdom. Mars Federation are basically humans, Zolius the Klingon knockoffs and Willian are Vulcan like.

The game looks a bit more primitive than Chilam Balam (not to mention previous game I played was Illusion City from the same year). However cutscenes look very good.

It is possible to not only dual wield melee weapons but also wield a gun in one hand and a melee weapon in the other (heck, one character can dual wield bazookas). On planets it’s possible to travel in hover crafts/tanks and such in order to cross water or simply to survive the enemies.

In the beginning of the game a meteor drops on the planet Shion lives on and he and Shouko go off to investigate even though they were forbidden to do so. Both their fathers are at the scene researching it.

Oddly in the starting town there are zero shops, so it’s necessary to make do with the weapons and little items you can scrounge around. In a couple of towns it’s possible to take on some small jobs for money.

During combat only Shion can be controlled, other joinables are AI controlled (they’ll also use spells on their own). However they have some unique skills that can be used in the field, e.g. Shouko has healing/teleport & Joe has repair/analysis skills.

AI is generally competent but of course there are moments when AI won’t heal when they need to. There is no numerical feedback about damage inflicted, but enemies will become red when near death.

When Shion and Shoko arrive at the meteor scene a ship of the Zolius empire is also at the scene and their fathers are taken away. However, their fathers resist and in the following cafuffle somehow when Shoko’s father touches a Zolius gun something wakes up and he seems to turn evil, killing Shion’s father. He mentions the word “Alshark” before flying off with the Zolius ship.

Returning to his hometown, strangely enough Shion’s mother left without saying something. Next task is to find her with the help of Scrap Joe, former acquaintance of Shion and Shouko’s fathers. Scrap Joe can upgrade the robot that doesn’t level automatically.

Turns out Shion’s mother left the planet, luckily Scrap Joe got a self-built spaceship to chase after her. The ship can be equipped with various weapons and armour; Scrap Joe can craft armour, weapons and engine/frame/turrets for spaceship.

Once you hit space there are rather annoying space battle random encounters. On planet surfaces it’s possible to use hovercrafts, tanks, etc. which are sometimes the only way to reach certain locations.

Not shortly after leaving the first planet Mamon shows up again, robobro gets scrapped (though an improved version of him later joins the party) but a new party member is gained, > 2m high warrior womyn called Welda. She’s half-Zolius and cyborg (but without a full cyborg body).

At this point there a couple of mission for the Mars Federation, like investigating a drug from the Zolius Empire that acts on junk DNA and causes either rapid evolution or rapid degeneration.

Once you gain access to the spaceship the game becomes somewhat freeform; it’s possible to visit planets in whichever order but enemies might be much too strong. The spaceship can be upgraded – especially upgrading engine is important in order to be able to do “hyperspace jump” and travel to star systems instantly rather than do everything manually.

Eventually when Shion finds his mother it turns out when the meteor fell she merged with a primordial pure energy being from inside the meteor and became “Alshark”. Shouko’s father merged with Alshark’s enemy. Since Shouko’s father joined up with the Zolius Empire and threatens to conquer the galaxy, Alshark’s mission is to prevent this.

Of course Shion as the main character as the “chosen one” receives the hidden power and Alshark mainly serves as a guide. At this point Shion & Co break away from the Mars Federation, steal their spaceship back and become free agents.

Around halfway through the game Alshark’s enemy is defeated and Shouko’s father saved; however Shion loses his mother in the process. The rest of the game basically comes down to taking down the Zolius empire.

Final dungeon is quite annoying to get through, enemies are very strong even with best equipment. Final boss though is a complete walk-over (other bosses in the game have millions of HP and take ages to kill).

And oh yeah, it ends on a cliffhanger.

Plot and character wise there are definitely some parallels with Libros de Chilam Balam; in particular main character having a red-headed girlfriend who is kidnapped at one point early in the game. Not to mention, the smack-talking older bearded dude and a focus on parental issues.

Difficulty wise I found the game about as challenging as early Phantasy Star games.

Regarding the music, peculiarly enough the main theme that plays inside towns is VERY familiar to the main theme of the Russian game Farewell to Dragons. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

rjjPGt8.gif

CZGXkBK.gif

KBHal2W.gif

SEqXruq.gif

iuSJjFi.gif

iIp7A0p.gif

mPqkik9.gif

YJOpEFu.gif

d5Y8CRQ.gif

W2GHtAI.gif

fZUdEjW.gif

jke4gh9.gif

drD8TBz.gif

o7unJkM.gif

WnWjIP2.gif

Eezshuc.gif

7ToEsU4.gif

fBxfpGE.gif

RNLenQZ.gif

3hn4wHX.gif

HSHyTP0.gif

MUZc6Ql.gif

1Y9yIk9.gif

Fm0pxyg.gif

UFuaG0S.gif

1TboR9N.gif

9yivxqk.gif

E3GVvf4.gif

vkKj1vo.gif

BEvlFBG.gif

aNJjQys.gif

vGbGV3t.gif

TjgawWA.gif

ACr2vRa.gif

1NjTGKP.gif

sttnVuM.gif

4ujcamh.gif

utq4Ajw.gif

W1hfyEI.gif

YRbFM1n.gif

EFzZWir.gif

Ry4stnq.gif

8F2NZlI.gif

Z7kBJMx.gif

u2cdUzZ.gif

EVjR9En.gif

65cDEoP.gif

9zmhnkd.gif

pCfIyPV.gif

TbLqffP.gif

C72Nmxp.gif

VBcCIdq.gif

dGiL8KT.gif

rL4wMzA.gif

IOgv0vV.gif

vEB0QZl.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Emerald Dragon, originally a 1989 PC88 game by Glodia.

Main character is a blue dragon called Atrushan who grew up with a green haired girl called Tamryn whom the dragon tribe found shipwrecked. Before she returned to the human world he gave her a horn she could use to call him at any time. After three years she calls him when her world is about to be engulfed by demon hordes (though as is much later revealed, her true purpose is finding out who she really is).

The PC98 version is a PC88 port and a p. ugly game outside cutscenes, with occasional very difficult to read fonts as well. Apparently FM-Towns version is best.

Atrushan in human form meets Tamryn again in her village in the beginning of the game and they start to travel together.

Combat is kind of similar to early Ultima games. Like in Alshark only main character can be directly controlled but it is also possible to give direct commands to party members if one so pleases.

Strangely enough even though the game is older there’s full combat feedback unlike in Alshark. The biggest issue in combat is Tamryn often not healing when she’s supposed to. Though she is forgiven as eventually she gains the ability to literally shoot laz0rs from her hands and use mass paralysis spells.

Indeed Tamryn is supposed to be the best waifu yet Falna, the second female party member, gets way more development as a character ànd is a much more diligent healer.

Only Atrushan and Tamryn gain levels in the game while party members’ stats are static. However they are usually quite powerful when they first join. They don’t gain levels automatically but only as the story progresses. There’s quite a big and varied cast and very bad things tend to happen to non-permanent party members.

As a slight oddity, in towns there are casinos where you can play slots and poker…

The game world is not very big but there’s a lot of back tracking. There are a couple of murderous forest dungeons in the game that you’re supposed to navigate by means of a yuge red dot on a tiny map.

Story wise the game is about beating the generic demon king however there’s a twist that he was merely summoned by an ancient technologically advanced race called “Horus” responsible for the curse that destroyed most of the dragons in the past. Tamryn is revealed to be of this race (it’s why she has green hair) and in fact is heir to the throne. The ‘emerald dragon’ must be resurrected in order to restore a goddess.

Final boss of the game is p. forgettable, some Horus stooge who is introduced five minutes before the game ends.

There are also a couple of elaborate sub-scenarios/sidequests but I ignored them due to too long backtracking (zero fast travel/teleportation in the game).

Music wise, I could swear some tracks were reused in Alshark.

I enjoyed this better than Alshark due to more dynamic combat and though encounter rate was high, there was zero grinding required to finish the game. Playing naturally I reached level 130.

The game ending hints as a sequel but apparently soon after the game release the developers broke apart.

nGAcbWZ.gif

7eHhSAU.gif

ZcNY5lv.gif

WuwVhia.gif

F9yIr38.gif

4NQmGrT.gif

cBGf9bn.gif

8BtJTO5.gif

LbAccfU.gif

ZKOlhVd.gif

KsdmtvI.gif

j6ge5Nz.gif

1vQtZbs.gif

HMsl6J8.gif

KFLHbZq.gif

5XtmK8G.gif

WsBa2o9.gif

887H1rh.gif

kxk10QF.gif

KVzUX0E.gif

Eylt9sa.gif

xOkS5Io.gif

twiY3hE.gif

J9uqaAg.gif

43sjBWE.gif

VTkty9V.gif

bGfWiLP.gif

x5XRs6X.gif

9eoRTQ8.gif

mJEMt8t.gif

nW3HXyE.gif

1I8mzuW.gif

IPcdajh.gif

NIlyFjH.gif

YeIDS7I.gif

TFQgbjr.gif

2EtnSxF.gif

Staff:

N0SyXp2.gif

yLMqfly.gif

bQDHaA9.gif

LrZEGb5.gif

yTdUZGD.gif

ahrXLZr.gif

ihbZZV9.gif

XFxdvTs.gif

3tlKaEP.gif

ZjoYmHJ.gif

1aICkh4.gif

sI60BiL.gif

Dithering really is a lost art. Don't PC-88 emulators allow for some kind of blending filter so you can actually experience them the way they were supposed to be?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Glodia had nothing to do with the SNES port. From what I looked at the beginning of the game is already completely different, who knows what else.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
2 decent short translated free RPG Maker indies with interesting combat if nothing else :
- StandStll Girl :
I love this one's graphic :love:
Turns out if you take the time to learn how to design a neat looking UI and pixel art (online tutorial is very handy), RPGMaker game doesn't have to look like ass.

peacegamer

Novice
Dragon Knight - TurboGrafx

I found this much more enjoyable than the original one. The game plays much easier and it has Automap system. Has voice over with good voice acting.

peacegamer

Novice
Finished Dragon Knight 2 Turbografx

YPaKE9F.png

Several improvements from its prequel.
Has some plot twist.
It is a good game. However, I feel bored around the last part of the game.
Luckily Dragon Knight 3 was created in different engine/environments.

5vulLVt.png

WqR8mWw.png

Apbx3Iq.png

zhQR3SW.png

JX9Px5m.png

xnAuEJO.png

qmmlphY.png

GGS1ToO.png

jW28nao.png

tnQcxfN.png

esoR9YH.png

ROWE5eQ.png

J1rea0n.png

3CwXMNI.png

fzFQ84y.png

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
I used to love Faxanadu as a kid, but I tried to replay it recently and I couldn't do it. Decline of gamer skills, for real. The controls are so god-awful, that was mostly the killing blow for me replaying the game again. Fucking flying enemies and awful attack/jump controls.

It was a pretty sweet Metroidvania type game though back in the day.

Loved watching my cousin play it as a kid. I played it a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, finished it in an evening.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Romansu wa Tsurugi no Kagayaki (ロマンスは剣の輝き), a 1995 PC98 rpg by Fairytale.

Main character is a turbodweeb peasant named Rune who saves a bathing princess from a direwolf in the beginning of the game. Hoping to see her again he joins an adventurer contest to retrieve magical orbs. Of course soon he becomes embroiled in a battle against evil, the plot is actually fairly interesting.

The main character lives in a church and starts the game with a mage party member and priestess party member. Later a cleric, dragon, loli mage and Elf join. There’s also a scholar character who can be leveled up even though she can’t do anything in combat.

The character system is uncharacteristic for a Wapanese game, i.e. all experience gained is shared and can be freely divided to increase character attributes as one sees fit. Weapons are not bought but merely improved at a smithery similar to Suikoden.

There are no random encounters: enemies are hand placed and visible moving on the map. There’s a big twist before the final chapter of the game and both the princess from the beginning of the game and one of the main villains become party members.

The story has a lot of silly humour but is actually overall p. enjoyable with a couple of cool characters and an actual competent main villain. The game has a very nice ending as well (though it depends on which waifu you are forced to choose at one point).

Game actually got a sequel on Playstation too but on first glance it looks like kiddie animu shit (but at least it has a hentai OVA). Might check it out, though, curious whether it follows up where the game ended.

haTXHO0.gif

M6wfkUZ.gif

YR1jFUX.gif

6K294F2.gif

S2HJq62.gif

2XaAHsr.gif

f5GJGPC.gif

1E0wTth.gif

XKvt3KB.gif

ceLaWCV.gif

Hy9c4m7.gif

IBJZmuJ.gif

ucb4t8Q.gif

R3mesig.gif

fdNW8Pz.gif

0RQrNof.gif

R0MTSaJ.gif

8vHWSUp.gif

b8nAjGO.gif

7m45sdq.gif

i3ocdEx.gif

PaKcvFi.gif

HrZ0U9f.gif

5dtzHyt.gif

K0opx4t.gif

Svo2fzN.gif

ueEH0Wx.gif

TeVhuup.gif

j8Q3kfU.gif

VK4NlUE.gif

lYYvVa9.gif

megF5Bg.gif

yjqrmSh.gif

F35ocdY.gif

jBGgoIn.gif

XVfHOMF.gif

oddaL9v.gif

wKRdAqF.gif

Vym7k22.gif

9aSvjcM.gif

GJqR6DQ.gif

xz8LAcV.gif

iaHsHa8.gif

8yUmu9X.gif

FwFUdi6.gif

mTnA0od.gif

eeS7970.gif

Y1al0Oo.gif

TTfhYKv.gif

LjsiqFP.gif

maKBCbg.gif

qa1TyMV.gif

RohVRkj.gif

mm8w151.gif

3xMk2uJ.gif

073fIne.gif

w3GQcG6.gif

Wdekjdt.gif

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I used to love Faxanadu as a kid, but I tried to replay it recently and I couldn't do it. Decline of gamer skills, for real. The controls are so god-awful, that was mostly the killing blow for me replaying the game again. Fucking flying enemies and awful attack/jump controls.

It was a pretty sweet Metroidvania type game though back in the day.

Loved watching my cousin play it as a kid. I played it a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, finished it in an evening.
I had the same experience. As a kid it seemed infinitely large and varied. When I came back to it later it was clunky and not much fun.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished XIX Gize!, a 1991 PC98 rpg by Fairytale.

Main character is an adventurer called Shion who finds womyn locked in a crystal orb in the middle of the desert. Womyn is called Fishiss and wants Shion’s help in locating the remains of an ancient palace where she has some business.

Game is a pure dungeon crawler with no automap. It is a very similar game to X-NA from the same developer.

Unlike X-NA the game is very short and overall p. unremarkable except for a couple of interesting puzzles. So overall not much of a waste of time.

GJfZe2U.gif

9vgjV0t.gif

exZsyxQ.gif

pu5TYRF.gif

EAUgd9A.gif

Zr0dw5S.gif

41blVz6.gif

IbjNUKr.gif

Cb4vHxu.gif

u0aVQh2.gif

TMS9lMr.gif

h2T915u.gif

tfNKkMt.gif

XnG5tiv.gif

vHyZL6k.gif

uOL6oGs.gif

vjiLe1v.gif

1eqro2A.gif

Hy4D5NZ.gif

Aej7qZ1.gif

AWD5w2u.gif

aqqDs7Z.gif

34iN4Gk.gif

IPFreely

Educated
Threads of Fate

Tsugunai Atonement

I like them both. They seem to have faded from the collective memory of JRPG fans.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tsugunai Atonement

I like them both. They seem to have faded from the collective memory of JRPG fans.
Tsugunai looks interesting, although critically and commercially ignored. What do you like about it?

Last edited:

IPFreely

Educated
I liked the "short story anthology" approach to the game rather than the big, sweeping story approach that most games have.

Combat is okay, soundtrack is great (by Yasunori Mitsuda). No terrible voice acting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom