Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by index.php, Jun 14, 2014.

1. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    https://openxcom.mod.io/

Here there are some mandatory mods for the WH40k mod, such as more armor variants for the IG, and better bravery stats for the Marine recruits. They are supposed to have no fear, so IMO they should have Bravery of 90-100 and immune to morale damage. I would make an exception for the cowardly Chaos Legions and the barbaric Frost Wolves, but neither are playable in the mod.

^ Top  
  2. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    You just linked to the mod.io homepage. And I don't see any submods there, nor on the forum.

^ Top  
  3. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    Oh yeah I see them now. I didn't look at the full list, just searched "40k" which only found the base mod (abysmal search implementation).

^ Top  
  5. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    For you that have played Final Mod Pack might have noticed that some of the UFOpedia art don't really feel right. There is some anime, cartoony stuff that I don't think fit the setting. Anyway, in my autism I have changed some of those pictures to more... Sci-fi-ish art.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Alloy ammo

[​IMG]
    Cannon

[​IMG]
    Incendiaries

[​IMG]
    Launchers

[​IMG]
    Machine-guns

[​IMG]
    Melee weapons

[​IMG]
    Pistols

[​IMG]
    Rifles

[​IMG]
    Shotgun

[​IMG]
    Submachine-guns

[​IMG]
    Sniper Rifles

How it looks in-game:

[​IMG]

Download here!

How to install:

C:\ ... Documents \ OpenXcom \ mods \ Final Mod Pack \ Resources \ FinalModPack \ UfopediaTechPics

Not sure about the graphics in the mod The X-com Files - if it use the same art for these sections, but if it does I assume the replacement will work there too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Decide to tweak the pictures a bit, wasn't 100% happy with some of them so changed out a few pieces of art.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    Cannons

[​IMG]
    Machine-guns

[​IMG]
    Rifles

[​IMG]
    Shotguns

[​IMG]
    Sniper rifles

Download the updated pack here!

You can of course switch between the graphics however you like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Brofist x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Alright, decided to change the remaining art. It's not that the original is all bad, but mostly did it for consistency and fun I guess. This will be the final pack, aka version 3 and will have all the changes in one pack. The other packs will remain if someone wanna switch out some art for something else since I decided to switch out the rifle art once again.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Alien Biology

[​IMG]
    Alien gardens

[​IMG]
    Alien neuro-psychology

[​IMG]
    Alien subjugation

[​IMG]
    Antimatter

[​IMG]
    Fusion calibration

[​IMG]
    Fusion explosives

[​IMG]
    Fusion weapons

[​IMG]
    Gravity generator

[​IMG]
    Optical processor

[​IMG]
    Plasma calibration

[​IMG]
    Plasma weapons

[​IMG]
    Tractor beam

And the new rifle-art:

[​IMG]

Download the final version here!
    ----

How to install:

C:\ ... Documents \ OpenXcom \ mods \ Final Mod Pack \ Resources \ FinalModPack \ UfopediaTechPics

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Alienman They look pretty good. Going to use them. Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. AgentFransis Arbiter Patron

AgentFransis
    40k is a good mod. It's not as expansive and addictive as piratez but what it does it does very well - the style and artwork is great and it's very appropriately brutal.

I'm at the start of the fourth month playing as tactical marines and I tried my first base assault. Turns out it was a traitor guard base and instead of the usual xcom underground base it was a realistic looking above ground guard outpost - a central barracks, supply and vehicle depots all around, parked lightnings etc. And crucially a pair of fully armed chimeras. And of course a shitload of guardsmen all around armed with fun stuff like missile launchers, grenade launchers, melta guns and plasma pistols, including a few nasty dudes with personal shields. My drop pods put me right next to the chimeras so my only chance is to take out their turrets on turn 1, then smoke and sweep. I give four marines pre-armed melta bombs. The first two land right next to one turret. The other two fucking miss and land behind the chimera. Yada, yada, yada the guard kicks my ass.

I've killed a whole bunch of chaos marines of all sorts by this point, including nasty fucking Khorne berserkers, chaos psykers and a Tzeentch sorcerer and the humble guardsmen and their chimeras are the toughest by far :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Alienman doing Yahweh’s work. You interested in de-weebing XPiratez?

• Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. axx Learned

axx
    Brilliant art Alienman.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I remember someone already tried making an "all-ages" rated mod for Piratez. He eventually gave up.

• incline incline x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Sounds like a big project. And I have not played X-piratez much actually, so I wouldn't know what the graphics represent. Like I went through the X-com files (not played that one much either) and there is pictures of ghosts and stuff. Is there an actual ghost faction in the game?

^ Top  
  13. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Yeah, there are Ghosts (and some missions where you fight them) and I think it has something to do with dead gals but I am still in mid-game.

^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Ghosts are a thing in both Piratez and XCOM files. Obviously, in the latter they're treated more seriously.

^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Finally done with the 1.0 version of the X-com Files alternative art. I didn't change everything, since some stuff look good already. I did tweak some of the art to my liking though, but I won't post those here. I haven't changed the dossiers yet though. I'm still thinking about that. The biggest offender to my senses and immersion in this mod is the commendation graphic. For some unknown reason Solarius Scorch ditched the excellent commendation mod/graphic he made for Final Mod Pack for this weird collection of pictures masquerading as commendations. Anyway, I changed the medal graphic to the most basic one from FMP and it's now the default replacement for all commendations.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, I have only touched the UFOpedia. I got rid of the excessive cartoony/anime stuff and art that makes references to other games/movies (still some left though). To me those things are immersion killers. Too many to list them all, so here is an sample:

[Spoilers down below!]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't guarantee that all will work without graphical issues, since well, I can't see them all in-game. But the ones I can see work at least!

Download the X-com Files Alternative Art 1.0 here!
    -----------------------------

How to install:

C:\ ... Documents \ OpenXcom \ mods \ XcomFiles \ Resources \

(Remember to make a backup of the files, and you can pick and choose however you like. It's easy to switch around stuff!)

EDIT:

X-com Files Alternative Art 1.1 is done, and thanks to eXalted it's now a mod! Mostly done some tweaking/cleaning up, but a few new UFOpedia sections have changed. Some examples:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download 1.1 here!
    -------------------------

This will be the last update to the UFOpedia art, so that part won't get updated more (hopefully :)). I have not yet decided if I want to update the dossier art, since it looks like it will be very time consuming, and full with spoilers. Unfortunately I have to read the dossiers to get a grip on what the person in question are supposed to look like.

Since this is now a mod, just unzip the files into:

C:\ ... Documents \ OpenXcom \ mods

And activate the mod from the mod menu in-game.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Alienman Those are great. You know, you can have them as a separate mod so that they don't overwrite the originals. Like this -
    https://www42.zippyshare.com/v/8qVBFNrM/file.html

This way you can update the mod and still have your images as alternatives because they won't be overwritten.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Ah, great idea! Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    ^ Top  
  18. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    So does anyone actually like un-modded OpenXcom as much as the original?

I've only played it unmodded, and whilst the performance improvements are great, some of the things which change the game balance kill the experience a bit too IMO. Later difficulties in particular feel attritional as opposed to suspenseful.

^ Top  
  19. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Not really sure what you mean. OpenXcom on default settings is identical to original game balance in most ways. Only major difference I can think of that makes the game easier is the 80 item cap on the skyranger being removed

^ Top  
  20. robinox Novice

robinox
    I've been following OXC for a long time and AFAIK you are right.

^ Top  
  21. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    For which OXCE comes with a mod that enables the cap if you want it back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    The X-com Files Alternative Art 1.2 is here, and hopefully it is final! I have changed most of the dossiers. My thinking was that these people feel larger than life - that's what makes them unique enough to stand out in the X-com world. So my plan was to get that to come through with the art I picked and have it remain fairly consistent. I also tried to match their personality as much as possible going by their dossiers. Another change I have made is the vehicle art. Most are the same, but I updated some of the art that looked a bit less interesting. I also changed out two "anime-like" subculture pictures to something less anime (sorry anime lovers :P)

Dossier examples:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vehicles:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Subcultures:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download X-com Files Alternative Art 1.2 here!
    Backup download since Tinyupload seems to be down.

------------------------

How to install:

Put the files in:

C:\ ... Documents \ OpenXcom \ mods

And activate the mod from the mod menu in-game.

[​IMG]

Good luck commander!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Brofist x 4
    • nice x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Started to play X-com files, and how do you survive the negative score? I get spammed with missions/investigations and I don't have enough teams or time to cover them all.

^ Top  
  24. Efe Liturgist

Efe
    you can go in and out turn 1 for most msisions without civillians for 0 score.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    I've noticed that... hehe.

Was wondering how to tackle all these zombie/cultists missions with 10-15+ dudes with 4 agents, and apparently - this is the way!

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.