Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

KateMicucci

Arcane
early game you can get some use out of peasants by giving them the tribal outfit and some javelins. They won't be as strong as a javelin girl but javelins are still pretty good.

- Hell yeah, on my way to fill out my Lab with Brainers.
- Seriously thinking about making another base. I'm constantly running into Living Space limits and honestly, I would rather preserve space in my primary base right now. My current base is located in North America, in the Technocracy. Seriously thinking about building another one in southern South America, allowing me to cover both Americas and later on, a bit of Antarctica. I have loads of apples since the barn mission and have been making Chateau so that should cover all expenses.
- My second base would be focused on Manufacturing, allowing me to buy hundreds of Runts to make Chateau, Grog and whatever other items I need. Add in some soldiers for security too, both to protect it and because ATM I can't build Hangars yet. This would also allow me to specialize the primary on Research later on.
- My base experienced a base attack, luckily even after I sent my soldiers to attack some Ratmen, I still had more than enough gals. Ratmen lol. Most of them with Crossbows lol. The only dangerous moment was when they rushed like 6-8 Guard Dogs and Blood Hounds at me, if things had turned out different it would have been a slaughter. Good mission tho, got some neat captures (Rat Man Brigand, Rat Man Lieutenant and Blood Hound).
- I find it hilarious how racist the Gals are towards Ratmen. They straight out consider Ratmen good-for-nothings, head out in straight purge missions against Ratmen settlements because they're there, and if you capture Ratmen, they are imprisioned with the animals instead of the Prison Cells :lol:
- Is Warrior Armor worth it? Seems like good armor but damn if those penalties for wearing the armor don't seem hurtful. Seem like a replacement to Barbarian Armor for the strongest, highest stamina melee gals.

As in, these mini-bases get stronger, bigger, with more and more powerful enemies.
At least that was so in XCF. It should be the same here.
Sometimes you can use this to your advantage to grind interesting items, but I would do that only if you know what you're doing.
Oh shit, that sounds dangerous.
They're disposable meat-shields used as cannon fodder, really. Or that's what I read and what I remember from their low stats.
Yeah they're clearly meant to be disposable. Still, life is the Emperor's currency, gotta know how to spend them well.
For when there's a fuckton of enemies that want you dead and you want that gone NOW. Nukes probably destroy like 40 tiles which is half of the map I bet.
IIRC they have a timer so you can use a flying unit to throw them. Check an explosive's ID stats to check for their radius, lest you're caught in the explosion.
That mission is awesome, but careful with harming the goblin guy. You auto-fail that mission if you hurt him (you cannot even stun him, so you have to walk around him).
I asked and the mission was a clever inversion of the usual UFO mission, where for every UFO tile not destroyed you get Alien Alloys. Here is the opposite.
Holy shit, that's insane firepower.

Yeah I was careful, there were two goblin guys but they were on the other side of the map, so I just avoided and ignored them. I think all the smoke from Crate of Violence explosions also masked my gals from them.

Wow that's how it works? That's quite clever, and quite the original mission too.
early game you can get some use out of peasants by giving them the tribal outfit and some javelins. They won't be as strong as a javelin girl but javelins are still pretty good.
Interesting, I will check if it works out.

lightbane

Arcane
- Seriously thinking about making another base. I'm constantly running into Living Space limits and honestly, I would rather preserve space in my primary base right now. My current base is located in North America, in the Technocracy. Seriously thinking about building another one in southern South America, allowing me to cover both Americas and later on, a bit of Antarctica. I have loads of apples since the barn mission and have been making Chateau so that should cover all expenses.
You MUST build multiple bases. I remember reading (and checking the wiki) that having multiple bases is mandatory: for endgame tech and research you'll need specialized buildings that are so large that they require an entire base dedicated to them, so expand without hesitation.

- My base experienced a base attack, luckily even after I sent my soldiers to attack some Ratmen, I still had more than enough gals. Ratmen lol. Most of them with Crossbows lol. The only dangerous moment was when they rushed like 6-8 Guard Dogs and Blood Hounds at me, if things had turned out different it would have been a slaughter. Good mission tho, got some neat captures (Rat Man Brigand, Rat Man Lieutenant and Blood Hound).

I remember base missions being more annoying than what they should due having a sewer sublevel that is a pain to navigate.

- I find it hilarious how racist the Gals are towards Ratmen. They straight out consider Ratmen good-for-nothings, head out in straight purge missions against Ratmen settlements because they're there, and if you capture Ratmen, they are imprisioned with the animals instead of the Prison Cells :lol:
Well they're mutants. I didn't know that detail, I thought they were considered "humans" for capturing purposes. What I do remember is that their bosses are too fragile, which sucks as they tend to die after being whacked to the heat from excessive Stun damage, which is annoying as the leaders knows a lot of useful stuff.

- Is Warrior Armor worth it? Seems like good armor but damn if those penalties for wearing the armor don't seem hurtful. Seem like a replacement to Barbarian Armor for the strongest, highest stamina melee gals.

I used it as an early anti-small guns armor, it works well for that.

Holy shit, that's insane firepower.

I'm not sure if it was like that, I was giving an estimate number. Experiment or check the data yourself.
Piratez takes too long to finish IMO, but that's more my issue than the game's.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Well they're mutants. I didn't know that detail, I thought they were considered "humans" for capturing purposes. What I do remember is that their bosses are too fragile, which sucks as they tend to die after being whacked to the heat from excessive Stun damage, which is annoying as the leaders knows a lot of useful stuff.
Use of fans or stun batons helps with that.

oasis789

Arcane
9837b7a56b92a406e0c0570f4928368f.jpg
Keep at it and they will send the swat team
Its ok for long/mid range shooting. But in my opinion gals strength is their mobility and dashing from cover to cover or into melee range.

oasis789

Arcane
Early pogrom that you have basically no chance to win is a kind of big gamble where you pay the huge penalty up front for a chance to loot some advanced weapons. Like in your case, you had a humanist soldier with RPG in the landing zone, you might send your dog to kill him, grab the gun, and fuck off same turn. Or you might get machine guns, lasers etc. Or you might get nothing. Or you end up getting your team wiped on turn 1.

panda

Savant
Idk, with recently added catgirls you just go to pogrom at night and snipe out everything due to LOS advancement. I started new game with new patch recently, California first base, had first pogrom finished < 10 turns, kek. I'd say unless you meet rats+ghouls+armored cars it is worth the risk.
Had very good landing spot though, and the biggest problem now IS landing spot i'd say. Ever since dev decided to add windows in every single early craft, entire crew can catch missile or grenade on turn 1 through these specially drilled tactical holes(even if you decide to not come out guns blazing) without reasonable chances to counterplay.

oasis789

Arcane
I'd say unless you meet rats+ghouls+armored cars it is worth the risk.
This is the problem. By the first pogrom you don't really have anything that can penetrate the armored car. No sniper rifle, no LAW, probably not even that many grenades. You'd have to spend all your plasma ammo and I usually save that for the necro farm.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Encouraged by The Brazilian Slaughter 's piratezposting, I finally decided to give it a try. Hoo boy, am I hooked. I booted up one game and - after a great start as it felt as though a bunch of small transports wanted to roost around my base - lasted until about mid-April before realizing that I might've overspent a bit and got myself into a fiscal corner. Tried it for the second time, with much more mixed results. I thought that the tech for the interceptor heli (which is the big thing I should aim for, right?) becomes available right after researching the Big Bird, but this seems to be not the case. I did manage to fight one pogrom off, though, with the high point absolutely being two of my gals utilizing a single hammer to bash an armored car into scrap metal.

Great stuff. I love the breadth of content and not being sure what to research next.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Wait, two gals used a single hammer? What's the story there?
I assume that if it works like regular Ye Olde X-Comme, when someone runs out of TUs, they drop the hammer and someone else picks it up.
Yup, that was pretty much it. I think I got into the exact situation that was discussed right above my post, and I didn't have any options to damage that darned thing. HE grenades didn't really seem to leave that much of a dent, and since I had no heavy armaments, I tried out a hammer charge. This, surprisingly, worked, and despite the initial charger being gunned down, another gal was able to pick the hammer up and finish the job.

Gumsmith

Educated
Codex,
I went on a Highway House mission yesterday.
There was a FIELD GUN enemy
And the motherfucker would fire multi-shot reactions and fire like 14 times per turn, shooting huge explosive shells.

WHAT THE FUCK
EXPLAIN
It's the 25mm cannon you were meant to steal, blowing him up with grenades usually works

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Codex,
I went on a Highway House mission yesterday.
There was a FIELD GUN enemy
And the motherfucker would fire multi-shot reactions and fire like 14 times per turn, shooting huge explosive shells.

WHAT THE FUCK
EXPLAIN
It's the 25mm cannon you were meant to steal, blowing him up with grenades usually works
Just hope that your plane doesn't land right in front of it.

lightbane

Arcane
What the fuck. So THAT's what those "Dark Ones" are.
Well, that was a close shave. No casualties, but there was a moment we came close to the end there. Nabbed some captures, too.
Congrats, you got the surprise without getting spoilers!

There are many more surprises, and these guys are in another mod as well...

Optimist

Savant
Patron
So before yesterday I was playing and then I got a base assault out of nowhere.
"Well, its probably Academy trying to get their subjects again or someshit like that."

hahahahahahaha, NO

I was contractually obligated to mute the music and play this instead

What the fuck. So THAT's what those "Dark Ones" are.
Well, that was a close shave. No casualties, but there was a moment we came close to the end there. Nabbed some captures, too.
Fuckers are apparently daze/concussion resistant, its Necropirates all over again. Clearly, they don't panic, either. Expected, really.

Luckily, the Old Ways still work and the corridors were immensely target-riech environnts.

I'm assuming that the fact that double-barrel's report was lifted from Doom helps. Should I expect enemies to appear in random points of my base as the violence escalates? Rushing everyone to the hangars seemed to have been working for me so far. It feels like battling in the - very busy - bases that can be built up would be more of a headache here than in the base game.

I love some situations that organically arise from gameplay's mechanics here. I've had a situation where I noticed a Spartan with an RPG right behind a corner at the end of my turn, and I was already :salute: my gals. Yet it turned out that a cat of an old lady that got murderized a moment ago launched a furious scratching offensive at the fucker, and while it didn't cause any damage, it was able to distract it and - I think - even deflect a projectile so that it went into the wall right next to the guy. Really liked the mental image of a military badass flailing with a rocket launcher as a kitty assaults him.

panda

Savant
Note: Crates of Violence only work against the Field Cannon if you have a way of getting very close without getting hit. You're better off throwing fuckloads of grenades until it dies.
Few throwing spears or couple of hammer hits should do the trick way better. Also hit it from behind. There is always a building nearby. Unlike armored car hunt with a hammer(which is almost always gal suicide attraction), both this cannon and bandit dirigible's ones are sitting ducks waiting to be pummeled.
Btw, what is even the use of a ballista? I've trying to use one, seems much better to use an assault cannon instead.
Well, technically ballista can shoot underwater and can be used to launch nukes, but personally i've never had much success with it.

Gumsmith

Educated
The ballista is also a good bit more accurate than the cannon since the accuracy doubles when kneeling and it has a longer range, but I've not really used it outside of sea missions.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
In base assaults enemies always spawn in the hangers and lift but can go up or down into the tunnels and sewers from there so you need to at least cover the tunnels. The tunnels are also great for approaching the hangers safely and chucking explosives down on them.

The sewers are only there to irritate you when you need to hunt down that one dumbass that got lost there. Or in one memorable case find that the dumbass is the church cardinal and get your gals force lightninged by discount Palpatine. I'd rather they just be removed.

Norfleet

Doesn't that invalidate your goal of stealing it?

Well, technically ballista can shoot underwater and can be used to launch nukes, but personally i've never had much success with it.
You can't be serious. Firing a ballista UNDERWATER? How does that even?

panda

Savant
You can't be serious. Firing a ballista UNDERWATER? How does that even?
So, launching nukes part is fine then :-D

On slightly more serious note: they probably followed supreme logic that if crossbows can shoot underwater(and in this mod crossbows can effectively shoot underwater), than BIG CROSSBOW can shoot underwater too!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom