Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

otsego

Cipher
U7s7p4i.jpg

worf-western.jpg

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Diablo III is far from flawless, but it's pretty decent now.
"Decline" is a relative term, when it comes to shitting gold, Blizzard are still as good as ever, if not even better than before.
Who else could ask a couple of interns to make a by the numbers card trading game with unity in a couple of months and not only get away with it but also make millions with it?

From the leading dev in PC games to decent,from creating new genres to copying what is popular.If that is not decline...One thing they got is money and manpower to throw at projects so they will never be unpolished or broken,so now that is their stick "it's a moba ,but with that BLizzard polish,yo"
And that art,tone and atmosphere from the early games is totally lost.Every time I see art from newer Blizzard game I want to shoot myself
He's a talk about how the design took almost a year of iteration while they were waiting for programmers: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224101/Video_Building_the_AI_for_Hearthstone.php

Also the AI in HS is a joke,there is bots that are infinite times better and the game had the basis of the physical WoWTCG with years of development

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The AI is a joke because it was made a joke. Something I'm trying to put through in the codex but doesn't seem to stick is the fact that developers gimp boardgamey AI on purpose because a cold unbeatable machine is detrimental for most shitplayers. If you've played against those bots, or dota 1 AI maps, you should know they beat every average player without breaking a sweat but only a few stick long enough to defeat them consistently.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Also, a bot runs on your computer on your unlimited power access. Distributed AI on server also has to take into account network, CPU, memory and power consumption. "Every cycle is sacred". As he said, the team had a goal of X AIs running at the same time on a small set of virtual machines.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They never bothered to make competent AI in Hearthstone. It's fairly pointless since you can't complete daily quests against them (save for one). I'm sure they could program superior AI if they wanted. In Heroes of the Storm the current COOP AI is mediocre at best and loses to players 99.99% of the time. However, if you make a custom game there are ranks of AI with the hardest one being quite unforgiving.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
and the game had the basis of the physical WoWTCG with years of development

I'm not familiar with the WoWTCG but I can bet it's a more complicated game that would take real effort to put into those distributed systems. One of the choices in Hearthstone, if you watch the video, is that all actions happen in your turn so can be pondered by the AI, and not suffer from the real time probles of timing/asynchrony associated with others MTG. If you've played clones like Wagic, you know they prompt for interrupts for every single action an opponent does, because it's core to the game. In Hearthstone the mechanics are gimped based off those restrictions mentioned above.

It was smartly designed, but again not to cater for competitive card gamers.

Marobug

That ¡s an understatement and you know it. Let's be fair, the game is well designed for shitplaying, stable and well publitized. Just not good enough to foster real competition.

He's a talk about how the design took almost a year of iteration while they were waiting for programmers: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224101/Video_Building_the_AI_for_Hearthstone.php

Not saying none of what you said is false, just pointing out the fact that it was a really cheap production by Blizzard's (or any other AAA publisher/studio) standards and it still managed to generate millions.
Also, interesting video.

From the leading dev in PC games to decent,from creating new genres to copying what is popular.If that is not decline...One thing they got is money and manpower to throw at projects so they will never be unpolished or broken,so now that is their stick "it's a moba ,but with that BLizzard polish,yo"
And that art,tone and atmosphere from the early games is totally lost.Every time I see art from newer Blizzard game I want to shoot myself

Then again, depends on what you mean by decline. Warcraft III=leading RTS of its time, Starcraft 2=leading RTS of its time, WoW=leading MMORPG for over a decade, Heartstone=leading computer card game, Diablo III=leading, well, Diablo-like game since it's release with 12 million units sold in less than a year.
And all these game are PC exclusives or were at release in the Diablo's case.
Not saying these games are or were the best of its genre, but if it's sales and recognition we're talking about, they are definitely still one of the leading PC devs.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The AI is a joke because it was made a joke. Something I'm trying to put through in the codex but doesn't seem to stick is the fact that developers gimp boardgamey AI on purpose because a cold unbeatable machine is detrimental for most shitplayers. If you've played against those bots, or dota 1 AI maps, you should know they beat every average player without breaking a sweat but only a few stick long enough to defeat them consistently.

Come on,the AI does not know how to play the game.Here is quote from your own posted link: "During his talk, Schwab outlined how Blizzard went about creating challenging artificial intelligence for its recently-released deck battler that would present an obvious -- but not overwhelming -- threat." If challenging is not knowing basic rules and playing random cards then what is non-challenging then?Even with Naxx that have limited decks the AI does not react to what you play at all.You can't say there is no point to play against AI as custom games versus AI are one of the most desired feature in most games and they obviously put effort in it,since two expansions packs are focused on versus AI play(Naxx and the next one).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
At least you read the excerpt. Nice.

That video is before Naxx so I wouldn't know anyway. I don't even play the game, I was interested in the mechanical bits.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Not saying these games are or were the best of its genre, but if it's sales and recognition we're talking about, they are definitely still one of the leading PC devs.

Yes,bro that is what I mean.High sales=incline.

At least you read the excerpt. Nice.

That video is before Naxx so I wouldn't know anyway. I don't even play the game, I was interested in the mechanical bits.

You really expect me to watch 20 min of bullshit.Just skipped ahead and heard him say they got limited time of 18 months...:lol:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You have very unrealistic expectations of what a game is and what it takes to make one. I don't think I can help with that, sorry.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
You have very unrealistic expectations of what a game is and what it takes to make one. I don't think I can help with that, sorry.

OK it was actually interesting video,but your premise was they made the AI joke,which is not true ,he said simple to modify and competent with ramping the difficulty outside the tutorial,but not overwhelming.Not the AI that just throw cards at random what the end result is.

There is another very,very similar card game before HS -Shadow Era,so don't come with bullshit like it's uber hard to design games.It was 15 people at start so you can't say that is small team,too.GGG had 18 people when they made Path of Exile that shit all over Blizzard's Diablo 3 design team.

Zeriel

Arcane
This is an opportunistic game made off the scraps of a discarded MMO for that P2W cha-ching to fund other games. I wouldn't put it as a first class Blizzard member, same as I wouldn't with Hearthstone or their other shitty MOBA.

To be fair, the only game that really seems like "first class" in the current slate is Starcraft 2, and that's probably only because it's been a while since a big release. Heart of the Swarm was a mixed bag, both for the pros and the casuals, the singleplayer campaign was roundly mocked.

Diablo 3 was a disappointment, every new WoW expansion is incrementally a bit worse than the last, et cetera, there really hasn't been an amazing title from them for a decade.

It's a generational change, and the decline has been very slow, but its really clear that Blizzard's teams have all been replaced over time with random recruits that are no different than the grunts working at every other mainstream studio. Hence why the art style has become very samey.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I am really tired of this revisionist history being applied to StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3.

StarCraft 2 is still just as bad as it was at launch because:
a) They have not announced the plot was "just a dream" or similar retcon with the intention of properly expanding on the themes of the first game.
b) The multiplayer game still lacks an appropriate variety of unit attack ranges. There are too many ranged units.

Diablo 3 is not "good for what it is now" because the character building and item systems are shit. See: damage types. Just because you acclimated to the shit now, does not make it good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
...since two expansions packs are focused on versus AI play(Naxx and the next one).
The 'adventures' are just excuses to exact a $25 premium out of players for a subset of thirtyish cards. The 'PvE' aspect is tacked on to make it seem like there's some value added. People play through it once and maybe a second time on heroic for some minor aesthetic reward and that's it. No one plays Hearthstone for AI matches.

It's a generational change, and the decline has been very slow, but its really clear that Blizzard's teams have all been replaced over time with random recruits that are no different than the grunts working at every other mainstream studio. Hence why the art style has become very samey.
Yes. Blizzard is just a brand now. The pace of decline was initially slow but in the last few years it ramped up significantly: Hearthstone, HoTS, WoD expansion, and now Overwatch.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just what the world needs, another ugly popamole online shooter. That art style :lol: is the game targeted at people under 12?

That male character looks like a bad ripoff of:

Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath.jpg

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
On the bots thing, AI in fighting games has always been considered low tier, but there are always tool assisted players/bots and apparently now they're taking them online.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's only internal at the moment. It'll be another few months before a closed alpha/beta launches.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That art style :lol: is the game targeted at people under 12?

Didn't you see the Pixar/Disney cartoon intro? With the little kid being all exited about the spazzy female character, which is totally normal and not SJW propaganda at all. Which is what those cartoons are for the most part.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
... comparing Disney/Pixar shit... to Guilty Gear... get... the fuck... out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom