Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Delterius

Arcane
For all intents and purposes, Bloodlines was already an Action game and not a very good one at that. I'd worry more for things like the atmosphere, writing and whether people will feel the need to play with something other than horror tropes from the XX century.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh no, instead of a bad action game in this way, it could be a bad action game in a different way.

No, I killed that tentacled bitch easily.

Except maybe the werewolf, she's the creature with the most HP, with 1300. I counted.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For all intents and purposes, Bloodlines was already an Action game and not a very good one at that. I'd worry more for things like the atmosphere, writing and whether people will feel the need to play with something other than horror tropes from the XX century.
That is bad thing to say. It is similar to coming to SCL topic and saying it is OK, BG already did a action game version of D&D rules. Then compare BG to ToEE and it does look like a action game version of D&D, but... do you want SCL level of action game?

CDPR can easily make it go beyond that mental barrier that screams "this is wrong"

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't specifically want a lot sexy content. What I do want is a game made with a mindset that sexy content is not automatically a bad thing that needs to be avoided. There's a time and a place and settings were its even necessary.
Agree 100%.

Its like we've gone full circle nowadays. 15 years ago virtually everything was made to appeal to young heterosexual males. And that was bad, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But, fast forward into 2015, and we're basically being socially programmed to not-want a content for such audience. People have been bullshitted that its wrong or even shameful to want content that's made for them. What the fuck kind of world is that?
Agree here too. All I'm saying is, Bloodlines 2 or whatever can be trashy for girls and boys. Put in the stuff that caters to teenage boys! Just throw in some beefcake too, it'd be totally appropriate.

I don't think it *needs* to be biased. I think it needs not being afraid of bias. The moment writers start second-guessing themselves and adjusting things to fit modern social sensibilities, then whatever was unique about the setting is gone, and we end up with Twilight The Game instead of Coppola's Dracula The Game.
I'm into it. Like I said in my first post on the subject, I would want a Bloodlines 2 to be slutty or tasteless without the fear of disapproval from the "wife looking over the shoulder". I just think it can be done in that way and still also have "something for everyone". The setting doesn't require a male-dominant bias, and the first game didn't really have such a bias in my opinion, except for the meta thing with the posters, which was a fair call by Roguey. Throw in all the female-exploitation stuff you want, and then throw in some male-exploitation stuff too. You don't have to go full Bioware with everyone being androgynous/bisexual - you can do it simply by considering a broader audience. Women play games too, and women also like eye candy, it's just not the same eye candy. A poster of Ash really wouldn't have ruined Bloodlines.

My only problem with potential CDPotato Bloodlines is how they will popmole the mechanics.
True, but nowadays almost every last RPG developer would have done it. And for me Bloodlines were close to ideal adaptation, especially the first hub. If it would have been bigger and more reactive, VtM:B would have been just the best game ever. Among today's generation of developers I can see only CDPR managing to pull off something similar. Well, maybe also Eidos Montreal, Deus Ex HR dev team (and now I will be probably stoned to death by an angry Codex mob). But CDPR being a first and almost only choice.

InExile can make nostalgia games, but they don't have neither talent nor budget to make good visuals, and I have serious doubts about them managing to pull off proper atmosphere and an open world. Also there's a matter of SJWism, if they'd chose to explore more controversial themes, they'd need to stand up against all those concerned transwomen in gaming, and they never will do that. Even if they wanted to, they just can't do it, they are too indie and small budget to ignore this shit.

Obsidian, with semi-retired Tim Cain, Urquhart and Josh Sawer? Yeah, nope. Issue of Sawers' SJWism aside, they have all the problems of InExile, but also a supreme banalcing influence of Sawer, I always thought he's just a Weaver spirit in clever disguise. Even if they'd manage to procure the license and money, plot will be too safe and bland, no controversies whatsoever. In visual department Obsi never shined, same goes for music and sound.

Bethesda? Lol nope.

Bioware? HELL NO.

Same HELL NO STAY THE FUCK OUT goes for Mitsodas (at least until Brian will consider a divorce, lol).

Larian - God, now that would be a freaking disaster and a total tonal mismatch.

Spiders? Nope.

Only other developer from whom I'd wanted to see a oWoD game is Vault Dweller. It would have been very interesting to play something similar to AoD, but longer (and with more content), based on any oWoD franchise.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
CDPR already turned Geralt from all-conquering womanizer into monogamist, so its not like they're above diluting the setting to prepare it for mass market. Its just that they're not on American level of diluting...yet.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Obsidian, with semi-retired Tim Cain, Urquhart and Josh Sawer? Yeah, nope. Issue of Sawers' SJWism aside, they have all the problems of InExile, but also a supreme banalcing influence of Sawer, I always thought he's just a Weaver spirit in clever disguise. Even if they'd manage to procure the license and money, plot will be too safe and bland, no controversies whatsoever.

Come on now. Pillars had its fair share of heavy shit. Unless planting souls of dead babies into animal bodies is now Sesame Street material.

Come on now. Pillars had its fair share of heavy shit. Unless planting souls of dead babies into animal bodies is now Sesame Street material.
Mate, just a post ago you were complaining about lack of powerful men and all those women, who will slutily thrust their dripping vaginas in their general direction. Where in Pillars have you seen it, do pray tell?

Also, all that "heavy shit" were written in a such bland and descriptive manner, that the only moment when it felt real was a Grieving Mother's dialogue, her line about holding an absence in her hands. And we all know that the man who wrote her doesn't work for Obsi anymore. Pillars touched the themes of faith, abuse and other adult themes in a same bland manner, and almost none of it was directly tied or experienced by the main character.

Delterius

Arcane
That is bad thing to say. It is similar to coming to SCL topic and saying it is OK, BG already did a action game version of D&D rules. Then compare BG to ToEE and it does look like a action game version of D&D, but... do you want SCL level of action game?

CDPR can easily make it go beyond that mental barrier that screams "this is wrong"

Spare me. Bloodlines is an Action RPG where you click on things until they die. Progression is a matter of how many clicks you need to peel off the enemy health bar. Even if you lower your standards to 'at least its Mindless Fun', the most you can find is abusing Celerity. The best thing about Bloodlines' combat is that its over fast and doesn't get in the way of what's actually good about the game. Of course, that's not counting the areas which, and it is only natural, are hated precisely for their combat intensive nature: the Sewers and the Golden Temple.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Spare me. Bloodlines is an Action RPG where you click on things until they die. Progression is a matter of how many clicks you need to peel off the enemy health bar. Even if you lower your standards to 'at least its Mindless Fun', the most you can find is abusing Celerity. The best thing about Bloodlines' combat is that its over fast and doesn't get in the way of what's actually good about the game. Of course, that's not counting the areas which, and it is only natural, are hated precisely for their combat intensive nature: the Sewers and the Golden Temple.
News flash, pnp WoD is not about cool and complex tactical combat. Bloodlines is about as close to pnp as BG is to pnp D&D.

Delterius

Arcane
Oh, my mistake. I had no idea that Bloodlines was actually a faithful interpretation of the PnP rules. You are right. Too much of value would be lost anything was changed. All that fun, clicking away like Molyneux just released another mobile game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Among today's generation of developers I can see only CDPR managing to pull of something similar. Well, maybe also Eidos Montreal, Deus Ex HR dev team (and now I will be probably stoned to death by an angry Codex mob).
Actually, I can easily envision a Bloodlines 2 with similar gameplay to DXHR being good. I hope that Mankind Divided shows that Eidos Montreal learned from "punch hole through wall here" type level design ... and if they have, then they've shown that they can make a game that's fun to play through with different characters who may or may not have certain abilities. Apply that philosophy to Bloodlines and you have similar fun stuff: you can't get through without using some ability, but whether that's Celerity, Dementation, or Obfuscation, it all works in different ways. In terms of gameplay, DXHR and Bloodlines had a pretty similar basic blueprint, now that I think about it.

Of course I would not trust EM to nail the atmosphere. I'd want to hear a lot of talk up front from the creative lead, with example scenes showing that they could get it right.

Legion

Last edited:
News flash, pnp WoD is not about cool and complex tactical combat. Bloodlines is about as close to pnp as BG is to pnp D&D.
It really depends on a specific Storyteller. While I can agree that oWoD's combat wasn't as deep (or tedious) as GURPS or Shadowrun, or even ADnD, I've played with some Storytellers who specialized on GMing short combat sessions. We tested many interesting builds, disciplines and so on while playing them, Technocracy VS Changellings VS Garou VS Cainites, etc. etc. Now there were a couple of problems - there were many ways to cheese the fuck out of a system, there were little or no balance between various species' powers, and so on. But it was really fun, and I never forget that one Storyteller who excelled on describing combat situations. Especially he liked describe botches and was very creative in it. :negative:
Bloodlines isn't really close to PnP in terms of combat. There's many discrepancies between PnP's and VtM:B's, soak and damage system, healing damage system, skills, and many other moments. It still doesn't make it a bad game, of course.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It really depends on a specific Storyteller. While I can agree that oWoD's combat wasn't as deep (or tedious) as GURPS or Shadowrun, or even ADnD, I've played with some Storytellers who specialized on GMing short combat sessions. We tested many interesting builds, disciplines and so on while playing them, Technocracy VS Changellings VS Garou VS Cainites, etc. etc. Now there were a couple of problems - there were many ways to cheese the fuck out of a system, there were little or no balance between various species' powers, and so on. But it was really fun, and I never forget that one Storyteller who excelled on describing combat situations. Especially he liked describe botches and was very creative in it. :negative:
Bloodlines isn't really close to PnP in terms of combat. There's a discrepancy between PnP's and VtM:B's, soak and damage system, healing damage system, skills, and many other moments. It still doesn't make it a bad game, of course.
Well I probably should have said Vampire, not WoD. Compared to DnD, it was very limited. The rules and setting didn't care about combat heavy approach, 7 life and humanity system was there for a reason. And Bloodlines was 1 vampire instead of 4.

Maybe better to compare to NWN1 system that is still much better than SCL.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well I probably should have said Vampire, not WoD. Compared to DnD, it was very limited. The rules and setting didn't care about combat heavy approach, 7 life and humanity system was there for a reason. And Bloodlines was 1 vampire instead of 4.

Maybe better to compare to NWN1 system that is still much better than SCL.
I really like the combat round structure, the rules for multiple actions and the way damage works. It's a shame that those are the first things that will be lost in a CRPG adaptation.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Didn't we agree that copypasting PnP systems into video games is a bad idea? I swear I put out a memo the other day, get with the program people.

Seriously though, ideal vampire game should have a smashing action combat. To me that's just nobrainer. There's so much potential within the genre to make some cool fighting moves and shit. But given that there's no developer out there who can nail both the combat and the writing, you gotta compromise somewhere.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Didn't we agree that copypasting PnP systems into video games is a bad idea? I swear I put out a memo the other day, get with the program people.
Didn't we agree your face belongs on the way of my fists? Let's throw away a system that has been playtested for decades and use some videogame cooldown shit designed in a weekend instead.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Stainless Veteran You know exactly why you're gonna get dogpiled for suggesting EM--they popmole mechanics nearly as hard as CDPR. Even worse, they made a MGS-clone and put a Deus Ex wrapper on it--fucking design by marketing committee if I've ever fucking seen it. If EM took VtM on, it would be a fucking Crackdownlike set in a universe more closely approximating Underworld than WoD. It might be good for whatever you call that game, but it would NOT be any good with respect to WoD.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Didn't we agree your face belongs on the way of my fists?

/me casts Locust Swarm inside your anus

Let's throw away a system that has been playtested for decades and use some videogame cooldown shit designed in a weekend instead.

You're right, lets monkey down the PnP system that was already tried in a video game and was such a stellar experience.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You're right, lets monkey down the PnP system that was already tried in a video game and was such a stellar experience.
GJ making my point. Bloodlines works nothing like the original game, just same names and basic structure for stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom