Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
So it seems new skill Galvanic Field was bugged from the start which explains why my 3L Shock Nova used to apply shocks was doing about same damage as 6L Galvanic LOL. Fucking GGG, it would be funny if they didn't claim all the time how their QA are never at fault for anything...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I just did my first harvest of the league.

They've completely gutted it, just like everyone says. I usually did harvests, especially early on for the socket recoloring and easy 4/5L. And getting a few "chaos" for free every time was ok, even if I can't remember ever getting anything particularly good from it. I'm just going to ignore it for now, there is no point.

Also the Kalandra progression feels really bad when you're mostly getting 1 action per map. It was like 2 or 3x faster to get a full vaal temple than it's to get a kalandra going, and temple was more rewarding. I'm just gonna go for 8 or 10 challenges since they're easy this league and then drop it.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Week 2 over.

Still only a 2-stone gamer, because I decided to level another Elementalist after finding a Primordial Chain and the new Clayshaper. I also leveled up my poison Occultist as BF/BB first, but decided to try out Blade Vortex and haven't looked back since. Even with a sub-optimal tree Poison Blade Vortex is a joy to map with. It's like popping a balloon every couple of packs. Highly recommend unless you're already playing something like Corrupting Fever or Righteous Fire/Ignite prolif.

I have isolated myself from the community for a week just to map and blast some classic ps1 era jrpg soundtracks while doing so. It's great. Loot still drops plenty (just not as insane as Sentinel) and I'm hoarding my Lakes for until the buff.

chars.png

notables.png
watchstones.png

They've completely gutted it, just like everyone says. I usually did harvests, especially early on for the socket recoloring and easy 4/5L. And getting a few "chaos" for free every time was ok, even if I can't remember ever getting anything particularly good from it. I'm just going to ignore it for now, there is no point.
I would say it starts becoming worth again once you're rolling your yellow maps rare and upwards. It's still a strong crafting tool. I would only specc into it after Essences and Expedition however.

Also the Kalandra progression feels really bad when you're mostly getting 1 action per map.
Are you still in white maps? I'm getting 3 actions per map in reds. Also using the exile and reroll actions is free. I would try to max those out asap, so you can exile the common low tier options right at the start to maximize your chances at getting the good tiles. Once you're maxed out and constantly doing 4x5 or 5x5 Lakes 3 times per map and also blasting maps with just Alch & Go, it's pretty fast and fairly engaging.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm hoarding my Lakes for until the buff.
They already did a lake buff. You're waiting for 2nd buff?
Are you still in white maps? I'm getting 3 actions per map in reds. Also using the exile and reroll actions is free. I would try to max those out asap, so you can exile the common low tier options right at the start to maximize your chances at getting the good tiles. Once you're maxed out and constantly doing 4x5 or 5x5 Lakes 3 times per map and also blasting maps with just Alch & Go, it's pretty fast and fairly engaging.
I am trying to max those out (it's one of the challenges after all), but so far I haven't seen any of the tiles necessary. And yeah, still in white maps. I felt like I was getting 2 tile tablets pretty often before maps, but none in maps so far.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
2nd buff to Lake.png

This is from 31st August. So the patch is still coming. Although I did my initial batch after the 1st buff and it was okay. Noticeably better than before, but still way worse than Sentinel.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
View attachment 27746
This is from 31st August. So the patch is still coming. Although I did my initial batch after the 1st buff and it was okay. Noticeably better than before, but still way worse than Sentinel.
The ability to see which rooms you've already been in is deployed:
1662198051305.png

Also when I activated that breach the server ping spiked to 500ms, so I literally couldn't play the game, and by the time the game caught p I had accidentally ran 3 reflections away. Good thing There's no rewards anyway!

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yeah, but there is no mention of the buff to the occurrence of Reflecting Mist, which is what I am after. The regular tile rewards are okay, but they won't help my progression and aren't exciting. The possibility for an insane jewelry piece or the sulf-curse ring base is what I crave.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Good thing There's no rewards anyway!
ehehehehe

But in all seriousness: if the picture represents the average Lake you run, then I can see how it would feel unrewarding for you. If you go for tiles with 1+ notches, it's much better.

bad_one.png

This is one I'm currently building and I would consider this one to be "bad".

BTW: These new updated leveling uniques are a lot of fun. I don't feel like I have to grind for Hollow Palm jewel and Seven League Step anymore, because you just equip the Onslaught helmet and melt the campaign on a 6-L Spark. No fiddling with your passive tree, no gem socket constraints, almost no gear swaps! It's buttery smooth.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
But in all seriousness: if the picture represents the average Lake you run, then I can see how it would feel unrewarding for you. If you go for tiles with 1+ notches, it's much better.
I mean, I take the tiles that are offered.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Week 3 over.

Got to 24/40 challenges, but still on 2 Watchstones. Had some insane luck with Uniques.

notable.png

Usually I see these once every 2-3 Leagues. Either they got put into a more common tier or I'm just lucky. Pulled the Covenant from The Body, Soul Taker from The Void, the 4th Primordial Chain from the Delve Item div card. Most of it on Thursday, including a Paradoxica drop (but the unveils weren't bueno). It was surreal. 6-linked the Covenant on the 2nd Leo bench and got the Ailments Duration unveil on the Devouring Diadem in the same run.

6-L_from_2nd_Leo_Bench.png
Ailment_Duration_on_Diadem.png

220_res_ring.png

I've started running my Lakes now and this is the only somewhat notable ring I've gotten from them. Turns out I don't have a strong enough character to do difficulty 12+ Lakes, so I'm keeping some of them back. So far they seem much better than on launch, but still underwhelming. Really don't like what they did with Kalandra's character either. Should have kept her hidden instead. One of the most iconic characters who is tied to the most expensive currency item and she gets introduced in the "poverty league".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Week X report:
I'm level 79 in SSF, starting to do yellow maps. Found a Vinktar's Lightning staff which I threw all my jews and fuses at to make it 5L. It's terrible and I hate it, but I'm going to use it until I find a decent chest to throw currency at.
I tried pretty hard to make a tanky character this time, but I still die really fast to chaos damage. Wound up spending a bunch of passives on chaos res in the tree because it's so hard to get it on gear.

Currently at 9 challenges. Need to luck into some unique gloves and kalandra tiles (I was so close to getting a good one but didn't get a single "move entrance tile" option so I had to scuff it).
Is there a way to guarantee/increase odds of echo shrine? It's pretty cruel of GGG to lock one of the easy challenges behind such an RNG-fest. Probably going to aim at completing 12 and then maybe converting to standard to buy a final 2-4.

The league mechanic sucks and barely exists, but the challenges and challenge rewards are the best and most reasonable set GGG has ever had.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Week X report:
I'm level 79 in SSF, starting to do yellow maps. Found a Vinktar's Lightning staff which I threw all my jews and fuses at to make it 5L. It's terrible and I hate it, but I'm going to use it until I find a decent chest to throw currency at.
I tried pretty hard to make a tanky character this time, but I still die really fast to chaos damage. Wound up spending a bunch of passives on chaos res in the tree because it's so hard to get it on gear.

Currently at 9 challenges. Need to luck into some unique gloves and kalandra tiles (I was so close to getting a good one but didn't get a single "move entrance tile" option so I had to scuff it).
Is there a way to guarantee/increase odds of echo shrine? It's pretty cruel of GGG to lock one of the easy challenges behind such an RNG-fest. Probably going to aim at completing 12 and then maybe converting to standard to buy a final 2-4.

The league mechanic sucks and barely exists, but the challenges and challenge rewards are the best and most reasonable set GGG has ever had.
These stupid challenged are for weak minded fools to chase. Why do you need its rewards if the game is not fun to play? I don't even use the microshit shitsactions I got for free in the past, it means nothing if the game itself is not fun enough.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Why do you need its rewards if the game is not fun to play?
The game is fun to play though, and the challenges give some nice direction for the otherwise aimless post story game.

I use quite a few of the microtransactions I got in the past, although I have too many helmets and footprint effects.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah the challenges give you something to do beyond just building characters.
If you need that to keep you entertained maybe you have been playing it too long and need to play something else?

Some of them are actually quite fun though? Like the one a few leagues ago to do Shaper without getting hit by any of his abilities.

I agree that the RNG ones are mostly pointless.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Is there a way to guarantee/increase odds of echo shrine?
Unironically the Lake and also speccing the shrine nodes on the Atlas Passive Tree and Prayge to Jeebus Chris Wilson. Kirac can sell maps with implicits sometimes and one of those implicits can be Shrines. You can also spec a node on the Atlas Passive Tree that makes you sometimes drop maps with implicits. Unfortunately you can't set up your lootfilter to mark these, so they will look like a regular map.

The challenges represent what a regular Battle Pass system would be in other games. I like most of them, since it gives me an excuse to farm different things throughout the league. A double dip on extrinsic rewards, so to speak. Sometimes they are gay though. Like the Uber Sirus challenge last league. IMO very difficult or very rng shit should have options for you to skip. A good example would be this league's "Defeat these chomos in style" where you can skip 2 out of 5 or the Ubers challenge where you can skip 3 out of 7.

Üstad

Arcane
kcDxRfZ.png

Haven't played yet. I'm surprised someone played it 13 thousand hours and gave a bad review. What happened, recent updates really ruined the game?

PapaPetro

kcDxRfZ.png

Haven't played yet. I'm surprised someone played it 13 thousand hours and gave a bad review. What happened, recent updates really ruined the game?
The game has been changing noticeably for veteran players over the past few leagues/patches and the communications haven't been entirely honest. Long time fans feel the changes the devs are making the game unfun in favor of a vision for the game that's slower and more grindy.

Gerrard

Arcane
A while back some dude on reddit wrote a 70 page dissertation on everything that was fucked up in this update.

PapaPetro

A while back some dude on reddit wrote a 70 page dissertation on everything that was fucked up in this update.
Yeah there was a lot of autism on display over the past few weeks.
Everyone on reddit was doing their #metoo speech how the devs molested them far too long and they've had enough.

somerandomdude

Learned
Everyone on reddit was doing their #metoo speech how the devs molested them far too long and they've had enough.

The truly diehard PoE base, the no-lifers who play for 12-16hrs a day, 100% of them are autistic. Part of the reason why I haven't played this game in almost 2 years is because they made it nearly impossible to enjoy for someone who's not deep on the spectrum.

If the ass-pies are screaming this loudly, and saying that the game is dead, then maybe GGG is trying to make the game more enjoyable for people who aren't on the spectrum?

Ba'al

Scholar

The truly diehard PoE base, the no-lifers who play for 12-16hrs a day, 100% of them are autistic. Part of the reason why I haven't played this game in almost 2 years is because they made it nearly impossible to enjoy for someone who's not deep on the spectrum.

If the ass-pies are screaming this loudly, and saying that the game is dead, then maybe GGG is trying to make the game more enjoyable for people who aren't on the spectrum?
It's the opposite. A common complaint is that they're catering to the hardcore playerbase that play this for a living, while the game gets increasingly inaccessible for casual players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom