Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Defeated eater of worlds for the first time (and deathless, which is always nice). Surprisingly good boss for modern ggg. Small tentacles did low enough damage that they can be easily tanked if you have a build for it, all the big attacks had both a distinct animation and an audio queue, and the mid fight twist attack came with clear instruction of how to not get instagibbed. 7/10 boss, would fight again except I'm not grinding 28 maps for it.

Got a The Gluttonous Tide, which kinda makes me want to make some kind of bow raider build, but I probably won't.

I'm struggling hard on level 91 though, basically at net 0 xp gain due to deaths. 15k armor, 89% ele res and 75% chaos (with potion active) just ain't enough.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Defeated eater of worlds for the first time (and deathless, which is always nice). Surprisingly good boss for modern ggg. Small tentacles did low enough damage that they can be easily tanked if you have a build for it, all the big attacks had both a distinct animation and an audio queue, and the mid fight twist attack came with clear instruction of how to not get instagibbed. 7/10 boss, would fight again except I'm not grinding 28 maps for it.

Got a The Gluttonous Tide, which kinda makes me want to make some kind of bow raider build, but I probably won't.

I'm struggling hard on level 91 though, basically at net 0 xp gain due to deaths. 15k armor, 89% ele res and 75% chaos (with potion active) just ain't enough.
You are melee right? For leveling up you need to avoid high tier red maps. Do T11 and T12 at most and do T10 and T9. Find some map layouts that you enjoy and try to just do those.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here

Jaedar finally pushing into the endgame. Brings a tear to my eye.

Amethyst Flask isn't worth it for mapping. It's enough to have 0% Chaos Resist for most situations. Maxing Chaos Resist out is something you do when using it in combination with Divine Flesh or self poison. Use Jade Flask instead.

Speaking of Flasks. Are they up on every pack? If you post your char, we could go over it and see if you're making some obvious mistakes.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Endless_Nightmare_chanced.png

Took me approx 192 tries. First portal booted me out back to Beach. Classic PoE experience.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jaedar finally pushing into the endgame. Brings a tear to my eye.
It's not the first time lul, just the first time in a long while. Game is harder in SSF. Especially since they nerfed support gems.
You are melee right?
Righteous Fire. So kinda melee.

If you post your char, we could go over it and see if you're making some obvious mistakes.
I will post my char, but I will be sad if you recommend me to do things that are trivial in trade but hard in SSF.
https://pastebin.com/vMfTJCx7
(I know there are some stupid things like I could just refund one major dex node)

Gerrard

Arcane
You can respec 2 small life passives and get the Juggernaut notable instead (which is 1% more life also).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
You can respec 2 small life passives and get the Juggernaut notable instead (which is 1% more life also).
Going to do this. Also going to respec some other stuff to fit a large cluster jewel with permanent fire exposure, and 2 small mana reservation jewels so I can fit skitterbots. This lets me swap out the helmet for something with armor as well. Will be a good damage boost, but won't help that much with survival I think.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I will post my char, but I will be sad if you recommend me to do things that are trivial in trade but hard in SSF.
(I know there are some stupid things like I could just refund one major dex node)
Some suggestions:
- 1 life flask, 1 quicksilver, 1 ruby, 1 jade, 1 granite or quartz
- drop Unvawering Stance, it's bait. You have more than enough hp to not get stunned and with Brine King Major Pantheon you don't get chain stunned anyway
- work on your Syndicate and try to kick people out, until you have Gravicius in there. Farm him until he gives you his mod. Use those "phys taken as x" crafts on your body and helmet
- once you have that, try running Tempest Shield instead of Determination
- are you cursing on every pack or something? your RF damage should be more than enough to kill monsters without having to curse them
- flip your gems (1 gemcutter prism + lvl20 gem = same gem with 20% quality, but you have to relevel them)
- get a pair of 30%ms boots with life and attributes or resists. Your movespeed is very important for your survival and the extra curse isn't worth it.
- annoint your ammy with something cheap like a 30attr notable
- Rog is your friend. Try getting some hybrid armour/eva gear with suppression rolls on them

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Some suggestions:
- 1 life flask, 1 quicksilver, 1 ruby, 1 jade, 1 granite or quartz
- drop Unvawering Stance, it's bait. You have more than enough hp to not get stunned and with Brine King Major Pantheon you don't get chain stunned anyway
- work on your Syndicate and try to kick people out, until you have Gravicius in there. Farm him until he gives you his mod. Use those "phys taken as x" crafts on your body and helmet
- once you have that, try running Tempest Shield instead of Determination
- are you cursing on every pack or something? your RF damage should be more than enough to kill monsters without having to curse them
- flip your gems (1 gemcutter prism + lvl20 gem = same gem with 20% quality, but you have to relevel them)
- get a pair of 30%ms boots with life and attributes or resists. Your movespeed is very important for your survival and the extra curse isn't worth it.
- annoint your ammy with something cheap like a 30attr notable
- Rog is your friend. Try getting some hybrid armour/eva gear with suppression rolls on them
I should anoint yes. I forgot this was a thing and I have a decent amount of the cheap oils. I curse on rares (if needed, usually isn't but sometimes they have bad mods) and bosses. It's also faster to drop a curse than fire trap, so sometimes I do that if the pack doesn't die fast enough (some blue packs need extra).
Anyway, fairly major update: https://pastebin.com/tTFXt19P
I might consider dropping unwavering stance, but I like stun immunity.
The extra curse is like 25% more damage (except often more in practice cause things are usually softened by corpse explosions), you're going to have to argue harder to get me to drop 25% more damage.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I might consider dropping unwavering stance, but I like stun immunity.
Just try it out with a Jade flask for a couple of maps. Trust me, Unwavering Stance is shit.

The extra curse is like 25% more damage (except often more in practice cause things are usually softened by corpse explosions), you're going to have to argue harder to get me to drop 25% more damage.
You deal 0% damage when dead. 30% ms boots (and a quicksilver flask) will make you survive and make you progress more than 30% faster compared to your current setup. That damage increase from Punishment is situational, while the movement speed is going to help you do everything.

No wonder you think the grind is too much. Anyone would feel that way if forced to play on such a low speed.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
No wonder you think the grind is too much. Anyone would feel that way if forced to play on such a low speed.
Didn't take you for such a zoomer :M
Shield charging everywhere doesn't feel that slow(if I moved through packs much faster they wouldn't die in time, especially during delirum or blue packs), but I do think that the game feels best to play at about +70-100% ms. I'll probably swap out the chaos res flask, since I have good/great base chaos res anyway.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Didn't take you for such a zoomer
Bro, this isn't zoomer. 30ms and quicksilver is the absolute baseline. Also your Shield Charge isn't even linked to Faster Attacks. I guess you can't make a donkey drink water. Suit yourself, but don't complain about progression being too slow in the game when you're actively avoiding the speed upgrades the game gives you.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Didn't take you for such a zoomer
Bro, this isn't zoomer. 30ms and quicksilver is the absolute baseline. Also your Shield Charge isn't even linked to Faster Attacks. I guess you can't make a donkey drink water. Suit yourself, but don't complain about progression being too slow in the game when you're actively avoiding the speed upgrades the game gives you.
idk mang, I'm clearing high tier red maps in 5-10 minutes (depending on the map, how much content spawns, etc).
Having to clear 28 maps to fight a single boss will feel grindy to me even if it took 2 minutes to do a map.

Item progression doesn't feel as bad with at T16 maps, I'm getting a decent amount of harvest juice, oils, etc when I do that content. Maybe it's because I did a lot of map tiers without doing any item upgrades, or maybe it's just the way that GGG tuned the system. I got an einhar essence memory, which is rippy as fuck but the crafting is pretty nice.

I think I'll gather enough simulacrum shards for a run at that*, but after that I suspect I will get bored. I don't think I'll end up fighting maven (have fun doing like 50 maps to gather enough fragments), and the odds of rng'ing together shaper/elder/conquerer guardians isn't looking good either.

*I'm at like 250 now, having spent all my atlas points on delirium bonuses for the entire league. Totally reasonable progression pace! If I consume all my deli orbs I think I'll get there without much issue though, but that's still 100+ maps of gathering

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Having to clear 28 maps to fight a single boss will feel grindy to me even if it took 2 minutes to do a map.
But you're not just fighting a boss, you've also cleared 28 maps at that point (24 on average with the perk) including all the content that spawned in it. And if you're really only after the boss, you can do 2+ invitations per hour with a Wandering Path strategy which still gives you a ton of other good stuff on top of the boss invitation.

I think I'll gather enough simulacrum shards for a run at that*, but after that I suspect I will get bored. I don't think I'll end up fighting maven (have fun doing like 50 maps to gather enough fragments), and the odds of rng'ing together shaper/elder/conquerer guardians isn't looking good either.
It has never been easier to get access to Maven, Guardians, Cortex etc with the Destructive Play Keystone. You don't even have to wait for the influence to spawn, you just beeline to the boss and reap the rewards.
*I'm at like 250 now, having spent all my atlas points on delirium bonuses for the entire league. Totally reasonable progression pace! If I consume all my deli orbs I think I'll get there without much issue though, but that's still 100+ maps of gathering
I mean, I can imagine how many shards you get per map on average with your turtle style. I had to farm 7 Simulacrums by myself for one of the challenges. If you do it properly, you can be getting 100 shards per map on Beach/Strand. You can get more on Tropical Island, but that doesn't have a good connected map. That said, Simulacrum is shit content compared to everything else available in the game rn. It's slow, boring and the loot is nothing to write home about.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
That said, Simulacrum is shit content compared to everything else available in the game rn.
Yeah, but I've never done it so I wanna do it.
If you do it properly, you can be getting 100 shards per map on Beach/Strand.
I'm sure you can, but I don't think my character can survive a megajuiced 100% delirious T16 map. Also I don't even have enough voidstones to make them T16 yet lul.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm sure you can, but I don't think my character can survive a megajuiced 100% delirious T16 map.
You don't 100% via orbs, you run the Delirium Mirror instead. You just go as far and deep as you can. I wasn't able to complete a t16 at first either with all the passives making it so difficult, but eventually you'll be able to do it. The important part is to juice the map with Breach/Strongboxes/Blight (only with the Notable that spawns extra monsters and spawns them quicker)/Abyss/Elder Scarab/Ritual. The map will take longer to clear, but it's a much more efficient way of getting splinters compared to spending 5-10 minutes on half empty maps. I would save the orbs and swap them all to Divination and Skittering ones with Harvest.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
What's the slot to the left of your life flask?
It's a Heist Trinket. They mainly affect only Heist, but some can give increased Rogue Marker gain in maps as well (I have a dedicated trinket for Heists and one for mapping that I swap between). It's also useful for putting 1 extra Incubator on it.

You can unlock the slot by interacting with the McGuffin at the end of a Thieve's Trinket BP:

trinket BP.png

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It's a Heist Trinket. They mainly affect only Heist, but some can give increased Rogue Marker gain in maps as well (I have a dedicated trinket for Heists and one for mapping that I swap between). It's also useful for putting 1 extra Incubator on it.

You can unlock the slot by interacting with the McGuffin at the end of a Thieve's Trinket BP:

View attachment 41507
Ah ok thx, haven't been doing any heists, should probably look into it at some point.

ArchAngel

Arcane

View attachment 41507
Ah ok thx, haven't been doing any heists, should probably look into it at some point.
Heist is decent for pure currency but shit for everything else. Also boring. There are also some unique mods on items you can get there (like wand with implicit that gives you random charges every X seconds) and some unique items that are 99% useless.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Fought searing exarch. Not a huge fan of this boss. Most of his moveset is trivial to dodge (and doesn't even deal that much damage if you don't dodge it), but the fire orb spam wave got rally tricky the second time he cast it, even if I had 300% movement speed I don't think I could parse the area and click precisely enough for it. Would probably be trivial with better movement skills (frostblink and shield charge are both poor for this kind of thing), but that's also not gud.

Did a simulacrum (got 60 splinters from a single T11 map that I found with 60% delirium). The first waves were entirely trivial and then around wave 17 or so everything just did too much damage and it was impossible to see anything so I just spammed movement skills and prayed (I used all 6 portals, but I did level up before I started dying).
Not sure how this area works, it says area level 75 the entire time but I don't think I'd have this much trouble with a T8 map at 100% delirium so there must be something else going on (I suspect the +X level to items drop modifier is also a monster level modifier? 100% delirious T16 enemies being able to oneshot me makes perfect sense). Did kill both kosis and omniphobia once so at least I can check it off the bucketlist. I do see Kjaska point about movement after this encounter though, there was a lot of random hindering going on and it dropped my ms low enough that I just instantly died (although sometimes I also got stuck on enemies because shield charge is fiddly and I don't have phasing).

Threw some currency at a random item so I'm at 12 challenges, not sure if I want to continue playing now. Gathering enough mavens, guardians, etc for more bosses seems more tedious than fun.

Maybe If I play another build? I have 2 heartbound loops but I'm not sure if its viable to put together a spellcast loop in SSF (it also seems to require an awful lot of math). Have both breath of the council and cane of unravelling so some kind of chaos build also seems viable (obviously can't use both at once). Some kind of rampage raider? I have lots of essences for obvious reasons so should be easy to craft some decent claws or something (and rampage is always FUN).

I feel like I got a lot of minion uniques, also have baron and maw of mischief. aukunas will corpse explosion ? Tawmr isley animate weapon? I have an araakalis fang but I think it's no longer considered good and anyway you need 2?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Not sure how this area works, it says area level 75 the entire time
Before each wave you can look at the mods it will have and it also shows you how many +levels the monsters get. Delirium also scales the damage resistance the mobs get. I think wave 20 is 90% resistance and wave 30 is either 95% or 99%, don't remember.
I have an araakalis fang
Wat!? That's a sick drop. You should totally make the build. It still slaps and you might not get the chance again in SSF for many leagues.

I finally tried out the Wandering Path boss rush strat and I have to say you gotta try it to believe how fun and good it is. The best part about it is that you don't need a very strong character or any investment for it really. It's amazing for getting master missions, maps, invitations and all sorts of loot from it. I was running it with Harvest and while it slowed me down a lot, I also was coming out of a map with 300-900 juice. Highly recommended.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Before each wave you can look at the mods it will have and it also shows you how many +levels the monsters get.
Ah. Yeah I suspected this, but the tooltip says "+3 to level of items dropped" or something like that so I got confused.

Wat!? That's a sick drop. You should totally make the build. It still slaps and you might not get the chance again in SSF for many leagues.
Got any tips for how to make it? All the builds seem to be outdated.
I guess I will run Ancient skull (since I have it) + fang? And the idea is to scale both minion and your own poison damage? Or is it pure minion damage and just trying to have a way to start the spider swarm?
Will need to ponder this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom