Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That build he posted has some good AB/AC though and lvl 9 spells.

I think I'm imagining a NWN cleric that can cast divine power and it will give them the same AB as a fighter and they walk around casting implosion with magic resist.

Is there spell mantle on pathfinder? That was a good spell too.
The problem is that those bonus feats are restricted to feats that are (mostly) shit. The loss of a domain is bad enough, but one less spell per day? Fuck that shit. Just be a normal Cleric and still own just as much.

Evidence, how does it work?

Can always count on Yosh for the Fextralife day or release level takes.

Weapon Focus, Shield Bash, and Improved Crit are all essential feats for Shield Bashing since Bashing Finish triggers on crits and you need Focus to get Shatter to land your bazillion iteratives all beefed up by the best self-buffs in the game.

Meanwhile you're blowing your feats trying to make your 3/4 BAB Cleric a crappy Sorc.

Yosharian

Arcane
Heavy Armor Proficiency, Improved Shield Bash, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Saving Shield, Shield Focus, Tower Shield Proficiency, and Weapon Focus*.

10th level: Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Greater Shield Focus, Greater Weapon Focus*, Improved Critical*, Shield Slam, Shield Specialization, and Weapon Specialization*.

20th level:Greater Shield Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization*
Two things I'll establish before diving into individual feats:
1) Alchemist Infusion means you can give everyone who needs it a +4 Shield bonus to AC. For a Level 1 spell. The duration of which starts off relatively short but quickly becomes quite decent. Whether or not this ability is balanced or not is irrelevant - the value of all other abilities must be evaluated on the basis that the Shield AC they bring to the table is effectively useless unless it can surpass the bonus the spell provides.

2) Two-weapon fighting with shields is only a good tactic if Shield AC is useful enough to warrant its use over either traditional TWF or Power Attacking with a 2H. Since TWF is less effective than PA 2H anyway, if Shield AC from an actual shield then becomes redundant because of infused Shield spells, then the whole strategy becomes very underpowered compared to other choices. Shield TWF isn't bad per se, it's just very underwhelming compared to other options. TWF in general becomes sorta competitive if you have access to a bunch of Sneak Attack dice, which the Cleric doesn't get, but once you come up against Damage Reduction, PA 2H starts to pull ahead quite significantly. Also Two-Weapon Rend, which is a really nice TWF feat that helps reduce the gap between TWF and 2H, is missing from Kingmaker.

The shit feats
  • Heavy Armor Proficiency: it's really inefficient to spend an entire feat on Heavy Armor in Pathfinder, and HA itself is a dubious value proposition. The only reason it's somewhat decent in Kingmaker is because of Onslaught being so good, buit even so, you should try to pick it up with a multiclass dip instead.
  • Improved Shield Bash: it's astonishing that one has to spend an entire feat simply to not lose AC while shield bashing. Good thing Kingmaker doesn't require it, but still.
  • Martial Weapon Proficiency: again, a very wasteful way to gain this ability. This feat is sometimes necessary, but it's not something you want to spend a feat on unless it's absolutely necessary.
  • Saving Shield: absolute trash. +2 Shield is a drop in the ocean. That's before even considering that your ally almost certainly already has a +4 Shield bonus to his AC. That said, this feat isn't even in Kingmaker.
  • Shield Focus: a feat for +1 AC is appalling value. I'd only get this feat if I had nothing better to get.
  • Tower Shield Proficiency: again, not something you want to spend a feat on unless it's absolutely necessary. And Tower Shields are awful.
  • Greater Shield Focus: see Shield Focus.
  • Shield Slam: bull rushes can be quite useful in PnP, but in a CRPG they're rather useless. I can't bull rush an opponent off a cliff, or into a pit of lava.
  • Shield Specialization: a pathetic defensive bonus vs crits and a moderate bonus to CMD. Wow. Just what I look for in a feat. If it were implemented in Kingmaker, it would be a poor feat.
  • Greater Shield Specialization: the ability to negate a critical hit is quite useful in PnP, where you face a reasonable amount of fights in an adventuring day. In Kingmaker, where you face 10x the normal amount of fights, the amount of incoming crits just makes this really poor. Again, if it were implemented in Kingmaker.

The not-so-shit feats
  • Exotic Weapon Proficiency: basically +1-2 damage for a feat. The dimension of this feat changes somewhat when you consider Kingmaker's itemization, so it's not quite so bad. Also there's very few ways to pick up this feat by multiclassing, so sometimes it's needed.
  • Weapon Focus: not a bad early game feat, and it's a prerequisite for many great feats such as Shatter Defenses.
  • Greater Weapon Focus: I'd only get this feat if I had nothing better to get. It's not so bad, but not great, and isn't a prerequisite for other feats like its predecessor.
  • Improved Critical: good feat, but only if you're using a weapon with a good crit range (at least 19-20, preferably 18-20). Also some weapons come with Keen already. Still, one of the better feats in the list.
  • Weapon Specialization: a reasonably good feat, but again, I'd only get this feat if I had nothing better to get.
  • Greater Weapon Specialization: a reasonably good feat, but again, I'd only get this feat if I had nothing better to get.

The two feats that are the best from the whole shield TWF line are:
  • Shield Master: you get +2 to attack rolls when you attack with your shield (effectively) and you get to apply your shield's enhancement to attack and damage rolls. This is a great feat for your shield bashing antics.
  • Bashing Finish: a free attack with your shield whenever you crit. If your main weapon has a 15-20 crit range then this can be a very nice damage feat, essentially it's 25% chance to get an extra attack every time you attack with your main hand.
And Crusader doesn't get those. It also doesn't get to dive into TWF without the necessary Dex requirements, which Ranger does. Nearly all the best weapons in Kingmaker lack the Agile quality, so if you're looking to maximise damage, you ideally want to have Strength as your main attribute. Having to reach 19 Dexterity isn't a huge deal given the ridiculous magic items Kingmaker hands out, but it's an extra headache you'd rather not have to deal with if your primary stat is Strength. You could even dump Dex to 8 (or 7, if you're a total min-maxer) if you weren't worrying about that 19 Dex requirement and planned on wearing heavy armor, since then the +8 belt brings you up to a very respectable 16 Dex, which is perfect for Onslaught.

And remember you are giving up an entire Domain for this, which could be +2 AC/Attack for the entire team, including pets (Nobility), an utterly broken boss fight spell and tons of extra healing (Community), or a freaking animal companion (Animal). AND you are giving up 1 spell per level which is almost worse than a Fighter 1 dip.

Overall the thing that strikes me most about this is just how bad some of the feats in Pathfinder are, to the point where they are almost trap feats that serve no purpose other than to appeal to role-players who want to 'feel' like they're getting the most out of their shield. If these feats weren't so bad, then by extension the Crusader wouldn't feel so underwhelming.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
The Cleric spell list in Kingmaker at 7th-9th levels:

7th
Arbitrament, Bestow Grace of the Champion, Blasphemy, Cure Serious Wounds (Mass), Create Undead, Destruction, Dictum, Holy Word, Inflict Serious Wounds (Mass), Jolting Portent, Restoration (Greater), Summon Greater Elemental, Summon Monster VII, Umbral Strike, Word of Chaos, Waves of Ecstasy

8th
Angelic Aspect (Greater), Fire Storm, Cloak of Chaos, Cure Critical Wounds (Mass), Death Clutch, Euphoric Tranquility, Frightful Aspect, Holy Aura, Inflict Critical Wounds (Mass), Shield of Law, Stormbolts, Summon Elder Elemental, Summon Monster VIII, Unholy Aura

9th
Energy Drain, Heal (Mass), Overwhelming Presence, Polar Midnight, Summon Monster IX

The key buff spells at each level (from the perspective of a character who hits things in melee):

• Bestow Grace of the Champion: short duration, and the only really decent ability scales off Charisma which isn't likely to be your best stat. Also, not Personal range.
  • Greater Angelic Aspect: Evil DR is pretty good in Kingmaker. Immunity to Acid and Cold is situational at best. Electricity and Fire resist 10 is easily achieved with a level 3 spell. Deflection and resistance bonuses should be covered by items already or other spells such as Shield of Faith. The best thing about this spell is the DR, but for an 8th-level spell that's pretty disappointing.
  • Cloak of Chaos: almost useless in Kingmaker considering how many chaotic enemies you face.
  • Frightful Aspect: a very good spell, however other people on your team probably have it, so it's not necessary for YOU to have it in order to inflict Shaken on enemies, and the other bonuses can be achieved by allies casting Legendary Proportions on you. Spell Resistance can come from the 5th level spell.
  • Shield of Law: a very nice spell in Kingmaker, but its range isn't Personal, so allies can cast it for you. Also is protective in nature rather than offensive - it doesn't boost your offense other than keeping you safe (which of course means you can deal damage).
That's pretty much it. Personally this doesn't strike me as a very good list for a Cleric looking to become an offensive powerhouse in melee. If you compare these advantages (what little there are) against the alternatives that you get from maining Inquisitor, a class which gets Divine Power (the best Cleric spell for boosting physical damage), there's really no comparison. And Inquisitor also gets triple Judgment, Greater Bane... and if you go Tactical Leader (which you should), you can give your Judgment bonuses to another ally for 1 minute... that's crazy value.

Ultimately the ideal melee Cleric uses a Reach weapon and strikes a balance between "I deal damage in melee" "I cast buffs" and "I heal allies". Trying to focus in one of those areas to the exclusion of the others flies in the face of the class' strengths, in my opinion, and you're better off with a different class if that's your goal.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Energy drain is cool but it is no implosion. That shit was godly.

Hey Yosh I noticed you updated your PC build to use twin snakes instead of the greataxe also it gets flurry. How does it stack up vs the Monk 11/Pal3/Twohanded fighter I just cleared the game with? I was doing about 50 DMG a hit.

Yosharian

Arcane
As an aside, here's what I did with some of these feats in my homebrew in order to make them less shit:

* Improved Critical: if a character takes this feat and uses a weapon with the Keen quality, whenever they roll to confirm a critical hit, they roll with advantage.

* Weapon Focus: every time a character with this feat gains a new iterative attack, the bonus granted by this feat increases by 1.

* Weapon Specialization: every time a character with this feat gains a new iterative attack, the bonus granted by this feat increases by 2.

* Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization: every time you gain a level, you may change the weapon affected by this feat to another weapon that you are proficient with. If you do this, you must also change any pre-requisite feats to the new weapon, as well as any feats that have these feats as pre-requisites.

* Greater Weapon Focus: now grants advantage on attack rolls instead of a +1 bonus.

* Greater Weapon Specialization: now grants advantage on damage rolls instead of a +2 bonus. This only applies to the base damage roll, not additional damage dice. In addition, whenever a 1 is rolled, re-roll the die.

* Shield Focus: every time a character with this feat gains a new iterative attack, the bonus granted by this feat increases by 1. Also grants proficiency in all shields, including tower shields.

* Greater Shield Focus: this feat no longer provides a direct bonus to Shield AC. Instead, it doubles the bonus provided by the Shield Focus feat.

* Shield Specialization: this feat functions as before, except that you may choose a new type of shield each time you gain a level. In addition, you may add your entire shield bonus (including the bonus from Shield Focus and including enhancement bonuses) to your CMD.

* Greater Shield Specialization: this feat functions as before, except that you may choose a new type of shield each time you gain a level. If you do so, you must also change the shield type chosen for Shield Specialization.

Desiderius

Patron
Now that's what I'm talking about! Good work Yosh. Now let's move from Theory-crafting to practice.

(1) Your list is inaccurate. That's the difference between testing shit in the game and theory-crafting. There is no Improved Shield Bash in game. If you Bash with Shield you don't lose AC.
(2) Your infinite Shield spell theory requires (a) playing an Alchemist (b) forgoing all the other valuable buffs he has at lvl one and (c) either burning all your extend rods or resting more often than I'd like, even at higher lvls. My timer is Bard Performances, which is usually 20-25 min.
(3) Single target min/lvl buffs end up being tedious to cast 3/4 times over and over. If you have a Vivi and a Pet that's two already. Big opportunity cost to not just going ahead and playing with a Shield.
(3) There are in fact several Large Shields which beat the Shield spell starting in Lone House at the beginning of Ch 2. The Shield Artisan is up shortly thereafter.
(4) Two-handed is not in fact better than two-weapon if you're playing in a field of +20 dam per hit, and there's no reason not to be. The only reason to go Two-handed is if you're restricted to Standard Actions (say you have a good Move Action ability), don't have enough feats/DEX for Two-weapon, or want the most bang for the buck on AoOs and/or want to use Reach. TWF PA is the way to go all things equal. Crusader alone has the feats to get there (while also keeping it's AC decent enough for melee), which is what makes it viable.

The Feats:
  • Heavy Armor Proficiency: I was a big splasher when the game came out, but have slowly come around to the idea getting to the high level shit as fast as possible. There are a couple Heavies I like to have someone around to wear, and if there's no one else you could do worse than getting this at lvl 15, especially if you roll a Dwarf. It's nice on Harrim.
  • Improved Shield Bash: it's astonishing that you put this much effort into evaluating a class and don't even bother to make it to the first step of character creation:
Crusader Character Creation.jpg

Improved Bash not in game.
  • Martial Weapon Proficiency: similar to Heavy, bad fit for Crusader since you're aiming for a specific weapon to get that sweet wide crit range for Improved Crit. Just take Exotic and get what you really want.
  • Saving Shield: again not in game. C'mon man. Talk tabletop with you PnP buds. I'll leave out the rest of the extra feats.
  • Shield Focus: totally agree, complete garbage
  • Tower Shield Proficiency: Tower Shields not awful, several great ones in game, but not for bashers.
  • Shield Master: the whole class builds toward this (which is bugged currently to give you an extra +4 to hit) and the following
  • Bashing Finish: with Brilliant Inspiration (Nobility Domain at lvl 11 if you stay straight Cleric) it triggers 7/16ths of the time which ends up nearly two extra attacks per round by your third iterative on your main.
  • Exotic Weapon Proficiency: not a bonus feat, but you're missing the whole point of exotic. It's for getting things you can't get anywhere else. See below for what make's Lion's Claw special.
  • Weapon Focus: not a bad early game feat, and it's a prerequisite for many great feats such as Shatter Defenses.
  • Greater Weapon Focus: isn't a prerequisite for other feats like its predecessor. Garbage.
  • Improved Critical: again, missing the point. You choose the weapon you need to use this to get to 15-20 for Bashing Finish
  • Weapon Specialization: outclassed by the sheer quantity of damage boosts in this game unfortunately. Usually a solid feat in these sorts of games. Still, with nine attacks plus AoOs shit adds up
  • Greater Weapon Specialization: end up with this at lvl 20. Could do worse.
You use your extra feats for prereqs to get to/get the most out of Shield Master and Bashing Finish. You can use equipment to get the DEX you need. The issue is getting enough feats and giving up beating saves/penetrating resistance is how you free them up in addition to the free feats Crusader provides. Plays a lot like a Vivi, except you get full Channeling, Frightful Aspect, Archon's Aura, Spontaneous Healing, +5 Shield of Faith, a +6/+6 Divine Favor/Power, +4 Magical Vestment, Eaglesoul, Inspiring Command, Greater Heroism, etc, etc...

Lion's Claw (Falcata with 18-20 x3 crit range): to evaluate the benefit of different crit ranges you multiply the range by the multiplier* then add the non-crit range and divide by twenty. So a 20(x2) weapon would be (2 +19)/20 = 105% of normal damage. Lion's Claw with Improved Crit is 15-20 (3) so (18+14)/20 = 32/20 = 160% of normal damage, plus trigger another attack with Bashing Finish with maximum frequency and available by beginning of Ch. 5.

* - multiply by confirmation chance if that's a factor

Bonus Feat list.jpg

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Energy drain is cool but it is no implosion. That shit was godly.

Hey Yosh I noticed you updated your PC build to use twin snakes instead of the greataxe also it gets flurry. How does it stack up vs the Monk 11/Pal3/Twohanded fighter I just cleared the game with? I was doing about 50 DMG a hit.
Yeah Implosion was insane.

I decided that the extra (full BAB) attack, combined with the benefit of dealing Force damage (which is quite the advantage against certain enemies) made up for the decrease in crit damage from Vanquisher. Probably Vanquisher will outdamage it in terms of pure damage output, but when you look at effective damage output, especially since you get that extra attack at all stages of the game (whereas Vanquisher only comes in once you loot it), I think it's fine. The thing is, those megacrits are wasted if the monster is almost dead, you know?

How does it stack up against your build... I have no idea. It's primarily an AC tank and saving throw beast, and only secondly a damage dealer.

Yosharian

Arcane
If your argument is "I want to play TWF Shield because I can't be bothered to cast one more Shield spell on my tank", then that's your opinion but respectfully I disagree.

If your argument is "the Shield spell is too short to rely on", then that's your opinion but respectfully I disagree.

If your argument is "There's this neat shield that outperforms the Shield spell by a couple of points" then I don't think that's a good reason for an entire character build. Even a +5 Tower Shield is only 5 more points than the spell. Hardly game-breaking. And such a shield would not be available for 90% of the time, unlike the spell.

I don't particularly disagree with your other points. Still think Crusader is a shit archetype.

Desiderius

Patron
If your argument is "I want to play TWF Shield because I can't be bothered to cast one more Shield spell on my tank", then that's your opinion but respectfully I disagree.

If your argument is "the Shield spell is too short to rely on", then that's your opinion but respectfully I disagree.

If your argument is "There's this neat shield that outperforms the Shield spell by a couple of points" then I don't think that's a good reason for an entire character build. Even a +5 Tower Shield is only 5 more points than the spell. Hardly game-breaking. And such a shield would not be available for 90% of the time, unlike the spell.

I don't particularly disagree with your other points. Still think Crusader is a shit archetype.

She's not your tank, she doesn't have Image. She's your hammer. She hits like a truck, especially when you need her to in hard fights with the Cleric self-buffs, and she's a far better use of the Cleric slot than Healbot or shitty Sorc. Beating saves on Unfair requires a boatload of feats far shittier than the ones you refuse to even test here.

You're looking at things too much in a vacuum. The reason for the entire build is to use the best in game Cleric self-buffs to their fullest extent while making the best of a utility class that you pretty much need on your team.

And yeah, Shield spell spam gets old, has a substantial opportunity cost, and you miss out on the utility of the enchantments on the in-game shields.

Yosharian

Arcane
Fighter 20
Race: Tiefling (Motherless - Qlippoth-Spawn)
Alignment: NE
Point buy: 20
  • STR: 19 (+2) [+5 increase = 22]
  • DEX: 15
  • CON: 12
  • INT: 10 (-2)
  • WIS: 10 (+2)
  • CHA: 08
Skills: 2/level
  • Athletics: skill checks
  • Perception: essential skill
Camp role: Guard

Endgame Equipment:
  • Main Hand: Blinding Light (+5 Estoc, 18-20x3, chance to Blind on hit)
  • Offhand: Ravena's Oath (+5 Heavy Shield, 1d6 stacking Bleed on hit)
  • Armor: Onslaught (+5 Mithral Full Plate, +8 Enh. to Strength, +20 Enh. bonus to move speed)
  • Belt: Conqueror Wyrm (+8 Enh. to Constitution)
  • Feet: Owlbear Skin Boots (Slow/Paralyze/Entangle/Difficult Terrain immunity)
  • Gloves: Gloves of Dueling (+2 to Weapon Training bonus)
  • Head: Stubborn Head (+4 Enh. to Dexterity, +3 Natural Armor bonus)
  • Neck: Amulet of Evil Doom (DR 10/Good)
  • Ring1: Ring of Protection +5 (+5 Deflection bonus to AC)
  • Ring2: Fortunate Fencer (+2 to melee attack rolls)
  • Shoulders: Charred Mantle (+6 Resistance to saves, Fear/Confusion immunity)
  • Wrist: Golden Vision (+2 untyped bonus to saves vs Illusion spells)
Immunities: Slow, Paralyze, Entangle, Difficult Terrain, Fear, Confusion

Buff Spells Breakdown:
  • 10 Min/level Buffs: Heroism/Heroic Invocation
  • Min/level Buffs: Legendary Proportions, Death Ward, Spell Resistance
  • Round/level Buffs: Displacement/Greater Invisibility, Haste
  • Other Buffs: Inspire Courage, Inspire Heroics
Feats & Abilities (*: bonus feat, italics: important ability):
L01 Fighter 1: Power Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting*
L02 Fighter 2: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Estoc)*
L03 Fighter 3: Weapon Focus (Estoc)
L04 Fighter 4: Outflank*
L05 Fighter 5: Dazzling Display
L06 Fighter 6: Shatter Defenses*
L07 Fighter 7: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L08 Fighter 8: Shield Bash*
L09 Fighter 9: Improved Critical (Estoc)
L10 Fighter 10: Blind-Fight*
L11 Fighter 11: Shield Master
L12 Fighter 12: Bashing Finish*
L13 Fighter 13: Penetrating Strike
L14 Fighter 14: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting*
L15 Fighter 15: Critical Focus
L16 Fighter 16: Greater Penetrating Strike*
L17 Fighter 17: Staggering Critical
L18 Fighter 18: Critical Mastery*
L19 Fighter 19: Sickening Critical or Blinding Critical
L20 Fighter 20: Greater Weapon Specialization (Estoc)*, Weapon Mastery (Estoc)

AC Bonus Breakdown:
  • +10: Basic AC bonus
  • +4: Dexterity bonus [19 Dexterity] (15 base, +4 Enhancement)
  • +3: Natural Armor bonus [Stubborn Head]
  • +6: Size bonus to Natural Armor [Legendary Proportions spell]
  • +5: Enhancement to Natural Armor [Amulet of Natural Armor +5]
  • +5: Deflection bonus [Ring of Protection +5]
  • +1: Dodge bonus [Haste spell]
  • +4: Dodge bonus [15th level Bard Song - Inspire Heroics]
  • +7: Shield bonus [Ravena's Oath]
  • +9: Armor bonus [Full Plate]
  • +5: Enhancement to Armor [Onslaught]
  • -2: Size penalty [Legendary Proportions spell]
  • Total Armor Class: 57
  • Touch Armor Class: 22

Endgame Ability Scores (fully-buffed):
  • STR: 38 (24 base +8 Enhancement +6 Legendary Proportions)
  • DEX: 19 (15 base +4 Enhancement)
  • CON: 24 (12 base +8 Enhancement +4 Legendary Proportions)
  • INT: 10 (10 base)
  • WIS: 10 (10 base)
  • CHA: 08 (8 base)

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • Shield Slam: bull rushes can be quite useful in PnP, but in a CRPG they're rather useless. I can't bull rush an opponent off a cliff, or into a pit of lava.
Well, you will be able to in Baldur's Gate 3 :smug:

Sorry for the shitpost, I am actually interested in what you guys are discussing, but I couldn't resist

Desiderius

Patron
Battering Blasting dudes into Acid Pits is one of my favorite things to do with Octavia.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Tried out the str dual wield vivisectionist it is okay I guess. Soloed bane of the living with and without transformation powerattack is turned on.

HCzRFRX.jpg

The this build probably needs some fine tuning though it has cleaving finish too (and no wings). One really cool thing you can do if you don't need to cast shield is have your level 1 slot full of true strike for use with lesser quickened wands. Also I'm not sure the stats are optimal though.

Desiderius

Patron
Those are both solid Shield Bashers and may well be marginally better than using weapons. Certainly look like fun.

The point of the Crusader build is not the OPest Shield Basher in the game (those builds don't have a constant field of -2 attack/save/AC for all enemies in 20ft either) but the best (at worse a viable) way to leverage the best in game Cleric self-buffs (by doubling them up without sacrificing too much survivability + lategame Bashing Finish) to provide solid action economy for a class which typically struggles with that (i.e. healing in combat, weak DC narrow offensive spells, or plinking ineffectually with an xbow).

Also depends on your group makeup whether you need a solid off-tank good DPS or not.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tried out the str dual wield vivisectionist it is okay I guess. Soloed bane of the living with and without transformation powerattack is turned on.

HCzRFRX.jpg

The this build probably needs some fine tuning though it has cleaving finish too (and no wings). One really cool thing you can do if you don't need to cast shield is have your level 1 slot full of true strike for use with lesser quickened wands. Also I'm not sure the stats are optimal though.
That looks nice, good job.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Here's the build so far. Looking for input any feats I can shuffle around.

1 Scaled Fist 3 Paladin 16 Vivisectionist
Race: Asimar (Angelkin)

Alignment: LG
STR: 18 (+2) +4
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 14
WIS: 07
CHA: 17 (+2) +1 at level 4

Skills 3 Mobility Max Persuasion and Perception.

Feats & Abilities
L01 Monk 1: Dodge,Cranestyle
L02 Paladin 1:
L03 Paladin 2: Dazzling Display
L04 Paladin 3: Mercy Fatigue
L05 Vivisectionist 1: Outflank
L06 Vivisectionist 2: Feral Mutagen
L07 Vivisectionist 3: Powerattack
L08 Vivisectionist 4: Preserve Organs
L09 Vivisectionist 5: Shatter Defences
L10 Vivisectionist 6: Cornugan Smash
L11 Vivisectionist 7: Wings
L12 Vivisectionist 8: Two Weapon Fighting*
L13 Vivisectionist 9: Improved Two Weapon Fighting*
L14 Vivisectionist 10: Crippling strike
L15 Vivisectionist 11: Greater Two Weapon Fighting*
L16 Vivisectionist 12: Greater Mutagen
L17 Vivisectionist 13: Imp Crit (Whatever you want)
L18 Vivisectionist 14: Mummification
L19 Vivisectionist 15: Crane Wing
L20 Vivisectionist 16: Grand Mutagen

You could replace TWF with Cleave and cleaving finish. Vanquisher or Twinsnakes might be better than using dual wield.

I'm not too sure about this. If I dropped mummification and preserve organs and didn't take Paladin level 3 and got Aldori defender instead for 2 feats and dueling sword. That would give me more feats.

What should I change around here to make it work better?

Desiderius

Patron

Feats & Abilities
L02 Paladin 1:

You could replace TWF with Cleave and cleaving finish. Vanquisher or Twinsnakes might be better than using dual wield.

I'm not too sure about this. If I dropped mummification and preserve organs and didn't take Paladin level 3 and got Aldori defender instead for 2 feats and dueling sword. That would give me more feats.

Greater Mutagen + Legendary + Cleaveage can more or less solo, but you also want Great Cleave and preferably Improved Cleaving Finish if you go that way. You don't necessarily need Shatter then since you don't have iteratives that need help to land.

But yeah, in the fairer direction Sneaks want TWF for more triggers. Likewise Cornugan works better with TWF since you apply your own Demoralize that helps your iteratives land instead of relying on Dirge. Mummification can give you limited protection against Gazes since you don't have Blindfight. I don't use Crane Wing without open hand.

Desiderius

Patron
If you've played alot of TWF, I'd encourage you to play the class as designed by using your Beast Shape spells, especially those with Pounce to compare. You'll find your combat log filling up with your attacks since you can use Pounce to move and get all full attacks.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Feats & Abilities
L02 Paladin 1:

If you're going Outflank, you will need combat reflexes.

Desiderius

Patron

Not necessarily. One is usually enough. He doesn't need to rely on AoOs like a big two-hander does since he already has so many attacks, and most of the game his DEX won't be that high anyway.

Desiderius

Patron
Beast Shape also saves three feats vs TWF, but you don't get to Smilodon until lvl 16 so that can be a long wait.

Yosharian

Arcane
I wouldn't bother with Preserve Organs or Mummification, personally. Crane Wing is supposed to require a free off-hand so it's kind of an exploit.

Desiderius

Patron

Not necessarily. One is usually enough. He doesn't need to rely on AoOs like a big two-hander does since he already has so many attacks, and most of the game his DEX won't be that high anyway.
I am addicted to AoO stacking ;)

Well, this playthrough the mobs aren't making it through the first round of the crit chains. Tristian triggers and Amiri cleans up. But yeah, big fan.

Desiderius

Patron
As usual, testing is a good thing.

Tried to make Jaethal a pouncing tandem tripping Leopard, but:

(a) she's not getting pounce, was Leopard's having pounce just my imagination?

(b) The Feral Mutagen isn't stacking with the Leopard natural attacks. Didn't it use to just add a secondary bite attack? Now it's providing two claws and a bite instead of your equipped weapons.

(c) On the other hand she's a hell of a tripper.

If anyone with more experience with the class could comment, would appreciate it. The sneaks do help the natural attacks do respectable damage.

Also, Jaethal can't be Enlarged since she isn't a Humanoid, nor does Animal Growth work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom