Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

vazha

Arcane
A very important question: can you effectively spell combat/spell strike with an estoc / bastard sword and at the same time enjoy the benefits of power attack str bonus that you get when you re swinging one handed stuff with both hands?
Need credible answers. Asking for a build.
yes look at the half orc magus
That... changes my plans. you sure? all the benefits? So basically i m wielding a scythe and do all the spell combat without hindrance? That seems very OP.
Yosharian I summon thee!

Elex

Arbiter
A very important question: can you effectively spell combat/spell strike with an estoc / bastard sword and at the same time enjoy the benefits of power attack str bonus that you get when you re swinging one handed stuff with both hands?
That... changes my plans. you sure? all the benefits? So basically i m wielding a scythe and do all the spell combat without hindrance? That seems very OP.
Yosharian I summon thee!
scythe is two handed. you can get the “hold with two hand one handed weapon” from str with all the non light weapons (not work with short sword or daggers for example).

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Kingdom management is still bugged and its easy to lose your whole kingdom due to it. Fuck. I broke down and turned on auto management.
They really need to look at this aspect of the game again. It offers very little reward for all the time it takes up.

e: This was supposed to go in the other thread.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Kingdom management is still bugged and its easy to lose your whole kingdom due to it. Fuck. I broke down and turned on auto management.
They really need to look at this aspect of the game again. It offers very little reward for all the time it takes up.
well the loading time alone is a good reason for put all on auto.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yosharian I summon thee!

This is wrong. With spell combat turned on, you're never going to wield a one handed weapon with both hands.

vazha

Arcane
then how come I have almost identical attack/damage output with two handed greataxe and hargulka s mace (without shield)? and I also am doing spell combat damage. Also, crane feats shouldnt be working with a bastard sword according to yer logic but they do. This is puzzling.

Yosharian

Arcane
then how come I have almost identical attack/damage output with two handed greataxe and hargulka s mace (without shield)? and I also am doing spell combat damage. Also, crane feats shouldnt be working with a bastard sword according to yer logic but they do. This is puzzling.
This is why I'm not playing the game. Nothing is working as it should be.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Because pnp rules is one thing and their in-game implementation is another. From what you are saying it seems that in the game you can wield a 1-h weapon with two hands and still use spell combat. Enjoy it while you can because it might (or might not) get patched at some point.

Gregz

Arcane

e: This was supposed to go in the other thread.

Beware, auto is bugged. Put it on easy with invincible kingdom.

Yosharian

Arcane
Because pnp rules is one thing and their in-game implementation is another. From what you are saying it seems that in the game you can wield a 1-h weapon with two hands and still use spell combat. Enjoy it while you can because it might (or might not) get patched at some point.
If it doesn't get fixed then it's an absolute joke

hell bovine

Arcane
Because the bugs have taken over. Enjoy the ride. :P

There is a weird bug with Regongar where he will two-hand a one-handed weapon and this will turn spellcombat off, but the icon will show as if spellcombat is still toggled on, even though it's actually not working.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Not more than the ability to take combat trick several times. And it certainly isn't a bigger change balance-wise than the change to how flanking or sneak attack for ranged work. And the latter two aren't even bugs but seem to be conscious design decisions. The combat trick might be as well, can't be certain. Don't get me wrong, I hope stuff like this spell combat stuff get fixed but I wouldn't hold my breath. They might decide to keep it.

vazha

Arcane
Another question: I've got Dugath's greatsword but am not particularly looking forward to delivering myself 1d6 damage every time I hit an enemy (which is most of the time). Any way to mitigate it?

vazha

Arcane
Really? It says something about negative energy or whatever so I thought normal damage reduction wouldn't go around it

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Not more than the ability to take combat trick several times. And it certainly isn't a bigger change balance-wise than the change to how flanking or sneak attack for ranged work. And the latter two aren't even bugs but seem to be conscious design decisions. The combat trick might be as well, can't be certain. Don't get me wrong, I hope stuff like this spell combat stuff get fixed but I wouldn't hold my breath. They might decide to keep it.
The entire concept of Spell Combat is that it's like Two-Weapon Fighting. If you can perform Spell Combat AND maintain Crane Style while not having a hand free... that's not a design decision, that's throwing game balance out of the window.

Combat Trick being taken more than once should be really easy to fix. I agree that it's a problem as well, it makes quite a few classes basically Fighter+.

Andnjord

Arcane
Really? Unless your Damage Resistance says that it has an exception against magic it should stop it. Stoneskin for example gives DR against all except adamantine, so I don't see any problem here.

Andnjord

Arcane
Really? Unless your Damage Resistance says that it has an exception against magic it should stop it. Stoneskin for example gives DR against all except adamantine, so I don't see any problem here.
It's not supposed to work that way.
...So how is it supposed to work? Never played Pathfinder before, so I'm just going on from what the game tells me. In-game it is consistent at least.

sser

Arcane
Developer
...So how is it supposed to work? Never played Pathfinder before, so I'm just going on from what the game tells me. In-game it is consistent at least.

This is what I'm having difficulty with, and googling leads to constantly mixed information. Also seems like some builds are legit because they're broken, so it's possible they'll get patched and you're left with a bum build; or even if it's not broken a patch will break it somehow anyway :argh:

Andnjord

Arcane
This is what I'm having difficulty with, and googling leads to constantly mixed information. Also seems like some builds are legit because they're broken, so it's possible they'll get patched and you're left with a bum build; or even if it's not broken a patch will break it somehow anyway :argh:
38a.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
Well, for starters 2d6 bonus damage is equivalent to Holy, or Bane. So it's a tremendously powerful damage bonus, on par with some of the most powerful enchantments in the game.

Secondly, the damage is from an enchantment, so it's not weapon damage.

Thirdly, the damage is untyped per RAW, which implies that it's force damage or energy damage. If it was physical damage it almost certainly by typed, like slashing, etc.

You could definitely interpret it as plain physical damage, but that's plainly not how the enchantment is supposed to work.

If it did work that way, it would be better than Holy, or Bane, or any other enchantment, as it's 2d6 against anything, with an easily avoided damage penalty.

That's why most of the sources I found ruled that it isn't blocked by DR.

vazha

Arcane
Well, for starters 2d6 bonus damage is equivalent to Holy, or Bane. So it's a tremendously powerful damage bonus, on par with some of the most powerful enchantments in the game.

Secondly, the damage is from an enchantment, so it's not weapon damage.

Thirdly, the damage is untyped per RAW, which implies that it's force damage or energy damage. If it was physical damage it almost certainly by typed, like slashing, etc.

You could definitely interpret it as plain physical damage, but that's plainly not how the enchantment is supposed to work.

If it did work that way, it would be better than Holy, or Bane, or any other enchantment, as it's 2d6 against anything, with an easily avoided damage penalty.

That's why most of the sources I found ruled that it isn't blocked by DR.
So... Umm, do I use it or not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom