Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any guidelines yet on which classes are good to multiclass a bit into, and which ones to focus all the way on them to get the most benefits?
Vivi 2 and Paladin 2 are good dips for almost anyone.
Why would you take second level of Vivisecionist for? All you get is one discovery and that's clearly not worth delaying a level in your main class in any circumstances I can think of.
How about Feral Mutagen for one extra bite attack (or 3 full AB attacks at level 2) ? And potential free trip with a certain cloak?

Cognatogen for +4 casting Stat for casters? Okay a weaker case.

Or, if you don't care about those, there's always Combat Trick for a free feat along with doubled duration on mutagen and Shield.

vazha

Arcane
Dips are good in this game. The only concern is not to overdip :))) I tend to err on that side sometimes and end up with level-5-6 main class :)))

vazha

Arcane
So two-handed fighter gets overhand chop at level 3, the way it is written in PnP implies it is only for one attack is that how it is implemented in game? Wondering if it is worth taking three levels of two handed fighter for my two hander paladin build.
Don't forget that Paladin gets some really good spells. Probably better to get those ASAP.
Seeing as paladin also gets brilliant weapon ability, I think it can compete with magus in damage variety. Especially if you arent playing solo and infusion buff your pally with an alchemist.

Parabalus

Arcane
Any guidelines yet on which classes are good to multiclass a bit into, and which ones to focus all the way on them to get the most benefits?
Why would you take second level of Vivisecionist for? All you get is one discovery and that's clearly not worth delaying a level in your main class in any circumstances I can think of.
How about Feral Mutagen for one extra bite attack (or 3 full AB attacks at level 2) ? And potential free trip with a certain cloak?

Or, if you don't care about those, there's always Combat Trick for a free feat along with doubled duration on mutagen and Shield.

With this 2 level vivi dip, isn't your mutagen just 20 minutes long?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes. Still better then 10 minutes. Even bigger difference in case of Shield of Enlarge.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Doing another level for a caster is a bad idea. The cognatogen for 20 minutes a day won't make up for yet another lost level of primary caster class. You'll end weaker, not stronger. Even the first level is probably a bad idea unless you are aiming for arcane trickster.

Combat trick might be worth something for say a paladin (who is starved for feats) but not very relevant for say fighter. The added durations are nice but it's a small bonus. If you really need that additional feat badly and can make some very good use of it, it might be an option, though not a great one. I probably wouldn't do 2nd level of vivisectionist just for the reasons you mentioned but YMMV.

However, You might have a point about feral mutagen. Perhaps it might be worth enough for a melee build to think about. I never considered it. But it would be limited to 20 minutes, so I'm still not convinced. The primary reason of the dip into vivisectionist as a melee class in the first place is the sneak attack dice (and the ability to take a second one via feat, for a total 2d6 sneak damage added to almost any damage roll in this game) and you simply don't get any of that at Vivisectionist level 2. Other abilities are an icing on the cake and taking another level just for a bonus to a bonus doesn't sound that great to me.

Having said all that, a melee combat class/vivisectionist combo might be very good but then we are not talking about a 1~2 level dip any more.

ArchAngel

Arcane
On any difficulty below Unfair Nok Nok can delete any non boss enemy in one round on average.
Vanilla green fella doesn't even have enough BAB to hit endgame regular enemies dude. And no spells to protect himself either.

Also, who even cares about non boss enemies?
You must be Joking lol. Around lvl 10 my Nok Nok has +9 Dex and +1 from small. Amiri has +6 Str and +2 from Rage. Any hit he does lowers enemy AC vs him by 4. He has least problems hitting anyone. And his AC is noticeable better than what Amiri has.
Not to mention that Amiri MUST use Power Attack to even have a chance to compare her DPS with Nok Nok (and she still loses).

Last edited:

panda

Savant
Just for reference: Wild hunt scout has 48 AC on unfair, 46 on hard. This is a, in a manner of speaking, trash mob.

vazha

Arcane
On any difficulty below Unfair Nok Nok can delete any non boss enemy in one round on average.
Vanilla green fella doesn't even have enough BAB to hit endgame regular enemies dude. And no spells to protect himself either.

You must be Joking lol. Around lvl 10 my Nok Nok has +9 Dex and +1 from small. Amiri has +6 Str and +2 from Rage. Any hit he does lowers enemy AC vs him by 4. He has least problems hitting anyone. And his AC is noticeable better than what Amiri has.
Not to mention that Amiri MUST use Power Attack to even have a chance to compare her DPS with Nok Nok (and she still loses).
Wait till nokie gets dominated and insta-gibs you with a crit :)))) Happened to me today

Ent

Savant
So after getting a rogue to lvl 12 I gotta say that its probably just better to get a character to lvl 3 or 4 rogue and just switch to vivisectionist. I made a really weird gimmick build using an elven curved blade and power attack and there is no dimension in which not going alchemist wouldn't be flat out better after getting the initial feats even if you are going to play him 100% percent of the time as a martial. The spell casting is just the icing on top at that point.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Wait till nokie gets dominated and insta-gibs you with a crit :)))) Happened to me today
Not like Amiri is much more resistant. We should pick up Iron Will feat with both :)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Food and its effect

Dish - primary effect - secondary "favorite" effect

Grilled Silver Eel - 10 movement bonus
Owlbear omelett - +1 attack rolls - +5 Nature Lore (Ekun)

Jeweled Rice - + 5 movement - + 5 movement (Jaethal)
Rice & Nut Pudding - + 5 movement - + 1d6 sneak dice with spells (octavia)
Haggis - +1 saving throws - +3 will saves (Harrim)
Sweet Pancakes - + 5 movement
Seasoned Wings and Thighs - 1 temp hitpoint per level
Sheperds Pie - +1 saving throws - +1d6 channel positive energy (tristian)
Galt Ragout - +4 hours before Fatigue
Fish on a stick - +4 hours before Fatigue - +3 Trickery and UMD (nok-nok)
Onion Soup - +1 saving throws
Succulent Sausages - 1 temp hitpoint per lvl
Monster Casserole - +2 on dmg rolls
Hunters Roast - 1 temp hitpoint per lvl, +3 Nature Lore (Ekun)
Chocolade Icecream - +3 to all skill checks
Smoked Trout and Hydra Pate - +1 AC
Broiled Tuskwater Oyster - +1 spell DCs - +5 Perception (Jaethal)
Baked Spider Legs - +3 Fortitude saves - +5 Stealth (Nok-Nok)
Kameberry Pie - fast healing 1
Mastodon Steak + 1.5 temp HP per lvl
Hearty meal - +1 saves
Cheese Crostata - +6 hours before Fatigue

Duration is "1 day" i.e. 16 hours, because in Russia a day is 16 hours long. I don't know the secondary effects for ppl not in my party, so if anybody knows these we could complete the list.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That fast healing 1 is insane. You no longer need to waste healing between battles and can do more battles before resting.

And Cheese Crostata is very nice for overland map travel.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean, your party rests 8 hours + cooks. Then effect stays for 16. It's not algebra but not an unreasonable design either. If you think about it as an "adventuring day" anyway.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That fast healing 1 is insane.
Yes this is huge. Do it before entering a long dungeon, will last thru 1 rest. Works for Jaethal too.
Unfortunately the berries are limited. I only have 1 left now. perhaps there's a vendor but I haven't found one yet.
Than it is even better if it work on Jaethal as well. Now they just need to add that you know the effect of every recipe without needing to click to use it on Manage screen and then go back to Manage screen right after that. Also once found out, that need to add that it says on recipe which companion it affects and in what way.
Also I would add that some of the other recipes should have additional effects that work on certain races, so that your main character and custom companion runs also get something from it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well if you're facing monsters which are hot women drowning men in lakes yes.
If you're facing something like incubi (if such thing exists in Pathfinder) then it should be other way around.
But Fey gonna Fey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom