Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Cael

Arcane
Yeah. Eldtritch knight or Arcane trickster is your better bet. If you want a *real* caster-melee go for Druid or Cleric.
I wanted to suggest a Paladin instead. Full BAB, lots of defense and awesome melee boosts. Kind of like Magus but better at just smashing stuff. And does not even need that much hand holding and fucking around like Magus does.

Pretty shitty AC by this game's standards and no defensive buffs to speak of, though.

Now if you proposed a Paladin/Sorc/RDD/EK....
Dragon Disciple is garbage

It's only garbage if you want to focus on casting. If you just want to swing a big two-hander and maybe even get a free bite (which can mean a free trip), then some 4 levels are quite fine I think.
In NWN, I use TWF for my DD. The +8 Str compensates for the -4 to-hit, and TWF wastes less damage on an already dead target than a 2-hder.

In Kingmaker, it might pa to use a 2-hder and Power Attack combo instead of TWF due to the stat inflation.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I'm not a fan of Power Attack and such. I want to hit as much as possible, maybe even with iteratives, rather then deal more damage per hit.

Cael

Arcane
Well, I'm not a fan of Power Attack and such. I want to hit as much as possible, maybe even with iteratives, rather then deal more damage per hit.
Then, TWF is your best friend, triply so if you can add Dex to damage, as having to pump Dex is a major drawback of the TWF path.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Not really, as it's at -2 AB :P

But I currently have two characters that finished Chapter 1, can't really decide on which I shall focus and (maybe) finish the game.

1. Strenght based tripping Oni-Spawn Tiefling Vivisectionist (with monk dip for AC and sword-saint dip for fauchard prof. and focus) and
2. Dex based human scimitar Sword Saint (with monk dip for AC)

Both will have shatter defenses for easier hitting of enemies (in case of Vivi also for easy sneaks - even when not flanking). Neither will take Power Attack/Piranha Strike.

Vivisectionist will have worse accuracy but much higher damage per hit. And will eventually greater trip almost anyone, disabling primary threats and causing lots of AoOs. Low HPs with moderate AC are a slight problem, but perhaps weak-ish Will save a much bigger one.

Sword Saint will have great AC (and defensive buffs!) and accuracy plus burst damage capability when needed. Less damage per hit, but when you add all the bonus sources (enchantments, spec./greater, arcane strike, int bonus) it'll add up. And with his accuracy, he'll have good chances to land most of his attacks. Better party synergy too, as he can main-tank, so much more freedom in companion choices. Therefore I am leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Not really, as it's at -2 AB :P

But I currently have two characters that finished Chapter 1, can't really decide on which I shall focus and (maybe) finish the game.

1. Strenght based tripping Oni-Spawn Tiefling Vivisectionist (with monk dip for AC and sword-saint dip for fauchard prof. and focus) and
2. Dex based human scimitar Sword Saint (with monk dip for AC)

Both will have shatter defenses for easier hitting of enemies (in case of Vivi also for easy sneaks - even when not flanking). Neither will take Power Attack/Piranha Strike.

Vivisectionist will have worse accuracy but much higher damage per hit. And will eventually greater trip almost anyone, disabling primary threats and causing lots of AoOs. Low HPs with moderate AC are a problem, but perhaps weak-ish Will save even moreso.

Sword Saint will have great AC (and defensive buffs!) and accuracy plus burst damage capability when needed. Better party synergy too, as he can main-tank, so much more freedom in companion choices. Therefore I am leaning towards the latter.
Sword Saint. Survivability for the main character is a must unless you love save-scumming.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
That's what I've been thinking also.

Although.. there is something nice in towering over other characters in the enlarged form, attacking 3x per round in act 1, each time for 20-40 damage (more on crit). And late game becoming even more epic via legendary proportions and laughing at puny mortals you crush under your feet.

But yes, surviving is probably more important... and spellstrike SS amplified crits should be quite rewarding also.

Cael

Arcane
That's what I've been thinking also.

Although.. there is something nice in towering over other characters in the enlarged form, attacking 3x per round in act 1, each time for 20-40 damage (more on crit). And late game becoming even more epic via legendary proportions and laughing at puny mortals you crush under your feet.

But yes, surviving is probably more important... and spellstrike SS amplified crits should be quite rewarding also.
Play a Cleric if you want that kind of mayhem. Righteous Might and Divine Power combo is pretty broken even without Legendary Proportions.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Cleric doesn't deal sufficiently consistent damage for me in P:K. Power spikes worth rounds per level are not enough for me right now.

Plus as a Cleric, you don't really have feats to spare to spend on all the greater trip supporting feats.

Sure, had lots of fun with clerics in NWNs (even more with druids), but I really like the magus and vivisectionist flavors here. The new classes offer so many opportunities, I'd be a shame not to try them out.

I really like that they are capable of almost sustained operation, dealing reliable damage on par with the martials, while also tapping into powefull buffs and even offensive spells.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Cleric doesn't deal sufficiently consistent damage for me in P:K. Power spikes worth rounds per level are not enough for me right now.

Sure, had lots of fun with clerics in NWNs (even more with druids), but I really like the magus and vivisectionist flavors here. The new classes offer so many opportunities, I'd be a shame not to try them out.

I really like that they are capable of almost sustained operation, dealing reliable damage on par with the martials, while also tapping into powefull buffs and even offensive spells.
You haven't played mayhem until you have a played a Cleric based, Bear variant, Weretouched Master in Eberron. Pre-Errata. Divine Power + Righteous Might + Weretouched Master shifting = +30 Str + Huge size (+ a bunch of other things including Con and Dex bonus, DR, and Fighter BAB). Fun for the whole family.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So Archaeologist Bards get Uncanny dodge at level 2? An interesting option with unrestricted alignment for multiclasses with monk, which don't want to sacrifice too many class levels.

Ent

Savant
I just found this +5 dueling sword called bloodhound and I want to make a swordsaint now. I've restarted this shit way too many times.

Codex Year of the Donut
are strength builds as worthless in the pnp as in this game?

seems like a glaring oversight to have dex effectively be both offense and defense

Deleted Member 16721

So Archaeologist Bards get Uncanny dodge at level 2? An interesting option with unrestricted alignment for multiclasses with monk, which don't want to sacrifice too many class levels.

Yep, and at level 5 we get Archaeologist's Luck +2, which is a +2 bonus to pretty much everything, including skill checks. My current build is 5 Archaeologist/4 Rogue/6 Dragon Disciple, and isn't doing too bad. That Luck skill is really nice for moderate to tough encounters, he deals a lot of sneak attack damage and gets nice strength buffs and a 2d6 energy damage bite attack from DD. Specialized him in Dueling Swords and he uses a nice buckler and good armor, has plenty of spells to cast (Heroism, Hideous Laughter, etc.) and is a pretty fun character to play so far. Also gave him Imposing Presence or whatever, basically he can intimidate anybody in the game at this point with huge buffs to his persuasion for intimidate, as well as Cornugon Smash for demoralizing (which is also very highly buffed by high STR + CHA stats). In short, might not be optimal but it's definitely fun.

Yosharian

Arcane
are strength builds as worthless in the pnp as in this game?

seems like a glaring oversight to have dex effectively be both offense and defense
There are a couple of issues regarding strength vs dex.

1) Dex is more efficient as a rule as long as you are prepared to find 3/4 of the weapons in the game useless for you, since you are effectively limiting yourself to Agile weapons. There are some incredible non-Agile weapons in the game.

2) Str (which usually means 2H) requires almost no feats. Power Attack and you're good to go. Dex on the other hand requires Weapon Finesse to even function.

3) Then you really need the TWF feat line to really start pulling ahead in terms of damage. Power Attack is just straight up better. Unless you have TWF. So that's 4 feats vs 1, and hefty Dex requirements as well.

4) One key PA feat, Furious Focus, is missing from the game. That limits Str builds' effectiveness vs TWF.

5) There are many excellent spells that boost Str as part of their package. Enlarge Person, Legendary Proportions... The Str boosts here are worthless to a Dex character.

6) Str Power Attack builds are superior to TWF builds at beating damage reduction, unless you have enough Enhancement to beat the DR. Then TWF pulls ahead dramatically.

Yosharian

Arcane

Yep, and at level 5 we get Archaeologist's Luck +2, which is a +2 bonus to pretty much everything, including skill checks. My current build is 5 Archaeologist/4 Rogue/6 Dragon Disciple, and isn't doing too bad. That Luck skill is really nice for moderate to tough encounters, he deals a lot of sneak attack damage and gets nice strength buffs and a 2d6 energy damage bite attack from DD. Specialized him in Dueling Swords and he uses a nice buckler and good armor, has plenty of spells to cast (Heroism, Hideous Laughter, etc.) and is a pretty fun character to play so far. Also gave him Imposing Presence or whatever, basically he can intimidate anybody in the game at this point with huge buffs to his persuasion for intimidate, as well as Cornugon Smash for demoralizing (which is also very highly buffed by high STR + CHA stats). In short, might not be optimal but it's definitely fun.
Wait the bite attack is energy damage?

deuxhero

Arcane
6) Str Power Attack builds are superior to TWF builds at beating damage reduction, unless you have enough Enhancement to beat the DR. Then TWF pulls ahead dramatically.

Or a Paladin's smite. Paladins are, strangely enough, very good dual wielders in PF thanks to damage bonus and bypassing DR. This is normally sword and board or board and board, but two weapons works as well.

Deleted Member 16721

Wow. That's great. However: what bonuses get added to that damage? Str?

STR I believe, yeah. Same bonuses that would apply to a bite attack. My Strength modifier is +7 so it's nice to have an extra attack for free that does 2d6 energy damage. Combined with the Arch's Luck +2, I'm hitting things a lot more often with it than most would.

jungl

Augur
all the people complaining about the game being gay and hard at later stages rolling around with dex builds and tanks like Valerie. Fastest way to cheese the game is too up your damage been this way since baldurs gate. Use amiri with that buff that hurts ac and buffs acc and damage. Good hope nice but jubilost puts out more damage then linzi.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
You can ez TWF using STR as a ranger (imho human, for the feats). I didn't multi to rogue for the sneak attack but I should have.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Dueling swords aren't considered light weapons Kit Walker, so double the -2 on attack, since I guess your rougue with aldori dip would be TWF, or what were you suggesting?

Ent

Savant
Is an enemy considered flat footed when it is denied its Dex bonus to AC through some sort of status aliment or is flat footed only something that happens at the beginning of a combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom