Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Animal companions suffer from diminishing returns (they require a lot of buffs for starters and don’t progress as quickly as full characters) and get in the way if you have too many.
What? Pets inherently have huge AC, so they require less buffs than other characters. Now, they are in some ways harder to buff, since some buffs are not allowed on pets and others are self-only and you can't give a pet a class capable of e.g. mirror image. But pets are definitely the easy way to tank. What they generally suck at is facing anything that targets saves, especially will.

They definitely do start to get in the way though. Anything more than 4 melee characters and/or pets (and ideally 2 of those are enlarged reach weapon characters) is an absolute clusterfuck.

Harrim can tank Trobold (except Harg) at 41AC and VTomb at 48ish with +4AC vs Giants and the right equipment. Pet tops out in high 30s and that’s with a source of Mage Armor with Shield and full Barkskin from Jub along with Shield of Faith.

Pet has a lot of Natural Armor and DEX but everything else has to eat several spellslots and it has no access to untyped bonuses like Giantslayer Clasp because it gets no equipment in P:K. Also obv makes saves a problem too.

Good general guide to pets is only for classes that support them (like Sacred Huntmaster) and no more than two so they don’t eat too many spellslots/restrict party comp/mess up pathfinding.

I find one (Okbo) to be ideal in P:K and two in Wrath. Obv for soloing Sylvan Sorc is fine but not needed in full party. If you want to do Unfair from lvl one also a big help but once abilities and equipment show up they lag.

Cat

also: ⛽
Harrim can tank Trobold (except Harg) at 41AC and VTomb at 48ish with +4AC vs Giants and the right equipment. Pet tops out in high 30s and that’s with a source of Mage Armor with Shield and full Barkskin from Jub along with Shield of Faith.

Pet has a lot of Natural Armor and DEX but everything else has to eat several spellslots and it has no access to untyped bonuses like Giantslayer Clasp because it gets no equipment in P:K. Also obv makes saves a problem too.

Good general guide to pets is only for classes that support them (like Sacred Huntmaster) and no more than two so they don’t eat too many spellslots/restrict party comp/mess up pathfinding.

I find one (Okbo) to be ideal in P:K and two in Wrath. Obv for soloing Sylvan Sorc is fine but not needed in full party. If you want to do Unfair from lvl one also a big help but once abilities and equipment show up they lag.

Trobold is like level 8 right?

Dog AC @level 8: 27, +4 mage armor, +2 Cat's Grace, +1 Haste, +2 protection against alignment, +2 fight defensively. That's 38 AC with just a sylvan sorcerer and no outside buffs needed. Shield would add +4, Barkskin +3, and shield of faith +1 (not stacking with protection vs. alignment), which would be 46 AC.

Yosharian

Arcane

Cat

I did it in Last Azlanti, Challenging. Um. Yes. You have potions. Use them. Every round.
Challenging? Lol
I'm not a masochist. I just like me and my enemy to play by the same rules.
That's fine but you need to understand that you aren't playing on the same difficulty as the rest of us, you can't just spam potions to win that fight on those difficulties
I don't think Nas is playing on Unfair.

Nas92

Augur
I did it in Last Azlanti, Challenging. Um. Yes. You have potions. Use them. Every round.
Challenging? Lol
I'm not a masochist. I just like me and my enemy to play by the same rules.
That's fine but you need to understand that you aren't playing on the same difficulty as the rest of us, you can't just spam potions to win that fight on those difficulties
I don't think Nas is playing on Unfair.
Indeed, I am not. I'm playing on the default difficulty settings which is normal I believe.
That said, I'm not ready to blow all my potions on this fight, not to mention I really don't see this tactic working. The paladin continues to heal himself with Lay on Hands and Valerie can barely hit him. All it's doing is drawing the fight out.

Cat

Indeed, I am not. I'm playing on the default difficulty settings which is normal I believe.
That said, I'm not ready to blow all my potions on this fight, not to mention I really don't see this tactic working. The paladin continues to heal himself with Lay on Hands and Valerie can barely hit him. All it's doing is drawing the fight out.
He doesn't have infinite Lay on Hands, whereas you should have about 50+ healing potions, barkskin potions, and a whole host of other potions that you're otherwise never gonna use. My Valerie was multiclassed into a shitty bard and she pulled it off.

What else are you gonna do with your potions? Sell them?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He doesn't have infinite Lay on Hands, whereas you should have about 50+ healing potions, barkskin potions, and a whole host of other potions that you're otherwise never gonna use. My Valerie was multiclassed into a shitty bard and she pulled it off.

A shitty bard should have UMD. And with UMD you can easily win it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just buff Valerie and have Octavia "accidentally" dump a grease spell and any other ground effects that seem useful where paladickhead starts off. He falls on his ass, Valerie wails on him, a fait accompli. Either that or just eat your scripted loss and get on with it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Trobold is like level 8 right?

Dog AC @level 8: 27, +4 mage armor, +2 Cat's Grace, +1 Haste, +2 protection against alignment, +2 fight defensively. That's 38 AC with just a sylvan sorcerer and no outside buffs needed. Shield would add +4, Barkskin +3, and shield of faith +1 (not stacking with protection vs. alignment), which would be 46 AC.

17 Natural Armor at lvl 8?

That’s also 4 (or 7) spells slots just to buff one pet. He was talking about running an all pet party. Who’s casting all those buffs?

Harrim can wear Ring for Deflection, Heavy Armor for Armor and Belt for DEX. Giantslayer Clasp is 2 untyped AC and there’s a Unique Heavy Shield at Bart’s House that only he can use.

The point is that’s it’s enough without burning all those buffs. Even 46 isn’t enough to tank Harg.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Listen up you financial midwit. That 5000 gold you profited in chapter 1 by selling potions, invested wisely in the kingdom, could potentially make you back 2500 gold by the end of the game.
Hiring artisans and investing in development of stats they like gives a HUGE payoff in magic items, often best in class, often far ahead of what's available by exploration at any point in the game.
PLUS lots of weaker magic items to sell.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Just buff Valerie and have Octavia "accidentally" dump a grease spell and any other ground effects that seem useful where paladickhead starts off. He falls on his ass, Valerie wails on him, a fait accompli. Either that or just eat your scripted loss and get on with it.
Well, its still considerably easier then Amiri's duel in Act IV :)

Yosharian

Arcane
That one is again very easy with a Sylvan Sorcerer lol

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
.....or just UMD and lots of prebuffing.
Its not like there is any other point in the game where all those scrolls are worth using.

Yosharian

Arcane
Its not like there is any other point in the game where all those scrolls are worth using.
Well yes that's true I suppose

But the point is, he gets wrecked by Sirocco just like anyone else

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
How did you get Amiri into a Sylvan Sorcerer?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think he turned the opponent into a Syvlan sorcerer.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I think he turned the opponent into a Syvlan sorcerer.
He turned the setting's equivalent of Conan into a sorcerer, and you are not raging for blood???

Cat

Most of the buffs run out during the scripted dialogue at that level no matter how fast you try to click through it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Most of the buffs run out during the scripted dialogue at that level no matter how fast you try to click through it.
Aren't buffs instant cast from inventory outside combat?

I remember her opponent never landed even 1 hit on two-handed Barb / Freebooter Amiri after buffing (on Hard)...

The scripted loose sequence was even funnier, as cutscene paralyzed Amiri still dodged all his scripted blows...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom