Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Incendax

Augur
Incendax what's the blessing of lamathsu +2 nat armour?
<.<

You can join forces with Tsanna and Vordakai to conduct a horrible ritual where you lie to Evindra and then murder her, strip her of immortality, and bless yourselves with it. Everyone in the party gets +4 Inherent Strength, +4 Inherent Constitution, and +2 Natural Armor.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Incendax what's the blessing of lamathsu +2 nat armour?
<.<

You can join forces with Tsanna and Vordakai to conduct a horrible ritual where you lie to Evindra and then murder her, strip her of immortality, and bless yourselves with it.

Everyone in the party gets +4 Inherent Strength, +4 Inherent Constitution, and +2 Natural Armor.

My last playthrough I sacrificed Evindra and nothing happened; bugged. So I always wondered what was the bonus? Also, in my playthrough Vordakai had no role in the ritual, just Tsanna and lieing to Evindra. end.

Incendax

Augur
My last playthrough I sacrificed Evindra and nothing happened; bugged. So I always wondered what was the bonus? Also, in my playthrough Vordakai had no role in the ritual, just Tsanna and lieing to Evindra. end.
It was still a little bugged when I did it. The icon was just white with no graphic, and the tooltip didn’t mention the strength bonus, even though it definitely shows up on the character sheet.

You didn’t miss much with Vordakai. He just stands there, then does a casting animation at the same time as Tsanna.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But... no Selective Spell metamagic or Dismiss spell functionality?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder if you can pick Advanced Rogue Talents (such as Opportunist, Double Debilitation or Improved Evasion) with Rogue level 2 and 4 Talent picks if you already have 10+ levels in Vivisectionist.

Conversely if you can pick Preserve Organs or Mummification as Rogue Talents - if you already have Vivi levels.

I have checked on Vivi 10\Rogue 4: Advanced Talents from Vivi give you access to Opportunist and Improved Evasion at Rogue 2 and Double Debilitation at Rogue 4. But not vice versa - Rogue Talent and Medical Discovery is different abilities so no vivi-specific staff.

I was thinking about trying it for some time, but did not have a build to fit it into. But now Vivi 12/Thug 4/Scaled Fist 4 with the stick looks damn tempting.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone else feel that American voices in RPGs just doesn't fit? Also why must so many RPGs have an annoying female character like Linzi. Does that appeal to a lot of people?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I attended the studio head's lecture yesterday.

Their original plan was 500 000 words for the game. They ended up with 1 200 000. He admitted: that amount of content was impossible to test and second half of the game is much worse than the first.

Yo, tell us more.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
It was still a little bugged when I did it. The icon was just white with no graphic, and the tooltip didn’t mention the strength bonus, even though it definitely shows up on the character sheet.

You didn’t miss much with Vordakai. He just stands there, then does a casting animation at the same time as Tsanna.

That's a pretty big bonus. I wonder if you don't have Vordakai you still get it if you sacrifice Evindra? Also, if you don't do the deed, Tsanna still blesses you, do you know what bonus it gives?

Yosharian

Arcane
Vivi mutagen stacking is per the rules. Its "Alchemical" bonus type, which stacks with everything else.
I don't understand why everyone is having so much trouble with this. What you're saying is simply incorrect. Read the mutagen text:

Upon being imbibed, the mutagen causes the alchemist to grow bulkier and more bestial, granting him a +2 natural armor bonus and a +4 alchemical bonusto the selected ability score for 10 minutes per alchemist level.

It's not a 'alchemical bonus' to Natural Armor. That makes no fucking sense. It's just a Natural Armor bonus.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thoughts after first hour or two:

• Old school character building with stats and ability points n shit, omg!
  • A party of 6 in this day and age omg!
  • Engine and graphics seem very slick. Love it. I saw a comment here about how the engine was bad, curious why someone would say that...
  • Save and load times really fast, not even on a SSD.
  • Not a fan of the cartoony graphics but it is an old school style RPG with modern graphics so hurray.
  • Why do characters in almost every RPG have to be so shit? The annoying kiddie character Linzi, the retarded Berserker, the I-hate-everyone Undead goth, the Dwarven stereotype. Linzi I assume is inspired by the annoying one in BG2 with the same type of stupid squeaky voice.
  • Not being able to queue a movement command is really annoying. For example a fight happens on top of me, in whatever the swanky previous RPG was I played, I could click my ranged people to move them away from the fight, and then shift click the battle so once they reach there they will automatically turn and start shooting their bows. Or I could select Burning Hands and then click where I want them to start casting it so they move there and then it shoots the cone shape. In this game both of these things requires micro managing.
  • There is far too much shit to loot. Even in the first 30 minutes my bags are full of all the junk. RPGs need to stop this...
  • As far as horrible annoying gaming stories go, this one isn't too bad.
  • No hotkey for "collect all" is annoying as fuck. Every corpse, chest, and container I click on needs multiple clicks to take all the junk in there.
  • "You cannot rest here" I wish it at least gave some sort of reason why. Cannot rest when enemies are near, cannot rest while in imminent danger, cannot rest in this building, etc.
  • Level 1 combat so far has been :S I was micromanaging my first several fights with all the various spells my characters have. It was taking forever to kill stuff. Then I clicked on a guy and my party of 3 all shot their crossbows and splatted him in one go. Makes me wonder when that will stop being the best option and spells will take over :/ Also I seemed to get lucky with RNG because every fight has been miss miss miss from the enemies. One time they hit my Sorc and nearly killed him with 1 arrow. I dread to think how this would be if they didn't miss so much. Especially with no rest and me being too stubborn to use potions at this point.
  • The bit with the book and the story and you make decisions, was pretty cool. Not so sure I would not savescum the shit out of it though if it crossed me at some point.
  • I like that decisions get called out later on. First time I can remember playing an RPG where I don't just switch off my brain.
  • Thank god for CTRL-A.
  • I have zero tolerance for slow running speed in a game like this now. I will have to find a mod or something. I wouldn't want it to give any advantage in combat, I just don't like clicking a box and watching them slow jog over there. Then another box and another slow jog... Life is too short.

Yosharian

Arcane
Why do characters in almost every RPG have to be so shit? The annoying kiddie character Linzi, the retarded Berserker, the I-hate-everyone Undead goth, the Dwarven stereotype. Linzi I assume is inspired by the annoying one in BG2 with the same type of stupid squeaky voice.

Solution: ditch those dumb cunts and make your own team of 6! You can even write them some backstories if you use a very simple mod.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Vivi mutagen stacking is per the rules. Its "Alchemical" bonus type, which stacks with everything else.
I don't understand why everyone is having so much trouble with this. What you're saying is simply incorrect. Read the mutagen text:

Upon being imbibed, the mutagen causes the alchemist to grow bulkier and more bestial, granting him a +2 natural armor bonus and a +4 alchemical bonusto the selected ability score for 10 minutes per alchemist level.

It's not a 'alchemical bonus' to Natural Armor. That makes no fucking sense. It's just a Natural Armor bonus.

Seems you're right. Nonetheless it should still stack with Natural Armor Enhancements, such as Barkskin or Amulet of Natural Armor, as well as Size bonuses to Natural Armor, such as Legendary Proportions.
It should probably not stack with other Natural Armor Bonuses, such as Frightful Aspect or Transformation.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Irlene brought my Vivisectionist a Wand of Mirror Image. Yay! Just in time for me to kill the Bane of the Living daemon.

Yosharian

Arcane

Seems you're right. Nonetheless it should still stack with Natural Armor Enhancements, such as Barkskin or Amulet of Natural Armor, as well as Size bonuses to Natural Armor, such as Legendary Proportions.
It should probably not stack with other Natural Armor Bonuses, such as Frightful Aspect or Transformation.
Yes, exactly

Yosharian

Arcane
Why do characters in almost every RPG have to be so shit? The annoying kiddie character Linzi, the retarded Berserker, the I-hate-everyone Undead goth, the Dwarven stereotype. Linzi I assume is inspired by the annoying one in BG2 with the same type of stupid squeaky voice.

Solution: ditch those dumb cunts and make your own team of 6! You can even write them some backstories if you use a very simple mod.
Can I replace them in the normal game without mods? Don't really like modding my first play through. But I do love having a party I made myself.
The instructions are in my sig, it's quite easy really

The backstory thing is the only thing that requires mods and it's a massively simple mod.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks! I'll check it out. Got the annoying walking speed fixed up too.
Did you use a mod for that? Kind of interested in that myself

Just used Cheat Engine which speeds up the entire game so it doesn't give any advantage by changing stats or anything. And you can hotkey it so for combat you turn it back to normal. And when travelling turn it up to 2 or 3x the speed. Life saver in a lot of games!

jewboy

Arbiter
Linzi I assume is inspired by the annoying one in BG2 with the same type of stupid squeaky voice.
I hope you are not talking about Aerie. She was maybe the only female character who didn't completely suck and she behaved more like an old style sympathetic, helpless, girlie, feminine female. Not the new style man-with-tits. As for the voice, didn't they all suck? Playing with voices on? Are you a masochist or what?

Not being able to queue a movement command is really annoying. For example a fight happens on top of me, in whatever the swanky previous RPG was I played, I could click my ranged people to move them away from the fight, and then shift click the battle so once they reach there they will automatically turn and start shooting their bows. Or I could select Burning Hands and then click where I want them to start casting it so they move there and then it shoots the cone shape. In this game both of these things requires micro managing.
What games are you referring to? Since when is micromanaging a bad thing? For me that's what makes combat fun. But queueing actions is fine so long as you are actually planning their actions. Having your ranged characters automatically retreat and start firing is kind of lame imo. Who are they firing at? You should be the one doing the targeting. Not the computer.

There is far too much shit to loot. Even in the first 30 minutes my bags are full of all the junk. RPGs need to stop this...
Who is forcing you to bother taking the loot? I don't understand complaints like this. Just fucking leave it there if it isn't a +10 Sword of Awesomeness.

No hotkey for "collect all" is annoying as fuck. Every corpse, chest, and container I click on needs multiple clicks to take all the junk in there.
Seems to me that they anticipated your complaint about there being too much loot in the game and don't want you to just take everything you see.

I was micromanaging my first several fights with all the various spells my characters have. It was taking forever to kill stuff. Then I clicked on a guy and my party of 3 all shot their crossbows and splatted him in one go. Makes me wonder when that will stop being the best option and spells will take over
Are you saying 'killing stuff' is taking too long? Do you want to just press a button and have all of the enemy combatants just die? Would that be more fun for you? It does sound like you really don't like battle-chess style strategic combat where you have to plan each move and if you don't you will be dead. Don't play BG2 + SCS. You would really hate that. I love plan-or-die style combat though. If an rpg doesn't have that it had better have a PS:T level story.

Also I seemed to get lucky with RNG because every fight has been miss miss miss from the enemies. One time they hit my Sorc and nearly killed him with 1 arrow. I dread to think how this would be if they didn't miss so much. Especially with no rest and me being too stubborn to use potions at this point.
Software PRNGs suck ass because there is no real randomness. They are just xor+bitshift functions that vaguely look random but they aren't based on any sort of physical process that is capable of producing actual randomness. Every CPU Ivy Bridge or newer is capable of creating real randomness now. So I find it inexcusable that modern games aren't taking advantage of this on-chip hardware rng. They are a bit slower than the nearly useless software fake-random functions, but those functions suck as you are seeing. Maybe the hardware rng will take 0.3 seconds to return a number instead of 0.05 seconds, but at least the numbers will feel more like a die roll. I suspect that eventually game devs will start using it but I don't know when. Maybe when absolutely no one has an older than Ivy Bridge cpu?

First time I can remember playing an RPG where I don't just switch off my brain.
Stick to Codexian approved rpgs so you don't have to switch off your brain, but if you don't like micromanagement and just wants to kills stuff quickly to prove how awesome you are maybe it's best to play Bethesda and Bioware games. They cater to that 'just make me feel powerful but don't make me think'. For me mindless button mashing combat that is easy enough that you don't have to worry about dying and having to reload is totally pointless. I'd rather just skip that entirely if there is a good story to follow. If there is no good story as is the case with most computer games then I just want to find the menu with 'exit' in it and get that massive waste of hard drive space off my computer.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Linzi I assume is inspired by the annoying one in BG2 with the same type of stupid squeaky voice.
I hope you are not talking about Aerie. She was maybe the only female character who didn't completely suck and she behaved more like an old style sympathetic, helpless, girlie, feminine female. Not the new style man-with-tits. As for the voice, didn't they all suck? Playing with voices on? Are you a masochist or what?
Yeah Aerie, and there was another one or two. All are giggly schoolgirls, with annoying voices.

Not being able to queue a movement command is really annoying. For example a fight happens on top of me, in whatever the swanky previous RPG was I played, I could click my ranged people to move them away from the fight, and then shift click the battle so once they reach there they will automatically turn and start shooting their bows. Or I could select Burning Hands and then click where I want them to start casting it so they move there and then it shoots the cone shape. In this game both of these things requires micro managing.
What games are you referring to? Since when is micromanaging a bad thing? For me that's what makes combat fun. But queueing actions is fine so long as you are actually planning their actions. Having your ranged characters automatically retreat and start firing is kind of lame imo. Who are they firing at? You should be the one doing the targeting. Not the computer.
It is bad since I played games that don't require it and yet it doesn't take anything away either. I don't think you understood what I was saying. It doesn't automatically do anything. You do it yourself, but you can queue up a few commands in one go. I think the game I am thinking of is Aarklash Legacy which is excellent by the way. (Again apart from the voices/characters/story/etc).

Who is forcing you to bother taking the loot? I don't understand complaints like this. Just fucking leave it there if it isn't a +10 Sword of Awesomeness.
You don't understand a lot, seems you are dumb. The reason I have to loot all the shit is because that's how games traditionally work. If you don't loot all the shit, you get 100 hours into the game and need to buy something fancy but you are short on money because you didn't loot all the shit for the past 100 hours. Looting everything and then selling everything you can is the only smart and pro way to play an RPG. Any dev making an RPG should know that and design it accordingly.

Seems to me that they anticipated your complaint about there being too much loot in the game and don't want you to just take everything you see.
Then why put it all in the game?

I was micromanaging my first several fights with all the various spells my characters have. It was taking forever to kill stuff. Then I clicked on a guy and my party of 3 all shot their crossbows and splatted him in one go. Makes me wonder when that will stop being the best option and spells will take over
Are you saying 'killing stuff' is taking too long? Do you want to just press a button and have all of the enemy combatants just die? Would that be more fun for you? It does sound like you really don't like battle-chess style strategic combat where you have to plan each move and if you don't you will be dead. Don't play BG2 + SCS. You would really hate that. I love plan-or-die style combat though. If an rpg doesn't have that it had better have a PS:T level story.
No I am saying my spells were so weak it took several attacks to kill someone, but just clicking the guy makes all 3 characters attack with their bow and it splatted him in one shot. I completed those games you mentioned before you were born.

Stick to Codexian approved rpgs so you don't have to switch off your brain, but if you don't like micromanagement and just wants to kills stuff quickly to prove how awesome you are maybe it's best to play Bethesda and Bioware games. They cater to that 'just make me feel powerful but don't make me think'. For me mindless button mashing combat that is easy enough that you don't have to worry about dying and having to reload is totally pointless. I'd rather just skip that entirely if there is a good story to follow. If there is no good story as is the case with most computer games then I just want to find the menu with 'exit' in it and get that massive waste of hard drive space off my computer.
The codex list is all brainless. There is not even 1% of that list that cares about the choices the make. They are either old school where you can do anything and kill anyone and anything goes. Or they are new and streamlined and don't have any meaningful choices at all. Overall this was a very disappointing post to reply to.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom