Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Shadenuat

Arcane
MoTB is closer to what I would call PK level of stressfulness for casuals. Naturally great gaem, devs would never do it again.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. However railroading is annoying in an RPG, and everyone but the Kingmaker Defense Force knows it.

I agree that instead of railroading, they could have implemented the timed stuff in a better way. For example, instead of your kingdom being insta destroyed, you having a hard quest to defend him. Branches of story instead of a story line. But my point is that time itself is not the problem. On M&B, failing in a quest due time has impact on your reputation, profits, relations, etc but doesn't automatically means a game over. Having a optional druid quest that starts on solstice would be cool too.

Or having a villain who wanna to become a lich becoming far harder if you fail to destroy him in time. That would be cool. Some endings on ToEE can only be obtained if you kill the final boss less than 3 days after completing a quest. Times can work in games.

I love PF:KM but the time itself could be better explored.

Efe

Erudite
its not insta destroyed. what you are doing is akin to going around with 1 hp in a game and then complain every enemy instagibs you.

doing stuff in time leads to better outcomes. its not plentiful but it is there, not to mention the obvious bonus to your kingdom not dealing with problem cards
So what are you even talking about? a bunch of nothing?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree that instead of railroading, they could have implemented the timed stuff in a better way. For example, instead of your kingdom being insta destroyed, you having a hard quest to defend him. Branches of story instead of a story line. But my point is that time itself is not the problem. On M&B, failing in a quest due time has impact on your reputation, profits, relations, etc but doesn't automatically means a game over. Having a optional druid quest that starts on solstice would be cool too.

Or having a villain who wanna to become a lich becoming far harder if you fail to destroy him in time. That would be cool. Some endings on ToEE can only be obtained if you kill the final boss less than 3 days after completing a quest. Times can work in games.

I was probably too snarky earlier, the Codex does that to you. I agree there is merit to the time mechanic. I actually like it in a lot of different ways, though I wouldn't want every game to use it because it restricts freedom. I never really complained about before now, I respected what it was trying to do. I just think the multiple long story sections in chapter 4 (?) all in a row are a little over the top. I'd like to roam around and do side stuff a little between main quests, and I'd like to get around to those 2 week long rank ups in my capital before I grow old and die. Also I dislike how some timed stuff is clearly labeled, while others are not. Still I like the concept, I just think the execution needs a little work.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't remember there being any consequences for it. I don't see why you would genocide them though....

Same reason your favorite companion offed her family, I'd imagine. Same thing kobolds and mites and gobs and that other lizard tribe would do if they could get away with it. Better/more realistic design would have involved making getting away with it a good bit more challenging, akin to that other evil Lizard tribe you run into later.
For what it's worth. You can redeem Jaethal. Just because someone is evil, doesn't mean they aren't capable of change.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Speaking of the lizardmen, what determines whether or not you can save the kid from Lord Glowy Skull ? Does it depend on how much time it took you to reach the village after receiving the quest ?
Speaking of the lizardmen, what determines whether or not you can save the kid from Lord Glowy Skull ? Does it depend on how much time it took you to reach the village after receiving the quest ?

Wisps feed on fear and he's a scared kid. You need to do everything you can to stop him from being afraid.
I didn't say anything to the kid and was able to save him just thanks to a successful Knowledge Arcana check followed by a Glitterdust.

I guess there may be a few ways. But there are also the things you can do around the village with the lizardmen for their fear, not sure if you did those.
Yes, I did the three tasks for the lizardmen, but I thought those served the purpose of removing some enemies from the last fight.

Hm, not sure if this should be spoilered or not.

The lizardmen are all afraid and their fear makes the wisp stronger. Relieving fear in the lizardmen and the kid weaken it. The upshot is that if the wisp is still too strong from the fear, it blows up the kid before you can do anything. There was a rumour that the remove fear spell might help too, but I'm not sure if that was ever verified. Same deal with protection from electricity on the kid.
Yeah, mediocrepoet is right. To weaken the wisp, you have to tell the kid that his mother loves him very much, and that everything will be okay. You then need to talk to the lizards and complete their tasks. You also need to see the lizard shaman too.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't remember there being any consequences for it. I don't see why you would genocide them though....

Same reason your favorite companion offed her family, I'd imagine. Same thing kobolds and mites and gobs and that other lizard tribe would do if they could get away with it. Better/more realistic design would have involved making getting away with it a good bit more challenging, akin to that other evil Lizard tribe you run into later.
For what it's worth. You can redeem Jaethal. Just because someone is evil, doesn't mean they aren't capable of change.

Of course, that's the underlying theme of the whole game.

On your knees!.jpg

Until she gets there she's still evil though, and evil sucks. Wiping out a village for 600 measly EXP kind of sucking.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
. However railroading is annoying in an RPG, and everyone but the Kingmaker Defense Force knows it.

I thought double-crossing the player right when you're relieved to have finally made it through VTomb was brilliant, really heightened the suspense. Where they really dropped the ball is that when you finally are able to get back to your kingdom there's not much meaningful left to do, like there is during previous breathers.

Desiderius

Patron
Avellone getting his digs in:

Poor Amiri.jpg

Cool add from Wildcards:

Mountaineering.jpg

Missed getting it in time for Talon Peak though. Triggers on Varnhold disappearing I think and I triggered the artisan quest too soon.

Oof!.jpg

Val's pet who's been more or less soloing the whole game to this point finally meets her match. She did end up surviving the fight tho. 40 flat-footed is no joke. Harrim's Destructive Aura powered through his DR and he was down in less than two turns.

Big DC Harrim.jpg

Artisans decided Harrim should be a Necromancer this game. So be it. Fear underrated. Especially in a field of Cave Fangs from Val.

Cave Fangs from Feyspeaker Val.jpg

Damage + Slow + Prone (on failed Reflex) + Persistent + multiple uses per cast = Druid's best spell.

Val's Cave Fangs.jpg

It's not enemies only so use with care.

Octavia getting in on the fun - break their legs with Cave Fangs, then knock 'em across the battlefield:

Cave Fangs + Battering Blast.jpg

Can also use Battering Blast to trigger AoOs:

Bull Rush AoO.jpg

Force Damage + extra Blast per 5 caster lvls + Sneaks on each = pretty solid.

RNG hates me!

Unfair!.jpg

Oh well, I'll just play undead...

Tough Trickery.jpg

Forgot to memorize a Raise Dead, so time to reload like a PinkEye.

TBC...

Desiderius

Patron
>Forgot to memorize a Raise Dead, so time to reload like a PinkEye.
Wub wub wub wub wub wub.

Ghost Baron

Undead Baron.jpg

Back to regularly Scheduled Programming: Bombs still good

Bomb DC.jpg

If you like casting Cone Spells, Reg is your man due to the Combat Casting feat he comes with:

King of Cones.jpg

And he's got Image, Blur, Shield and the like to protect himself. Pretty solid frontliner. Shitty Thundercaller though since it's hard to do much with those Sonic Bursts on Unfair.

Stunning Barrier stays on until it works.jpg

Stunning Barrier stays on until it works (didn't understand that until this playthrough) making it better than it looks. Good action economy. One round stun is enough since it makes them a sitting duck while taking the heat off. Extended version gives 12s stun.

MC Grenadier starting to make his presence felt. Fortitude is weak save for fey and Blindness is the bread and butter condition to apply in this game:

MC showing up in combat.jpg

See also:

Some things Ghosts aren't immune to.jpg

You do need a plan for Plague Storm when fighting ghosts tho.

Plague Storm OP.jpg

Looking forward to Sensei Advice: Purity of Body (Disease Immunity) for owning the Ghost Mage punks.

One thing I won't have is a CleaveBooter. Ridiculous OP (credit to the great Haplo):

Cleavebooter OP.jpg

Some tips on high level skill checks:

Tough Nature Lore Check.jpg

Knowledge is Power.jpg

Vatnik Wumao
Maybe they didn't have time to design all of the HQ ones in time for release?

Then again, they could've released them in a patch as well, so dunno.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Blowguns? Did anyone know about these. I think they were left on the item tables but they don't have models or anything. Equipping it and using it is just a one handed invisible melee weapon.

ptSRTfJ.jpg

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Maybe they didn't have time to design all of the HQ ones in time for release?

Then again, they could've released them in a patch as well, so dunno.
Eh, you raise a good point. Regardless these are the types of mods I like in my games. Texture mods are always welcomed. Makes me wonder about the sequel though.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wisps feed on fear and he's a scared kid. You need to do everything you can to stop him from being afraid.
Or you can do everything to feed this sweet lizard fear to the wisp, then sacrifice the moronic lizard advisor, and then noble Count Shimmerglow decides that he tasted enough to release the boy.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Why is it that I see Haplo's vital strike Sword Saint build dealing 2d6 Holy damage to a Wild Hunt Scout that's clearly not Evil?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone played the Call of the Wild mod( https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/112?tab=description ) is the implementation of witch pnp like? There is the Ice Tomb hex? If yes, how do i install mods on kingmaker?
You need to download and install Unity Mod Manager, then you download your mod through manual download and you should get a .zip file: simply launch Unity Mod Manager executable, select Pathfinder in the games list and drop the .zip for the mod in the box.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why is it that I see Haplo's vital strike Sword Saint build dealing 2d6 Holy damage to a Wild Hunt Scout that's clearly not Evil?

They are chaotic though. Axiomatic isn't coded as separate damage type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom