Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pffft I got tired of Regongar hitting on me. At least you can tell someone in real life not to bother you, but Regongar does not stop.
I embraced both of them in a happy 3-some. That is why I call them the best written characters in the game.

Also, Regongar is actually quite vulnerable, and strictly lawful or rude answers turn him off quickly.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Pffft I got tired of Regongar hitting on me. At least you can tell someone in real life not to bother you, but Regongar does not stop.
I embraced both of them in a happy 3-some. That is why I call them the best written characters in the game.

Also, Regongar is actually quite vulnerable, and strictly lawful or rude answers turn him off quickly.
That's what I'm talking about. If you're going MFM threesome, you're both focused on the lady while you're high-fiivng. (The Eiffel Tower, you know? haha)

Also. I know he's vulnerable. He already seems a little awkward. And you know what? That just makes me look down on him.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
"Doesn't bother me morally but in amoral hellworld I'll just have him hauled away by the prison guards on a whim."

Turns out that whole morality thing wasn't such a scam after all.

Morality
BY MATTHEW ARNOLD
We cannot kindle when we will
The fire which in the heart resides;
The spirit bloweth and is still,
In mystery our soul abides.
But tasks in hours of insight will'd
Can be through hours of gloom fulfill'd.

With aching hands and bleeding feet
We dig and heap, lay stone on stone;
We bear the burden and the heat
Of the long day, and wish 'twere done.
Not till the hours of light return,
All we have built do we discern.

Then, when the clouds are off the soul,
When thou dost bask in Nature's eye,
Ask, how she view'd thy self-control,
Thy struggling, task'd morality—
Nature, whose free, light, cheerful air,
Oft made thee, in thy gloom, despair.

And she, whose censure thou dost dread,
Whose eye thou wast afraid to seek,
See, on her face a glow is spread,
A strong emotion on her cheek!
"Ah, child!" she cries, "that strife divine,
Whence was it, for it is not mine?

"There is no effort on my brow—
I do not strive, I do not weep;
I rush with the swift spheres and glow
In joy, and when I will, I sleep.
Yet that severe, that earnest air,
I saw, I felt it once—but where?

"I knew not yet the gauge of time,
Nor wore the manacles of space;
I felt it in some other clime,
I saw it in some other place.
'Twas when the heavenly house I trod,
And lay upon the breast of God."

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43595/morality

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
He's surprisingly obedient for a Chaotic Evil Half-Orc.
Yeah, see, I don't like obedience. It just feels so submissive. Thus I'm the Magus.

I dunno about you but "bro" means someone you play the insult game with. And troll. I have more secure gay friends.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He's evil by circumstance, Chaotic by race and disposition.

The former is more malleable and in my playthroughs malleated.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
He's evil by circumstance, Chaotic by race and disposition.

The former is more malleable and in my playthroughs malleated.
He's malleable? So he can't change for himself and depends on someone else to change them?

I mean, if he started arguing with me one time. I would like him.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I dunno about you but "bro" means someone you play the insult game with. And troll. I have more secure gay friends.
Oh, I joke around with him well enough and I do enjoy his puns. But he always backs down on the important decisions, after a token effort for the evil choice. I don't blame him for this, as Desiderius says he hasn't be taught better. And he does learn by the end of the game.

Actually, harassment is illegal, doesn't matter what you're harassed abot.
You do realise you are literally the Law in the kingdom, right? Why do you expect him to stop if the Law doesn't slap him back on this?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well, he was an abused slave before joining the Baron. IMHO it's more important than bisexuality in Paizo SJW-friendly setting.

The funny thing is the abuse he suffered and his relative weakness as a natural caster actually saved him and taught to control his own power. A very Russian take on slavery I'd say.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I joke around with him well enough and I do enjoy his puns. But he always backs down on the important decisions, after a token effort for the evil choice. I don't blame him for this, as Desiderius says he hasn't be taught better. And he does learn by the end of the game.
Uh, when I mean joke, I mean coming up with better insults and smacking each other and then getting drunk. Not in that order, necessarily.

I don't like that he backs down. I want someone with the willingness to challenge me. Like I said, PST works because you're all learning from each other and teaching each other. If I'm not challenged.. that's honestly terribly terribly boring.

Actually, harassment is illegal, doesn't matter what you're harassed abot.
You do realise you are literally the Law in the kingdom, right? Why do you expect him to stop if the Law doesn't slap him back on this?[/QUOTE]omg I was making a joke about IRL

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, he was an abused slave before joining the Baron. IMHO it's more important than bisexuality in Paizo SJW-friendly setting.

The funny thing is the abuse he suffered and his relative weakness as a natural caster actually saved him and tought to control his own power. A very Russian take on slavery I'd say.
I have nothing wrong with him being bisexual. Not like I haven't been in one. I find him pitiful right now, before I even knew his story. That's not someone I need leading my army.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
YES Keen Scimitar lol now I'll just put my arcana on Fire+Shock+Frost jk

Edit: Holy shit, finally a magical Fauchard. Yes, indeed I do trip. The hilarious thing about Battle Mystery is that the Revelations are: Maneuver Mastery of your choice, Proficiency in armor/weapons, a Pounce... and Wall of Fire. This is Valerie btw (Fighter 1/Oracle 8). And I've actually always used her as fauchard+combat reflexes board control. THEN I get Wall of Fire. And as she levels, my maneuvers go all the way up. So I can also charge with a trip maneuver and then AoO when they fall. At reach. With a crit range of 18-20.

The surprising thing is that's where "Wall of Fire"* comes from. I mean, there aren't really any Spells or SLA in Battle Mystery. Mostly just martial stuff, as mentioned above, another Revelation was boosting initiative. And then I guess Stoneskin Revelation counts as SLA.

Battle is a really good Mystery for melee+control Oracle. And if you want to do melee+anticaster, Dragon Mystery does that. I had to think to pick between the two, though, because control and anticaster were my mutually exclusive choices. On a serious note I think that's pretty good design to have two "roles" in each Mystery, a little versatility.

Mmmm. and then I'm giving Jaethal "Reaping Stalker" next level. It increases the damage of a Scythe or Sickle as if you went up a larger size but no other penalties. So it's nice flavor. Thing is... the Scythe is also a Trip weapon.

I actually do have a "pet" way of doing things... All the shenanigans I talked about depend on having a plethora of options. In other words... I like to play resourceful but unlike McGuyver, I bring my own toolbox. I suppose you could say my "optimal party" is one that gives me room to be creative when I am playing the battlefield. For example, I like to have a decision to make every turn - that means I have several options and I pick the best (or maybe even set a new plan). Obviously you have to balance strength and versatility. But it is extremely useful to have several ways of performing a similar role: (A) It gives you redundancy and (B) I can decide who does what, adapting based on the encounter and every change in things during the fight.

However. These are not hard and fast rules. Because the only way to win is to break the rules. You don't want to do what they expect you to do. You do the opposite. If that makes any sense.

*(Wall of Fire is more like "you're going to get burnt if you run pass this line" debuff/deterrence. It doesn't block them. But it will divide them if they have different AI - the ones who are scripted to keep safe and the ones who are scripted to be aggressive. And now that I know Wall of Fire can be used that way, now I think about what other ways I could use it, what other scenarios, etc. I honestly cannot say I use the same spell for the same reason every encounter. It's always different. This is my "toolbox." And fighting "AI psychology" lol. I don't know about you guys but my favorite way to win is by outsmarting the enemy, best with lesser forces.)

Last edited:

Jackpot

Learned
I'm curious, what's the codex's opinion on the "send Jaethal in to an encounter and have her slowly whittle down the enemies by attacking them once, dying, and reviving over and over again" strategy?
It let me get through a couple areas in the early game without having to waste a rest, but I didn't really use it past Chapter 2 or 3.

Is it used more widely at higher difficulty levels?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm curious, what's the codex's opinion on the "send Jaethal in to an encounter and have her slowly whittle down the enemies by attacking them once, dying, and reviving over and over again" strategy?
Did you ask Jaethal for her opinion on it?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It let me get through a couple areas in the early game without having to waste a rest, but I didn't really use it past Chapter 2 or 3.

Is it used more widely at higher difficulty levels?
Why would you play such a beautiful game in such a miserable way? Usually, I try to have fun while playing and that sounds the opposite of fun.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
YES Keen Scimitar lol now I'll just put my arcana on Fire+Shock+Frost jk

Edit: Holy shit, finally a magical Fauchard. Yes, indeed I do trip. The hilarious thing about Battle Mystery is that the Revelations are: Maneuver Mastery of your choice, Proficiency in armor/weapons, a Pounce... and Wall of Fire. This is Valerie btw (Fighter 1/Oracle 8). And I've actually always used her as fauchard+combat reflexes board control. THEN I get Wall of Fire. And as she levels, my maneuvers go all the way up. So I can also charge with a trip maneuver and then AoO when they fall. At reach. With a crit range of 18-20.

The surprising thing is that's where "Wall of Fire"* comes from. I mean, there aren't really any Spells or SLA in Battle Mystery. Mostly just martial stuff, as mentioned above, another Revelation was boosting initiative. And then I guess Stoneskin Revelation counts as SLA.

Battle is a really good Mystery for melee+control Oracle. And if you want to do melee+anticaster, Dragon Mystery does that. I had to think to pick between the two, though, because control and anticaster were my mutually exclusive choices. On a serious note I think that's pretty good design to have two "roles" in each Mystery, a little versatility.

Mmmm. and then I'm giving Jaethal "Reaping Stalker" next level. It increases the damage of a Scythe or Sickle as if you went up a larger size but no other penalties. So it's nice flavor. Thing is... the Scythe is also a Trip weapon.

Cool but... that's Kingmaker the computer game, not Pathfinder tabletop.
Scythes have no advantage to tripping here. Unless CotW gave them something?

Fauchards on the other hand... yeah, Owlcat gave the uniques some cool abilities related to Combat Maneuvers. Wait till you see the Mastery fauchard.

Still, you trip in close combat range, can't trip at weapon's reach (size increases do help, though)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom