Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They were trying to teach people, lube up, bitches!
It's misleading though. Once you reach level 5 the difficulty kind of goes down. Especially when you start prebuffing with good spells.
Eh, not really. If you screw around without locking down the troll boss in Trobold, he can one shot your characters.
You can figure out swarms by reading. If you can't figure things out because you don't read, you're going to have trouble like getting one shot by the troll boss or even being upset that certain creatures like trolls and some fey regenerate or "can't be killed". People complained about that in this thread, nevermind others.

Sure, once you have all the systems down, the difficulty curve flattens out as you level, but if you don't even pay attention to vulnerabilities, immunities, and resistances, at minimum, you're in for a rough time.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Since we're posting cheese:

Play with xp sharing to all. After you beat the bandits at Oleg's, don't just buy a handful of mercs -- stay at xp level 1 and buy 30, 50 or more. Buy every possible build you would want to use at any point in the game. Buy multiples of your favorite ones and many of the low level ones (example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, weapon focus bardiche, precise strike. Example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, 18 dex, point blank shot, precise shot ). Buy 4-5 advisor mercs to cover all stats, in case you lose some real advisors during the game.

When you run out of money, strip all your mercs and sell your junk items items. When you run out of money again, do a quick trip to a couple easy locations to gather treasure.

Once you have your full roster of mercs, you are ready to play for real. Now, each time you go out on a run, you can put together whatever party works best for the upcoming areas, while your other 50 characters sit back at base leveling up for free. If a character dies, you don't need to waste 6k gold on a raise dead -- dump the corpse and swap in his clone. When you return to base, you don't always need to spend 8 hours resting -- swap in five non-fatigued characters who have fresh spells. When you are finally forced to rest at Oleg's, your entire roster will heal and regain spells, not just the active party.

Pretty bold to assume that it will not cause any crash or technical issues.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, and you're wrong. If you had your teleporters up on *time* then it wouldn't take you a whole day to get where you need to go.

Dumbfuck, I had teleporters up super early. Eat shit with your pathetic attempts at proving you are superior at the game and assuming what I am doing. I had all areas fully cleared and nowhere to do anything.
Pics or it didn’t happen.

You didn’t have anything to do because your artisans sucked and you hadn’t unlocked their quests yet or unlocked entire regions you could have already.

If your KM pace is what it should be you always have too much to do until after Pitax when it no longer matters.

Pls try to stay on topic, which is not my superiority but your general inferiority due to blaming things on the game instead of figuring out how to improve.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point.
What's hilarious is that swarms are rare encounters. I'm really not sure what Owlcat was trying to teach the player with that encounter.
Don’t get sidetracked by your stoner friends?

Main problem is that they think bombs (item not ability) and torches are actually effective against them. Maybe in a Gygax AD&D sense where you just reroll your character when they die.

Yeah, and you're wrong. If you had your teleporters up on *time* then it wouldn't take you a whole day to get where you need to go.

Dumbfuck, I had teleporters up super early. Eat shit with your pathetic attempts at proving you are superior at the game and assuming what I am doing. I had all areas fully cleared and nowhere to do anything.
Pics or it didn’t happen.

You didn’t have anything to do because your artisans sucked and you hadn’t unlocked their quests yet or unlocked entire regions you could have already.

If your KM pace is what it should be you always have too much to do until after Pitax when it no longer matters.

Pls try to stay on topic, which is not my superiority but your general inferiority due to blaming things on the game instead of figuring out how to improve.
Sounds like you are bad at the game if you weren't able to clean out areas before the next chapter unlock.

I’m not assuming anything. You’re the one who said you’ve missed items you wanted and ran out of things to do. Both signs that your KM is poor.

You did take the loan, right?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/timevalueofmoney.asp#toc-what-is-the-time-value-of-money-tvm
literally never ran out of BP.

The items are RNG and requirements are obscure and stupid.

Last edited:

vibehunter

Learned
Has anyone gotten horrendous FPS drops during Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC? I'm talking below 30. I was fighting some elementals and when they did the Whirlwind attack the FPS got absolutely raped for some reason. I had to restart the game to fix it. I never experienced this during my campaign playthrough. I have a pretty good PC as well.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
Some of you seem to prefer small parties, so here's a strategy tip for those:

After you build your real party, for each empty spot remaining, hire a 20 STR Huntsmaster with bear pet. Strip off their gear and sell it. In your first battle, run the huntmasters ahead alone so they'll die. Keep their dead portraits in your party for the rest of the game.

Their pets will remain with the party, helping in combat, with Perception checks, and carrying capacity. When a pet dies, it will come back after a rest as usual, even though its master is still dead.

Of course you'll have XP sharing set to active characters only, and dead characters in party don't count as active. Your real party members will get the same small party xp gains they would without the dead guys.

Best of all, dead characters and pets do continue to contribute carrying capacity

Damn, that's a cool trick. I'll file it under the "things I would never actually use but fun to think about" category.

In fact, you could combine that with my cleric/sacred huntsmaster trick to have double leveled pets that tag along with the party. Then run only your MC and blaze to level 20 at trivial difficulty getting carried by level 16 pets.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
In fact, you could combine that with my cleric/sacred huntsmaster trick to have double leveled pets that tag along with the party
The pets won't level up, because their dead owners aren't leveling up.

But if you can afford to buy on a new merc whenever you want a pet upgrade, it will be very strong. For example, a level 9 MC (end of act 1) can buy level 9 mercs for 40k gold each; with your cleric/huntsmaster build they will effectively be level 14 pet owners, therefore level 12 pets. The pets will have a full complement of teamwork feats; those keep working even when the owner is dead. Five of those pets (just 200k gold!) will absolutely demolish act 2. Main character can be a sorc to buff them.

I have beaten the standalone dungeon DLC on unfair with roughly this strat. I didn't know about the cleric/huntsmaster trick, so this wasn't even at full power, but it worked amazingly well. Due to a bug design choice, you can hire high level mercs quite cheaply in that mode, so I was able to upgrade my team every few levels as needed.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
Due to a bug design choice, you can hire high level mercs quite cheaply in that mode

Figured I would make a separate post to explain this, since it only applies to standalone endless dungeon.

In normal Kingmaker, you buy mercs at safe areas like Oleg's or your capitol. Your normal party members are effectively on the bench when this is happening, and your MC is temporarily solo. So the game charges you for the new merc based on your MC's level, and then gives you a merc of that level.

In the endless dungeon, when you buy mercs, you can choose to have your other characters in the active party (up to 6 total as usual), or you can choose to have some or all of them on the bench. (The bench can hold dozens of characters, maybe infinite.) The game charges you for the new merc based on your average active party level , and then gives you a merc of your MC's level.

So the strategy is to keep five level 1 chumps on your bench (it doesn't even matter if they are alive for this trick), and swap them into the main party when you want to buy new mercs. For example, a level 9 MC with 5 chumps has an average party level of 14/6 = 2.33, which rounds off to 2. You will be charged for a level 2 merc, 2000 gold, but receive a brand new level 9 merc. This merc can have a level 8 pet (normal huntsmaster build) or level 12 pet (cleric/huntsmaster bug build). Either way, because your MC is overleveled from playing "solo", these pets will be facing monsters meant for a level 5 party.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I haven't been using Harrim so I built him as a straight Cleric and brought him to the Dwarf Ruins for his quest. I know you all think all the companions are awesome, and basically all of the companions have grown on me after I've realized what they're useful for, but Harrim is complete and utter shit. He's a completely shit cleric and completely shit at being a tank. I regret not making him a druid or something, so at least he'd have an animal.

rojay

Scholar
I haven't been using Harrim so I built him as a straight Cleric and brought him to the Dwarf Ruins for his quest. I know you all think all the companions are awesome, and basically all of the companions have grown on me after I've realized what they're useful for, but Harrim is complete and utter shit. He's a completely shit cleric and completely shit at being a tank. I regret not making him a druid or something, so at least he'd have an animal.
What if I told you that instead of Harrim, you could have seventeen hired mercs with animals and you could trivialize the whole game? Would you buy that for a dollar? Because we're having a fucking sale, apparently, and everything must go.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Due to a bug design choice, you can hire high level mercs quite cheaply in that mode

Figured I would make a separate post to explain this, since it only applies to standalone endless dungeon.

In normal Kingmaker, you buy mercs at safe areas like Oleg's or your capitol. Your normal party members are effectively on the bench when this is happening, and your MC is temporarily solo. So the game charges you for the new merc based on your MC's level, and then gives you a merc of that level.

In the endless dungeon, when you buy mercs, you can choose to have your other characters in the active party (up to 6 total as usual), or you can choose to have some or all of them on the bench. (The bench can hold dozens of characters, maybe infinite.) The game charges you for the new merc based on your average active party level , and then gives you a merc of your MC's level.

So the strategy is to keep five level 1 chumps on your bench (it doesn't even matter if they are alive for this trick), and swap them into the main party when you want to buy new mercs. For example, a level 9 MC with 5 chumps has an average party level of 14/6 = 2.33, which rounds off to 2. You will be charged for a level 2 merc, 2000 gold, but receive a brand new level 9 merc. This merc can have a level 8 pet (normal huntsmaster build) or level 12 pet (cleric/huntsmaster bug build). Either way, because your MC is overleveled from playing "solo", these pets will be facing monsters meant for a level 5 party.
10/10, even a capitalist couldn't exploit his workers better.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Still playing your first game in unfair ?

Stoned Ape

Savant
Harrim is strong as a necromancer (especially after you get the right items for him). He also does ok with one-handed flail and shield, but he's not really useful as a tank until higher level when he gets stronger combat buffs. Personally, I think he starts to get noticeably more powerful around 9th level and just gets better after that. I'd take the spell focus (+greater) in necromancy along with Outflank ASAP, then spell penetration feats at 13th and 15th level.

Yosharian

Arcane
That's not been my experience but I have been playing with Insane monster stats I suppose. Anyway I found that I really needed the Spell Penetration feats earlier, around level 9-10 preferably

Max Damage

Savant
Is it just me, or it's really weird that there's no option to retreat? This is one of most immersive D&D games I've ever played, yet, like in PoE, you're trapped in area until victorious (or dead). It's not a dealbreaker in the bigger picture, just strange that even random encounters don't allow you to run away once you're in, used to be common sense feature long ago.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Play with xp sharing to all. After you beat the bandits at Oleg's, don't just buy a handful of mercs -- stay at xp level 1 and buy 30, 50 or more. Buy every possible build you would want to use at any point in the game. Buy multiples of your favorite ones and many of the low level ones (example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, weapon focus bardiche, precise strike. Example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, 18 dex, point blank shot, precise shot ). Buy 4-5 advisor mercs to cover all stats, in case you lose some real advisors during the game.

When you run out of money, strip all your mercs and sell your junk items items. When you run out of money again, do a quick trip to a couple easy locations to gather treasure.

Once you have your full roster of mercs, you are ready to play for real. Now, each time you go out on a run, you can put together whatever party works best for the upcoming areas, while your other 50 characters sit back at base leveling up for free. If a character dies, you don't need to waste 6k gold on a raise dead -- dump the corpse and swap in his clone. When you return to base, you don't always need to spend 8 hours resting -- swap in five non-fatigued characters who have fresh spells. When you are finally forced to rest at Oleg's, your entire roster will heal and regain spells, not just the active party.
Epic example of brilliant (and completely autistic at the same time) muchkinism. Hats off.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

That's Desiderius in a nutshell, he basically does what you described for a living. Leave it, this is "a strange game, the only winning move is not to play". Regardless of who is right in this case, him or you.

Desiderius

Patron
Serus he refuses to answer any of my questions. Totally blowing smoke. Given what he describes of his results super early could be Chapter Five.

People talk shit about games and never even try to figure anything out. The point is that I'm *not* a genius. I just read and try different things and end up running circles around the butthurt who never even try. Including IIRC you on more than one occasion.

Then I get owned by speedrunner types who come up with shit I'd never dream of. But I don't get all resentful and bizarrely cry that they're idiots or autstic or whatever.

Seems like for you guys the winning move is to never play but just sit around negative theorycrafting and ankle-biting anyone who does.

Desiderius

Patron
Yet again, it's you that sucks, not Harrim.

Another example of same phenomenon as above, but at least Incorrect Charlie here is playing the game.

Desiderius

Patron

Epic example of brilliant (and completely autistic at the same time) muchkinism. Hats off.
It's... not brilliant. Pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom