Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Stoned Ape

Savant
What Codex side quest? I completed Armag at level 17 or so, and am in Pitax. I don't see the side quest with a ton of XP.
It's north-west of Pitax, and south-west of the lake. You should find a door in the middle of nowhere.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
What Codex side quest? I completed Armag at level 17 or so, and am in Pitax. I don't see the side quest with a ton of XP.
It's north-west of Pitax, and south-west of the lake. You should find a door in the middle of nowhere.
I did that one. Kill the female demon. Nothing spectacular and certainly not getting me to level 20.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did that one. Kill the female demon. Nothing spectacular and certainly not getting me to level 20.

Means you didn't attempt/pass all the relevant skillchecks available during that quest. Both at the location and from the quest givers and their crew in the Pitax Tavern. I think there were at least 6-7 skilchecks with major xp rewards possible.

The only single check that offers a similar reward was at the Armag's Tomb (provided that you take the most difficult version of the check).

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Means you didn't attempt/pass all the relevant skillchecks available during that quest. Both at the location and from the quest givers and their crew in the Pitax Tavern. I think there were at least 6-7 skilchecks with major xp rewards possible.

The only single check that offers a similar reward was at the Armag's Tomb (provided that you take the most difficult version of the check).
That would be because I did it before Pitax opened up...

I found the door, opened it and did everything there including keeping Blakemore alive.

And yes, I passed the DC 50 Intimidate check in Armag. High level Inquisitors are fun like that...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I found the door, opened it and did everything there including keeping Blakemore alive.

Should have received a healthy amount of xp for opening the door and finishing the Codex then. But at the Tavern, there were 3 or 4 more possible checks related to the quest.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Should have received a healthy amount of xp for opening the door and finishing the Codex then. But at the Tavern, there were 3 or 4 more possible checks related to the quest.
Yeah. Missed opportunity. That is what you get for playing the game blind... :D

How's leveling supposed to work in this game? Should you turn on XP for all party members? Or should you only have it on for the teammembers you want to use, and level the rest up through training if you want to use them?

Also, are there any time penalties in the second half of the game? Or is it OK to skip days in your barony to get rid of quests and get dat BP?
Just leave it on for everyone imo. You can still make level 20 by the end of the game and sometimes you will want to or have to swap guys in and out, especially in the late game. The game is balanced around having XP sharing enabled at all times.

You CAN switch it to active party only at the beginning... but as Desiderius wrote, the gains are not significant and soon you should turn it off.

However if you play a skill monkey, there are possible huge gains from passing skillchecks with the option "Only skill user gets experience from skills". Early on Trickery trap disarming provides a lot of xp.
In the 2nd half of the game, you should focus on Persuasion, however. There's something like 2 levels worth of xp in late game Persuasion checks (particularly during the Codex side-quest in Act 5!). This leads to level 20 during Act 5, rather then at the end of the game.

Note this actually helps your other party members long-term, as there are at least 2 instances troughout the game when you get separated and the rest of the party xp-matches the main char upon rejoining.

Yep, and you can turn the "only skill user gains experience from skills" option on and off from within dialogs even.

You can get something like 300k XP from a single super high persuasion skill check.

And yes, I passed the DC 50 Intimidate check in Armag. High level Inquisitors are fun like that...

Damn, you miss content for exploring early? That fucking sucks. Doubly shitty design considering the game basically tells you "you can't get into Pitax for a few months, go explore in the meantime.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
Since we're posting cheese:

Play with xp sharing to all. After you beat the bandits at Oleg's, don't just buy a handful of mercs -- stay at xp level 1 and buy 30, 50 or more. Buy every possible build you would want to use at any point in the game. Buy multiples of your favorite ones and many of the low level ones (example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, weapon focus bardiche, precise strike. Example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, 18 dex, point blank shot, precise shot ). Buy 4-5 advisor mercs to cover all stats, in case you lose some real advisors during the game.

When you run out of money, strip all your mercs and sell your junk items items. When you run out of money again, do a quick trip to a couple easy locations to gather treasure.

Once you have your full roster of mercs, you are ready to play for real. Now, each time you go out on a run, you can put together whatever party works best for the upcoming areas, while your other 50 characters sit back at base leveling up for free. If a character dies, you don't need to waste 6k gold on a raise dead -- dump the corpse and swap in his clone. When you return to base, you don't always need to spend 8 hours resting -- swap in five non-fatigued characters who have fresh spells. When you are finally forced to rest at Oleg's, your entire roster will heal and regain spells, not just the active party.

Normally when I return to town (time at Oleg's is irrelevant) it involves a 14 day break anyway so I'm not seeing a huge advantage. Paying 1k in chapter 1 to possibly save 6k on a raise dead 50 hours later sounds like a pretty bad deal. Just managing all the characters and items sounds like it'd be tedious, especially just scrolling back and forth trying to manage all those characters.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm so obsessed with this game. I'm only halfway through chapter 2, yet I'm 91 hours in, partially because I kept restarting. I have a terrible impulse of playing the kingdom management, then realizing I've let the time limits slip, so going back to complete quests. I've finally decided that I need to just ignore the kingdom management and do quests until there's nothing left to do, letting the kingdom stuff advance as I camp between locations.

Anyhow, this game has become like crack to me, but there's so much more left. At this rate, I'm going to be playing it for like 500 hours.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Since we're posting cheese:

Play with xp sharing to all. After you beat the bandits at Oleg's, don't just buy a handful of mercs -- stay at xp level 1 and buy 30, 50 or more. Buy every possible build you would want to use at any point in the game. Buy multiples of your favorite ones and many of the low level ones (example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, weapon focus bardiche, precise strike. Example: human mad dog barbarian, 20 str, 18 dex, point blank shot, precise shot ). Buy 4-5 advisor mercs to cover all stats, in case you lose some real advisors during the game.

When you run out of money, strip all your mercs and sell your junk items items. When you run out of money again, do a quick trip to a couple easy locations to gather treasure.

Once you have your full roster of mercs, you are ready to play for real. Now, each time you go out on a run, you can put together whatever party works best for the upcoming areas, while your other 50 characters sit back at base leveling up for free. If a character dies, you don't need to waste 6k gold on a raise dead -- dump the corpse and swap in his clone. When you return to base, you don't always need to spend 8 hours resting -- swap in five non-fatigued characters who have fresh spells. When you are finally forced to rest at Oleg's, your entire roster will heal and regain spells, not just the active party.
Your PC will be bone tired for a very long time...

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Damn, you miss content for exploring early? That fucking sucks. Doubly shitty design considering the game basically tells you "you can't get into Pitax for a few months, go explore in the meantime.
What did you expect? The same group brought us Cyberpunk.

How's leveling supposed to work in this game? Should you turn on XP for all party members? Or should you only have it on for the teammembers you want to use, and level the rest up through training if you want to use them?

Also, are there any time penalties in the second half of the game? Or is it OK to skip days in your barony to get rid of quests and get dat BP?
I turned off XP sharing in Chapter 1 to maximize my MC level. I hit level 6 at the gates if the Staglord, which was critical because it gave my Arcane Trickster level 3 spells.

You shouldn't be skipping many days until Chapter 4, or the end of Chapter 3 if you're doing well. With exception to areas controlled by Pitax (areas to the west of the river), you'll want to constantly explore and clear areas. Fast forwarding time to get more BP before you've explored everything is a bad choice. Expanding your territory as fast and early as possible is the most optimal. It makes chapter 2 rather hectic, but by the end of chapter 3 you will be reaping the benefits throughout the game.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Skipping days means you've missed the entire point of KM.

You shouldn't *want to* skip days. They're your most valuable resource.

Sometimes you have to skip days to get timers to align properly. e.g., you want to do a 14 day activity, but one of your advisors is going to finish up in 1 day and you need to put them on a new problem that is set to expire in 7 days. Ideally you'll always be able to spend spare time adventuring but sometimes there's not enough time to fit a trip somewhere into the schedule (or you're out of places to explore). It's stupid that you can't give assignments while involved in these activities but that's how it is.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I never skip days. There's always something to do.

Of course the result of that was having to skip 237 days at the end since Owlcat didn't finish their damn game.

Yeah, and you're wrong. If you had your teleporters up on *time* then it wouldn't take you a whole day to get where you need to go.

Dumbfuck, I had teleporters up super early. Eat shit with your pathetic attempts at proving you are superior at the game and assuming what I am doing. I had all areas fully cleared and nowhere to do anything.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oooooorrrrrr... what you *can* do is get an MC that gets the Heart of Ira, roll Jaethal and Jubilost. Keep Octavia and Regongar until you find Gears Rule... kick Octavia and Reg out, and have 3 characters that can move perpetually on the map.

Don't roll your eyes, because I know you did. :P

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Just finishing off the troll questline. I have to say that for all the annoying and difficult enemies I've faced thus far, absolutely none have yet matched those fucking spider swarms in that first training dungeon. I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point.
What's hilarious is that swarms are rare encounters. I'm really not sure what Owlcat was trying to teach the player with that encounter.
They were trying to teach people, lube up, bitches! We didn't bring any and this is going to get real. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom