Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I would love to RP as Inquistor who can use paladin/cleric model for example; so after the last hotfix to fix the hotfix to fix the hotfix is the game finally bug free in the first three levels? Have the itch to purge and scourge again.
You don't like THE hat? The hat is the best part of the Inquisitor class in Kingmaker. It's fabulous, I can't stress enough how great it is. Your character can look like it came straight from that one Monthy Python sketch. Or like Zorro if you change the color of the hat to black. I love it.

And as to bugs, I recalled this scene from Babylon 5 TV series. It is an almost perfect metaphor for Kingmaker's history with bugs:

Edit: Watch it to the end, it's less than a minute and there is a punchline.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I logged in and had a bunch from you stalking me. Pretend those say "Stop stalking me you fucking psycho." And seriously, how fucked up do you have to be to rating spree someone and then complain when they do it back to you? I've asked you a million times to leave me alone. Don't rate me, don't post on my page, don't add my name in posts, don't reply to me. Just fuck off. The above wouldn't have happened if you stop stalking me like a fucking lunatic. Leave me alone. You can keep pretending to be smart and know shit, and I'll ignorant retard ramblings, and you do the same.

How autistic does a retard have to be to call someone autistic for doing to her what she did to him? You fucking moronic nuCodexers are out of control.
honest to god i can't believe someone in this world managed to create a person that is in a perpetual state of butthurt about everything like you are, roqua
How do you know he didn't grow from a pustule on Obama's ass like a reverse Athena? Hmm... What was your involvement in that most heinous of acts, eh?

:happytrollboy:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The hat is great, not going to lie.

But I wish we could choose basic outfit. I think the game should give you the default one, to show that it is the assumed/intended look, but then allow you to pick on character creation what you prefer. This is especially obvious with conceptually adjacent characters, such as the Cleric/Paladin/Inquisitor, or Druid/Ranger, or any of the arcane casters. It's understandable that a Crusader would prefer the look of the Paladin outfit rather than the Cleric, and many Inquisitor concepts would probably feel better in the cleric outfit. and don't get me started on the rogue outfit - basically anyone playing a thug or dex-based magus or similar would probably want that one.

Edit: Also, Babylon 5 was fucking amazing. That is all.

bataille

Arcane
Goddamn it. Just when I was pondering the possibility of playing with a party of custom characters, I had to rush my cat to emergency vet for a sudden surgery! She's fine now, recovering like a champ. So I've decided to honour her second shot at life by dismissing all my story companions, cheating to get money, and creating a custom party of cat-themed characters. Now I need to brainstorm some monks, rangers and druids. And no arcane spellcasters! This is gonna be great, I can tell already.
And be more attentive to your pets, people! Don't repeat my mistakes! Maybe it's not that your cat got fat but a sneaky life-threatening disease!

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Goddamn it. Just when I was pondering the possibility of playing with a party of custom characters, I had to rush my cat to emergency vet for a sudden surgery! She's fine now, recovering like a champ. So I've decided to honour her second shot at life by dismissing all my story companions, cheating to get money, and creating a custom party of cat-themed characters. Now I need to brainstorm some monks, rangers and druids. And no arcane spellcasters! This is gonna be great, I can tell already.
And be more attentive to your pets, people! Don't repeat my mistakes! Maybe it's not that your cat got fat but a sneaky life-threatening disease!
Did you really have to ask?

Felicia

th

th

Any class that can get you the claws. Monk would be the best fit, though, in this game. If it was 3.5, I'd have suggested Razorclaw Shifter Unarmed Swordsage/Tigerclaw Master

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What was wrong with your cat? Was it unable to poop, got constipated, and ballooned in size due to accumulated poop, or what? Glad to hear it's doing better. Not a cat person, but cats are still better than people.

bataille

Arcane
Did you really have to ask?

Felicia

th

th

Any class that can get you the claws. Monk would be the best fit, though, in this game. If it was 3.5, I'd have suggested Razorclaw Shifter Unarmed Swordsage/Tigerclaw Master

Yeah, I think I'll create Susan Ashworth and Teacup from Cat Lady. It's either going to be a ranger (well, she used a shotgun at some point of the story) with a panther or some sort of esoteric caster Susan with a half-orc barbarian with beast totem Teacup.
latest

Not so sure about the others. A monk to represent my cat is a must, though, heh.

bataille

Arcane
What was wrong with your cat? Was it unable to poop, got constipated, and ballooned in size due to accumulated poop, or what? Glad to hear it's doing better. Not a cat person, but cats are still better than people.
Thanks. She's a tough cookie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
Her uterus swole and began to produce pus. The vet said that it was a chronic condition in her case, so no wonder it wasn't immediately apparent to me during my visits.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to observe her properly since I rarely lived in my old flat this past year, and her guardians are as blind as bats. Should have neutered her long ago, too, but the life proved to be too distracting to properly get to it. I've learned my lesson, so I'm getting back to my cats so I'll be able to take care of them properly.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Thanks. She's a tough cookie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
Her uterus swole and began to produce pus. The vet said that it was a chronic condition in her case, so no wonder it wasn't immediately apparent to me during my visits.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to observe her properly since I rarely lived in my old flat this past year, and her guardians are as blind as bats. Should have neutered her long ago, too, but the life proved to be too distracting to properly get to it. I've learned my lesson, so I'm getting back to my cats so I'll be able to take care of them properly.
Well great that she's doing well. One day we hope Roqua will have the swelling of his uterus resolved as well.

Turjan

Arcane
Goddamn it. Just when I was Should have neutered her long ago, too, but the life proved to be too distracting to properly get to it. I've learned my lesson, so I'm getting back to my cats so I'll be able to take care of them properly.
It's a common mistake. If you don't let your cat get pregnant during heat, it's big chance this condition develops. Surgery can be quite costly in those cases. Anyway, glad that everything went well.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TLDR; Magus as implemented takes 3x more micromanagement than any other class if you want to use him fully. To be most efficient at low levels you should not be using Spellstrike so you can guarantee your touch spells hitting when you need them but that takes even more micro management.
Least painful way is to use both SpellStrike and Spell Combat and don't use autocasting on any of your spells. Don't bother with Arcane Accuracy unless you want another layer of micromanagement.

Conclusion: I don't think I will be able to use a Magus in my party as I cannot bring myself to not play him as efficiently as possible and that is going to be super irritating. I was hoping he would be a melee guy that you send to attack stuff with autocast fatigue and mostly forget about like I do with Valerie, Jaethal and Amiri and only need to give him new targets and sometimes cast some of the non cantrip spells..

Yeah, I wanted to play a Magus, but it did feel extremely clumsy. Now I know why. Didn't test thoroughly myself, so thank you for that.
Guess I'll skip the Magus then.

Turjan

Arcane
Lost one hour of progress because my characters pet gone missing which lead to me being trapped in throne room waiting for "my party" before venturing forth...
:hahano:
Reminds me of my game when Jaethal got stuck on the corner of that cage she had spent some time in. That's one of the reasons why I miss a console in this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha - too many lore dumps, says RPS! https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/08/pathfinder-kingmaker-review/

Wot I Think - Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Starting a new tabletop RPG campaign is a bit like joining an complicated polyamorous relationship. You have to make sure you like your companions, but most importantly, you and the Dungeon Master must share the same vision. ANYWAY, my point is that in a game of Dungeons & Dragons, some DMs like to follow the rules by the book, others just use rules as a frame to tell a story. Some focus on combat, and some enjoy drama. Some have a very strict plotline to follow, while others start with vague ideas and let the players wander around. There isn’t a right or wrong way of playing. It’s just a matter of finding a group of people who like the same things you like.

Booting up Pathfinder: Kingmaker feels like starting a new tabletop campaign with strangers. After all, the game is a close adaptation of a renowned D&D campaign. But while I have a passing acquaintance with this ruleset, I don’t know what kind of storyteller will guide me through my adventure. What kind of Dungeon Master is it?

I sit at the table, eager to start. The game immediately lends me a character sheet and tells me to make a character. One thing is certain: this DM is not good at dealing with newcomers. It’s not a matter of maliciousness. They are simply so enmeshed in the Pathfinder world, so familiar with its rules, they can’t see why concepts that feel natural to them could also be confusing for new players. It tries to answer my questions, but every new tooltip is as dense as a brick. I’m glad I played a bit of D&D before, or I would be utterly lost. Still, the game feels overwhelming, and this feeling never truly goes away. Dazzled by too many possibilities, I decided to model my character after Griffith from the Berserk manga. I am going to get my own kingdom, after all.

The main appeal of the Pathfinder campaign is the opportunity to rule your own little kingdom. Before ruling the lands, though, I have to reclaim them from ancient curses and vicious bandits. The tutorial leaves me with a ragtag team of classic fantasy tropes, a list of villains to kick, and a large time limit (this is an RPG where many quests are given a countdown, with negative consequences if you fail to finish them in time, rather than allowing you to ignore impending doom in favour of fishing).

Battles occur in real time, but at any point I can pause the game to give orders to my party. The initial fights aren’t difficult, but as my party grows larger and the fights more intense, it becomes harder to understand if the fight is going badly because my strategy is wrong, or because of some unlucky rolls. Virtual dice rolls govern every action I take, and the results get quickly buried in the combat log.

In a tabletop campaign, DMs use their storytelling skills as much as their rulebooks. They are able to assess in real time whether throwing another casual encounter, or killing that limping party member, would be a fun challenge or just an act of cruelty. But the spirit that governs Pathfinder: Kingmaker is incapable of showing such mercy.

Unless we count the options menu as part of the DM’s duties, in which case they are a generous being. They let me tweak various rules, such as deciding how strong the enemies will be (anything over “normal” is an exercise in masochism), choosing how often the game will auto-pause, and even allowing me to disable death. Even the more technical parts of the game, like levelling up the characters, can be fully automated.

A part of me is grateful. Another part feels like the DM is treating me like a child, telling me “this is too complex for you” instead of properly explaining how to play. I can play without dying too much, but I know I’m missing half of the fun.

Because I am having fun, after all. I like travelling the world map, discovering new routes and trying to avoid the random events. I like to explore pretty locations while trying to not think too hard about the time limit hanging over my head. In this early part of the story, I need to reclaim the place before rival mercenaries do it first. The time limit is generous, but it gives me anxiety nevertheless, and I sadly try to limit my detours. The world is pleasant enough to explore (I love the number of critters hanging around) and it’s nice for once to be just a random fantasy adventurer instead of a hero.

But all too often, the DM interrupts my wanderings with new draconian rules. Want to level up? You need to choose which class to level up, select new powers, and distribute stat points. But does your build even make sense? Who knows. Want to rest? Here is a new fiddly menu. I keep playing, but I can’t stop thinking of another RPG I played not long ago, the one with the funny DM that let me do anything as long as it was amusing enough, incredibly stupid, or both.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 has spoiled me.

After clearing the first act and reclaiming the Stolen Lands (it took me a dozen hours), my character levels up from simple fantasy dude to Baron. With the new role comes new responsibilities, in the form of a management game.

I reclaim more land, establish new outposts, embellish my city with new buildings. I share the spotlight with my party members, appointing them as advisors so they can give my kingdom various bonuses and solve problems in my stead. It’s a game within a game, and while it doesn’t have the complexities of a true management sim, I’m not complaining. I find my kingdom easier to manage than my own party.

My new routine is pretty varied. I explore new locations, and as days pass, new problems arise. Some can be solved with a flick of my fingers and the intervention of an advisor, while others, like horrible monsters and assorted calamities, require a first-hand approach. I am half ruler, half fighter, and I have plenty to do. I only have one issue with all of this: the game seems way more interested in telling its own story than in telling mine.

The writing is so dry. Dialogues are endless lists of names and territories, accompanied by informative windows. Newly acquired companions reveal their sad background stories as soon as I meet them. And I am struggling to roleplay as my character, because the few dialogue choices often don’t fit with the stoic, charming guy I want to be.

One example that made me groan is a random event where some slavers attacked my party, demanding I consign them one of my men. It would have been a tense scene, if not for the option to casually ask them for more information about their enslavement company. Sure, I want to threaten you, says the DM. But also, here is a lore dump.

I’ve dealt with this kind of DM before. It’s the kind of person who spent so much time creating their perfect fantasy world, drawing maps and crunching numbers, they forgot what makes a role-playing game fun: the drama between the party members, the uneffective solutions, the silly shenanigans. At least, that’s what makes D&D fun for me.

I know there are people who love this kind of DM. They will admire the focus on battles and numbers, the variety in characters and builds, the merciless attention to detail. For players who grew up loving games like Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights, Pathfinder: Kingmaker might feel like sitting around a table with old friends. But I can’t stand DMs who prioritize the rules over the joy of telling a story.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Oh, would you look at that. Another progressive journo-mag with people that haven't played the game. And of course, obligatory storyfagging at the end for extra brownie points from the people that likes the idea of RPG:s but hates actually playing them, CRPG:s or otherwise. Why can't these faggots just read their shitty fan-fiction to eachother, instead, and get the fuck out of our hobby? Roleplaying-games-as-a-scene is fucking cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Haha - too many lore dumps, says RPS! https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/08/pathfinder-kingmaker-review/

Wot I Think - Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Starting a new tabletop RPG campaign is a bit like joining an complicated polyamorous relationship. You have to make sure you like your companions, but most importantly, you and the Dungeon Master must share the same vision. ANYWAY, my point is that in a game of Dungeons & Dragons, some DMs like to follow the rules by the book, others just use rules as a frame to tell a story. Some focus on combat, and some enjoy drama. Some have a very strict plotline to follow, while others start with vague ideas and let the players wander around. There isn’t a right or wrong way of playing. It’s just a matter of finding a group of people who like the same things you like.

Booting up Pathfinder: Kingmaker feels like starting a new tabletop campaign with strangers. After all, the game is a close adaptation of a renowned D&D campaign. But while I have a passing acquaintance with this ruleset, I don’t know what kind of storyteller will guide me through my adventure. What kind of Dungeon Master is it?

I sit at the table, eager to start. The game immediately lends me a character sheet and tells me to make a character. One thing is certain: this DM is not good at dealing with newcomers. It’s not a matter of maliciousness. They are simply so enmeshed in the Pathfinder world, so familiar with its rules, they can’t see why concepts that feel natural to them could also be confusing for new players. It tries to answer my questions, but every new tooltip is as dense as a brick. I’m glad I played a bit of D&D before, or I would be utterly lost. Still, the game feels overwhelming, and this feeling never truly goes away. Dazzled by too many possibilities, I decided to model my character after Griffith from the Berserk manga. I am going to get my own kingdom, after all.

The main appeal of the Pathfinder campaign is the opportunity to rule your own little kingdom. Before ruling the lands, though, I have to reclaim them from ancient curses and vicious bandits. The tutorial leaves me with a ragtag team of classic fantasy tropes, a list of villains to kick, and a large time limit (this is an RPG where many quests are given a countdown, with negative consequences if you fail to finish them in time, rather than allowing you to ignore impending doom in favour of fishing).

Battles occur in real time, but at any point I can pause the game to give orders to my party. The initial fights aren’t difficult, but as my party grows larger and the fights more intense, it becomes harder to understand if the fight is going badly because my strategy is wrong, or because of some unlucky rolls. Virtual dice rolls govern every action I take, and the results get quickly buried in the combat log.

In a tabletop campaign, DMs use their storytelling skills as much as their rulebooks. They are able to assess in real time whether throwing another casual encounter, or killing that limping party member, would be a fun challenge or just an act of cruelty. But the spirit that governs Pathfinder: Kingmaker is incapable of showing such mercy.

Unless we count the options menu as part of the DM’s duties, in which case they are a generous being. They let me tweak various rules, such as deciding how strong the enemies will be (anything over “normal” is an exercise in masochism), choosing how often the game will auto-pause, and even allowing me to disable death. Even the more technical parts of the game, like levelling up the characters, can be fully automated.

A part of me is grateful. Another part feels like the DM is treating me like a child, telling me “this is too complex for you” instead of properly explaining how to play. I can play without dying too much, but I know I’m missing half of the fun.

Because I am having fun, after all. I like travelling the world map, discovering new routes and trying to avoid the random events. I like to explore pretty locations while trying to not think too hard about the time limit hanging over my head. In this early part of the story, I need to reclaim the place before rival mercenaries do it first. The time limit is generous, but it gives me anxiety nevertheless, and I sadly try to limit my detours. The world is pleasant enough to explore (I love the number of critters hanging around) and it’s nice for once to be just a random fantasy adventurer instead of a hero.

But all too often, the DM interrupts my wanderings with new draconian rules. Want to level up? You need to choose which class to level up, select new powers, and distribute stat points. But does your build even make sense? Who knows. Want to rest? Here is a new fiddly menu. I keep playing, but I can’t stop thinking of another RPG I played not long ago, the one with the funny DM that let me do anything as long as it was amusing enough, incredibly stupid, or both.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 has spoiled me.

After clearing the first act and reclaiming the Stolen Lands (it took me a dozen hours), my character levels up from simple fantasy dude to Baron. With the new role comes new responsibilities, in the form of a management game.

I reclaim more land, establish new outposts, embellish my city with new buildings. I share the spotlight with my party members, appointing them as advisors so they can give my kingdom various bonuses and solve problems in my stead. It’s a game within a game, and while it doesn’t have the complexities of a true management sim, I’m not complaining. I find my kingdom easier to manage than my own party.

My new routine is pretty varied. I explore new locations, and as days pass, new problems arise. Some can be solved with a flick of my fingers and the intervention of an advisor, while others, like horrible monsters and assorted calamities, require a first-hand approach. I am half ruler, half fighter, and I have plenty to do. I only have one issue with all of this: the game seems way more interested in telling its own story than in telling mine.

The writing is so dry. Dialogues are endless lists of names and territories, accompanied by informative windows. Newly acquired companions reveal their sad background stories as soon as I meet them. And I am struggling to roleplay as my character, because the few dialogue choices often don’t fit with the stoic, charming guy I want to be.

One example that made me groan is a random event where some slavers attacked my party, demanding I consign them one of my men. It would have been a tense scene, if not for the option to casually ask them for more information about their enslavement company. Sure, I want to threaten you, says the DM. But also, here is a lore dump.

I’ve dealt with this kind of DM before. It’s the kind of person who spent so much time creating their perfect fantasy world, drawing maps and crunching numbers, they forgot what makes a role-playing game fun: the drama between the party members, the uneffective solutions, the silly shenanigans. At least, that’s what makes D&D fun for me.

I know there are people who love this kind of DM. They will admire the focus on battles and numbers, the variety in characters and builds, the merciless attention to detail. For players who grew up loving games like Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights, Pathfinder: Kingmaker might feel like sitting around a table with old friends. But I can’t stand DMs who prioritize the rules over the joy of telling a story.
TLDR;
This game sucks because in Pen and Paper I can roleplay the exact special snowflake character I want and here I cannot
:backawayslowly:

PrettyDeadman

Are you a cat lady?

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
But I can’t stand DMs who prioritize the rules over the joy of telling a story.
Without the rules, there is no game, you motherfucking retard! Go read a flipping comic book and leave the gaming to people who understands what rules are for!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
’ve dealt with this kind of DM before. It’s the kind of person who spent so much time creating their perfect fantasy world, drawing maps and crunching numbers, they forgot what makes a role-playing game fun: the drama between the party members, the uneffective solutions, the silly shenanigans. At least, that’s what makes D&D fun for me.

Fuck RPS with a ten foot pole. They don't deserve these games, I don't know why they even play them. They should stick to their Dragon Age Inquisitons and Mass Effects, there they don't have to bother about battles, and numbers.

Turjan

Arcane
the DM interrupts my wanderings with new draconian rules. Want to level up? You need to choose which class to level up, select new powers, and distribute stat points.

:abyssgazer:
So, like in every RPG ever?

Also, the game has an auto-level setting if he doesn't want to be bothered with that stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom