Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder : Kingmaker VS Wrath of the Righteous. Which one do you prefer?

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
It's disingenuous to compare a finished game to the one still in production.

cr0mag

Novice
Wotr is much more bearable companion wise if you just don't take any of the good-aligned ones. Sending Seelah back to Compton and getting Regill in makes the game 100x better.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wotr is much more bearable companion wise if you just don't take any of the good-aligned ones. Sending Seelah back to Compton and getting Regill in makes the game 100x better.

Yep. I can't bare to play WoTR as good anymore.

Good is all about ingenuity(CG) or following stupid laws(LG) and equality cultism. While in Kingmaker, good is about being generous and doing what is the best for most people.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thought PF:KM was the best RPG in years, did two very thorough playthroughs, clocked hundreds of hours.

Heard they dialed the pozz up to eleven this time around so I held off until the other day when I saw it on sale for 20 bucks. Figured, why not give it a spin?

Just finished the intro dungeon. Longest intro dungeon I've seen since I was 8 years old playing Ultima Underworld for the first time, wondering when the hell I'd get out of the dungeon and everything would switch to normal isometric Ultima.

The pozz is frontloaded and laid on so thick I feel like a freshman gender studies major at Berkeley.

Haven't been able to confirm yet if this game has a world map but I'm having a hard time picturing myself slogging through much more of what is so far a gauntlet of trash mobs and trash loot, with towering walls of insipid text. This thread is making a refund sound pretty appealing.

The game requires hypertrophy of the nose-holding muscles, but there's still a lot of fun to be had if you enjoyed PFK. It's not that different of a game really (although as a work of art, PFK does hang together better, on the whole).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Yep. I can't bare to play WoTR as good anymore.

Good is all about ingenuity(CG) or following stupid laws(LG) and equality cultism. While in Kingmaker, good is about being generous and doing what is the best for most people.
In P:K Good is about Mercy.

Wrath writing is harder to get into rather than just clicking thru.

Tenebris

Scholar
Around the time of release I would've said Wrath but after going back to Kingmaker I realized just how much more I enjoyed that one.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Wrathfinder is better because it goes full retard and pathfinder is a retarded setting and ruleset so you can at least enjoy how wack it is. Kingmaker is just neither here or there, it doesn't have the weight of BG1 but also feels too simple for scale of the ruleset.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like both Kingmaker & WotR now. Turn based mode is necessary, otherwise both games are significantly worse.

Playing Kingmaker now, I defeated the trolls and am waiting for the next big threat. I will complete the game this time.

I found WotR to be too long, put it down after reaching the demon city, but after kingmaker I'm going to return. Will try a Lich play through and just ruin everyone's day. Swarm is too much for me.

Shuruga

Educated
I couldn't get into Kingmaker because the writing struck me as insipid and tropey. "Hi, I'm the plucky bard!" "I'm the scheming wizard!" "I'm the dumb but good-hearted barbarian!" "Don't forget about me, I'm the conflicted but stalwart warrior!" etc. I suppose I am old and jaded but I just couldn't settle into it. I played for about 10 hours but the writing didn't really improve and the combat system felt OK at best to me.

I haven't tried Wrath because it seems like it doubles down on Kingmaker's issues.

I know both games have devoted fans; tastes vary and all that. But given my first impressions, do you experienced Codexians think it is worth trying Kingmaker again or giving Wrath a shot?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I couldn't get into Kingmaker because the writing struck me as insipid and tropey. "Hi, I'm the plucky bard!" "I'm the scheming wizard!" "I'm the dumb but good-hearted barbarian!" "Don't forget about me, I'm the conflicted but stalwart warrior!" etc. I suppose I am old and jaded but I just couldn't settle into it. I played for about 10 hours but the writing didn't really improve and the combat system felt OK at best to me.

I haven't tried Wrath because it seems like it doubles down on Kingmaker's issues.

I know both games have devoted fans; tastes vary and all that. But given my first impressions, do you experienced Codexians think it is worth trying Kingmaker again or giving Wrath a shot?
The rest of the game is a send-up of those tropes. You missed the joke.

Evidently so did a lot of the people that bought it except they liked the tropes so you get some played straight in Wrath.

Yosharian

Arcane

Completely agree, I couldn't stand the characters in Kingmaker.

I think the ones in Wrath are much better though. Regill in particular is great. I mean, there are some terrible ones, but overall they are better.

I found WotR to be too long, put it down after reaching the demon city, but after kingmaker I'm going to return. Will try a Lich play through and just ruin everyone's day. Swarm is too much for me.

I stopped last year close to Drezen (wasn't much in the mood anyway.) But yeah, it took me two weeks of holidays (turn-based, naturally) to even get that far. However, I got back to my save last week and it's sucked me in since. I have my army of undead now, of course. ;)

What I liked about Kingmaker is that it's at first kinda like a cross between BG1 and Realms Of Arkania 1+2. It's fairly low level and nothing overly epic going on... so there's this bandit lord, beat him. Plus, traveling and resting was obviously inspired by RoA (always a bonus point).

What dragged the game down a bit in my final rating were some of the latter chapters. The final rush to the ending was just one map full of paste&copy mobs after another (even though the "true" boss fight made up for that some again). Hopefully Wrath won't be the same. Aside of that, I still listen to parts of the soundtrack and get fond memories of the parts I really liked -- curiously, some of those have RoA vibes as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0uJnQWClg

Reina

Arcane
I'd acts I-IV of Kingmaker are better than Wrath, but the dreadful HatEoT puts the first game way below the sequel. Wrath's ending isn't great, but it's ten times better than the slog at the end of Kingmaker.
Also, lots of QoL improvements, in particular option to skip cutscenes, make the second game superior to me.

Kingmaker because of the story and pacing mainly, as well as better writing.

-Prefer the crusade to kingdom management but it still disappointing and is nowhere close to HoMM, not by a longshot.

Blame the people who are fairly vocal about that they don't want anything on top of their questing and adventuring (as they were about RoA's traveling back in the 90s already -- years before BG2 et all were a thing and all you did there was clicking to get from one quest action setpiece to another).

Kingmaker had timers already. It had carry weight slowing down travels. It had many interesting things going on atop of that "Whoa! it's kinda like BG" appeal. However, barely any of those mattered much either, as those were timers for people who don't like timers clearly. How many months did you have left after defeating the Staglord alone? This kind of design extents some to the army management as well. Even on the hardest setting.

It's clearly designed so as to not alienate the crowd who just wants to jump from one quest to the next.

Shuruga

Educated
Thanks for the responses!:-D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom